ADVERTISEMENT

Roar's Big Ten Seeding Review

I'd hate to be one of the guys who gave their best version all season long, and earned that seed, but got bumped down and got a tougher opener that puts my NCAA qualification at risk, because some committee speculated that Amine saved his best for the postseason.
Exactly the reason I use the 2023-2024 conference season ONLY. Duals do matter that way. Prior years performances should be set aside and not used. You get what you earn THIS YEAR.

The only thing that matters to me when I do my silly exercise each year is create logic for a starting point (seed & subsequent placement in the bracket). I try to remove all bias and prejudice and let the numbers speak.

In the case of Cameron Amine, here's his conference resume;
-- Losses to A. Taylor, M. Mesenbrink, and C. Fish
-- His wins;
- Fall against #233 (Wrestlestat) and 1-8 Ryan Money
- SV win against #97 and 8-10 Luke Gayer
- 4-1 Decision against #140 and 4-8 Nicholas South
- SV win against #104 and 10-12 Tyler Swiderski

No way a #6 seed is warranted.
The B1G has him two places above me, so one might say no big deal. Normally, I'll honestly say, it does tend to work itself out, but E-J's comment above is still true, and at times will affect an outcome for a kid whose dream it is to wrestle at the NCAA tournament.

Time for a check, or evaluation. Following is a difference metric, comparing my seeds to the Big Ten's. The idea is that the lower the number, the closer the seeds were, the higher the number, the further away, on average;
125: .57
133: .78
141: .50
149: .43
157: 1.14
165: .64
174: .29
184: .71
197: .29
285: .36

So, we were closest at 174, 197 and 285, furthest away (by far) at 157, then 133.

Reactions: ccdiver
The biggest gift seed is Brayton Lee..Gets the 3 seed with 8 total matches 3-0 in conference and didnt wrestle any of top 6 seeds
He was actually 4-0 beating North, Blaze, Wilcox and Lewan but your point remains. He skipped Haines (Penn St), Saldate (Michigan St), Chumbley (Northwestern) and Desantis (Rutgers). Best case is probably 2-2. Hoping the seeds change but not holding my breath. They rarely make changes.

He was actually 4-0 beating North, Blaze, Wilcox and Lewan but your point remains. He skipped Haines (Penn St), Saldate (Michigan St), Chumbley (Northwestern) and Desantis (Rutgers). Best case is probably 2-2. Hoping the seeds change but not holding my breath. They rarely make changes.
Franek and Robb got screwed because they wrestled all their matches

Time for a check, or evaluation. Following is a difference metric, comparing my seeds to the Big Ten's. The idea is that the lower the number, the closer the seeds were, the higher the number, the further away, on average;
125: .57
133: .78
141: .50
149: .43
157: 1.14
165: .64
174: .29
184: .71
197: .29
285: .36

So, we were closest at 174, 197 and 285, furthest away (by far) at 157, then 133.
Using the same grading curve as my Physics 201 class, you get an 'A'. Congrats!

Personally I appreciate how B1Gs does the seeds. There is some common sense involved. Roar was as thorough as can be (same with jmadden). That being said..no way Nagao going to get an 8 seed, Truax wasn’t going to fall behind Rogatske, Yara had some bad losses and ends at 4, etc). This common sense won’t come into play at NCAA seeding since they use a strict matrix.

Haven’t gone thru everything thoroughly, but so far seems like they got it right. Even Amine..he should be 8 or 9, they have him 6 because I guess they figure if we get best version of Amine, he’s not going to be 8 or 9.

I feel like at B1Gs the coaches actually want the wrestlers seeded right. I’m sure Bormet didn’t want to see Nagao in quarters, Bono didn’t want Amine in quarters, etc..yes Nagao probably deserved an 8 seed but he’s not the 8th best wrestler and the coaches take this into consideration
I actually dont have a problem w any of BIGs ranking either. Just throwing some love to Roar and recognizing his work which I look forward to every year.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT