ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa game thread

You're seeing what you want to see. Forget about it though. We won that's all that matters.

Nope. I’ve disagreed with PSU fans on supposed bad calls this game. Not a homer in that regard. The receiver’s right arm clearly grabs Reid by just below the shoulder, giving him some “stop and jump” power while yanking Reid forward toward the end zone and preventing Reid from jumping up to challenge. Still incredibly athletic to make the play, regardless ... but obvious PI on the offense (on slow mo replay, at least). Additionally, the ball comes loose after it hits the ground, and after he flips over, you see it moving freely before he regrasps.

It was the wrong call, but I can’t be too mad since it’s not that easy in real time or if you don’t have the correct angle.

The phantom Reid hold and the Freiermuth replay reversal on the other hand ... those were egregious. And had the added “benefit” of being followed up by unfortunate events for PSU.

Last edited:
1. Great game by the defense (for the most part). Allowed a couple long drives/big pass plays, but kept the rushing attack in check. Windsor had an incredible game.
2. Cain should be starter, although he is a great weapon in the fourth quarter when the opposing defense is getting tired.
3. I think the overturning of Toney’s targeting was payback for the overturned TD. Still doesn’t make either of them right.
4. If O’Neil is calling next week’s game, can someone please find out what hotel he’s staying at, so his elevator can accidentally get stuck for, oh, ten to twelve hours?

Nope. I’ve disagreed with PSU fans on supposed bad calls this game. Not a homer in that regard. The receivers right arm clearly grabs Reid by just under the shoulder, giving him some “stop and jump” power while yanking Reid forward and preventing Reid from jumping up to challenge. Still incredibly athletic to make the play, regardless ... but obvious PI on the offense (on slow mo replay, at least). Additionally, the ball comes loose after it hits the ground, and after he flips over, you see it moving freely before he regrasps.

It was the wrong call, but I can’t be too mad since it’s not that easy in real time or if you don’t have the correct angle.

The phantom Reid hold and the Freiermuth replay reversal on the other hand ... those were egregious.

We disagree completely regarding the OPI which is fine. We agree 100% on the Freiermuth reversal.

Nope. I’ve disagreed with PSU fans on supposed bad calls this game. Not a homer in that regard. The receivers right arm clearly grabs Reid by just under the shoulder, giving him some “stop and jump” power while yanking Reid forward and preventing Reid from jumping up to challenge. Still incredibly athletic to make the play, regardless ... but obvious PI on the offense (on slow mo replay, at least). Additionally, the ball comes loose after it hits the ground, and after he flips over, you see it moving freely before he regrasps.

The phantom Reid hold and the Freiermuth replay reversal on the other hand ... those were egregious.

I feel dirty for agreeing with you......

The guy did grab Reid and used him for leverage. And there should be a question about the completion of the catch. The ball did hit the turf.

Well, all the BS aside, that was a win against a good ranked team in their house. The O showed signs of being pretty good. And they were able to run the ball to close out the game. Something this team has failed to do several times in tough games the last couple years.

Defense played a great game and held the Iowa offense in check. Got a couple turnovers and nice QB pressure.

Well, all the BS aside, that was a win against a good ranked team in their house. The O showed signs of being pretty good. And they were able to run the ball to close out the game. Something this team has failed to do several times in tough games the last couple years.

Defense played a great game and held the Iowa offense in check. Got a couple turnovers and nice QB pressure.
The problem is after Iowa finishes unranked, Penn State will still be 0-6 against ranked teams.

Nope. I’ve disagreed with PSU fans on supposed bad calls this game. Not a homer in that regard. The receiver’s right arm clearly grabs Reid by just below the shoulder, giving him some “stop and jump” power while yanking Reid forward toward the end zone and preventing Reid from jumping up to challenge. Still incredibly athletic to make the play, regardless ... but obvious PI on the offense (on slow mo replay, at least). Additionally, the ball comes loose after it hits the ground, and after he flips over, you see it moving freely before he regrasps.

The phantom Reid hold and the Freiermuth replay reversal on the other hand ... those were egregious. And had the added “benefit” of being followed up by unfortunate events for PSU.
Flip it all around - the Iowa guy is the defender. Does he interfere with Reid as a receiver? You bet be does. Total crap non call.

No argument here.

But there is only one MVP. That is Cain.
I don’t know about that. Windsor was huge. And as strong as Cain looked, the line made some holes for him that they don’t seem to make for the other guys. Is it just me, or do they seem to seem to call more direct runs with Cain?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Proud of Windsor, he's been quiet. But, did he ever show up tonight.
windsor.JPG

That's what he does; it's his schtick. Thinks it makes him look smarter than the unwashed masses. Ignore him.

Meh, I’m several beers into the evening. I’m not ignoring him. Anybody that tries to defend that non-call is an idiot. Again, it was obvious live and even worse on replay.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Madsol
I don’t know about that. Windsor was huge. And as strong as Cain looked, the line made some holes for him that they don’t seem to make for the other guys. Is it just me, or do they seem to seem to call more direct runs with Cain?
It does seem that way. But Cain makes it easy to make those calls. Always moves forward getting the tough yards. I'm highly impressed by him, especially as a true freshman. O line seems to block harder for him as well.

Reactions: Omar81

I asked the same question myself. Does the line block better for Cain? I saw a couple runs that suggested not. He's clearly #1 which was the point of my post.

Windsor was huge. HUGE. Give him #22... MEAN MACHINE.

Meh, I’m several beers into the evening. I’m not ignoring him. Anybody that tries to defend that non-call is an idiot. Again, it was obvious live and even worse on replay.

Didn't mean to put him on ignore, more just take what he says with an enormous grain of salt.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
That attitude is exactly why this BS is allowed to continue. Obviously it doesn't mean a damn thing coming from us fans, but someone that can make a difference needs to say something in a public forum.

Yes. Why in the world are sports officials these sacred cows whose performance can't be questioned? Every other position in the public eye is open to scrutiny but you can't say anything about officiating or you're fined or worse? Someone from Penn State (Franklin or Barbour IMHO) must demand an explanation from the conference of the overturn. They must. And it must be done publically. You ask fans to invest a lot of money and emotion into the program, we need to know we're on a level playing ground. Because right now, it feels like a stacked deck.

I asked the same question myself. Does the line block better for Cain? I saw a couple runs that suggested not. He's clearly #1 which was the point of my post.

Windsor was huge. HUGE. Give him #22... MEAN MACHINE.
As a former TE, when you have a back in there just taking it to the defense, it really gets the adrenaline flowing and the line gets a rhythm and confidence and starts blowing people off the ball. If the line blocks better for Cain, it's because they know he's going to kick ass. My opinion.

Clifford was clearly rattled by the pressure early. Even the 1st TD drive looked hurried. Not good rhythm. A couple of times Clifford kept the ball on busted plays.

That said, sometimes you've got to grind one out. This might make him better down the road.

I don’t think the line blocks better for Cain but I do think he’s the most patient RB. He allows the blocks to develop and then he hits his spot.

Anyone catch the replay on third and three? From behind the offense? The blocking wasn’t great but he just stuck his head down and trucked like 3 guys. Sometimes that’s all an offense needs. He always has momentum.

By the way, I thought Ford also looked good in limited carries tonight. Quite a one two punch for the next two and half years.

Reactions: Grass and paws1957
Clifford was clearly rattled by the pressure early. Even the 1st TD drive looked hurried. Not good rhythm. A couple of times Clifford kept the ball on busted plays.

That said, sometimes you've got to grind one out. This might make him better down the road.
Absolutely. The entire first quarter was mostly a disaster.

The Iowa D and their coaching staff deserves as well. They are a solid group and play tough. Their staff had a good game plan that didn't allow PSU to use their speed to their advantage.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT