ADVERTISEMENT

HWC is having a streaming event Nov 1st

yikes! Thoughts and prayers

e03b5b85225bf7405434db2097fd07d6.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I'd love to see Nolf vs Marinelli.

I think Nolf does things that would give Marinelli some serious problems.
Well you found the right place then because we are all a bunch of weirdos that like good wrestling. I would agree, there is a match up style there that would make it interesting. If Marinelli wins, it's tight, if Nolf wins I feel like he runs away with it because he was able to overcome the strength of Marinelli.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Can someone catch me up on the rules here.

There were no current Loins wrestling at our event. So far we see only roster guys wrestling for the Hawks.

I suspect this is not just coincidental.

Can someone catch me up on the rules here.

There were no current Loins wrestling at our event. So far we see only roster guys wrestling for the Hawks.

I suspect this is not just coincidental.
NCAA said no competition for eligible athletes before November 1.

Reactions: jack66
NCAA said no competition for eligible athletes before November 1.
Yes, it appears the NCAA is applying the "First Date of Competition" rule, which states that the first date of competition cannot be until November 1. What's throwing me is that this outside competition is not with college wrestlers. No time to look at the fine print right now.

I would suspect, though not sure, that the event counts as a competition date for the wrestlers too ... not that it's likely to matter this year.

Reactions: jtothemfp
But RBY wrestled in July, is there a period of time it is ok, then a dead period before Nov 1st?

Reactions: hlstone
I'd like to get the opinion of @Creek Side on this match-up.
Scramble wise absolutely. I would be super curious to see how effective Nolf's overtie snap is against Marinelli. That's a really under appreciated part of his style on his feet. I don't think I've seen someone move Marinelli a whole lot.

I think so, yes. Since the season starts in the fall, anything in-semester is applying the date rule.
Ok, that makes sense, so no compete from start of fall semester until Nov 1. So our Sept event did not allow eligible NCAA wrestlers. Thanks

I mean. I get it and it’s the smart move. But isn’t it a little silly that the Hawkeye Wrestling Club Showdown has 7 matches announced and zero members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club are involved? And assuming Spencer is wrestling you are going to have 1 Hawkeye Club member at most.

Again, it’s the right move, but could you argue with the people that say it is blurring the lines between college and rtc. And it would have to feel a little weird to the actual HWC members deep down. Maybe I’m off base but I can definitely see where some would think that they are just glorified practice partners for the college guys.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I mean. I get it and it’s the smart move. But isn’t it a little silly that the Hawkeye Wrestling Club Showdown has 7 matches announced and zero members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club are involved? And assuming Spencer is wrestling you are going to have 1 Hawkeye Club member at most.

Again, it’s the right move, but could you argue with the people that say it is blurring the lines between college and rtc. And it would have to feel a little weird to the actual HWC members deep down. Maybe I’m off base but I can definitely see where some would think that they are just glorified practice partners for the college guys.
Clark is rumored to be going to senior nationals, Brooks is wrestling in the flo bracket, Lugo is probably the next match to get announced, Sorensen is still a member, but not competing for obvious reasons, Telford and Burak haven't competed for quite some time, and Safarov is not a full time resident. If you're going to count Spencer as a HWC guy, then you also have to count guys like Kemerer, Marinelli, and Desanto who will transition to the club next year just like him.

The reality is that the HWC is pretty thin this year because they have to reserve their money to handle the 4 guys coming in next year.

Reactions: nerfstate
Clark is rumored to be going to senior nationals, Brooks is wrestling in the flo bracket, Lugo is probably the next match to get announced, Sorensen is still a member, but not competing for obvious reasons, Telford and Burak haven't competed for quite some time, and Safarov is not a full time resident. If you're going to count Spencer as a HWC guy, then you also have to count guys like Kemerer, Marinelli, and Desanto who will transition to the club next year just like him.

The reality is that the HWC is pretty thin this year because they have to reserve their money to handle the 4 guys coming in next year.

I get that. It makes sense (and I wasn’t counting Spencer as an HWC guy, just saying there is only one slot left for a HWC guy if he is in). And like I said it’s the right move to get all the young guys in. They are for sure the future of HWC.

But still, if you are going to hire guys like Moody and Glynn why not find them a match. Nevills isn’t a top contender but we were all glad to see him get a match, same with Cliff Keen wanting Malik Amine to get a match. And I’m sure Clark could do one match three weeks after Senior Nationals.

I don’t know, it’s not wrong or anything I just find it a bit strange. But like you said it’s probably as much the strange position of HWC in this transition year.

I get that. It makes sense (and I wasn’t counting Spencer as an HWC guy, just saying there is only one slot left for a HWC guy if he is in). And like I said it’s the right move to get all the young guys in. They are for sure the future of HWC.

But still, if you are going to hire guys like Moody and Glynn why not find them a match. Nevills isn’t a top contender but we were all glad to see him get a match, same with Cliff Keen wanting Malik Amine to get a match. And I’m sure Clark could do one match three weeks after Senior Nationals.

I don’t know, it’s not wrong or anything I just find it a bit strange. But like you said it’s probably as much the strange position of HWC in this transition year.
Glynn isn't actually an HWC athlete. He's an admin guy for them now. They could have added Moody, but maybe he's also just focusing on senior nationals or something. I don't disagree about Clark and him going a few weeks after. I'm just relaying things I've seen around the web.

Reactions: bigs22
I like this card so far more than the nlwc one. I understand the penn state kids couldn't compete but that's what makes this better in my mind. I like watching the college kids vs the pros per say. I'd of rather saw Brooks vs Bo than the final they had. Plus kerk vs gwiz would of been huge. That's just me tho

I like this card so far more than the nlwc one. I understand the penn state kids couldn't compete but that's what makes this better in my mind. I like watching the college kids vs the pros per say. I'd of rather saw Brooks vs Bo than the final they had. Plus kerk vs gwiz would of been huge. That's just me tho
It ends with a wet fart

Some exciting matches! The Lee matchup is less than interesting! I just don't think I can do $30 with that lame Lee match.

If they announced Spencer’s match like 2nd or 3rd the perception would be a lot better. But it’s still a solid card. I think I’m most interested in Marinelli-Green. For some reason it feels like Marinelli is 30 pounds heavier in my mind, but I’m sure they aren’t actually too far off. Interesting style clash and a good gauge of what tier Marinelli is in.

Reactions: jrod65
Scramble wise absolutely. I would be super curious to see how effective Nolf's overtie snap is against Marinelli. That's a really under appreciated part of his style on his feet. I don't think I've seen someone move Marinelli a whole lot.
Nolf would ankle pick him to death. It would be embarrassing

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Nolf would ankle pick him to death. It would be embarrassing
I think that's possible, but Marinelli is surprisingly athletic. I always thought he would have trouble with slicker wrestlers in college, but he never really has. It's the guys that can match his power that have given him the most issues. That's why I'm curious to see if Nolf's physicality carries over against someone as brutish as Marinelli.

What are youse guy's guesses as to what he means about the snub?
I originally took it to mean the NLWC match but that probably doesn't make sense if they were also planning to have their own. So I guess now I assume he meant either the duals with Nolf/Oliver or Beat the Streets with Flo.

Brands clarifies in this interview. Was referencing Sammy not getting the call to go against Taylor after Downey was removed.

Brands clarifies in this interview. Was referencing Sammy not getting the call to go against Taylor after Downey was removed.

I finally watched the interview.

When I watch Tom and/or Terry coach in Bryce or Rec, they drive me crazy as they can't sit and their damn seats and coach. They are up, moving the whole length of the mat and annoying and distracting from the action.

That said, I don't think I have seen a Tom Brands interview that I did not enjoy watching or listening. He is a straight shooter who makes sense in the presentation of his position. Good interview.

A "Streaming Event"?? Is this going to be wrestling or are they just going to have a team meeting and write their names in the snow? :)

"He's not a threat to David Taylor, in the experts eyes. In our eyes, he is."

Time to get in for your annual eye exam, Tom. Sammy Brooks got wrecked by an 18 year old, under weight Aaron Brooks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT