ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Officially Official 2022 Big Ten Tournament Thread

I don't know if anyone is saying it was a guaranteed win before they wrestled. It will always be close and it just felt Kerk really ****ed an almost sure win (at the time) up with a real mental lapse. A mental lapse that Cass has shown he doesn't make.
Oh really, Cass doesn't make mental lapses? Cass was pinned this year and I don't think Greg was.

I feel like those moments are pretty common for every team. We’ve certainly had our fair share over the years. There’s a reason why mental toughness is perhaps the biggest prerequisite to success in the sport.
I thought when Nolf got hurt and had to change his dynamics he showed another side of him that confirmed how special he was. His mat and clock awareness was awesome. Not all wrestlers have that mind set.

Reactions: creamery freak
Posting in the heat of the match is generally not a great idea. It was especially aggravating when Iowa posters point to that match last night as some type of evidence that Cass is clearly better than Kerk. Mind-boggling.

Here is the bottom line: whether we win today or not, the ONLY thing that matters is that we win in 2 weeks. End of discussion.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Dang! I just got to read about 6 pages of BWI chanting
"We are"
"HR"

A kid wrestled a helluva match, made a mistake and lost. Let's crush him, let's doubt him and by God let's belittle his intellect and character.
If there were any posts belittling Kerk's intellect or character, I must have missed them. Making a single very bad decision doesn't mean one lacks intellect.

Reactions: David Keller
Posting in the heat of the match is generally not a great idea. It was especially aggravating when Iowa posters point to that match last night as some type of evidence that Cass is clearly better than Kerk. Mind-boggling.

Here is the bottom line: whether we win today or not, the ONLY thing that matters is that we win in 2 weeks. End of discussion.
We didn’t base it on that one match. Cass has beat him 3 straight. I guarantee if any Penn St wrestler was 3-0 against any other opponent you wouldn’t claim the opponent was better. It’s fine to be a homer but you have to expect disagreement when results don’t back up your claim

We didn’t base it on that one match. Cass has beat him 3 straight. I guarantee if any Penn St wrestler was 3-0 against any other opponent you wouldn’t claim the opponent was better. It’s fine to be a homer but you have to expect disagreement when results don’t back up your claim
I actually agree with you but We should all just agree to drop it. The argument will go no where. Let’s move on and wait for the next argument to drop into our laps so I can totally own you and JS. Lmao. I kid, I kid…

For any of our wrestlers who did not reach their goals, we should share their disappointment and support their efforts to learn and improve. These are fine young men who are striving to be the best wrestlers and people they can become. What they do in the next weeks, months and years will help build the core strengths that will support them and our country for the rest of their lives. I'm grateful for all their efforts.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it home as soon as I would have liked yesterday to watch most of the tournament. I did make it home to watch semis, and kept checking updates throughout the day. Its no secret the big ten tournament is the toughest conference tournament out there, and it has proved it is a gauntlet once again. I'm going to go through the weights but the only real insight I have is on the semis since that's the only matches I actually got to watch. The other 3 weights I will simply relay information that has been passed on to me and I've read.

125: From what was passed on to me, Drew didn't look as good as he has ( obviously ). Here's the deal with this weight, we know the top tier has 3 guys in Suriano, Glory, and Vito. The next tier seems to have about 20 with all of them beating each other at some point this season. Now isn't the time for us to abandon ship on any of our guys, its time to rally around them. The goal is to get the next best thing, and for Drew, that's qualifying for Detroit. Win this next match and let the pieces fall where they may.

133: RBY and Ragusin in a rematch of the dual where RBY barely missed the major. I don't want to say RBY took his foot off the gas, but in previous years, he's much more methodical come tournament time. He controlled the whole match and put quite a ride on. He sees Desanto once again in the finals. Does he open up more than he did in the dual and show the gap has widened? Or does he use the technique he used in the dual and basically go strictly defense? The latter worries me a bit because from what I've heard, stalling calls have been abundant so far.

141: Maybe the most dominant semi of any wrestler last night. Typical Nick Lee chopping wood and carrying water, and not relaxing in any position. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the Eierman Seabass semi but if the injury rumors are true, it makes perfect sense. Seabass knows he has to beat one of, if not both of them to win a title. I don't see Eierman and Lee being on the same side, so most likely will need to beat both. To do that, he will need to be 100% and letting himself get there is the best bet. Another fantastic final coming this afternoon.

149: I got a text saying Beau was looking pretty good in his first match beating Blockhus. I thought stylistically he matched up decent with Gomez, judging from the score I was wrong. Seen a few posts about him not opening up against VanBrill. This shouldn't even be a topic of discussion because that's how he has wrestled all year. I myself have maintained confidence that he would eventually start opening up, but definitely not surprised that he hasn't. As I said with Drew, the most important thing now is getting this next match to ensure wrestling in Detroit. Storr lost to Blockhus 7-5 and got pinned by VanBrill. I think the. key here will be for Beau to push the pace. Doesn't have to be a high volume of shots but making Storr work in all positions and staying engaged with heavy hands.

157: Watching Brady lose was a huge disappointment. I was disappointed in Brady, but in the situation. I don't think he had his best match by far. Didn't really commit to a shot and seemed like he wanted to play the counter game. The problem with that strategy was Lewan didn't really give Brady anything to counter. When you play that game, you run the risk of giving one up late and not having time to recover, or obviously giving one up in SV to end the match. Once again, the next best thing is the best thing. He gets Coleman of Purdue next. Every match for Brady is huge. He needs an auto spot probably more than anyone in the country at any weight.

165: Heart goes out to Edsell who will be looking for an at large. Didn't get to see his matches but if he wrestled how he did all year I know the effort was there. Conference tournaments are never a good time not to have your best but sometimes it happens. I have no idea on the numbers if he's in consideration for an auto spot or not, but all we can do is hope.

174: One of the top two most anticipated semis, and neither of them happened. Was told Kem was in quite a bit of pain, so again, it makes sense. Star gets Massa in the finals after a great match with Labs. Wish I could offer more, but didn't get a chance to see him in action so I'll wait until my write up after the finals to give a proper analysis.

184: Brooks controls Venz again. I can't help but think every time he steps across from his he has extra motivation. Thought after he had 2 mins of ride time built up he would push for the major, but credit to Venz as he's still a dangerous wrestler, but Brooks did a great job to get out of the legs. We get another great final in Brooks and Amine. The first match was fireworks and I expect nothing less.

197: Caffey must be a lot stronger, more athletic, and more dangerous than I think. Dean was in deep on multiple occasions and just couldn't convert. He was able to take a lot out of Caffey with a good ride, and was close to grabbing the leg for the bow and arrow a time or two, just couldn't quite get it. Caffey's game plan with top guys is usually keep it close and steal at the end. Dean did a great job in making sure it didn't happen. Dean now gets Schultz who Beard lost to controversially. I don't think Dean is as good as Beard on his feet, which is where Beard had his success against Schultz. However, Dean is much better on the mat so it should be another great match.

285: This one left a sour taste. Kerk had Cass, and proved he most definitely can beat him. He seemed a little passive on his feet. That was a surprise and I expect that to change since both doubles he hit on Cass he converted. I seen Desanto look at Brands during the Byrd match and make the double thigh pry gesture. This is a ride they obviously work on, and it is quite effective. PSU has obviously been working on a counter that is equally effective. So, we know Kerk can take him down, we now know Kerk has a few things to get Cass out of the double thigh pry, and Kerk even put a decent ride on Cass. Kerk unfortunately lost some awareness. He was 1 second away from ride time, and during that scramble instead of getting height, decided to try to bail with short time on the clock. This one will eat at Kerk. I won't degrade or get down on him, I am hoping he has learned more from this match than maybe any other match in his career. He has Davison from Northwestern next, then most likely Parris. I think losing to Paris would actually be more beneficial for seeding purposes, but I would never advocate to throwing a match or defaulting for seeding reasons.

It will be a great day of wrestling and it gets started soon. The team race is close and these are the types of tournaments we as fans should love to watch. Its the best time of the year.

We Are!

For any of our wrestlers who did not reach their goals, we should share their disappointment and support their efforts to learn and improve. These are fine young men who are striving to be the best wrestlers and people they can become. What they do in the next weeks, months and years will help build the core strengths that will support them and our country for the rest of their lives. I'm grateful for all their efforts.
^^^^^ Great post!

Hildebrandt gets it done against the #12 seed, but didn't look that good in doing so. One TD and riding time. A win is a win, but I would normally expect Hildebrant to muster more offense than a single TD against this level of completion. I'm starting to wonder if he's not 100% physically.

Hildebrandt gets it done against the #12 seed, but didn't look that good in doing so. One TD and riding time. A win is a win, but I would normally expect Hildebrant to muster more offense than a single TD against this level of completion. I'm starting to wonder if he's not 100% physically.
This is exactly who he has been for his entire college career.

exact same margin of victory he had against moran in the dual.

This is exactly who he has been for his entire college career.

"why doesn't the 6th year senior wrestle a totally different style this year than he has all his life?"

Reactions: Reslo
I might catch some flack, here. But I always seem to find myself rooting for Hensleman. I don’t know any particular reason why.

One point people keep saying is Kerk was a second away from riding time, but thing is with a reversal Cass them had two seconds to take away that one second of riding time. So riding time was not a concern either way, either hold on three sec and win without needing riding time or cut him and give up 1 and still win without riding time.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
exact same margin of victory he had against moran in the dual.

"why doesn't the 6th year senior wrestle a totally different style this year than he has all his life?"
Good info, I didn't realize that Hildebrandt beat Moran by exactly the same score in the dual. The latter comment; however, was unnecessary.

Reactions: js8793
if berge wasn't scoring team points, he would be one of my sentimental favs. very happy to see him healthy and wrestling well

however, i think we should invoke the bartlett-van brill clause of the wrestling fan bill of rights to prevent us from having to watch this third place match.

if berge wasn't scoring team points, he would be one of my sentimental favs. very happy to see him healthy and wrestling well

however, i think we should invoke the bartlett-van brill clause of the wrestling fan bill of rights to prevent us from having to watch this third place match.
Damn you are a hater aren’t you. Lol. I thought I was bad. Honestly I’ve been pulling for Murin all tourney. Still think he AAs this year. If Beau don’t win it all which I doubt he will and it doesn’t affect team race I hope Max pulls off the miracle.

Reactions: js8793
Obviously you haven't watched Hildebrandt wrestle much. He dominated the match and was never in danger of being scored upon. Personally I don;t care at all what you expect. Just saying.

Damn you are a hater aren’t you. Lol. I thought I was bad. Honestly I’ve been pulling for Murin all tourney. Still think he AAs this year. If Beau don’t win it all which I doubt he will and it doesn’t affect team race I hope Max pulls off the miracle.
hey my guy is the worse offender in that match up lol young v berge pt. 1 was enough for one weekend for me.

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT