ADVERTISEMENT

Marquis Wilson in trouble

Ironic that if he just got a prescription for it and he would have been fine. Also, if it had been in town vs. on campus it would have been a summary offense.

Not totally true. He could be cited if the pot was in close reaching distance or if he was driving under the influence. Surprised he wasnt cited for that, although many local police departments and the State Police may let you off or give you some other type of minor citation for pot.

This is why there are "peaceful" demonstrations.
  • "Police Detected the Odor of MJ coming from his car"
  • "Observed red, glassy eyes and the odor of MJ on his breath"
  • found a "pink tinted plastic Pill bottle containing a trace of MJ"
There is no way to substantiate this other than the police officer's word; they simply could make it up. And, why do we want to put a substantial impediment on this kid's, or any kid's, record for something that cannot be substantiated in court and is legal in at least 11 states?

Not totally true. He could be cited if the pot was in close reaching distance or if he was driving under the influence. Surprised he wasnt cited for that, although many local police departments and the State Police may let you off or give you some other type of minor citation for pot.
True, but it happened on campus where possession is a misdemeanor and perhaps the police cut him a break being that DUI would have made it 2 misdemeanors.

https://news.psu.edu/story/421071/2...ing-state-college-borough-marijuana-ordinance

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article243952402.html

Looks like Covid-19 tests aren’t the only ones that should be administered. SMH.

I like cops, I've spent a lot of time around cops, I've been drinking buddies with cops. Knowing cops and how they work, if I'm on a jury, I wouldn't ever trust a cop's word for anything because lying is just a tool to them.

They use little lies all the time to facilitate stops and searchers. You crossed a white line, you had your high beams on etc. The "odor of marijuana" story is incredibly convenient because it justifies a search. It's so often a lie that some jurisdictions don't allow it because it is impossible to prove or disprove. And planting a little bit of pot in the car -- if you've spent any time around vice units and gang units, you know it is very, very common.

Not that Wilson is innocent but I wouldn't take a cop's word for it. Hopefully his family can afford a decent lawyer. Unless he was demonstrably driving badly, this should get thrown out.

There is no way to substantiate this other than the police officer's word; they simply could make it up. And, why do we want to put a substantial impediment on this kid's, or any kid's, record for something that cannot be substantiated in court and is legal in at least 11 states?

Seriously? Guy does something wrong and illegal and blame the police? One thing if he’s walking around, but he was operating a vehicle.

You should fix your quote also as the words in quotes in the article do not use “trace”. I hope that wasn’t intentional on your part.

Btw, they could substantiate it with the bottle found if they so desired.

I’m just glad it appears young Mr. Wilson was fully cooperative with the police. Adhere to the legal and potential team punishment and be done with it .

I like cops, I've spent a lot of time around cops, I've been drinking buddies with cops. Knowing cops and how they work, if I'm on a jury, I wouldn't ever trust a cop's word for anything because lying is just a tool to them.

They use little lies all the time to facilitate stops and searchers. You crossed a white line, you had your high beams on etc. The "odor of marijuana" story is incredibly convenient because it justifies a search. It's so often a lie that some jurisdictions don't allow it because it is impossible to prove or disprove. And planting a little bit of pot in the car -- if you've spent any time around vice units and gang units, you know it is very, very common.

Not that Wilson is innocent but I wouldn't take a cop's word for it. Hopefully his family can afford a decent lawyer. Unless he was demonstrably driving badly, this should get thrown out.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in CT never ever hang something from your rear view mirror. I don't care if it a rosary, obstructing your view is an easy pretext for cops to pull you over.

Absolute BS! Marijuana should be legal and distributed much like alcohol in the country. It's almost laughable.

For those about to make a "it's a gateway drug", you're correct. It's a gateway for people to meet people that sell illegal substances.

Why would they "make it up"?? Every arrest carries with it pain-in-the-arse paperwork, court appearances, etc.

Why would they "make it up"?? Every arrest carries with it pain-in-the-arse paperwork, court appearances, etc.
They do all the time. At least here in Cleveland. Many promotions are based on your bust record

They do all the time. At least here in Cleveland. Many promotions are based on your bust record

Yea but you are missing the point.
Whether or not he will get off, he wont be operating a vehicle high and potentially killing someone.

The decision matrix of the officers is pretty simple.

1. Walk away and he potentially kills himself or another.

2. Make an arrest of which the charges will likely be dropped.

They did the latter.

LdN

Seriously? Guy does something wrong and illegal and blame the police? One thing if he’s walking around, but he was operating a vehicle.

You should fix your quote also as the words in quotes in the article do not use “trace”. I hope that wasn’t intentional on your part.

Btw, they could substantiate it with the bottle found if they so desired.

I’m just glad it appears young Mr. Wilson was fully cooperative with the police. Adhere to the legal and potential team punishment and be done with it .
I am intimately familiar with dozens of cases where the police and/or prosecutors lied. They get off Scott free. They drag the case out for years so you can’t get employed and threaten more charters like obstruction, resisting or assault on an officer. And man, those body cams are finicky; go on and off all the time but always in favor of the cop.

i love 95% of cops but know they get caught up sometimes. And when they do you Are screwed.

I blame politicians more. A trace of MJ? Give me a break. Those cops are picnicking and lighting up right now, in all probability

Whether or not he will get off, he wont be operating a vehicle high and potentially killing someone.

They did the latter.

LdN
I get your point

No, you clearly don't know cops. They have arrest quotas to meet for promotions.

But more importantly, it's about overtime. The paperwork and court appearances gets billed at overtime, and a lot of cops actually make as much in overtime as base salary. In Philly a uniformed patrol cop is making $65-$70 but with overtime it's typically $120-140. It's quite a good living. And detectives make $170-180.

I was reading about a public defender -- how she learned to spot crap cases because the arrest happened in the last hour of a cop's shift. In other words, they come up with something cheap that gets them 4 hours of OT.

They did the latter.

LdN
Have to add that we are assuming they really smelled stuff and his eyes were red. They have to justify the stop; named terry stops. This is the law used to pull over black kids in white neighborhoods. If they don’t satisfy terry laws are subject to civil suits

Have to add that we are assuming they really smelled stuff and his eyes were red. They have to justify the stop; named terry stops. This is the law used to pull over black kids in white neighborhoods. If they don’t satisfy terry laws are subject to civil suits

Yes. But if you have ever walked around in a questionable area in a city you will realize Police can literally arrest people nonstop for smoking pot.

It is so blatant and in complete diaregard for those who may not want to get high walking to the grocery store.

It would surprise me if this was made up.

LdN

Even if we do make the very bold assumption that the pretense to the stop was legitimate - which is giving far more benefit of the doubt than is due or deserved - placing someone under arrest for minor possession is not appropriate. Don’t care if it’s a football player or some random sophomore business major.

They did the latter.

LdN
Exactly. Smoke at home. I don’t want innocent people including kids killed by selfish people who put their feelings ahead of the law.

three-felonies-a-day-3.jpg

I wonder how this thread would have evolved if the young man played for OSU, Michigan, or Pitt.
Oh that’s easy:
1. OSU, just another example of the thugs recruited by that win at all costs rogue program.
2. Michigan, a true “Michigan Man” it’s what they recruit, what a joke program.
3. Pitt, this is a perfect example of the character guys the Duzz recruits.
I’m not saying that I disagree with any of the above, I’m just answering your question.

I wouldn’t have responded at all I’ve seen more than my share of these kinds of arrests to understand how damaging they are for everyone
I have no doubt that is true. There are some, though, that are quick to judge kids from other programs while attempting to explain away incidents involving our own.

Reactions: Obliviax
The % of kids smoking weed in season on every team is greater than 50%. If you’re close with a player in the last ten years, ask them.

I am intimately familiar with dozens of cases where the police and/or prosecutors lied.
Are you familiar with how many times a late teen/early 20 something partook in smoking some weed?
i love 95% of cops but know they get caught up sometimes.
"I am intimately familiar with dozens of cases where the police and/or prosecutors lied."
"They get off Scott free. and threaten more charters like obstruction, resisting or assault on an officer."
"They drag the case out for years so you can’t get employed"
"Those cops are picnicking and lighting up right now, in all probability"

You sure have a unique way of showing your claimed love of 95% of cops.
A trace of MJ?
You mentioned lie in the first quote above. I already replied to you once that the article did not use the word trace in quotes as you claimed. Neither did the writer of either article linked in this thread use the word trace. Being you decided to again use the word trace, I can only deduce that you are lying on purpose to try and support your view.

Sheesh. MJ? That’s so 1990 in terms of being “a thing.” In many other states, you just go to a dispensary to buy MJ like you would a wine and spirits shop. It’s absurd that this is not nationally legal/regulated.

100%

I one time listened to a cop completely fabricate a story - while looking the magistrate right in the eyes - to make me look bad because he could tell the magistrate was starting to lean towards dropping the little charge against me.

I was even admitting that technically I was guilty of the charge, and the cop still fabricated a story against me.

Since that day, no prosecutor should want me on their jury.

I respectfully disagree. Wether or not you agree or disagree about MJ being legalized, fact is that right now it is not legal in PA. What you are implying is that the police officer making the arrest falsified information to make the arrest. I think I disagree with both of these points you have taken on this subject.

How about don't do something that is illegal. Then you really do not have anything to worry about. I highly doubt ... like 99.9999999999999999% sure, if he had absolutely zero MJ on him, this cop would have a) planted it on him, or b) falsified the arrest.

I respectfully disagree. Wether or not you agree or disagree about MJ being legalized, fact is that right now it is not legal in PA. What you are implying is that the police officer making the arrest falsified information to make the arrest. I think I disagree with both of these points you have taken on this subject.
Fair enough. I don’t know anything about this case. But my experience with police sets off my spidy senses. Why pull him over? Why write him up for next to nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT