ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Weekend Results - 11/16-18

You could put a system in place with team doctor or 3rd party physician signing off on a missed bout due to injury/illness. Although then you start having HIPPA laws coming into play. I'm not sure how to get around that.
And then you could have the local tournament doctor knowing better than the wrestler's doctor. Like what happened to Snacks at Ironman last year.

And then you could have the local tournament doctor knowing better than the wrestler's doctor. Like what happened to Snacks at Ironman last year.
True. Guess the fact is that there is no perfect system.

I do think one of the reasons this seems to come up more often is the increased exposure of each match on BTN, Flo, Track, or whatever streaming service. Previous to those services you probably didn't have a chance to watch big matchups unless you lived nearby where they were happening.

Two PSU Future Opponents :

Ohio State 22, Arizona State 17

125: Ryan Millhof (ASU) tech fall Brady Koontz (OSU),18-1

133: Luke Pletcher (OSU) maj dec. Josiah Kline (ASU), 16-6

141: Joey McKenna (OSU) maj dec. Cory Crooks (ASU),13-0

149: Micah Jordan (OSU) maj dec. Josh Maruca (ASU), 18-8

157: Ke-Shawn Hayes (OSU) dec. Christian Pagdilao (ASU), 4-3

165: Josh Shields (ASU) dec. Kaleb Romero (OSU), 5-0

174: Zahid Valencia (ASU) dec. Te’Shan Campbell (OSU), 6-1

184: Kordell Norfleet (ASU) FALL Ethan Smith (OSU), 6:15

197: Kevin Snyder (OSU) maj dec. Austyn Harris (ASU), 12-3

285: Chase Singletary (OSU) dec. Brady Daniel (ASU), 3-1

————-

Two more:

Michigan 21, Lehigh 13

133: Stevan Micic (Michigan) over Brandon Paetzell (Lehigh) (Dec 7-3)

141: Kanen Storr (Michigan) over Ryan Pomrinca (Lehigh) (Dec 3-2)

149: Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) inj def. Malik Amine (Michigan) (2:58)

157: Ben Lamantia (Michigan) over Kent Lane (Lehigh) (Dec 9-7)

165: Logan Massa (Michigan) over Cole Walter (Lehigh) (Dec 5-3)

174: Myles Amine (Michigan) over Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) (Dec 6-4)

184: Jelani Embree (Michigan) over Andrew Price (Lehigh) (Dec 8-3)

197: Jake Jakobsen (Lehigh) over Jackson Striggow (Michigan) (Dec 4-1)

285: Jordan Wood (Lehigh) over Luke Ready (Michigan) (MD 16-5)

125: Drew Mattin (Michigan) over Nick Farro (Lehigh) (Dec 3-2)

Reactions: pish69
Oklahoma State 23, Minnesota 9

125: Nicholas Piccininni (Oklahoma State) over Sean Russell (Minnesota) (Dec 3-0)

133: Daton Fix (Oklahoma State) over Ethan Lizak (Minnesota) (Dec 6-1)

141: Mitch McKee (Minnesota) over Kaid Brock (Oklahoma State) (Dec 6-3)

149: Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma State) over Thomas Thorn (Minnesota) (Dec 9-3)

157: Steve Bleise (Minnesota) over Andrew Shomers (Oklahoma State) (Dec 8-5)

165: Chandler Rogers (Oklahoma State) over Carson Brolsma (Minnesota) (MD 10-2)

174: Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State) over Devin Skatzka (Minnesota) (MD 11-2)

184: Dakota Geer (Oklahoma State) over Owen Webster (Minnesota) (MD 10-0)

197: Andrew Marsden (Oklahoma State) over Brandon Krone (Minnesota) (Dec 2-0)

285: Gable Steveson (Minnesota) over Derek White (Oklahoma State) (Dec 8-2)

Those who are so fired up about people “ducking” competition, please explain how this has cost a team the national championship or made the NCAA tournament less exciting. If your answer is about duals, you will never convince me it’s worth it. The goal for every wrestler and team should be to be prepared as possible for March and if that means missing a couple duals then so be it

Can someone explain how the sport of wrestling is being ruined by "ducking"? The number of eyeballs viewing wrestling, the number of butts in seats, the number of clicks on wrestling websites are all up for the last several years. I don't get how this equates to killing the sport.

Can someone explain how the sport of wrestling is being ruined by "ducking"? The number of eyeballs viewing wrestling, the number of butts in seats, the number of clicks on wrestling websites are all up for the last several years. I don't get how this equates to killing the sport.
The same way that "stalling" "ruins" wrestling.

When it's your dog in the fight, it's not "ducking." When your dog is in the fight, he's not stalling but "circling" and "wrestling smart."

I had no idea the debate was being framed about the ruination of wrestling? I thought it was being framed around the idea that duals becoming better to watch would improve the sport. The NCAA tournament is the greatest show on earth, but I would love to see some great matchups happening on a more frequent basis before March. Huge viewership for OSU vs SD St. was because of the match that wasn't. We would all like to see PSU wrestle Iowa every year which would make the season more enjoyable as a spectator. I can't see how that dual would help the tournament either.

Reactions: NittanyChris

So is it your opinion that the less marque matches that we can have take place the better the sport will grow? We have been growing the sport in areas, and losing ground in others. I don't see the correlation between killing the sport and dual ducking. It is hurting dual meets to an extent. If people would have known Gross was a no go the viewership would have been lucky to be 50%. Gross may be injured. I will reserve my judgement on his injury until I see if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Warner is touch and go with whatever life threatening injury he has as well, but with the quality of the Iowa City hospital I pray he can pull through.

Reactions: NittanyChris
So is it your opinion that the less marque matches that we can have take place the better the sport will grow? We have been growing the sport in areas, and losing ground in others. I don't see the correlation between killing the sport and dual ducking. It is hurting dual meets to an extent. If people would have known Gross was a no go the viewership would have been lucky to be 50%. Gross may be injured. I will reserve my judgement on his injury until I see if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Warner is touch and go with whatever life threatening injury he has as well, but with the quality of the Iowa City hospital I pray he can pull through.
The sarcasm isn't helping you make your case. Throwing shade at Gross, who it appears has never missed a dual, taking on all-comers for 3 years, even moving up a weight to take on a kid the caliber of Meridith...and you're reserving judgment on him being injured? Sorry, makes no sense. That was followed by an equally irresponsible comment about a life-threatening injury to Warner.

Guess you'll say something like "lighten up, Francis". Words have meaning, no? ...or why use them at all.

The sarcasm isn't helping you make your case. Throwing shade at Gross, who it appears has never missed a dual, taking on all-comers for 3 years, even moving up a weight to take on a kid the caliber of Meridith...and you're reserving judgment on him being injured? Sorry, makes no sense. That was followed by an equally irresponsible comment about a life-threatening injury to Warner.

Guess you'll say something like "lighten up, Francis". Words have meaning, no? ...or why use them at all.

Sorry- I forgot how sensitive you are.

I had no idea the debate was being framed about the ruination of wrestling? I thought it was being framed around the idea that duals becoming better to watch would improve the sport. The NCAA tournament is the greatest show on earth, but I would love to see some great matchups happening on a more frequent basis before March. Huge viewership for OSU vs SD St. was because of the match that wasn't. We would all like to see PSU wrestle Iowa every year which would make the season more enjoyable as a spectator. I can't see how that dual would help the tournament either.
Well, there's this...
This “ducking” is absolutely ruining the sport. Why can Penn State consistently put their full starting lineup on the mat but other teams can’t? Weren’t we praising Gross for wrestling Meredith last year? He wrestled last weekend but can’t weigh in today. I’m very close to canceling Flo and other pay services. I’m not paying to view marquee matchups that don’t pan out.
And then we have all of this other hand-wringing going on.

Sorry- I forgot how sensitive you are.
Thanks, I think. It's a serious misconception, given what I do in real life. Just guessing it would shock most.

That said, if you're trying to turn this around on me, try it on someone else. I don't believe saying a kid is in the hospital with a life-threatening injury is responsible. And that's on you.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Well, there's this...

And then we have all of this other hand-wringing going on.

I never saw that post. I'm nowhere close to thinking the sport is being ruined from ducking. I do absolutely believe something should be done to 1. encourage the best teams to dual one another. 2. encourage teams to put the best wrestlers available on the mat at these duals.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Yeah, because that's what I said. If you're going to try to put words in people's mouths, at least try to do it well.

I named three areas where we have grown the sport over the last few years, but you resort to, "Well, we must be losing ground somewhere. I can't say where, but surely. "

Mr. Whitters III : "Gross may be injured. I will reserve my judgement on his injury until I see if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Warner is touch and go with whatever life threatening injury he has as well, but with the quality of the Iowa City hospital I pray he can pull through."

Claiming your judgement is the determining factor as to whether Gross was injured or not is pretty nonsensical. Discounting Gross's history of doing the opposite of ducking is faulty analysis. The Warner comment goes beyond sarcasm and is simply mean. I think we all know what you are trying to say.....but to say your examples miss the mark is understatement.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think. It's a serious misconception, given what I do in real life. Just guessing it would shock most.

That said, if you're trying to turn this around on me, try it on someone else. I don't believe saying a kid is in the hospital with a life-threatening injury is responsible. And that's on you.

Turn what around? I never claimed to be responsible for anything to anyone. I am truly sorry if you were hurt by my sarcastic musings, but where I come from there is zero wrong with that kind of a statement. We are all from different back grounds. I spent enough time in combat that my sensitivities are probably pretty numb compared to most you run into on a daily basis. I have seen good buddies killed and personally disposed of a few less than desirables myself along the way. I respect your posts and enjoy your informative input and truly did not post anything to offend you on purpose. We may simply disagree on this issue and on what is appropriate vs inappropriate running through our minds and into the cyber world.

Fans really enjoy the "marquee" match-ups. So do the wrestlers, from my experience. They embrace the chance to wrestle the best guys, that's why they're the best themselves.

At last week's radio show, Jeff asked Cael if he thought Bo was disappointed not wrestling Conel at the Kent State dual. I'll have to paraphrase, but it wouldn't hurt for others to listen to the comments on LionVision. Cael said something like, Yes, I think so. Though he's (Bo) focused on wrestling the guy in front of him. We (Bo and the coaches?) would have liked to see Bo against one of the bigger, stronger kids in the weight class to gauge where Bo is right now. Something to that effect.

Gross may be injured. I will reserve my judgement on his injury until I see if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Warner is touch and go with whatever life threatening injury he has as well, but with the quality of the Iowa City hospital I pray he can pull through.

Gross wrestled Meredith last year. He is injured.

Are there any actual results or has this thread just been completely hijacked?

Not sure what went wrong in this thread this weekend. Hopefully next week people can post interesting results around the country and keep it to that. I understand ducking/not ducking is a heated topic..but seriously, this is crazy. I posted a video 2 pages ago with his own words saying he has a back injury and "hopes" to be back in mid December..that should have been the end of it

Reactions: PSUer1989
I'm sorry to have offended you good gents. My opinions will remain internal from this point forward. Great team-great coach-great fan base! Over and out.
Hey, don’t feel too bad for going ad hominem and straw-man in this thread to try to climb out of the meanness hole you dug. We all have bad days. I usually enjoy your posts, same as with the other Iowan before he also turned thin-skinned.

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
Didn't want to make a new thread. Watched all of Okie St. vs. Wyoming just now.

Very underwhelming performance by the Cowboys, (Turkey Hangover?) although they won handedly. Wyoming was tough on top and put up a good fight.

Jacobe Smith got a hometown call for the victory-- got ridden pretty hard and a questionable late reversal to win.

Fix didn't get a takedown vs. Bridges. Was clearly the better wrestler, but didn't do much other than push the pace and get him to the edge. Bridges got to the legs a few times but Daton is the master at scrambling back. Clearly a top 5 guy, but he didn't do much today to make the 2 hour wait to watch him worth it.

Bottom line if I somehow by some miracle get seats to watch Ohio State and Iowa and half the kids don't wrestle because they are ducking then it sucks period. I want to see the best match. If kids are hurt then fine I get that but the football team doesn't sit mcsorley so he's ready for a bowl game he plays I know it's two different sports before someone goes there but the principle is the same. I want to see the best product on the mat which is why Penn State does so we'll .Cael puts the best product on the mat u less they are hurt. Hell Nolf is pissed when he isn't wrestling on one leg.

I never saw that post. I'm nowhere close to thinking the sport is being ruined from ducking. I do absolutely believe something should be done to 1. encourage the best teams to dual one another. 2. encourage teams to put the best wrestlers available on the mat at these duals.

When you say "best wrestlers available" , what do you mean? the best kid on the team at the weight might be hurt or have the flu or granny just died . The best kid that is ready to go that night might be absolutely horrible.

Bottom line if I somehow by some miracle get seats to watch Ohio State and Iowa and half the kids don't wrestle because they are ducking then it sucks period. I want to see the best match. If kids are hurt then fine I get that but the football team doesn't sit mcsorley so he's ready for a bowl game he plays I know it's two different sports before someone goes there but the principle is the same. I want to see the best product on the mat which is why Penn State does so we'll .Cael puts the best product on the mat u less they are hurt. Hell Nolf is pissed when he isn't wrestling on one leg.

I agree therefore if the freshman #125 is the best of the room . Put him on the mat .

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT