ADVERTISEMENT

observations from tv watching the game

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
First-

I am not a coach
I have not looked at the tape
These are my OPINIONS, I have yet to place them on stone tablets.

Observations

1. YGM is not ok. He has not played well for two games and for the second game in a row he left the field looking gassed/hurt.

2. We started to pass the ball more to the backs, but why is Franklin saying after the game “we started to install the screen pass this week.” Huh!?!?

3. 3 sacks, but the DL gave Pickett all day to throw when they had no blitz from an lb or dB. Pickett, like the Buffalo guy, must have thrown for 70% completions without us blitzing. Div 1 qbs, even mediocre guys like Pickett, will do that when you let them stand there like statues and step into passes.

4. What’s up with us returning kick offs? We must have lost twenty yards in key situations.

5. Stout? Are you kidding me? And VA Tech had no scholarships for this guy?

6. Sean Clifford is ready for us to pit the game in his hands. We did them a favor running the ball in the 4th quarter.

7. The OL is ok, at best. We could have used Nada and Juice. Somebody, turn the burner up on Limegrover.

8. I hope Journeys knee is ok.

9. Thanks Duzz, for giving up on your Offense. What a dope.

Last edited:
First-

6. Sean Clifford is ready for us to pit the game in his hands. We did them a favor running the ball in the 4th quarter.

Maybe you were joking with this one... because Clifford pretty much almost lost this game for us.

He was what... 0-8 on the long ball? Many weren't even close so the receiver could make a grab.,

Several short passes were low in the 1st.

On a play where we needed a first he slid three yards short.

I hope he improves but right now he's a weak link.

Not weaker than our DL. When 99 was out our D was better.

But in the end the D gave up zero points in the second half. The issues were O and O playcalling.

LdN

Maybe you were joking with this one... because Clifford pretty much almost lost this game for us.

He was what... 0-8 on the long ball? Many weren't even close so the receiver could make a grab.,

Several short passes were low in the 1st.

On a play where we needed a first he slid three yards short.

I hope he improves but right now he's a weak link.

Not weaker than our DL. When 99 was out our D was better.

But in the end the D gave up zero points in the second half. The issues were O and O playcalling.

LdN
pretty sure dave meant to say Clif isn't ready

Stout is the man. Wish the Jets could sign him now

Parsons is learning to go with his physical skills. Getting special

DT grew up some today. Not great yet but improved

Our run game is a mystery
We need to ride a horse and let the back get into the game flow
The RPO isn’t a threat because no one fears our backs

Our passing game is lost. Our TE out of game in Key situations is a mystery
I feel .like we game plan a bunch of series/personnel and stick with them regards of game flow

I remember when Jay was OC and struggling an analyst commented that we had no offensive system
Just calling plays like pulling numbers out of a hat

That’s how we look now
Give Clifford some bubble screens, swing pass, slants etc to get him in a rhythm

I feel like these games are glorified practices in structure

My biggest WTF play was near the end of the game, 3rd and 4, and all we need is a 1st down to get another series and run the clock out. Clifford throws a 40 yard bomb to nobody. Horrible call, throw a high % pass or even run the ball. Who's shoulders is that decision on, Rahne or Clifford?

I think Clifford would look like a star if he was playing in any other system. Only Rahne can make this much talent look horrid. Ahhhhh he stinks just fire his ass already

My biggest WTF play was near the end of the game, 3rd and 4, and all we need is a 1st down to get another series and run the clock out. Clifford throws a 40 yard bomb to nobody. Horrible call, throw a high % pass or even run the ball. Who's shoulders is that decision on, Rahne or Clifford?

That was a perfect situation for a QB run

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I feel .like we game plan a bunch of series/personnel and stick with them regards of game flow

I remember when Jay was OC and struggling an analyst commented that we had no offensive system

That’s how we look now
Give Clifford some bubble screens, swing pass, slants etc to get him in a rhythm

You mean when Darryl Clark won two Big10 QB 1st Team and be MVP? That Jay?

First-

I am not a coach

Observations

1. YGM is not ok. He has not played well for two games and for the second game in a row he left the field looking gassed/hurt.

2. We started to pass the ball more to the backs, but why is Franklin saying after the game “we started to install the screen pass this week.” Huh!?!?

3. 3 sacks, but the DL gave Pickett all day to throw when they had no blitz from an lb or dB. Pickett, like the Buffalo guy, must have thrown for 70% completions without us blitzing. Div 1 qbs, even mediocre guys like Pickett, will do that when you let them stand there like statues and step into passes.

4. What’s up with us returning kick offs? We must have lost twenty yards in key situations.

7. The OL is ok, at best. We could have used Nada and Juice. Somebody, turn the burner up on Limegrover.

You kept going on and on about the blitzing, but you clearly missed a ton of blitzes that just didn't get there in the first half. Even on plays where blitzes occured you were talking about it...like you didn't see Cam get picked up. Micah just missed him on 2 occassions. Reid was sent. Wade was sent. Johnson picked up a sack. Just yelling blitz is a fan favorite, but the front 4 has to generate pressure on 3rd and 15 when they are dropping back too.

You kept going on and on about the blitzing, but you clearly missed a ton of blitzes that just didn't get there in the first half. Even on plays where blitzes occured you were talking about it...like you didn't see Cam get picked up. Micah just missed him on 2 occassions. Reid was sent. Wade was sent. Johnson picked up a sack. Just yelling blitz is a fan favorite, but the front 4 has to generate pressure on 3rd and 15 when they are dropping back too.
Amen to this. The blitzes failed more often than they helped. They left holes in our defense that Pitt often exploited and took many of our defenders out of plays.

Pitt scored one TD (and that due to a good 4-1 call and a bit of “falling asleep” on Taylor)

One TD over 60 minutes of play.

Whatever PSU did on D, it worked - all things considered - exceedingly well.
So, you are saying the blitzing was successful ? Because that is what we were talking about.

First-

I am not a coach

Observations

I absolutely agree with you about YGM I noticed the same thing in the first quarter of the buffalo games. something just seems off.

Agree with the rest as well.

My main gripe about Pry is hit blitz schemes stink.

That’s how we look now

The RPO isnt a threat not because of the backs, but because Clifford refuses keep it himself instead of handing it to the back. The defense can purely key on the RB because there is no threat of Clifford pulling the ball and running himself.

The OL looked better when Cain got his limited opportunities. There were some missed blitz pickups on the interior of the line, the OT’s played pretty well.

I don’t think Pry’s blitz schemes are to blame, our LB’s are failing to cover to the RB’s on screen plays (Cam on 1st big gainer, Parsons on the other) and it appeared after re-watching the game that the Dontavious Butler catch was a mixup in coverage between Keaton Ellis and Brandon Smith.

Thank you. I was screaming at the TV. It wasn't Clifford. Absolutely Rahne deserves the blame for that. That was a horrible, horrible situational call. Almost beyond belief.

This guy is getting paid 600k a year to run this offense, he does an absolutely terrible job and PSU, with an offense loaded with 4 and 5 star players, can't score against a decent but by no means great defense..

PSU's defense basically wins the game with a great goalline stand, and all Rahne needs to do at that point is convert a third and four and the game is OVER. So he calls .... a low-percentage bomb down the right sideline? Beyond belief.

From what I saw Clifford had two choices -- throw to the back who looked like he'd be tackled well before 4 yards, or chuck it 30 yards downfield and pray. Any OC who doesn't stink would have given Clifford at least 3 targets at 4-12 yards at different points on the field. Let him throw the sideline, great but not 40 yards, make it 5 yards and the game is over.

The OL looked better when Cain got his limited opportunities. There were some missed blitz pickups on the interior of the line, the OT’s played pretty well.

I don’t think Pry’s blitz schemes are to blame, our LB’s are failing to cover to the RB’s on screen plays (Cam on 1st big gainer, Parsons on the other) and it appeared after re-watching the game that the Dontavious Butler catch was a mixup in coverage between Keaton Ellis and Brandon Smith.
If you have one LB trying to stop a screen that has three OL out front blocking, then your blitz scheme most certainly is to blame unless that LB is Jack Ham. We are terrible at defending screen passes, and it is because of scheme and not individual failings by our LBs. That and we seem STUNNED when a team does a screen on third and long, despite the rampant success of that play against us the last two years.

Why does our secondary play so passive pre snap? I never noticed it before, but I never see any physical play at the LOS. Go watch OSUs DBs and the way they played against IU today. It's like night and day. When OSU started playing passive is when the IU qb was having his most success. See this so far this season has made me realize that the issue I think is scheme.

We have way too much talent on D to be playing the schemes the way we are. Honestly, its leaving the DL hanging out to dry because they have no chance to get to the qb because the short and mid is always open. We want to question the DL but we make it way to easy for teams to neutralize our rush. Even on those screens, if we were playing our back 7 more aggressively most of those would not break the way they do.

Also in rewatching the game: the OL was even worse than I remember seeing it in the stadium. That was a dreadful performance.

Last edited:
We blitz like crazy and then play bend but don’t break in the secondary. Wade and Brisker are having some issues when the CB transfers the coverage over to them.

After rewatching the game last night, I’m a little less critical of the DEs. Pickett was getting rid of the ball almost immediately because the short passing game was there. We saw the sacks and hits come later in the second half of the game because Pitt was playing from behind and had to use some longer developing routes in the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT