ADVERTISEMENT

So would you sign Mason Rudolph?

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
His four game run was amazing considering the circumstances.

A) He was third string for two years….meaning he got zero snaps in practice other then running the scout team against the defense. None with the starters.

B) Picket goes down around game ten and Trubisky gets the start for three games, Rudolph moved to second team. But since Trubisky needed practice he probably got 85% or so of the snaps in practice with Rudolph getting some.

C) The OC coordinator was fired so the offense was run by committee of HC and two other coaches. Made some changes that both QBs had to learn on the fly.

D) Major dissension on the team. Pickens would not run routes or block on run plays. Even stood and watched a opposing player pick up a fumble and run past him making no attempt to even touch the guy. Just stood there. Next game he ran away from a guy that had intercepted the ball. Dionte Johnson also refused to block on runs. Teammates were pissed, fans and sports writers outraged.

E) Head Coach under fire. Above issues plus failure to win a playoff game in six years.

F) Final game played at Baltimore…….had to win to have any reasonable shot at playoffs. Ravens rested six starters but the game was played ina torrential downpour making hard to throw or catch. And Rudolph went 18-20 won a game despite the pressure.

G) Played playoff game at Buffalo, in 20 degree/high winds of 30 MPH against a great Buffalo team. And had to play with out Defensive MVP finalist TJ Watt. Fell behind 21-7 at the half, Buffalo knew Steelers had to pass a lot to get back in the game, …. yet came back and had a chance to win. Probably his best half of football.

So with all this to overcome he played well winning three out of four games in bad conditions. Showed a lot of poise. Everyone watching felt the offense played much harder with him at the helm and players praised him after the season ended.

Seems to me he did enough to get a shot at starting somewhere. Tomlin already said Pickett is QB1 so Rudolph is most likely gone. The only question which team would he be a good fit and which could he have a good chan s to start?

I’d say there is nowhere that he’d have a good chance to start. His best option to start would likely be going to whoever drafts Penix/McCarthy/Nix, if they don’t have a great option and are looking for a bridge.

Reactions: Obliviax
It would be worth it just to see how much fans can get creative with his name...
Christmas Snow GIF by The Only Way is Essex

A) He was third string for two years….meaning he got zero snaps in practice other then running the scout team against the defense. None with the starters.

B) Picket goes down around game ten and Trubisky gets the start for three games, Rudolph moved to second team. But since Trubisky needed practice he probably got 85% or so of the snaps in practice with Rudolph getting some.

C) The OC coordinator was fired so the offense was run by committee of HC and two other coaches. Made some changes that both QBs had to learn on the fly.

D) Major dissension on the team. Pickens would not run routes or block on run plays. Even stood and watched a opposing player pick up a fumble and run past him making no attempt to even touch the guy. Just stood there. Next game he ran away from a guy that had intercepted the ball. Dionte Johnson also refused to block on runs. Teammates were pissed, fans and sports writers outraged.

E) Head Coach under fire. Above issues plus failure to win a playoff game in six years.

F) Final game played at Baltimore…….had to win to have any reasonable shot at playoffs. Ravens rested six starters but the game was played ina torrential downpour making hard to throw or catch. And Rudolph went 18-20 won a game despite the pressure.

G) Played playoff game at Buffalo, in 20 degree/high winds of 30 MPH against a great Buffalo team. And had to play with out Defensive MVP finalist TJ Watt. Fell behind 21-7 at the half, Buffalo knew Steelers had to pass a lot to get back in the game, …. yet came back and had a chance to win. Probably his best half of football.

So with all this to overcome he played well winning three out of four games in bad conditions. Showed a lot of poise. Everyone watching felt the offense played much harder with him at the helm and players praised him after the season ended.

Seems to me he did enough to get a shot at starting somewhere. Tomlin already said Pickett is QB1 so Rudolph is most likely gone. The only question which team would he be a good fit and which could he have a good chan s to start?
I would certainly give him a chance but what do I know? 🤷

There are three classifications of NFL teams when it comes to QB. A) they have a top ten QB B) They have a young QB that they think can grow into a top ten QB and C) teams searching for a top ten QB.

Unfortunately, neither Rudolf or Picket fall into A or B. And they won't ever be a top ten QB. Picket, only being in his second year, has a better chance than Rudolf but not much. I don't see any team signing him to be their starter unless it is to tutor a high draft pick for 2025.

Rudolph threw a bad pick on Buffalo's 3-yardline that completely changed the game, some are forgetting. Between Watt being out, and TOs at the worst moments possible, the Steelers had too much going against them. With that being said, I honestly thought the Steelers were pretty equal to the Bills.

I'd make Rudolph the transitional QB until (like someone else noted) we're ready to draft and develop the next potential franchise QB.

Reactions: dswartz and bison13

He is certainly a top level backup, but it would depend on the type of offense the teams run. He was a good backup for Ben.

Reactions: dswartz
Rudolph threw a bad pick on Buffalo's 3-yardline that completely changed the game, some are forgetting. Between Watt being out, and TOs at the worst moments possible, the Steelers had too much going against them. With that being said, I honestly thought the Steelers were pretty equal to the Bills.

I'd make Rudolph the transitional QB until (like someone else noted) we're ready to draft and develop the next potential franchise QB.
I'd certainly take Mason back for the right terms and conditions. The problem with the transitional QB approach is the circumstances that exist on the defensive side of the ball.

TJ and Minkah are in their prime. Cam can still be disruptive but he's getting up there in age. They need QB play consistent with what Rudolph gave them at the end of the regular season.

And I'm not convinced that that QB exists on the roster as KP is the only 1 currently under contract.

Unless decimated by injuries, the team as it is currently composed will not be bad enough to be in the position to draft and develop the next potential franchise QB.

It certainly was a bad pick. Rudolph shouldered the blame but it seemed to me like the receiver was as much to blame. He did not break back to the ball and allowed the defender to have easy access. Maybe the ball lacked zip - idk, but I did not like that the receiver made no effort to fight for the ball and box the defender out.

I would sign him. He hung in the pocket and made the throws. Kenny does not hang in there and is injury prone. I think rudolf showed more and is the better option.
Kenny is incompetent and has no talent. His redeeming virtue is that he is injury prone and doesn't play that much. The less Pickett plays the better off the Steelers are.

Last edited:

I’d also say Johnson did him no favors on that play. You need to come back to the football there. That said the window was too tight to fit that ball in.

Yes. He's the best QB on the team. Clearly.
Absolutely. The team responded offensively so much better with him. The wide receivers made plays the line blocked better, and in general, the offense just was much more well rounded.

He should go in to next year as the starter, kind of a bridge guy as was mentioned before, and if they can get another lineman, another corner, and an inside linebacker in their draft that can step in and play right away they will at least get to the same spot they were this year.

Absolutely. The team responded offensively so much better with him. The wide receivers made plays the line blocked better, and in general, the offense just was much more well rounded.

He should go in to next year as the starter, kind of a bridge guy as was mentioned before, and if they can get another lineman, another corner, and an inside linebacker in their draft that can step in and play right away they will at least get to the same spot they were this year.
I agree. At the very least Tomlin should have said it is open and both QBs have to compete to start. Give Rudolph some incentive to stay. Now he is more likely to leave.

And Tomlin put himself in a bad spot. If they keep Rudolph and Pickett starts he better not struggle early or the cry to replace him will be huge. And if Rudolyis gone people will be even more pissed if Pickett struggles.

Would have been better to say to be determined by competition. And if they are equal after exhibition season start Rudolph as everyone, including teammates, would be more patient with him considering his success and how poorly Pickett played.

This would have taken pressure off of Picket to come in later. Now as a starter he will feel he is on a short leash.

But no coach or team will admit a first round pick is a flop or needs three years to develop. Can’t admit to being wrong.

Well, the Vikings went to the NFC champ game on the back of Journeyman Case Keenum. He sucked everywhere else but with the Vikings. Somehow, the ownership decided that WB was their missing element and let him go in FA. Signed Cousins. They’ve qualified for the playoffs twice since and haven’t won a game. Keenum sucked with the Broncos next.

Keep Mason Rudolf. Punt the others. Something good is going on with him.

Pickett won’t block? lol. Not a QB problem.

I agree. At the very least Tomlin should have said it is open and both QBs have to compete to start. Give Rudolph some incentive to stay. Now he is more likely to leave.

And Tomlin put himself in a bad spot. If they keep Rudolph and Pickett starts he better not struggle early or the cry to replace him will be huge. And if Rudolyis gone people will be even more pissed if Pickett struggles.

Would have been better to say to be determined by competition. And if they are equal after exhibition season start Rudolph as everyone, including teammates, would be more patient with him considering his success and how poorly Pickett played.

This would have taken pressure off of Picket to come in later. Now as a starter he will feel he is on a short leash.

But no coach or team will admit a first round pick is a flop or needs three years to develop. Can’t admit to being wrong.

Tomlin needs to be examined by cranial medical professionals.

Something is wrong up there.

So how are we getting the next franchise QB? Need a top 3 draft pick if not the #1 pick.

While I agree with the general sentiment of your posts, I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

Other than KP, I'm not sure we know of the composition of their QB room. Mitch is under contract, but I don't believe he'll be retained. Mason is a FA so he would need to come to terms with the organization before he can compete for any position.

KP is under contract next year for less than $2mm so the former 1st round pick comes at an attractive price. If he can prove serviceable while continuing to improve, he will be given every opportunity to reestablish himself as the starter. There is no reason to discourage KP without a legitimate alternative under contract.

The response of his teammates when Mason became the starting QB was noticeable to me also and will be an important component in the final decision.

Fans discussing hypotheticals is what we do here. I'm not sure a public discussion of a coach's decision making process serves anyone's best interest.

Reactions: bison13 and JoeLion
Well, the Vikings went to the NFC champ game on the back of Journeyman Case Keenum. He sucked everywhere else but with the Vikings. Somehow, the ownership decided that WB was their missing element and let him go in FA. Signed Cousins. They’ve qualified for the playoffs twice since and haven’t won a game. Keenum sucked with the Broncos next.

Keep Mason Rudolf. Punt the others. Something good is going on with him.

Pickett won’t block? lol. Not a QB problem.
Pickens ….a wide receiver….won’t block. Stood and watched an opponent pick up a fumble and run past him. The next game there was an interception and instead of chasing after the return run up the left sidelines he ran down the right hash marks to stay away.

Somehow post game managed to get out of the locker room without a broken leg.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT