Interesting Weekend Results - 11/16-18

#1 Lee (Iowa) over #13 Glory (Princeton) at 125

#1 Kolodzik (Princeton) over #8 Lugo (Iowa) at 149

#2 Wick (Wisc) over #11 White (Iowa) at 165

#5 Moisey (Neb) over #19 Brown (Wis) Injury Default at 125

Upsets:

#16 Flynn (Mizz) over #13 Mekhi Lewis (VA tech) at 165

#15 Christensen (Wisc) over #10 Labriola (Neb) at 174

Not an upset but Zahid Valencia beats Chip Ness at 184 (!) in a relatively close contest (at least on the scoreboard). Didn't see the match though.

#15 O'Connor beats #11 Maruca.

Arizona State vs. North Carolina (11/17/2018)

125 Ryan Millhof (Arizona State) over Joseph Heilmann (North Carolina) (Dec 3-0) 3 0

133 Josiah Kline (Arizona State) over James Szymanski (North Carolina) (Dec 5-2) 3 0

141 Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) over Cory Crooks (Arizona State) (MD 12-4) 0 4

149 Austin O`Connor (North Carolina) over Joshua Maruca (Arizona State) (Dec 3-2) 0 3

157 Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) over Christian Pagdilao (Arizona State) (Dec 11-7) 0 3

165 Joshua Shields (Arizona State) over Joshua McClure (North Carolina) (Dec 14-8) 3 0

174 Devin Kane (North Carolina) over Jacen Petersen (Arizona State) (Fall 6:32) 0 6

184 Zahid Valencia (Arizona State) over Chip Ness (North Carolina) (Dec 9-6) 3 0

197 Kordell Norfleet (Arizona State) over Chasen Blair (North Carolina) (Dec 9-4) 3 0

285 Cory Gilliland-Daniel (North Carolina) over Brady Gilliland-Daniel (Arizona State) (MD 12-3) 0 4
Team Score: 15 20

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Not an upset but Zahid Valencia beats Chip Ness in a relatively close contest (at least on the scoreboard). Didn't see the match though.

#15 O'Connor beats #11 Maruca.

Arizona State vs. North Carolina (11/17/2018)

125 Ryan Millhof (Arizona State) over Joseph Heilmann (North Carolina) (Dec 3-0) 3 0

133 Josiah Kline (Arizona State) over James Szymanski (North Carolina) (Dec 5-2) 3 0

141 Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) over Cory Crooks (Arizona State) (MD 12-4) 0 4

149 Austin O`Connor (North Carolina) over Joshua Maruca (Arizona State) (Dec 3-2) 0 3

157 Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) over Christian Pagdilao (Arizona State) (Dec 11-7) 0 3

165 Joshua Shields (Arizona State) over Joshua McClure (North Carolina) (Dec 14-8) 3 0

174 Devin Kane (North Carolina) over Jacen Petersen (Arizona State) (Fall 6:32) 0 6

184 Zahid Valencia (Arizona State) over Chip Ness (North Carolina) (Dec 9-6) 3 0

197 Kordell Norfleet (Arizona State) over Chasen Blair (North Carolina) (Dec 9-4) 3 0

285 Cory Gilliland-Daniel (North Carolina) over Brady Gilliland-Daniel (Arizona State) (MD 12-3) 0 4
Team Score: 15 20
What did Zahid actually weigh last night? Did he weigh in at 174 and then bump to 184? Don’t see many college guys bump up.

Linwood Open Results you might care about:

125 Malik Heinselman wins championship with a 11-10 win in the finals over Mackall of Iowa State

165: Nelson Brands wins the Championship and defeated #15 ranked Joey Gunther 3-1 in the Semis and Braunagel of Illinois by the same score in the finals

184: Gavin Hoffman lost in the finals to #2 ranked Emory Parker of Illinois by 5-4.

285: Anthony Cassiopi won the Championship via Maj, Fall, Fall and Fall in the finals over Gremmel of Iowa State

Linwood Open Results you might care about:

125 Malik Heinselman wins championship with a 11-10 win in the finals over Mackall of Iowa State

165: Nelson Brands wins the Championship and defeated #15 ranked Joey Gunther 3-1 in the Semis and Braunagel of Illinois by the same score in the finals

184: Gavin Hoffman lost in the finals to #2 ranked Emory Parker of Illinois by 5-4.

285: Anthony Cassiopi won the Championship via Maj, Fall, Fall and Fall in the finals over Gremmel of Iowa State

The more I watch Cassiopi the more I feel Iowa got a real good one. Kid keeps getting better.

Nice debut by Fix, and he gets to save some energy for Lizak tomorrow. Interesting that SDSU's backup (true freshman Spencer Huber) was able to ride him for a good chunk of the second. But Fix is a beast on top himself.

This “ducking” is absolutely ruining the sport. Why can Penn State consistently put their full starting lineup on the mat but other teams can’t? Weren’t we praising Gross for wrestling Meredith last year? He wrestled last weekend but can’t weigh in today. I’m very close to canceling Flo and other pay services. I’m not paying to view marquee matchups that don’t pan out.

This “ducking” is absolutely ruining the sport. Why can Penn State consistently put their full starting lineup on the mat but other teams can’t? Weren’t we praising Gross for wrestling Meredith last year? He wrestled last weekend but can’t weigh in today. I’m very close to canceling Flo and other pay services. I’m not paying to view marquee matchups that don’t pan out.
Has our starting 125 wrestled yet this year?

Reactions: The_Intimidator69
Wow. Looked like Boo Lewellan just broke his wrist. Injury default. The screams were defeaning. Hate to see that

Quite possibly yes.
With Busiello going to ASU and Teasdale's status up in the air (if that's the case), the idea of burning Teske's shirt doesn't have the same appeal, especially given how good this team otherwise is, and especially relative to the next-best programs.

With Busiello going to ASU and Teasdale's status up in the air (if that's the case), the idea of burning Teske's shirt doesn't have the same appeal, especially given how good this team otherwise is, and especially relative to the next-best programs.

Exactly! PSU already has the required 8+ scoring wrestlers to win the team title and might not have the talent log jam at the lower weights that it seemed not that long ago where you have to manage the red and gray shirts just to keep top notch guys from sitting the bench burning eligibility.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of the reason he didn't wrestle tonight, but Gross wrestled Meredith up a weight last year, I don't think he'd be the ducking type.

Huh? Burning his shirt has more appeal now. Sure we probably don't need the points (if any) at Nationals, but riding Schnupp through March makes zero sense. Why, to protect Teske's 5th year in 2023, I think we'll have another 125 by then. Teske shirting only made sense if Teasdale could go 125 this year.

Did you hear that sound? I think MyMar might have just pooped his pants, or was that Tom Ryan.

If it sticks its good for us and bad for them, we'll have to wait and see, maybe it's early and he is just struggling to make weight.

Huh? Burning his shirt has more appeal now. Sure we probably don't need the points (if any) at Nationals, but riding Schnupp through March makes zero sense. Why, to protect Teske's 5th year in 2023, I think we'll have another 125 by then. Teske shirting only made sense if Teasdale could go 125 this year.
Assuming Teske is ready for prime time, which isn't a certainty, and assuming Teske will be here five years (which might have as much to do with Teske's goals/plans as the team's), you don't know if you need him in 2023, but you know you don't need him this year. Saving his shirt gives you more options next year and the year after.

Sorry.....but I don't think FLO sends their camera crew and announcers to South Dakota if they know Gross isn't wrestling. Did you cancel FLO when someone transferred to Rutgers?

I don't believe Gross "ducked" Fix. As you noted, Gross went UP a weight to wrestle Meredith last year. I can't believe Gross intentionally didn't make weight to up against Fix. Something else must have gone on.

Reactions: NJ Lion
Assuming Teske is ready for prime time, which isn't a certainty, and assuming Teske will be here five years (which might have as much to do with Teske's goals/plans as the team's), you don't know if you need him in 2023, but you know you don't need him this year. Saving his shirt gives you more options next year and the year after.

Ok now count me in as officially confused. I think we agree now?

Your first post said burning his shirt this year doesn't have the same appeal - i.e. you want him to red shirt this year. (I dissagree with that one). Your second post says Saving his shirt gives you more options next year and the year after. (I totally agree).

'Options' implicate a choice, so I think you just agreed with me, saving his shirt makes the most sense. . If you shirt him this year you have no options next year, he must wrestle. Unless of course we land another recruit (Howard), and his shirt won't have much use then either.

I agree we likely don't need his points this year but I think his development on the matt will trump in the room only, unless he loses confidence getting beat up as a true frosh. From what I read that is not in this kid's character. If he goes this year it will give us more options the next two years as he will still have a year to burn and his development against real D1 competition steeper.

Also we don't 'know' that we don't need him this year, we 'think' we don't, but we are always just 1 injury away from a tighter race Nevills, NS, Nolf.... they happen. I like the insurance even if 1-2 points

I don't believe Gross "ducked" Fix. As you noted, Gross went UP a weight to wrestle Meredith last year. I can't believe Gross intentionally didn't make weight to up against Fix. Something else must have gone on.
Gross is fighting back injury, hoping to get back in lineup mid december.

Reactions: hlstone
I doubt Gross ducked anyone, but still a bummer.

I still believe the best answer to this issue is to give that team a loss at that weight, and have it affect seeds. It's unfortunate when an injury takes place, but that is part of sports. If your backup loses, there should be consequences.

So right now SDST is 1-1 at 133 and should ranked and seeded that way.

I doubt Gross ducked anyone, but still a bummer.

I still believe the best answer to this issue is to give that team a loss at that weight, and have it affect seeds. It's unfortunate when an injury takes place, but that is part of sports. If your backup loses, there should be consequences.

So right now SDST is 1-1 at 133 and should ranked and seeded that way.
So if Gross is out 2 months, his "losses" make him unseeded and he draws Micic in Round 1, that's good for the sport?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT