ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State versus Minnesota

Law of averages caught up to PSU wrt 3 pt shooting but that doesn't excuse Wahab's careless fouls, Ace forcing shots & passes, etc.
I'll give Ace the excuse that he's now played 433 of our last 440 minutes...he's starting to look a bit gassed to me. Thank God for this 7 day break before Maryland and the B1G Tourney.

Reactions: bdgan
I don't like the intentional foul with Minny shooting double bonus.

Kern t.o. and Ace flub just poor basketball for this level in crunch time. No excuses.

3 by Baldwin showed some sack but we have beencollapsing all half.

Hicks drives to hoop late down 5?

Mediocre and ugly game

Minny finishes with a 57-27 run. That's not easy to do.

This team is incapable of putting two good halfs together, particularly on the road. Just so bad the last 25 minutes of the game, 57-29, wow.

Terrible loss. There have been too many games this year that they could/should have won. This is one if those.
It's who we are at this point. Totally inconsistent. 41 points in 15 minutes then.... boom....29 points in 25 minutes. I think this is the basketball Gods taking this one back after the Illini miracle win.

It's who we are at this point. Totally inconsistent. 41 points in 15 minutes then.... boom....29 points in 25 minutes. I think this is the basketball Gods taking this one back after the Illini miracle win.
Pretty safe to say going into any game that if it’s on the road, we’re likely going to lose.

What's ridiculous about this game is if you have watched our road games this year you expected this. Every game with the exception of the two we won and NW we have these hideous spurts on offense and I guess defense where we are completely dominated and outscored by about 18 to 20 points in about a 15 minute span.

Reactions: dswartz
NC State "pulling a PSU" from +8 at half over the Heels to -10 w just under 10 mins left.

0-14 from field in 2nd half....f-ugly.

The road is tough but that's pathetic.

Credit to Ben Johnson for the job he's done this year. I had Minnesota around 120th in the country coming into this year, and pretty much everyone had them last in the Big 10. I'm sure that Collins and Hoiberg will get a lot of love, but he'd be my B1G Coach of the Year.

Credit to Ben Johnson for the job he's done this year. I had Minnesota around 120th in the country coming into this year, and pretty much everyone had them last in the Big 10. I'm sure that Collins and Hoiberg will get a lot of love, but he'd be my B1G Coach of the Year.
Yeah he has done well and helped by PSU doing their part to bolster his record with two collapse losses vs him.

By the way what has been their secret that no one saw coming this year?

Mostly the offensive end. Pomeroy had them projected at 121st in the country, and today they are 42nd. Their biggest strength is shooting the ball, as they're 37th in 2 point % and 45th in 3 point %, which puts them 33rd in eFG%. Their new guys this year have really exceeded expectations (Hawkins, Christie, Mitchell, Fox).

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Mostly the offensive end. Pomeroy had them projected at 121st in the country, and today they are 42nd. Their biggest strength is shooting the ball, as they're 37th in 2 point % and 45th in 3 point %, which puts them 33rd in eFG%. Their new guys this year have really exceeded expectations (Hawkins, Christie, Mitchell, Fox).
Announcers talked up Payne (21) too. Dude looks the part and played well today

SLOP<SLOP,SLOP. bad passing,ball being taking away, blocked shots. terrable D 23 point lead and we blew it. EMBARRISSING!!!!!

SLOP<SLOP,SLOP. bad passing,ball being taking away, blocked shots. terrable D 23 point lead and we blew it. EMBARRISSING!!!!!
I’m not embarrassed at all…it’s basketball and it happens. We played hard, but we’re a few players away.

I’m not embarrassed at all…it’s basketball and it happens. We played hard, but we’re a few players away.
You have to admit it is a game we should have won once up 23. In fact a 95% chance to win with 5 minutes left in the first half. To get outscored by 28 in the last 25 minutes takes some poor basketball. Yeah Minny played well to come back and deserved to win but we did our part to give it to them. We can play better than that and should have. Not saying we should have won by 20 but c'mon guys!

There is no greater sure thing winning bet in all of sports gambling than an "in-game" bet AGAINST Penn St hoops if PSU jumps out to a 12+ point 1st half lead. You can take it to the f-ing bank that they will blow the lead in the 2nd half and not Cover the spread, if not lose the game outright like they did yet again today. Stone cold lock winner.

You have to admit it is a game we should have won once up 23. In fact a 95% chance to win with 5 minutes left in the first half. To get outscored by 28 in the last 25 minutes takes some poor basketball. Yeah Minny played well to come back and deserved to win but we did our part to give it to them. We can play better than that and should have. Not saying we should have won by 20 but c'mon guys!
Tough loss. A win followed by a win vs MD would have put us in position for an NIT bid. Now the chances are pretty remote.

There is no greater sure thing winning bet in all of sports gambling than an "in-game" bet AGAINST Penn St hoops if PSU jumps out to a 12+ point 1st half lead. You can take it to the f-ing bank that they will blow the lead in the 2nd half and not Cover the spread, if not lose the game outright like they did yet again today. Stone cold lock winner.
Yeah I saw this coming a mile away. Not the loss because I thought/stupidly hoped we could hold on for dear life but I knew Minny would make a huge run on us.

Reactions: dswartz
Tough loss. A win followed by a win vs MD would have put us in position for an NIT bid. Now the chances are pretty remote.
The bizarre upside to this loss is a win would have made it tough for us to slip worse than 9th in the BTT seedings. Why is that a good thing? We now may have a good shot at the 10 seed and avoid Purdue in the BTT. Need OSU to win out and we need to beat Maryland. Of course, if we are the 10 seed and happen to beat the 7 seed we would then play Illinois who will be licking their chops for revenge on us. Still, I'll take Illinois over Purdue.

Last edited:
Sure we should have won it when we were up by 23...but we played out of our minds to get up 23. At that point in the game, Pomeroy gave us an 11.6% chance to lose. I compare that to the Illinois game, where when we got down by 7 with a minute left, and he gave us a 0.8% chance of winning. 1-1 was probably the right result over those 2, but it went the opposite way that anyone would have expected.

But regardless, if the guys are playing hard, I'm never going to be "embarrassed" by a result (and I certainly hope that they aren't either).

I believe the only other Big Ten game this season that fits this scenario was Wisconsin, and we won/covered it.

The bizarre upside to this loss is a win would have made it tough for us to slip worse than 9th in the BTT seedings. Why is that a good thing? We now may have a good shot at the 10 seed and avoid Purdue in the BTT. Need OSU to win out and we need to beat Maryland. Of course, if we are the 10 seed and happen to beat the 7 seed we would then play Illinois who will be licking their chops for revenge on us. Still, I'll take Illinois over Purdue.
There is another very reasonable scenario too where Rutgers beats Ohio St at home (they'll likely be a slight favorite), we lose to Maryland, and everything else falls right (with favorites winning all of the games that matter).

There is another very reasonable scenario too where Rutgers beats Ohio St at home (they'll likely be a slight favorite), we lose to Maryland, and everything else falls right (with favorites winning all of the games that matter).
And that gets us a 10 seed?

I wouldn’t mind us playing Minnesota again next Thursday. Today’s game kind of got away from us, but I think the week of rest is definitely going to help us big time, especially for Ace. We can beat that team on a neutral court.

I'm as disappointed as anyone else that the team couldn't play more solid and finish off today's game. But PSU was a 7.5 point underdog and did "cover the spread".

I wouldn’t mind us playing Minnesota again next Thursday. Today’s game kind of got away from us, but I think the week of rest is definitely going to help us big time, especially for Ace. We can beat that team on a neutral court.
I would like another shot at them given how our two meetings with them have played out. The reality is though that the 8 vs 9 winner gets an all expense paid trip to lose to Purdue.

Yes.

Keep the defaults, and switch Rutgers to winning against OSU.

This is a great tool, remember it from last year. So what we really don't want to have have happen is Rutgers beats OSU and we beat Maryland. But we would at least get a 3rd shot at Minny most likely then. Also don't want to slip back into the play in game with Rutgers winning out and us losing to Maryland.

A 20 point lead in the first half means very little in college basketball these days. I’ve seen really good teams blow 20 point leads. With the shot clock and the three point shot, a 20 point lead in the first half of the game means almost nothing.

A 20 point lead in the first half means very little in college basketball these days. I’ve seen really good teams blow 20 point leads. With the shot clock and the three point shot, a 20 point lead in the first half of the game means almost nothing.
That's a bit of an over statement..."means almost nothing". And it was deep into the first half, 5 minutes left. If that was the case when we had the 23 pt lead then it would have shown us with maybe a 55% chance to win (almost a toss up game). But we had a 95% chance to win. Those are what the probabilities say but I understand what you are saying based on a subjective view of the college game teams often blow big leads. My point is you would expect us to be able to ride out that big lead and at least hold on to win by a bucket or something like that. I gotta believe if that game is played 10 times we win 9 of them. Also, it is not like Minny is Purdue or some juggernaut that could just come storming back with a couple All American players taking over. Give them credit they made a great comeback and deserved to win but we also played pathetically bad the last 25 minutes to hand the game to them.

Law of averages caught up to PSU wrt 3 pt shooting but that doesn't excuse Wahab's careless fouls, Ace forcing shots & passes, etc.
Agreed. My point was the lead was due to crazy good shooting which would end.

That's a bit of an over statement..."means almost nothing". And it was deep into the first half, 5 minutes left. If that was the case when we had the 23 pt lead then it would have shown us with maybe a 55% chance to win (almost a toss up game). But we had a 95% chance to win. Those are what the probabilities say but I understand what you are saying based on a subjective view of the college game teams often blow big leads. My point is you would expect us to be able to ride out that big lead and at least hold on to win by a bucket or something like that. I gotta believe if that game is played 10 times we win 9 of them. Also, it is not like Minny is Purdue or some juggernaut that could just come storming back with a couple All American players taking over. Give them credit they made a great comeback and deserved to win but we also played pathetically bad the last 25 minutes to hand the game to them.
It depends on how you built up that lead…was it because you were dominating them with talent, beating them inside, forcing a bunch of turnovers? Things you can sustain. In this case it was because we were shooting the lights out from three, not a very sustainable reason. So we had a big lead, but we weren’t dominating them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT