ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL Non-Troll MBB VS MINNESOTA thread

So much for the Big 10 tourney run.
What is it with our teams? Seriously. It seems that both teams passed on multiple opportunities to win. Penn State is young, and talented. Probably deserved to win. BigTen BBall is tough.

Anyway, there is something about when our teams play each other in any sport.Well now anyway. Overall, the games/ matches are competitive. I am sure your team will learn from this season.

Cheers!

Why Pat Why?

Tangentially, the refs in the B1g suck and they clearly had orders from corporate to make sure Minne won tonight

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Why Pat Why?

Tangentially, the refs in the B1g suck and they clearly had orders from corporate to make sure Minne won tonight

Ha! The refs do suck. The only thing is I don't think they would do it for Minnesota. I am not laughing at you, I am laughing at all of the horse crap calls I've seen over the last few years. I feel your pain.

Feels like we were robbed tonight. Refs missed numerous calls that changed the outcome of the game. Feel awful for the guys. They deserved the win tonight and would’ve given Purdue all they could handle. Serious screw job tonight in my opinion

This is the 22nd year of this BTT. Any guesses as to how many years we went out in the first game?

I'm done harping about all of it but I just thought of this tonight, as I knew a guy who went to this tournament many times and the procedure was always look for MSU or Purdue, IU, Michigan, whoever was hot that year, and sell your tickets for the rest of the weekend and get the hell out of there. It was a pretty good scam about 64% of the time, let's put it that way.

This was probably a pretty good B10 team that deserved better but 0-for-January didn't help, and you're playing a bubble team that the conference wants to get in so good luck on replay. We always come out smelling like a rose on replay. Always next year.

If Mike, Lamar, Bolton and Dread all return next year's team would be pretty good.

Regardless, if Pat comes back 2020 needs to be make it to the NCAA tournament or good bye. I'd go farther and say he needs to make the NCAA tournament and advance at least one round.

This is the 22nd year of this BTT. Any guesses as to how many years we went out in the first game?

I'm done harping about all of it but I just thought of this tonight, as I knew a guy who went to this tournament many times and the procedure was always look for MSU or Purdue, IU, Michigan, whoever was hot that year, and sell your tickets for the rest of the weekend and get the hell out of there. It was a pretty good scam about 64% of the time, let's put it that way.

This was probably a pretty good B10 team that deserved better but 0-for-January didn't help, and you're playing a bubble team that the conference wants to get in so good luck on replay. We always come out smelling like a rose on replay. Always next year.

No doubt about 3 terrible calls in the final 10 min of play against PSU, but looking at the bigger picture, this team had no offensive scheme this year. The players had to work way too hard to score. Every other BT team, outside of NW and RU, has a flowing offense that eventual puts its players into position for a solid shot. Lamar is a player, but it's been a long and frustrating season for him. Watkins regressed this year. He's sloppy, always in foul trouble, and simply a poor leader on the court. We still have no center. Freshmen definitely made strides. I just don't see how anything will change next year, outside of a few more wins and NIT birth.

Reactions: bison13
BTN Post Game: Sandy says Pat will be back!

well, at least she did not leave the players and recruits wondering.

if you've made up your mind it is best to get that message out quickly, I suppose.

nonetheless, I feel like the real reason he's getting retained is because his contract is only in its first year.

Coming into the tournament, Chambers had the sixth best winning percentage of the active coaches.
  1. John Beilein, MICH 18 9 .667
  2. Tom Izzo, MSU 29 16 .644
  3. Steve Pikiell, RU 3 2 .600
  4. Greg Gard, WIS 3 3 .500
  5. Matt Painter, PUR 11 12 .478
  6. Patrick Chambers, PSU 5 7 .417
  7. Richard Pitino, MINN 3 5 .375
  8. Chris Collins, NU 3 5 .375
  9. Mark Turgeon, MD 2 4 .333
  10. Tim Miles, NEB 3 7 .300
  11. Fran McCaffery, IOWA 3 8 .273
  12. Chris Holtmann, OSU 0 1 .000
  13. Archie Miller, IND 0 1 .000
  14. Brad Underwood, ILL 0 1 .000
Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers and Indiana all had virtually equal tournament winning percentages at the start of this tournament.

1. Ohio State 26 14 .650
  2. Michigan State 29 16 .644
  3. Illinois 27 19 .587
  4. Wisconsin 24 18 .571
  5. Michigan 21 17 .553
  6. Iowa 16 19 .457
  7. Rutgers 3 4 .429
  8. Minnesota 14 19 .424
  9. Purdue 14 20 .412
  10. Penn State 14 21 .400
  11. Indiana 12 21 .364
  12. Maryland 2 4 .333
  13. Nebraska 3 7 .300
  14. Northwestern 9 21 .300
Had we won tonight, we'd have passed Purdue, Minnesota, and Rutgers.

The freshmen did not contribute tonight. With under a minute when Stevens drove, not only did he get mugged, he got hooked and held on the shot. It should have been a flagrant 1, he shoots a foul and PSU ball out of bounds. Terrible

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Stevens trying to back down a defender wasn't the problem....I don't think. Pat just needs to work on how they get the freshman guards looks from three off of that. Looked like they just lacked confidence in the young guys today.

When Wheeler is on teh same side teams can double down as they know he isnt a good shooter. He either needs to get better or get a different guard over there to feed LS.

Coming into the tournament, Chambers had the sixth best winning percentage of the active coaches.

Those “statistics” are attempting to polish a turd.

Here’s an article, admittedly from last year, but to me the stats listed explain the situation a lot better. BTW, he ranks Chambers 14th in the B1G (a bit harsh but it’s difficult to disagree with him after this year).

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/01/ranking_all_14_big_ten_basketb.html

Holtmann, Miller, and Underwood are all in their 2nd year so we’re talking a small size sample to draw from, and last year was their first year with their respective teams so an opening loss in the tournament isn't something terribly unusual. If you’re going to give props, I’d give ‘em to Pikiell and Gard for sure given that between them they had only 5 seasons as of last year in their current HC jobs but both had non-losing percentages. As of last night’s debacle, Pitino has passed Chambers on that list. So has Tim Miles, for that matter. Mark Turgeon doesn’t care about this stat, MD is going to the Dance regardless. Iowa might, too. After last night, Chambers has dropped to the bottom half of that list.

Im not that upset about the calls, it wasn't as egregious as you all make it out to be.If Lamar gets called for his foul where they missed it on the big guy, he probably plays the rest of the game on D much more tentatively and thus Minny gets more easy buckets. PLenty of fouls on PSU that were let go throughout, thats why the Wheeler foul was smart at the end, they had one to give.

Chambers again blew a few opportunities to win a game!

So, what else is new! Oh, another year and a pat on the back by Sandy!

Chambers again blew a few opportunities to win a game!

So, what else is new! Oh, another year and a pat on the back by Sandy!
The only reason he’s coming back is that they don’t want to eat the contract. I wish him success next year but he hasn’t given any reason to be too optimistic

Those “statistics” are attempting to polish a turd.

Here’s an article, admittedly from last year, but to me the stats listed explain the situation a lot better. BTW, he ranks Chambers 14th in the B1G (a bit harsh but it’s difficult to disagree with him after this year).

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/01/ranking_all_14_big_ten_basketb.html

Holtmann, Miller, and Underwood are all in their 2nd year so we’re talking a small size sample to draw from, and last year was their first year with their respective teams so an opening loss in the tournament isn't something terribly unusual. If you’re going to give props, I’d give ‘em to Pikiell and Gard for sure given that between them they had only 5 seasons as of last year in their current HC jobs but both had non-losing percentages. As of last night’s debacle, Pitino has passed Chambers on that list. So has Tim Miles, for that matter. Mark Turgeon doesn’t care about this stat, MD is going to the Dance regardless. Iowa might, too. After last night, Chambers has dropped to the bottom half of that list.

No it was an attempt to put some factual context around the smartassed remark "This is the 22nd year of this BTT. Any guesses as to how many years we went out in the first game?" The program has plenty of issues, but our performance in the BTT isn't one of them.

No it was an attempt to put some factual context around the smartassed remark "This is the 22nd year of this BTT. Any guesses as to how many years we went out in the first game?" The program has plenty of issues, but our performance in the BTT isn't one of them.

The answer is 14. You went off in another direction and ignored the question. I said nothing about Chambers' winning percentage. They're not good at getting past game one.

The facts you brought to the table were enlightening and I appreciate you posting them. Along with the facts you projected what the facts would be if PSU defeated Minny. After losing to Minny those facts don't look so good, however.

Naturally! (Purdue’s Edwards with the 3 pt miss at the buzzer for the win. And, of course, he would have made that shot for the win if it had been against PSU.)

It also would have been Chambers' fault he made the shot and Chambers would get no credit for keeping the team in the game for the other 39 minutes either.

It also would have been Chambers' fault he made the shot and Chambers would get no credit for keeping the team in the game for the other 39 minutes either.
Moral victories are the key....climb with us. Hopefully next year moral victories will be used as a criteria to get into the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT