ADVERTISEMENT

Marquis Wilson in trouble

No, you clearly don't know cops. They have arrest quotas to meet for promotions.

But more importantly, it's about overtime. The paperwork and court appearances gets billed at overtime, and a lot of cops actually make as much in overtime as base salary. In Philly a uniformed patrol cop is making $65-$70 but with overtime it's typically $120-140. It's quite a good living. And detectives make $170-180.

I was reading about a public defender -- how she learned to spot crap cases because the arrest happened in the last hour of a cop's shift. In other words, they come up with something cheap that gets them 4 hours of OT.
Wasn't aware that was the case with University cops...

The bottom line here is we don't have all the facts. Let's see how it plays out. For now the young man is innocent until he pleads, or is proven, guilty. I can wait.

This is why there are "peaceful" demonstrations.
  • "Police Detected the Odor of MJ coming from his car"
  • "Observed red, glassy eyes and the odor of MJ on his breath"
  • found a "pink tinted plastic Pill bottle containing a trace of MJ"
There is no way to substantiate this other than the police officer's word; they simply could make it up. And, why do we want to put a substantial impediment on this kid's, or any kid's, record for something that cannot be substantiated in court and is legal in at least 11 states?

It's not legal to drive while under the influence.

I like cops, I've spent a lot of time around cops, I've been drinking buddies with cops. Knowing cops and how they work, if I'm on a jury, I wouldn't ever trust a cop's word for anything because lying is just a tool to them.

They use little lies all the time to facilitate stops and searchers. You crossed a white line, you had your high beams on etc. The "odor of marijuana" story is incredibly convenient because it justifies a search. It's so often a lie that some jurisdictions don't allow it because it is impossible to prove or disprove. And planting a little bit of pot in the car -- if you've spent any time around vice units and gang units, you know it is very, very common.

Not that Wilson is innocent but I wouldn't take a cop's word for it. Hopefully his family can afford a decent lawyer. Unless he was demonstrably driving badly, this should get thrown out.
Wow. I guess you were more drinking and less buddy.

Reactions: gogolion
I like cops, I've spent a lot of time around cops, I've been drinking buddies with cops. Knowing cops and how they work, if I'm on a jury, I wouldn't ever trust a cop's word for anything because lying is just a tool to them.

They use little lies all the time to facilitate stops and searchers. You crossed a white line, you had your high beams on etc. The "odor of marijuana" story is incredibly convenient because it justifies a search. It's so often a lie that some jurisdictions don't allow it because it is impossible to prove or disprove. And planting a little bit of pot in the car -- if you've spent any time around vice units and gang units, you know it is very, very common.

Not that Wilson is innocent but I wouldn't take a cop's word for it. Hopefully his family can afford a decent lawyer. Unless he was demonstrably driving badly, this should get thrown out.
I have been an attorney for over 45 years and my opinion of police officers is the polar opposite of yours. I will leave it at that.

I wonder how he did on the roadside sobriety test? Surely the cop did one of those to determine how dangerous he was to himself and others.

What a joke that marijuana should carry a charge that follows you forever.

Heck, the FBI recently changed their hiring rules to be no marijuana use within the past 3 years which they verify via lie detector. The FBI acknowledges that about every young person smokes pot, at least occasionally and if they didn't they wouldn't be able to hire any new recruits. They just want you to not have done it recently, because they are after all, the FBI.
You reminded me of another case: wife had a case where a one time drug user (had a record but had been clean and employed for five years) rented a car from a low end rental car place. Got pulled over on a terry stop. Cop ran the plate when his bumper was over the yellow line at a red light. Cop called in a K-9 unit when the driver was mad he got pulled over and had a record. Dog found a trace of meth embedded in the carpet in the back seat. Cops admitted to all of this but the guy was found guilty of possession and a second strike. He lost his job and his marriage, with one son, was rocky last i heard.

My wife has done court appointed legal defense for five years, she’s caught several police officers lying, one planting evidence, one falsifying records and two prosecutors withholding discoverable evidence. The union agreement allowed one to take the record of him being kicked out of sensitivity training out of his personnel filed. All were backed by the prosecutors office. In the planting evidence situation, the prosecutor told the kid if he didn’t plead guilty to a very low misdemeanor, they’d pile on charges enough that he’d not Get a job for two years while they dragged the case out. He pled and paid a$500 fine and got a year probation.

She has a case where a husband and wife called for help because they got locked out of her car. She took a half a pill to calm down and the officer asked her what that was. Turned out to be a prescription drug for her husband who recently had minor surgery. 18 months later she pleads to a misdemeanor but after both she and her husband lost their jobs. Husband paid a fine for showing her to take it.

in one case, she defended a woman who was on the trust of her sister who fought breast cancer and died after two years and the city fined her all most $500,000 ($1,000 a day after being summoned of a rental property violation) (they sent a single notification to the PO Box the week after she was diagnosed). They threatened an 86 year old woman with jail time and a $500k fine. They instructed the inspector who wrote up the violation to leave the morning the trail started so the judge would drop the case and the prosecutor wouldn’t lose.

For me, I was rear ended by a young woman and the officer convinced me to not report it telling me he’d be a witness if I needed him later. When her insurance company started giving me a hard time I called the officer and he claimed he was never at the accident. Had no idea what I was talking about Lesson learned but who thought a cop would blatantly lie?

now I believe cops are 95% good people, but certainly not all. And the union, politicians and judicial system don’t prosecute them.
As a kid, I always relaxed when I saw an officer. Today I wonder what BS they will come up with to harass people. And I am an old white guy. I can’t imagine being black with tattoos.

The guy killed in Atlanta, recently, had a great interview discussing how it is almost impossible to get’ out of the system’ once you’ve been arrested. Probation terms are almost impossible to meet and cops target you for terry stops on a weekly basis. Ever see the police cars with cameras on each fender running license plates at the local Walmart? You have a record or a tail light out, guess what? You spend the next 45 minutes answering questions.
I do not question anything you have said. Your word is good enough for me. That aside, stating the obvious, there are good and bad cops, lawyers, judges, jurors. My experiences with police officers, both in and out of the courts, contrary to yours, has been nearly 100% positive. Why the different experiences? I don't know.

I do not question anything you have said. Your word is good enough for me. That aside, stating the obvious, there are good and bad cops, lawyers, judges, jurors. My experiences with police officers, both in and out of the courts, contrary to yours, has been nearly 100% positive. Why the different experiences? I don't know.
Happy for you, no snark... and I agree most are good people. I think the government puts them in a bad position and when they do make a little screw up aren’t held accountable. This leads to a big head and a feeling of invincibility. In the end they become prosecutor and judge because ‘they know better’. Part of it is that the government doesn’t want the civil suit if charges are dropped so they back each other to the hilt.

could be worse in Cleveland too.

appreciate the civil tone and conversation

Reactions: fairgambit
Personal experience here...
I was hanging out with some friends in the park right down the road from my parents house and left after a while pickup my girlfriend. I immediately got pulled over by a cop for, as it turned out, nothing, absolutely nothing. Officer, once at my window claimed he smelled marijuana and after a thorough body and car search wrote me up for underage DRINKING! Yes, I got a ticket for underage drinking and I hadn't had a drink or had I been around any pot in well over a week.

Reactions: tboyer and Obliviax
I was hanging out with some friends in the park right down the road from my parents house and left after a while pickup my girlfriend. I immediately got pulled over by a cop for, as it turned out, nothing, absolutely nothing. Officer, once at my window claimed he smelled marijuana and after a thorough body and car search wrote me up for underage DRINKING! Yes, I got a ticket for underage drinking and I hadn't had a drink or had I been around any pot in well over a week.
I grew up with two friends who had fathers who both worked on a small town police force. One of the cops did everything by the book, good guy, never had any issues that I knew of. He ended up becoming chief.

The other kids dad though was the shadiest,dirtiest guy you could imagine. Anytime you read about something in the paper it was generally one of his arrests. there were always controversial ones and he almost bragged about the multiple times that he either was overly physical in an arrest or that he had 'got' a guy that he didn't like.
He eventually got his time-in to retire and was forced out by the chief but then became a code enforcement officer for the township. He didn't stop being an ass there as well. It was pretty well known that the people he didn't like were the ones who were always getting the violation notices no matter if they deserved it or not.

Reactions: tboyer
Fair enough. I don’t know anything about this case. But my experience with police sets off my spidy senses. Why pull him over? Why write him up for next to nothing.
It's called a quota....the department realizes these transgressions are occurring....therefore every officer must meet a minimum quota of arrests to validate they are actively patrolling. Some will argue that these quotas are a major cause of nuisance arrests and targeting.

The athletes have to avoid weed during season and official practice periods because of NCAA drug testing. The rest of the year, they're like the rest of the student population -- weed and weed edibles are everywhere -- for a lot of students they're placed alcohol as the drug of choice -- and that is almost certainly a good thing.

Alcohol is associated with violence, sexual assaults and all kinds of accidental injury and death, and emergency room visits for alcohol poisoning. Weed is about the only substance out there that doesn't send people to emergency rooms.

The % of kids smoking weed in season on every team is greater than 50%. If you’re close with a player in the last ten years, ask them.

Personal experience here... Officer, once at my window claimed he smelled marijuana

Yeah that's exactly why some jurisdictions will automatically throw out a search based on "smell of marijuana." It's too easy to make it up. Sniff dog searches are also highly questionable. Research shows sniff dogs really don't detect drugs very effectively but they do read their handler's signals very effectively.

"Smell of alcohol" is the same thing -- it's just something they can say when they want to do a DUI arrest -- impossible to disprove. I got pulled over in Bucks County about 10 years ago driving my kid home from band practice. It was two young Chalfont cops who had just been through DUI training, and they were practicing on me. They pulled me for "high beams" (which wasn't true but whatever) and told me I smelled of alcohol. Which was amusing because I hadn't had so much as a glass of wine all week. I blew a 0 and was free to go.

Last edited:
This. Which happens more than anybody would like to acknowledge. It's just rare that an officer forgets to turn off his body camera and gets caught. And this guy had been caught planting evidence before -- but was still working as a police officer thanks no doubt to the FOP.

Reactions: wilbury
The athletes have to avoid weed during season and official practice periods because of NCAA drug testing.
I'm pretty sure that drug testing is done by the schools not the NCAA. Each school can have their own testing program with their own set of rules. You will hear stories of players shopping for schools with the "best" testing program. I remember a school getting busted by the ncaa a few years ago for not following their own rules.

I got pulled over for "driving/walking while teen" a couple of times. The second time was fun as my friends and I were stopped by Philly police for a curfew violation after a chess tournament. But we were all over 21 (didn't look it, to be fair). You could tell the cops were disappointed.

Then there's the ticket I got in East Berlin for jaywalking in '78....

i've only skimmed all these posts, however all i'm seeing is talk of how some people think weed is good, some think it's bad, others are trying to figure out whether he's a bad person or whatever.... i think everyone is focusing on the wrong thing...

in the state of PA, RECREATIONAL use of weed is ILLEGAL. That's where the story ends. I don't care if you think it should be or not (for the record, I think it should be legalized EVERYWHERE because.... well, i'd LOVE to be able to smoke again and still keep my clearance). It's illegal. Now, i'll wait till the facts come out but if it sure looks like he's busted. While i'm a firm believer in life being lived in a million shades of gray, the law is one of the few things that is black and white (or 1 and 0 for those of you who just got triggered because I used the word "black" or "white"). Again, whether you believe it should or shouldn't be illegal is irrelevant. it is, thus he broke the law. THIS is what i'm concerned with. Dude, go to someone's off-campus house and smoke. Go to the middle of the woods and smoke. It's like drinking, if he was drunk and driving, we'd all be raging for him to be disciplined. While i 100000% agree being impaired by alcohol is MUCH worse than being impaired by weed, the bottom line (as it stands right now before the facts all come out) he was impaired, he was driving, he was on campus where they follow state and federal laws, and he was in possession. Again, I will caveat all of the following with: we'll see what happens when all the facts come out, however as it stands right now, he made a decision to break the law. he has to deal with those consequences. This is what concerns me is his decision making, not that he smoked weed.

Reactions: Kiber
There's a long article that came out today on Chambers and I'm not going to be the one to start the thread where all the racists here feast on it.
"Racists"?? Give it a rest, Sweetheart...it's getting old...very old

I'm pretty sure that drug testing is done by the schools not the NCAA. Each school can have their own testing program with their own set of rules. You will hear stories of players shopping for schools with the "best" testing program. I remember a school getting busted by the ncaa a few years ago for not following their own rules.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ is my understanding as well. The way I understand the rule book is that drug testing is administered by each school, and each school may have different policies. For example, school "X" may have policies where a player tests positive once and simply gets warned, tests positive twice and gets a written warning, test positive 3 times and gets suspended. School "Z", may suspend a kid after one positive test. It's the individual schools which set the policies ..... At least that's the way I understand it.

i've only skimmed all these posts, however all i'm seeing is talk of how some people think weed is good, some think it's bad, others are trying to figure out whether he's a bad person or whatever.... i think everyone is focusing on the wrong thing...

in the state of PA, RECREATIONAL use of weed is ILLEGAL. That's where the story ends. I don't care if you think it should be or not (for the record, I think it should be legalized EVERYWHERE because.... well, i'd LOVE to be able to smoke again and still keep my clearance). It's illegal. Now, i'll wait till the facts come out but if it sure looks like he's busted. While i'm a firm believer in life being lived in a million shades of gray, the law is one of the few things that is black and white (or 1 and 0 for those of you who just got triggered because I used the word "black" or "white"). Again, whether you believe it should or shouldn't be illegal is irrelevant. it is, thus he broke the law. THIS is what i'm concerned with. Dude, go to someone's off-campus house and smoke. Go to the middle of the woods and smoke. It's like drinking, if he was drunk and driving, we'd all be raging for him to be disciplined. While i 100000% agree being impaired by alcohol is MUCH worse than being impaired by weed, the bottom line (as it stands right now before the facts all come out) he was impaired, he was driving, he was on campus where they follow state and federal laws, and he was in possession. Again, I will caveat all of the following with: we'll see what happens when all the facts come out, however as it stands right now, he made a decision to break the law. he has to deal with those consequences. This is what concerns me is his decision making, not that he smoked weed.

I agree. The "should" or "should not" is irrelevant. Right now in PA it is illegal.... period. I think paying a State income tax on top of paying State sales taxes and local taxes is a crime. But just because I disagree with paying State income taxes, does not mean that if I decide to not file it's OK because I disagree. I do not file my taxes, and I go to prison.

Fair enough. I don’t know anything about this case. But my experience with police sets off my spidy senses. Why pull him over? Why write him up for next to nothing.
Bobby Engram trouble, welcome back or who was the other fellow, not welcomed back to the team? Skill counts.

Do you know what is even worse? Police dogs. Now, I move dogs. I like dogs more than people. But it is laughable that people get convicted of crimes because a DOG said they were guilty. Yes. We allow animals to tell cops whether they have probable cause to search a vehicle. It’s insane. You cannot put a dog on the stand and ask that dog questions as to how they came to their conclusion.

The fact we let dogs determine probable cause in our justice system is the single craziest thing I’ve ever seen in our justice system.

The biggest problem with what you wrote is that you actually think the law is black and white.

Actually, I take that back. You’re 100% right. The law is definitely black and white. It really depends on whether you’re black or white.

Bobby Engram trouble, welcome back or who was the other fellow, not welcomed back to the team? Skill counts.
I believe that you are talking about Ricky Sales. The situation you referenced involved a good kid who mad a bad decision (Engram) and a bad kid (Sales) who was a knucklehead. Sales eventually learned his lesson and turned his life around. If google him you will see that Sales says Joe was correct to handle them differently.

The biggest problem with what you wrote is that you actually think the law is black and white.

Actually, I take that back. You’re 100% right. The law is definitely black and white. It really depends on whether you’re black or white.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT