ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Indiana Game Thread

This type of play should be the primary reason for video replay. If you don't have the balls to reverse what happens on the field, do away with it.

I would guess the review refs thought it hit the pylon and the OOB chalk simultaneously. Or that they didn't have an angle that showed otherwise, so the call on the field stands.

I agree...but he did enough to win...that loss is totally on Franklin...the only thing I can thing that I can think of as bad was the Miracle at the Meadowlands. Positively Pitt like.

I ask because I don’t know.. is Franklin making these calls or his Offensive and Defensive Coordinators ?

Ford not taking a knee is either his mistake or the coaches if they told him “ not” to score.

Tjos also had all the drama of last years game versus Minnesota.. both teams looking to talented next step.. Penn State walking into a snake pit etc etc.

Indiana Coach said Special Teams will be critical and he was 100 % correct,,

the missed 25 yard chip shot at halftime was a back breaker., as was his 49? Yard miss...

It was simply sloppy, undisciplined play. 3 turnovers, 2 missed field goals, targeting, offsides, facemask, all lead to a loss. Add in Ford’s horrendously stupid play, and it was ordained.
Agreed. This was a team loss if ever there was one.

I didn't have a problem with the refs letting the 2 point conversion stand - it was pretty near impossible to tell from the replay whether the football hit the pylon before or after it hit the ground out of bounds.

Season hopes dashed on opening weekend, eh? Yeah that can really suck. At least it wasn't some bottom dweller like Indiana or something.
Commence blaming the refs.

I didn't have a problem with the refs letting the 2 point conversion stand - it was pretty near impossible to tell from the replay whether the football hit the pylon before or after it hit the ground out of bounds.
The team want prepared properly. That is on the staff.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
ElIehmCWAAEffkg
I assume the Big Ten will send a Dear John letter on Monday

Nope. It is clear the ball hit the ground before the pylon. Sincere the pylon is right on the line here didn't get in. The refs blew it.

Not from the one side view shots they kept showing. You can see the ball hit OOB but you can't tell if it is also touching the pylon at that point.

Reactions: HazletonLion
Not from the one side view shots they kept showing. You can see the ball hit OOB but you can't tell if it is also touching the pylon at that point.
Not from my view. The tip of the ball hits the side of the pylon facing the field. Not the inside facing the endzone. the pylon is out of bounds

Reactions: Ski
UMd2clX.png

Anyone ever seen this? Are we the first-ever team to have the win probability bar hit 100%, AND STILL LOSE THE GAME???
Has he made excuses yet? Really interested to hear his response to this turd
Yeah right after the game on the radio talking about not having Brown then Cain getting hurt and turning the ball over to much. But his coaching cost PSU the game today.

Not from my view. The tip of the ball hits the side of the pylon facing the field. Not the inside facing the endzone. the pylon is out of bounds
If a ball carrier advancing from the field of play has possession of a live ball when it penetrates the opponent's goal line he shall be awarded a score. The pylon is in the end zone but is considered out of bounds. A player who touches a pylon is out of bounds.

The slow video show the ball imbed in turf and QB wrist bends probably one inch from marker.
The still tv camera shots were not enough for overturn but the video was.

Reactions: Omar81

The only way to hit the pylon with the ball and not have it considered breaking the plane is to hit the side facing the sideline. The ball may have hit OOB first, but you can't definitely tell from the replays.

If a ball carrier advancing from the field of play has possession of a live ball when it penetrates the opponent's goal line he shall be awarded a score. The pylon is in the end zone but is considered out of bounds. A player who touches a pylon is out of bounds.
That is the way I saw it. The pylon is the key. It gets hit and goes straight back

The only way to hit the pylon with the ball and not have it considered breaking the plane is to hit the side facing the sideline. The ball may have hit OOB first, but you can't definitely tell from the replays.
That's right. Watch the pylon. It doesn't go further oob, it goes strait back away from there playing field. That means the ball did not hit the inside of the pylon

That's right. Watch the pylon. It doesn't go further oob, it goes strait back away from there playing field. That means the ball did not hit the inside of the pylon
Trying to find a more definitive answer on this topic, and this is the best I got. This play appears to not be a touchdown----
The ball carrier is hit and his forward progress is stopped inbounds near the goal line at the side line to his right. When he is stopped, the ball is in his right hand extended beyond the goal line (a) inside the pylon; or (b) outside the pylon. Ruling: In (a) the ball extended inside the pylon across the goal line creates a touchdown and the ball is dead at that point. In (b) no part of his body touched the pylon or the ground in the end zone. In this case the plane is NOT extended for a touchdown. The ball is dead short of the goal line.

This three-part discussion of the rule changes for NCAA football 2011-2012 is intended for informational review only. It is written for the purpose of giving the reader some insight when while watching a college game, one of these rule changes arises. It is not meant to be comprehensive or inclusive of every possible scenario. I will be happy to discuss any rule question submitted to the football forum. Thank you Ronald J. North, M.D.

The ball hit the ground and visibly moved before hitting the pylon. It’s not whether the ball hit out of bounds — what matters is the ball hit the ground meaning the player was down before the pylon, and therefore before the goal line.

The ball hit the ground and visibly moved before hitting the pylon. It’s not whether the ball hit out of bounds — what matters is the ball hit the ground meaning the player was down before the pylon, and therefore before the goal line.
Yes to this , and yes to my above statement.

There was still too much time to kneel out the clock, had to run at least one play.
They didn’t need to kneel out the whole clock. If they take 4 knees IU has the ball around the 10 with around 20 seconds left and no time outs. I like our chances there. IU had one shot to win at that point, for use to be stupid and score there and it worked them.

They didn’t need to kneel out the whole clock. If they take 4 knees IU has the ball around the 10 with around 20 seconds left and no time outs. I like our chances there. IU had one shot to win at that point, for use to be stupid and score there and it worked them.
Or you call TO and kick aFG with 20 Left on the clock

Okay, so big deal? He made a mistake. Let’s fire a coach who’s won 42 games in four years because of one mistake. Entitled, terrible fans. That’s kind of my point.

If I, sitting on my couch, can say "Indiana is going to let them score here because it is their only chance of winning", then a guy making $6 million a year should be able to figure that out too. It isn't asking too much.

It should never have come down to that last play - give Indiana credit buy we handed the game to them - waaaay to many mistakes on both sides of the ball - the offensive coaching was pretty poor and really lacked imagination - gonna be a long season. OSU might drop 50 on is next week. Seems like we found a way to screw up on both sides of the ball and Special Teams.

Reactions: map-#1
The call was correct as the tip of the ball broke the plane before the ball hit the ground. I am shocked thought that IU got the call in that situation.

Clifford hurt IU with his feet today.

No it didn’t. Hit the side of the pylon facing upfield not the inside face facing across the field to the other pylon. If it had crossed the goal line in bounds it would have hit the inside face. Screw job. Oh well. Big ten is good for at least one a season. It is what it is.

Reactions: psuno1
No it didn’t. Hit the side of the pylon facing upfield not the inside face facing across the field to the other pylon. If it had crossed the goal line in bounds it would have hit the inside face. Screw job. Oh well. Big ten is good for at least one a season. It is what it is.
Ball was clearly down out of bounds before it hit the pylon. easy call to me made but it was not called.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Steve Jones and Jack Ham disagree with you. They both thought the conversion was good.

Apparently c

Disagree, they showed a third angle once which with the first angle clearly showed the ball hit out bounds first, before hitting the pylon or breaking the plane.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
If I, sitting on my couch, can say "Indiana is going to let them score here because it is their only chance of winning", then a guy making $6 million a year should be able to figure that out too. It isn't asking too much.

Yeah, was assuming they'd take a knee and was surprised when they ran a play. AND right before he crossed the line, the sideline was yelling at him to stop... so why even run a friggin play?

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT