ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Weekend Results - 11/16-18

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
I really like the thread idea Pish started last week so I am copying him this week (thanks Pish!). Gives us a 1-stop shop for all things non-PSU but of general interest to our wrestling die hards.

Personally I'm looking forward to Daton Fix vs Gross on Friday and Lizak on Saturday.

Any others of interest coming up?

Last edited:
Wrestlestat has every schools' duals in one convenient page. Also every tournament on another page (though the starters don't go to every tourney).

Anyway, here are some non-PSU matches that I found interesting for one reason or another, for this week:

11/16 – Lehigh vs. Michigan
125 – Schram vs. Mattin
174 – Kutler vs. Amine

11/16 – VT vs. Missouri
165 – Lewis vs. Flynn
174 – McFadden vs. Lewis

11/16 – Princeton vs. Iowa
125 – Glory vs. Lee
149 – Kolodzik vs. Lugo
197 – Brucki vs. Warner (if Warner goes)

11/16 – Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
165 – Wick vs. White

11/16 – Arizona State vs. North Carolina
149 – Maruca vs. O’Connor

11/16 – Cornell vs. Binghamton
184 – Dean vs. DePrez

11/17 – South Dakota State vs. Oklahoma State
133 – Gross vs. Fix

11/18 – Minnesota vs. Oklahoma State
125 – Russell vs. Piccinnini
133 – Lizak vs. Fix
HWT - Steveson vs. White (if Steveson's shirt gets pulled)

11/18 – Arizona State vs. Ohio State
149 – Maruca vs. Jordan
165 – Shields vs. Romero

11/18 – Wyoming vs. Nebraska
165 – Ashworth vs. White

Wrestlestat has every schools' duals in one convenient page. Also every tournament on another page (though the starters don't go to every tourney).

Anyway, here are some non-PSU matches that I found interesting for one reason or another, for this week:

125 – Schram vs. Mattin
174 – Kutler vs. Amine

11/16 – VT vs. Missouri
165 – Lewis vs. Flynn
174 – McFadden vs. Lewis

125 – Glory vs. Lee
149 – Kolodzik vs. Lugo

165 – Wick vs. White

184 – Dean vs. DePrez

133 – Gross vs. Fix

133 – Lizak vs. Fix

149 – Maruca vs. Jordan
165 – Shields vs. Romero

165 – Ashworth vs. White
Iowa released their probable line up for Princeton. No Kemerer, Warner, or Stoll. I’m most disappointed in not seeing Warner against Brucki. Also a little worried about Kemerer, rumors that he has some kind of knee injury but not sure how severe.

Iowa released their probable line up for Princeton. No Kemerer, Warner, or Stoll. I’m most disappointed in not seeing Warner against Brucki. Also a little worried about Kemerer, rumors that he has some kind of knee injury but not sure how severe.

Nothing builds a resume like wrestling midlands, ISU and the little sisters of the poor.

#haveaplan
#saveaseed
#stillfinishdistantsecond

Nothing builds a resume like wrestling midlands, ISU and the little sisters of the poor.

#haveaplan
#saveaseed
#stillfinishdistantsecond
Obviously the schedule isn’t very good but they do have Lehigh on Dec 8 and then Okie St at the end of the year so I wouldn’t consider either of them the little sisters of the poor. I blame the Big 10 more than anyone else for not making sure Iowa and Penn St wrestle every year.

Thanks E-J. Three guys show up twice on the list, all with tough weekends;

Fix (OKST) -- vs Gross and Lizak
White (NEB) -- vs Wick and Ashworth
Maruca (AZST) - vs O'Conner and Jordan

Fix with the most challenging weekend of all. Bunch of folks picked him in LMS.

Obviously the schedule isn’t very good but they do have Lehigh on Dec 8 and then Okie St at the end of the year so I wouldn’t consider either of them the little sisters of the poor. I blame the Big 10 more than anyone else for not making sure Iowa and Penn St wrestle every year.
True but my line of thinking is more f** on an anonymous message board with a high % of mindless banter.

Hey, so they don't have PSU or tOSU. They still have a brutal gauntlet of a schedule.....I mean they have to contend with perennial Top ten Rutgers. ;)

I blame Big Ten Expansion.

Football wise, Maryland was in the ACC & Rutgers in the Patriot League were they belonged, maybe PSU & Iowa could wrestle almost every season.

EDIT - El-Jefe. Thanks a ton for the list of interesting matches. Bravo.

I blame Big Ten Expansion.

Football wise, Maryland was in the ACC & Rutgers in the Patriot League were they belonged, maybe PSU & Iowa could wrestle almost every season.

EDIT - El-Jefe. Thanks a ton for the list of interesting matches. Bravo.
It's a numbers game. And yes, expansion is part of it. Even without Rutgers and Maryland, Iowa would still roll off the schedule with the current model, just less often.

More teams in the conference (13 possible opponents), competition date limits (16), and the philosophy to fairly rotate all teams in the conference on and off other's schedules in a 9-match season has lead to what we have. I am personally OK with our "rivalry" team being tOSU, btw, as they appear to be the #1 competition in the near future.

I won't blame anyone. In a big picture sense, it's a fair scheduling model. And I say that as a fan that would love to see Iowa v PSU every year. I just don't get too lathered up about it. Just me, I guess.

There are conference efforts/plans/considerations, if I understand everything that's been said to me, to review the scheduling model. Part of that consideration is have the Iowa's and PSU's wrestle each other each year. In a vacuum, sounds great...more top teams wrestling each other means more fan interest, and surely more revenue. From a totally selfish perspective, it's awesome...right?? Long term, not sure where that leaves the bottom tier of teams in the conference.

Reactions: kirbycroft
Reactions: LemonPie

125 – Schram vs. Mattin
174 – Kutler vs. Amine

11/16 – VT vs. Missouri
165 – Lewis vs. Flynn
174 – McFadden vs. Lewis

125 – Glory vs. Lee
149 – Kolodzik vs. Lugo

165 – Wick vs. White

184 – Dean vs. DePrez

133 – Gross vs. Fix

133 – Lizak vs. Fix

149 – Maruca vs. Jordan
165 – Shields vs. Romero

165 – Ashworth vs. White

I'm going to make a change to the wrestler participants for a tournament page to determine if it's a tournament on the schools schedule (which means starters most-likely would attend), and if it's not, show the backups in the participants page instead.

So, if I had this change done prior to the season, the wrestler participants page for Penn State (at Bearcat Open) would show all of the non-starters, then for the teams that DID have it on their official schedule, it would show their starters...

Fairly easy change, just need time...

This thread title should be a dead giveaway for anyone who doesn't want to spoil the results and watch a playback (see Iowa Princeton thread).

What happened at the Wisc Nebby Dual??

Reactions: pish69
This. Actually on a h2h basis gheir schedule strength is not that different from psu. That of course says nothing about sitting out matches, whether for injury or otherwise.

That was a really exciting dual that came down to the final bout of the evening where Purinton and Martin each traded NF points in the 3rd. Awesome. You also had Christensen coming back and decking Labriola in the final: 01. As for Isaiah White, I definitely feel he can beat anybody if he manages to get his weight/conditioning in order. His tank was empty after the exciting first period and then Wick went to work on top. Great dual!

Reactions: backdrft76
That was a really exciting dual that came down to the final bout of the evening where Purinton and Martin each traded NF points in the 3rd. Awesome. You also had Christensen coming back and decking Labriola in the final: 01. As for Isaiah White, I definitely feel he can beat anybody if he manages to get his weight/conditioning in order. His tank was empty after the exciting first period and then Wick went to work on top. Great dual!
White IMO is most likely not ever going to climb to the top. Whether conditioning, weight management or that his typical offense is reliant upon his opponent literally carelessly chasing him, I do not see White as elite. Athletic enough to maybe pull an occasional upset, but not good enough to beat 3 studs in a row to a title.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Wisconsin vs. Nebraska was incredible and worth a watch, very exciting start to finish. Bono looking like the right hire.

If only Bono could control himself. The reason the match was a tie was because the knucklehead lost a team point for his matside behavior. Otherwise, the real score would have been 22-21 without a need to go to tie-breaking criteria.

If only Bono could control himself. The reason the match was a tie was because the knucklehead lost a team point for his matside behavior. Otherwise, the real score would have been 22-21 without a need to go to tie-breaking criteria.

Huge difference in Bono and Brands. Bono was merely celebrating a big pin by his wrestler and ended up on the mat. Brands was barking at and trying to influence the refs that were doing a video review.

White IMO is most likely not ever going to climb to the top. Whether conditioning, weight management or that his typical offense is reliant upon his opponent literally carelessly chasing him, I do not see White as elite. Athletic enough to maybe pull an occasional upset, but not good enough to beat 3 studs in a row to a title.

I agree, the chances of him ever climbing to the top of the weight class are slim. There are just too many really good guys. He's very capable of beating anyone though and he showed this in knocking off Ritchie Lewis and then pushing Cenzo into SV. He's close but his best win so far came against Wick last season in their dual.

I'm going only on the score, but, Wisconsin either got much better quickly, or Nebraska got a lot worse quickly.

My first wrestling meet at PSU, not long after we joined the Big Ten (I believe), was a Michigan meet that was decided because the Michigan coach rushed on the mat at one point, which cost him a team point. Because of that we won instead of it being tied and going to criteria. At least that is how my memory remembers it.

Huge difference in Bono and Brands. Bono was merely celebrating a big pin by his wrestler and ended up on the mat. Brands was barking at and trying to influence the refs that were doing a video review.

Agreed. There is a kid gloves aspect to how referees deal with the Brands.

My first wrestling meet at PSU, not long after we joined the Big Ten (I believe), was a Michigan meet that was decided because the Michigan coach rushed on the mat at one point, which cost him a team point. Because of that we won instead of it being tied and going to criteria. At least that is how my memory remembers it.

Can you imagine how badly the Michigan coaches felt and how badly Bono would have felt last night?

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Agreed. There is a kid gloves aspect to how referees deal with the Brands.
The secret to the Sqwawkers having their way is the bullying that they do with refs. The coaches begin the process, and it's then only a matter of seconds before you starting hearing thousands of parrots barking the same thing at the refs. At that point, it's just another matter of seconds before the refs get bullied into making rash calls.

It's the most predictable formula at a Sqwawker meet that you'll see.

Wisc.by 1 on criteria. Labriola was pinned in the final second of his match that he had pretty much controlled.

Wow, shades of Martinez. Labs looked great up until the point he got put on his back. Zero fight. Sharks go into a catatonic state when rolled over.

For those that watched the Wisky - Nebraska dual, was there any mention why Chad Red didn't wrestle for Nebraska?

My only goal in coaching is to have a team good enough to give up a team point every dual and still win.

Nobody loses a dual because of their coach unless it's after the HWT match. You can always score more points.

ADVERTISEMENT