ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Officially Official 2022 Big Ten Tournament Thread

The stqll warning on brooks was bullshit and I think he was stunned and paused. After that he looked totally gassed.
Questionable stall call, but don't think it influenced the match that much. Amine was just better at the end and looked to have a bit more in the tank. Again, a great match with two very high-level guys.

Reactions: nitlion6 and Ski
If that was a stall then amine should've gotten one for not getting into position when instructed. Brooks even called for it.

Questionable stall call, but don't think it influenced the match that much. Amine was just better at the end and looked to have a bit more in the tank. Again, a great match with two very high-level guys.
Looks are deceiving. Amine looks gassed in the first period and guts it out at the end. Stunned with that result. Brooks was very aggressive early.

Starocci's post-match comments ("We are better than Michigan") did not age well, not even until the 184 lb finals match.

How many point is kerk vs parris worth? Looks like we are down 2.5 puts According to track.

Kerk with a nice win over Parris, but not enough. UM wins the tournament by 1.5 points over PSU. The 184 finals bout was the difference, but it was due to really good balance for UM through all ten weights.

Congrats to UM, and great effort by all.

All of our wrestlers who had a bye in the first round did not receive any points for their by. I think that gives the team a competitive disadvantage since we have lower amount if max points. I think we would have won the team title if our wrestlers with byes would have been able to earn points instead of getting a bye.

Not just cass, but eirman and Kemmerer MFF too.
Those two (Eierman and Kemerer) were understandable, especially Kem. The MFF at 285, not so much. Would appear that Brands simply did not want to put Cass out there as fodder to Steveson.

Last edited:
All of our wrestlers who had a bye in the first round did not receive any points for their by. I think that gives the team a competitive disadvantage since we have lower amount if max points. I think we would have won the team title if our wrestlers with byes would have been able to earn points instead of getting a bye.
Meh. PSU had plenty of chances to come out on top. Hildebrandt laying an egg, Berge losing to Lewan in the semis, Brooks losing to Amine in the finals, etc. UM was just a little bit better; give them credit.

First off, hats off to Michigan. They put together quite a tournament. The room for error in these types of tournaments with the caliber of teams like PSU, UM, and Iowa is so small, and UM made the least amount of mistakes.

Was thinking about doing a write up of all 10 weights, but I'll just stick to our matches from this evening.

133: RBY knows a thing or two about winning matches. He is so poised and positionally aware, and that has to be extremely frustrating for every opponent, especially Desanto. Once again, Desanto is in on shots, and there is zero panic from RBY. I thought Desanto had his best chance of a takedown when he got to the single and RBY tried to circle back around with the limp leg, but Desanto still couldn't convert. I'm not sure if we see this match again or not. I could see Desanto being the 3 seed, or pushed to the 4. RBY is the clear cut 1.

141: Wanted to see this match again pretty bad. Lee is the clear cut 1 for NCAAs, Eierman probably the 2. The interesting part will be where they put Seabass. I think he's clearly one of the top 3 in the weight. I get using formulas and everything else for seeding purposes, but sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. We shall wait and see.

157: Thought there was going to be a bit of deja vu with Brady going into OT looking a little passive. But what an absolute beautiful shot to seal the win, and the third spot on the podium. He put together quite a tournament beating Young ranked #9 twice, Coleman ranked #12, Model who was the 7 seed even though his ranking is quite a bit lower, and only lost to Lewan ranked #10. Hopefully he gets a favorable seed and can do some damage. I can definitely see him being on the podium this year.

174: Starocci looked the part of the #1. Massa's attack numbers are always pretty high and sooner or later he usually converts. That wasn't the case tonight. Starocci was in on his own attacks, converted when he needed to, put on a tough ride, and finished the tournament the way we needed him too. Another one seed for the Lions in Detroit.

184: One of the weirder matches I've watched this year. I thought Brooks controlled the whole match. I thought he was staying engaged when hit with the stall and that seemed to bother him a bit. It looked like Amine was gassed in the first but kudos to him to gut out a win, especially against a guy like Brooks. This was the first time in a long time Brooks didn't look fresh at the end. Thought I saw him grimace a few times like something was bothering him, but hopefully it was just the rigors of the match. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, maybe there was a little added pressure about being undefeated and now that's gone. Detroit is the bigger picture and hopefully we see a rematch. I'm thinking Brooks gets pushed to the 3 seed with Amine and Hidlay in front of him respectively.

197: Great match by Dean. Controlled center and converted his stuff when he needed to. I only got to watch his semis and final match, and obviously with him winning the whole thing its easy to say, but I think those were the best two matches I watched him wrestle this year, and that's without hitting the bow and arrow in either. I feel a little more confident with Dean going to Detroit because there was a part of me that thought he needed to hit that signature move to win his matches, and he proved me wrong. He has avenged his only loss on the season, and think its a realistic possibility of another top seed in Detroit.

285: Kerk beat Parris yet again to probably solidify he's top 3. I refuse to put Schultz in that convo, even though he's probably the 2 seed. He had his chance to be in the conversation but through no fault of his own, his coaches sat him. They don't have a choice to wrestle the top guys in 2 weeks, so he has a chance to be in my conversation then. Kerk wrestled a good match against Parris especially getting that last takedown in the third to seal it. Thought for a second he was going to throw Parris to his back off that one shot but Parris is still a great athlete and was able to recover. I'm guessing Kerk gets the 4 seed and Parris maybe the 6th. With I think 4 losses, Wyatt Hendrickson could get the 5.

Pushing 9 to Detroit for sure and hoping for 1 at large is a hell of a tournament. If Drew doesn't MFF that last match, we may even end up winning it. I'm not blaming the coaches, or any individual wrestler for taking second. That's a great accomplishment that the entire team and fan base should be proud of. Its no secret we left some points on the table. I think the only guy on the team that basically maxed out was Nick Lee.

While a lot of us knew, Michigan showed everyone should know they're for real. They have multiple title contenders, and a great AA support staff. I'm thinking Detroit has basically boiled down to 3 teams. UM, Iowa, and us. All we can do is watch and support our guys, and hope they put their absolute best on the mat for 7 minutes every round.

We Are!

First off, hats off to Michigan. They put together quite a tournament. The room for error in these types of tournaments with the caliber of teams like PSU, UM, and Iowa is so small, and UM made the least amount of mistakes.

Was thinking about doing a write up of all 10 weights, but I'll just stick to our matches from this evening.

133: RBY knows a thing or two about winning matches. He is so poised and positionally aware, and that has to be extremely frustrating for every opponent, especially Desanto. Once again, Desanto is in on shots, and there is zero panic from RBY. I thought Desanto had his best chance of a takedown when he got to the single and RBY tried to circle back around with the limp leg, but Desanto still couldn't convert. I'm not sure if we see this match again or not. I could see Desanto being the 3 seed, or pushed to the 4. RBY is the clear cut 1.

141: Wanted to see this match again pretty bad. Lee is the clear cut 1 for NCAAs, Eierman probably the 2. The interesting part will be where they put Seabass. I think he's clearly one of the top 3 in the weight. I get using formulas and everything else for seeding purposes, but sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. We shall wait and see.

157: Thought there was going to be a bit of deja vu with Brady going into OT looking a little passive. But what an absolute beautiful shot to seal the win, and the third spot on the podium. He put together quite a tournament beating Young ranked #9 twice, Coleman ranked #12, Model who was the 7 seed even though his ranking is quite a bit lower, and only lost to Lewan ranked #10. Hopefully he gets a favorable seed and can do some damage. I can definitely see him being on the podium this year.

174: Starocci looked the part of the #1. Massa's attack numbers are always pretty high and sooner or later he usually converts. That wasn't the case tonight. Starocci was in on his own attacks, converted when he needed to, put on a tough ride, and finished the tournament the way we needed him too. Another one seed for the Lions in Detroit.

184: One of the weirder matches I've watched this year. I thought Brooks controlled the whole match. I thought he was staying engaged when hit with the stall and that seemed to bother him a bit. It looked like Amine was gassed in the first but kudos to him to gut out a win, especially against a guy like Brooks. This was the first time in a long time Brooks didn't look fresh at the end. Thought I saw him grimace a few times like something was bothering him, but hopefully it was just the rigors of the match. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, maybe there was a little added pressure about being undefeated and now that's gone. Detroit is the bigger picture and hopefully we see a rematch. I'm thinking Brooks gets pushed to the 3 seed with Amine and Hidlay in front of him respectively.

197: Great match by Dean. Controlled center and converted his stuff when he needed to. I only got to watch his semis and final match, and obviously with him winning the whole thing its easy to say, but I think those were the best two matches I watched him wrestle this year, and that's without hitting the bow and arrow in either. I feel a little more confident with Dean going to Detroit because there was a part of me that thought he needed to hit that signature move to win his matches, and he proved me wrong. He has avenged his only loss on the season, and think its a realistic possibility of another top seed in Detroit.

285: Kerk beat Parris yet again to probably solidify he's top 3. I refuse to put Schultz in that convo, even though he's probably the 2 seed. He had his chance to be in the conversation but through no fault of his own, his coaches sat him. They don't have a choice to wrestle the top guys in 2 weeks, so he has a chance to be in my conversation then. Kerk wrestled a good match against Parris especially getting that last takedown in the third to seal it. Thought for a second he was going to throw Parris to his back off that one shot but Parris is still a great athlete and was able to recover. I'm guessing Kerk gets the 4 seed and Parris maybe the 6th. With I think 4 losses, Wyatt Hendrickson could get the 5.

Pushing 9 to Detroit for sure and hoping for 1 at large is a hell of a tournament. If Drew doesn't MFF that last match, we may even end up winning it. I'm not blaming the coaches, or any individual wrestler for taking second. That's a great accomplishment that the entire team and fan base should be proud of. Its no secret we left some points on the table. I think the only guy on the team that basically maxed out was Nick Lee.

While a lot of us knew, Michigan showed everyone should know they're for real. They have multiple title contenders, and a great AA support staff. I'm thinking Detroit has basically boiled down to 3 teams. UM, Iowa, and us. All we can do is watch and support our guys, and hope they put their absolute best on the mat for 7 minutes every round.

We Are!
1 thing: the 9th place match scores 0 team points. Plenty of other places we could have made up the difference though.

Wow, Starocci not making friends in Michigan with that post-match interview. I like confidence, but no need to give the other guys bulletin board material.
LOVE his interviews.

Redshirt year…
”who do you look up too in the room”?
Carter: “No one”

Its not just opponents, he just tells it like it is.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
so I guess after the brands found out they couldnt win they said stop all matches we have to get back to iowa and get ready for the ncaa tourney maybe we can get 5th or 6th place!!losers

LOVE his interviews.

Redshirt year…
”who do you look up too in the room”?
Carter: “No one”

Its not just opponents, he just tells it like it is.
Lol. Reminds me of when Jack Lambert was drafted (rd 2) and he went up to Lynn Swann (rd 1) at camp and growled..”I should have been the number one pick”.

so I guess after the brands found out they couldnt win they said stop all matches we have to get back to iowa and get ready for the ncaa tourney maybe we can get 5th or 6th place!!losers
You may not be far off. Lots of good teams out there. NCST, VT and ISU are 3 that could jump Iowa. Especially if Kem or any of the other injured guys can't make it through the tournament.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
How many byes did Michigan get?

They had 3 and I think we had 6. Not sure what the value was for a first round win.
source: Page 51 (of 112 pages) in NCAA 2021-22 and 2022-23 Wrestling Rules Book

Fall 2
Forfeit, Medical Forfeit 2
Default 2
Disqualification 2
Flagrant Misconduct 2
Technical Fall 1½
Advancement in Championship Bracket 1
Advancement in Wrestle-Back Bracket ½
Major Decision (by 8 through 14 points) 1
Bye followed by a win in Championship Bracket 1
Bye followed by a win in Wrestle-Back Bracket ½