ADVERTISEMENT

observations from tv watching the game

He was what... 0-8 on the long ball? Many weren't even close so the receiver could make a grab.,

I don't have the stats in front of me but how many of those long balls were thrown on first down?? Move the chains for a first down and chuck it deep. Is that the new philosophy? I'm not against taking shots downfield but the pattern is a bit predictable. If you get a first down and have a bit of momentum, there's nothing wrong with keeping a steady hand and working the defense.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Why does our secondary play so passive pre snap? I never noticed it before, but I never see any physical play at the LOS. Go watch OSUs DBs and the way they played against IU today. It's like night and day. When OSU started playing passive is when the IU qb was having his most success. See this so far this season has made me realize that the issue I think is scheme.

We have way too much talent on D to be playing the schemes the way we are. Honestly, its leaving the DL hanging out to dry because they have no chance to get to the qb because the short and mid is always open. We want to question the DL but we make it way to easy for teams to neutralize our rush. Even on those screens, if we were playing our back 7 more aggressively most of those would not break the way they do.

Also in rewatching the game: the OL was even worse than I remember seeing it in the stadium. That was a dreadful performance.
The softness in the secondary is a valid point.......it does make our DL's job more difficult, as they get close to the QB the QB throws an 8 yard pass. We are blaming the DL but it all has to work together.

On the screen passes one of the earlier posts captured it exactly right....Cam Brown has the RB on the first one and Parsons has the RB on the second one with all of the WR s going deep pushing our DB 20 yards out.....Pickett makes a 5 yard throw and then Cam Brown or Parsons is asked to tackle a 170 lb quick scat back with the entire interior of the Pitt OL getting in the LBs way.......it is a low risk play that if PSU blitzes is almost guaranteed to gain 20+ yards, unless Brown or Parsons makes a superman play and takes on 3 blockers and gets the back to the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT