ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day of Baseball!

...and why pay if you are not a fan? Just watch Netflix or reruns of Columbo.

Before, the paper and TV were basically free based on ad dollars. Today, that isn't enough. But they are swirling the drain. NFL doesn't do that but and 65% now starting to do exclusive games on PPV (Prime, Apple, Max, Netflix, etc.). They just the Eagles game to streaming. The game will be played in Brazil. They also sold a playoff wild-card to Amazon Prime. So it is moving in that direction.

The Orlando Sentinel is $4.50/day. My patient gets it. $35/wk for a steady stream of far left politics. Even the sports writers have to blend in politics to keep their job.
The irony? 50+% of their target audience can't afford them and 50+% of everyone else are people they hate.
If I walk 4 miles thru The Lakes of Mt Dora at 7:00 AM, I see just,a handful of morning papers. Even the Leesburg paper is far left and 65% of their audience are Republicans. Circling the drain swirling faster abd deeper left.

Reactions: Obliviax
I used to know the top 20 players by batting average, RsBI and HRs at any time during the season. The pirates away had the best hitters like Hebner, Oliver, Madlock, Robertson and sangillian.
On Sunday the Philadelphia Bulletin would publish the statistics for all players who had reached a minimum number of At Bats or Inniges. I would spend hours pouring through those. I can still remember many of the statistical highlights from 1961 to 1966.

As a kid I became addicted to following the box scores. Not easy when you are a Dodger fan living in Allentown. The amount of information in a box score is amazing.
That’s how I followed the A’s from Scranton. The Amazin’ A’s of the 72,73,74 seasons got me hooked. I would pour through the box scores and could almost envision the game being played out.

I dreamed about attending a game at Oakland-Alameda County Stadium.

I finally got the chance in the mid-90s. It was an interleague game against the Giants. I arrived very late after driving in from a conference in Squaw Valley. As I entered through the portal, I saw Rickie Henderson hit a HR. My fandom was complete!

Shortly after, the Diamondbacks formed and I adopted my new hometown team, but I continue to pull for the A’s.

That’s how I followed the A’s from Scranton. The Amazin’ A’s of the 72,73,74 seasons got me hooked. I would pour through the box scores and could almost envision the game being played out.

I finally got the chance in the mid-90s. It was an interleague game against the Giants. I arrived very late after driving in from a conference in Squaw Valley. As I entered through the portal, I saw Rickie Henderson hit a HR. My fandom was complete!

Shortly after, the Diamondbacks formed and I adopted my new hometown team, but I continue to pull for the A’s.
If I was a multi billionaire I would buy the A’s and move them back to Philadelphia where they belong.

On Sunday the Philadelphia Bulletin would publish the statistics for all players who had reached a minimum number of At Bats or Inniges. I would spend hours pouring through those. I can still remember many of the statistical highlights from 1961 to 1966.
That made me smile on two accounts
  • As a youngster, used to follow stats closely, and be able to name league leaders in BA, HR, RBIs, etc.
  • Had a paper route delivering the Philadelphia Bulletin in 1962-63; good overall experience

I remember seeing Charlie Finley's Oakland As play in Baltimore. They wore extremely bright colored uniforms and Finley offered Vida Blue $2,000 to legally change his name to "True".

GJ6vpkfXQAAq5Uc

How about that improved Phillies bullpen? Man, that sucked to see them ruin Wheeler's 6 shutout innings.
Other than letting Kimbrel go they did essentially nothing. For some reason this is considered one of the top staffs and bullpens. I'm waiting to see it. You can't outscore bad pitching. This club better put up 15 a game or it's going to be a long year.

• Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Too bad you don't have MLB network…
Speaking of, assuming there is a free preview happening as it’s been available since at least Thursday (when I first checked)?

Haven’t had it for a few years since Verizon switched things and made it an even higher paying level. Anyone know how long it will last (assuming through tomorrow)?

I heard on the radio today that the highest priced opening day ticket was the Phillies/Braves @ $155 and 2nd highest was the Cincinnati Reds home opener today $142. Those are ridiculous if you are trying to take a family with children, add in parking/concessions and you can drop some serious coin. The lowest priced opening game ticket was Miami's $11.
I'm sure if you are in Philly today, you can get some cheaper tickets after the Braves have been crushing the Phils.

I'm sure if you are in Philly today, you can get some cheaper tickets after the Braves have been crushing the Phils.
Harper, Marsh and Stott all given a scheduled day off of rest 3 games into the season against the team that had the best record in baseball last year and also their division rival. Phillies fans should be given a refund for today’s game.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT