ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day of Baseball!

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
and I have to find a team to root for that is favored by the MLB Gods. Is there room for one more on the Dodgers or Yankees bandwagon? Maybe the ATL Braves?

My beloved Indians Guardians play tonight at 10:15 pm and the Gods have started them out with a ten-game road trip!

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif

Reactions: Jerry
Obi - been to Municipal Stadium many times a child.

Highlights: All from the 60's.

I still have an Indians wooden bat from bat day back in the 60's.
I got to walk the warning track around the stadium when I was 8 on little League Day in my uniform.
Ate my first footlong hot dog there.
Saw Mantle play once, late in his career.
Some guy flew around the stadium in a jet pack.
Kansas City A's would change uniforms between games of a double header and their uniforms had color on them instead of the usual grey. Dad was a A's fan and we always went in August and it was usually a A's doubleheader.
Saw all of the "stars" of the 60's Indians. Vic Davillo, Leon "Daddy Wags" Wagner, Rocky Colavito, Sam McDowell to name a few.
Fireworks after Indians home runs. (We left early once and was in the parking lot when 2 maybe 3 sets of fireworks went off. Missed the home runs.

Ahh, simpler times, good memories.

Obi - been to Municipal Stadium many times a child.

Highlights: All from the 60's.

I still have an Indians wooden bat from bat day back in the 60's.
I got to walk the warning track around the stadium when I was 8 on little League Day in my uniform.
Ate my first footlong hot dog there.
Saw Mantle play once, late in his career.
Some guy flew around the stadium in a jet pack.
Kansas City A's would change uniforms between games of a double header and their uniforms had color on them instead of the usual grey. Dad was a A's fan and we always went in August and it was usually a A's doubleheader.
Saw all of the "stars" of the 60's Indians. Vic Davillo, Leon "Daddy Wags" Wagner, Rocky Colavito, Sam McDowell to name a few.
Fireworks after Indians home runs. (We left early once and was in the parking lot when 2 maybe 3 sets of fireworks went off. Missed the home runs.

Ahh, simpler times, good memories.
Good stuff. I lived, for a year, downtown and used to jog around the old stadium when it was being dismantled. I could hear the roar of the crowd when an Indian hit a home run from my apartment.

Nothing like opening, day which is an unofficial part of spring (Opening Day, Easter, Derby, the Masters, Mother's Day). I love putting the game on the radio and waxing up the sled in the summer.

Baseball is an awesome and complex game. Every game you'll see something you never saw before.

I grew up a Pirates fan and used to go down to see games in my HS and college years before moving away after getting my first job. Once, my uncle took me to a game. This guy was a highly decorated Marine who fought on Tarawa and was legendary in my community. He went to a game at Three Rivers and was in the walk-up window a few minutes before the first pitch. The guy in front of him asked if they had any press seats left and then bought two. So my uncle gets up and says "Do you have any press seats left?" "Sure". They were less than box seats but more than general admission. Once in, you got a seat in the first few rows of the outfield with a table in front of you, seats on wheels, and a gal that took food orders. Apparently, they had a lot of these seats that were full for big games and playoffs but were almost empty for regular season games. I impressed a lot of guy friends and made my girlfriends feel special with that trick.

The Guardians Progressive field is now the 10th oldest stadium and is still one of the best to take in a game (I love the Pirates park though). They did some rehab and are doing a lot more for next season. At one point in the 90's when it first opened, the stadium sold out over 500 games in a row.

Good stuff. I lived, for a year, downtown and used to jog around the old stadium when it was being dismantled. I could hear the roar of the crowd when an Indian hit a home run from my apartment.

Nothing like opening, day which is an unofficial part of spring (Opening Day, Easter, Derby, the Masters, Mother's Day). I love putting the game on the radio and waxing up the sled in the summer.

Baseball is an awesome and complex game. Every game you'll see something you never saw before.

I grew up a Pirates fan and used to go down to see games in my HS and college years before moving away after getting my first job. Once, my uncle took me to a game. This guy was a highly decorated Marine who fought on Tarawa and was legendary in my community. He went to a game at Three Rivers and was in the walk-up window a few minutes before the first pitch. The guy in front of him asked if they had any press seats left and then bought two. So my uncle gets up and says "Do you have any press seats left?" "Sure". They were less than box seats but more than general admission. Once in, you got a seat in the first few rows of the outfield with a table in front of you, seats on wheels, and a gal that took food orders. Apparently, they had a lot of these seats that were full for big games and playoffs but were almost empty for regular season games. I impressed a lot of guy friends and made my girlfriends feel special with that trick.

The Guardians Progressive field is now the 10th oldest stadium and is still one of the best to take in a game (I love the Pirates park though). They did some rehab and are doing a lot more for next season. At one point in the 90's when it first opened, the stadium sold out over 500 games in a row.
We hope to see a game in August if they are home when we visit some relatives.

Reactions: Obliviax
I've been a Yankees fan for over 50 years. They have under performed for the past decade with huge salaries wasted on players like Ellsbury and Stanton. Also it's astonishing how many players they've lost due to injury. It's amazing how they've consistently been beaten by the Ray's in spite of having a payroll 3x higher.

This year the Orioles are picked to beat the Yankees with a fraction of the payroll even though they picked up Soto.

I've been a Yankees fan for over 50 years. They have under performed for the past decade with huge salaries wasted on players like Ellsbury and Stanton. Also it's astonishing how many players they've lost due to injury. It's amazing how they've consistently been beaten by the Ray's in spite of having a payroll 3x higher.

This year the Orioles are picked to beat the Yankees with a fraction of the payroll even though they picked up Soto.
lol. You should root for a small market team. At least you have superstars to watch

Hey, I was a huge Yankee fan through the Horace Clarke, Roy White and Jake Gibbs years (to name a few).

Reactions: johnmpsu and bdroc
I am interested in Paul Skenes! Looks like he is starting out with the AAA Indianapolis INDIANS!
I attended the first game played at the Jake; Pirates vs Indians. It is a nice ballpark. We sat in centerfield and made it onto the evening Cleveland TV news. I will never forgive them for changing the team’s name. The only acceptable name for a baseball team in Cleveland other than Indians is Spiders.

Reactions: Fac

If you don't remember Ralph Kiner and Frank Thomas, you are young. Everyone cried when they traded Thomas. That trade brought Harvey Haddix, Smokey Burgess, Don Hoak, and others. That trade brought the Pirates the World Series. They had to end classes for the day after Bill Mazeroski hit the game winning HR.
Before that, kids would celebrate if the Pirates beat out the Philies for 7th place. Rosie Rosewell broadcast away games from KDKA studios, reading off a ticker tape. He used wild comments to make it interesting. "Open up the window aunt Minnie, it's coming thru" was yelled after every away HR.
Later, Bob Prince did a winter caravan, stopping at dozens of PA towns to spark Pirate interest.
I was at Roberto's last all star game in Pittsburgh. I fell away after KDKA fired Bob Prince. He worked very hard, 12 months for the team.

Reactions: Jerry
and I have to find a team to root for that is favored by the MLB Gods. Is there room for one more on the Dodgers or Yankees bandwagon? Maybe the ATL Braves?

My beloved Indians Guardians play tonight at 10:15 pm and the Gods have started them out with a ten-game road trip!

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif

Mets, win, lose or draw, I'm a Mets fan. If they aren't on, I'll watch the Phillies.

Reactions: knickslions

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif
The Guardians will have the same problem that they have had for years. Decent pitching and defense, little hitting. Many 2-1 losses.

Lifelong A’s fan that became a DBacks fan here.

I just found out today that the only way to see the DBacks now is via specific streaming providers or an annual streaming subscription of $99. 🤦‍♂️

Little by little, sports are becoming a pain in the a$$.
I think MLB, NBA and Hockey are killing themselves. The way people become fans is through exposure. That is watching the games and/or following the team in the paper. Guess what? Few read the paper anymore.

So how does one become a fan of a team that they can't watch or read about? Answer: they don't. as interest wanes and fans cycle out, they will suffer.

I just found out today that the only way to see the DBacks now is via specific streaming providers or an annual streaming subscription of $99. 🤦‍♂️

MLB Extra Innings is $149 per season, and every game is available.

I think MLB, NBA and Hockey are killing themselves. The way people become fans is through exposure. That is watching the games and/or following the team in the paper. Guess what? Few read the paper anymore.

So how does one become a fan of a team that they can't watch or read about? Answer: they don't. as interest wanes and fans cycle out, they will suffer.
I became a fan of the A’s by reading the newspaper back in the early 1970s. Hard to think reading will create new fans today. The next generation will be accustomed to “pay per view.”

I became a fan of the A’s by reading the newspaper back in the early 1970s. Hard to think reading will create new fans today. The next generation will be accustomed to “pay per view.”
...and why pay if you are not a fan? Just watch Netflix or reruns of Columbo.

Before, the paper and TV were basically free based on ad dollars. Today, that isn't enough. But they are swirling the drain. NFL doesn't do that but are now starting to do exclusive games on PPV (Prime, Apple, Max, Netflix, etc.). They just the Eagles game to streaming. The game will be played in Brazil. They also sold a playoff wild-card to Amazon Prime. So it is moving in that direction.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif

Love that above clip from a great movie:

>>People will come, Ray...they'll watch the game...the memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces...America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field...this game reminds us of what once was good...and could be again. People will come, Ray...<<

The game was indeed magical for me as a kid. I knew all the line-ups by heart. Collecting and trading baseball cards was a passion for me and my friends. We eagerly paid 5 cents for a pack, which came with a bubblegum strip, every time we went into the drugstore or corner candy store. Yankee cards were at a premium.

My team was the Giants...mostly because of Willie Mays. Every summer morning I'd get up early to beat my Dad (Red Sox fan) to the newspaper (Scranton Tribune) on our porch so I could check the scores. What sucked was that you couldn't get a Giants final if they had played at home the previous evening because the Tribune went to print before the score was available.

Somewhere a long time ago I lost that magic...but I remember it to this day. In fact, I'd probably be one of those people driving to Iowa and happily paying Ray to sit on the sidelines of his Field of Dreams to recapture the feeling...

Reactions: Fac
I’m probably one of only a few living people who saw the A’s and the Phillies when they were both in Philadelphia. My grandfather took me to see the A’s and then about ten days later to see the Phils. About a month later I asked if we’re going to watch another game, and he said “Why they’re both terrible, better we should take a trip to NY watch the Yanks”. And we did. God, I loved that man.

I watched the Yankees on Amazon Prime today because I wasn't in Texas or NY. It was for out of market viewers only.

How crazy is that? You watch your home team even if you subscribe to MLB.

giphy.gif

KD4E.gif

67uq.gif
I heard on the radio today that the highest priced opening day ticket was the Phillies/Braves @ $155 and 2nd highest was the Cincinnati Reds home opener today $142. Those are ridiculous if you are trying to take a family with children, add in parking/concessions and you can drop some serious coin. The lowest priced opening game ticket was Miami's $11.

I heard on the radio today that the highest priced opening day ticket was the Phillies/Braves @ $155 and 2nd highest was the Cincinnati Reds home opener today $142. Those are ridiculous if you are trying to take a family with children, add in parking/concessions and you can drop some serious coin. The lowest priced opening game ticket was Miami's $11.
Pirates win it in 12 innings, so that's under a $1 an inning. A bargain if you happen to be a Bucco fan.
200.gif

Last I checked StubHub the ticket prices werent that bad. I quit attending games because of beer prices and stadium taxes at the hotels. The new "man on 2nd base rule in extras" finished me off. I cant even get interested enough to watch them on TV anymore.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
Last I checked StubHub the ticket prices werent that bad. I quit attending games because of beer prices and stadium taxes at the hotels. The new "man on 2nd base rule in extras" finished me off. I cant even get interested enough to watch them on TV anymore.
I attend a minor league game once a year but haven't attended a major league game in over 10 yrs. I watch a bit during the playoffs and world series but even that doesn't hold my interest. If I lived in the South or Southeast I would definitely attend some college games.

Phillies fan here. Didn’t live close enough to Philly to attend more than one game a year. Me and my father would listen to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn on the radio most nights in the summer after my own baseball games were over. My father passed a couple of years ago. Opening Day for me is memories of my dad. The best part is it didn’t cost a dime.

They were likely talking about re-sale prices for the actual opening day games, and not gate price for the other 80 home games.

Buddy sent me a screen shot with values close to those two games listed as 2nd and 3rd, with the Rangers opener being the highest at $285 after winning their first WS.

Just pointing out attending an opener is likely going to be at an inflated price compared to other games, not intending to comment on how costly attending a game may or may not be.

They were likely talking about re-sale prices for the actual opening day games, and not gate price for the other 80 home games.

Buddy sent me a screen shot with values close to those two games listed as 2nd and 3rd, with the Rangers opener being the highest at $285 after winning their first WS.

Just pointing out attending an opener is likely going to be at an inflated price compared to other games, not intending to comment on how costly attending a game may or may not be.
Agreed. you can typically get good seats for $20/game for the Guardians, especially in April or early May. If you want to sit in the lower bowl, that is a different story. Personally, I like the first row of the upper deck.

As a kid I became addicted to following the box scores. Not easy when you are a Dodger fan living in Allentown. The amount of information in a box score is amazing. Now I participate in a fantasy baseball league that originated in this forum. THE GLOV was one of the managers.
I used to know the top 20 players by batting average, RsBI and HRs at any time during the season. The pirates away had the best hitters like Hebner, Oliver, Madlock, Robertson and sangillian.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT