ADVERTISEMENT

HWC is having a streaming event Nov 1st

86PSUPaul

Aug 17, 2017
Due to paying a bet I made a donation to the HWC, and now I am on their email list. Just received this

ANNOUNCING:
HWC SHOWDOWN OPEN with Track Wrestling!

The biggest and brightest stars of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club are returning to competition in a little more than a month — and they’ll be squaring off in an event loaded with World medalists, national champions and All-Americans.

The Hawkeye Wrestling Club Showdown Open is set for Sunday, Nov. 1 at the new Xtream Arena in Coralville, Iowa. The nine-bout, pay-per-view freestyle card will be streamed live on Trackwrestling beginning at 6 p.m. CT.

“Our open format provides a great opportunity for some really high-level matches for the best guys in our program to wrestle in Coralville, Iowa,” Iowa coach Tom Brands said. “This is something we’ve been working on as a path to competition readiness. We don’t know when we’re going to compete (in the upcoming college season) and this seems like a natural for our fan base, and it seems like a natural seeing the success that the Rumble on the Rooftop had and then the other events that have followed that.”

Now it’s the Hawkeye Wrestling Club’s turn to put on an elite wrestling showcase event.

The card includes seven men’s freestyle matches and two women’s freestyle bouts. Every matchup will be released next week, beginning Monday. Stay locked in on Trackwrestling’s website and social media outlets as each bout is announced.

"We're thrilled to partner with one of the most recognizable brands in wrestling to showcase a unique, high-level event,” said Travis Shives, Vice President of Sports, SportsEngine and Trackwrestling. “The Hawkeye Wrestling Club has assembled an exceptional card filled with highly-credentialed athletes from around the country and beyond and we look forward to streaming the event to the wrestling world.

The event pay-per-view is $29.95. Funds will go to post-graduate athletes, who will earn money for participation, performance and a percentage of pay-per-view sales, as well as to support the HWC.

The event will be limited in-venue to athletes, coaches and essential workers.

"This is about the wrestling, first and foremost,” HWC president Randy Novak said. “The HWC is committed to providing opportunities for men and women to train and compete for World and Olympic championships, and that mission is represented on this card. Every corner features a contender at the NCAA, national, or international level. The men and women involved are excited about it, and wrestling fans are going to love it."

Reactions: yekrut321
I'm not tryna be mean, honest, but when they say "world medalists" do they mean the coaches? Who else at HWC has won a world medal? Serious question? Spencer has his age-level medals, I guess. Or are they referring to the competition they're bringing in?

The HWC roster listed on the website: https://www.hawkeyewrestlingclub.com/team/

Brandon Sorenson
Cory Clark
Sammy Brooks
Bobby Telford
Nathan Burak
Nodirjori Safarov
Pat Lugo
Paul Glynn
Jeremiah Moody

That is nine but obviously Sorenson is out. I thought Telford was full-time coaching. I know they have a lot on the college team right now which might give an indication to any on their team that might be pursuing Olympic redshirts if college kids are not allowed to do this event.

I’m surprised some of the guys listed on the HWC roster are still competing. I assume there will be a significant shakeup there once Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli, Eierman, etc. graduate.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I'm not tryna be mean, honest, but when they say "world medalists" do they mean the coaches? Who else at HWC has won a world medal? Serious question? Spencer has his age-level medals, I guess. Or are they referring to the competition they're bringing in?

I've decided I'm fine with such usage of World Medalists--to include age-group World Medalists (Cadet, Junior, U23).

I'm also slowly learning to use World Team Member for the wrestler who earned the 'starter role' of representing the country and National Team Member for those finished Top-x (Top-3) or whoever earned rights of first, second alternate if the World Team Member/'starter' can't compete.

And of course, "Olympian" remains similarly, but for Oly years.

Still learning....

Reactions: tewlepz
Eierman medaled at 2019 Pan Ams ... but HWC used capital "World" medalists, so that doesn't count.

Safarov's best placement at JR or SR Worlds appears to be 8th.

Clark won JR nationals, but I can't find results of him going to JR Worlds.

That’s cute. Like when my second kid imitates my oldest.

Let's not forget the Illinois RTC event against the Minnesota Storm was well before then NLWC one, in fact they've been doing it for years. Like @yekrut321 said, I'm just stoked to watch some wrestling, sign me up for all of them! So many of these events have come out since the end of the college season and they're getting wrestlers paid in a tough economic time. Win win all around...

November 1st is significant. They can have their college guys on the card and still be eligible to compete this season. They are going to need Spencer and a whole lot more if they expect to get buys at that price.
Interesting that we specifically said we were not having any PSU current team members wrestling in ours. I wonder why the difference?

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Interesting that we specifically said we were not having any PSU current team members wrestling in ours. I wonder why the difference?

PSUPaul,

Phantom covered the eligibility aspect a few posts above yours.

November 1st is significant. They can have their college guys on the card and still be eligible to compete this season.

Besides that, as a Hawkeye fan, I can say with complete honesty that the excitement lies with our current crop of college guys. Spencer, Kemerer, Marinelli, Eierman, Desanto and crew are the ones that will bring in the viewership for an event like this(especially Spencer). Hawk fans lost out on getting to see Brands and co(presumably) hoist a Natty title last year for the 1st time in a decade. Couple that with Iowa having(on paper) probably the best team in a very, very long time this year and yet we have all the unknowns of the upcoming season looming over our heads. We want, dare I say, need to see our college studs on the mats....

I Love me some Sammy and Cory. Sammy puts it on the line every match, no matter the opponent. Cory gained everyone's respect with the way he overcame his injuries and willed his way to the top of the podium his Sr year. That being said, they aren't going to be able to bring in the viewership that an event like this needs. When is the last time Burak even took the mat? Moody seems better suited for freestyle, but does anyone that are not Iowa fans even know who he is? The way I understand it is that Glynn isn't a competitor, but in some sort of admin role.

Lugo has some intrigue to him. He looked good against Pletcher. Would love to see him against another high quality opponent to gauge how his freestyle is coming along.

As a Hawkeye fan, I'm excited that the HWC is getting involved and giving us some more wrestling, and am also able to understand why non-Hawk fans would be a little more ho-hum about the event.

I do think the price is too much for a single event, especially for non-Iowa fans. I hope it is a success with no injuries, just too much $$ for me.

Reactions: Ski
I'd pay $29.95 to see:

Spencer-Gilman
Desanto - RBY
Eierman - Lee
Marinelli - Cenzo
Kemerer - AB
Cass - Kerk

giphy.gif

Share username and passwords or charge a cover for your buddy's to come and watch with you...lol

I do think the price is too much for a single event, especially for non-Iowa fans. I hope it is a success with no injuries, just too much $$ for me.

PSUPaul,

Phantom covered the eligibility aspect a few posts above yours.

Besides that, as a Hawkeye fan, I can say with complete honesty that the excitement lies with our current crop of college guys. Spencer, Kemerer, Marinelli, Eierman, Desanto and crew are the ones that will bring in the viewership for an event like this(especially Spencer). Hawk fans lost out on getting to see Brands and co(presumably) hoist a Natty title last year for the 1st time in a decade. Couple that with Iowa having(on paper) probably the best team in a very, very long time this year and yet we have all the unknowns of the upcoming season looming over our heads. We want, dare I say, need to see our college studs on the mats....

I Love me some Sammy and Cory. Sammy puts it on the line every match, no matter the opponent. Cory gained everyone's respect with the way he overcame his injuries and willed his way to the top of the podium his Sr year. That being said, they aren't going to be able to bring in the viewership that an event like this needs. When is the last time Burak even took the mat? Moody seems better suited for freestyle, but does anyone that are not Iowa fans even know who he is? The way I understand it is that Glynn isn't a competitor, but in some sort of admin role.

Lugo has some intrigue to him. He looked good against Pletcher. Would love to see him against another high quality opponent to gauge how his freestyle is coming along.

As a Hawkeye fan, I'm excited that the HWC is getting involved and giving us some more wrestling, and am also able to understand why non-Hawk fans would be a little more ho-hum about the event.

Agreed they need the current wrestlers at that price. Is Brooks in that 195# Flo event? Might be a scheduling conflict?
How will that work with the money? The release implied some portion of the $30 fee goes to the post graduate wrestlers. So, maybe the current guys are putting on a lil fund raising event for the current HWC guys? or maybe the start of a side slush fund for the future [a little something waiting for guys down road:p}.
Seriously, I just hope they find quality opps, especially someone who can give SLee a challenge.

Agreed they need the current wrestlers at that price. Is Brooks in that 195# Flo event? Might be a scheduling conflict?
How will that work with the money? The release implied some portion of the $30 fee goes to the post graduate wrestlers. So, maybe the current guys are putting on a lil fund raising event for the current HWC guys? or maybe the start of a side slush fund for the future [a little something waiting for guys down road:p}.
Seriously, I just hope they find quality opps, especially someone who can give SLee a challenge.

I was wondering about Sammy myself. Not sure we see him at the HWC event. But then again, Sammy seems like the type of guy that would have 0 issues with wrestling in consecutive events.

As far as the fundraising stuff goes 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Interview posted today from Tom Brands:

- Confirmed Nov. 1 date is for NCAA compliance-
- Says this was in works since July and wanted to do 9/11 competition.
- Worked with his direct report who is SWA and women's matches were important to make sure they had enough (I would guess from his tone that 2-3 matches will be women's). Sarah Hildebrandt's name was mentioned.
- Right around 6 min mark: "We got snubbed with an event that happened earlier this year."
- Interesting around 11 minute mark it makes it sound like HWC can fund somebody's graduate degree. Brooks was example.
- No fans even though another event will be there three weeks earlier. Don't want to be in protocol policing business.

Interview posted today from Tom Brands:

- Confirmed Nov. 1 date is for NCAA compliance-
- Says this was in works since July and wanted to do 9/11 competition.
- Worked with his direct report who is SWA and women's matches were important to make sure they had enough (I would guess from his tone that 2-3 matches will be women's). Sarah Hildebrandt's name was mentioned.
- Right around 6 min mark: "We got snubbed with an event that happened earlier this year."
- Interesting around 11 minute mark it makes it sound like HWC can fund somebody's graduate degree. Brooks was example.
- No fans even though another event will be there three weeks earlier. Don't want to be in protocol policing business.

What are youse guy's guesses as to what he means about the snub?

As self-appointed number 1 Kerkvliet mark, thoughts and prayers to the Cassioppi family.

I cannot like this post enough.

I've been going back through FloArena and YouTube trying to find any matches between these two from Junior or Cadet trials. I don't think they've ever wrestled. I look forward to seeing Cassioppi get butchered at BJC this season.

Cry me a frickin river, the guys running the ship pick fights with opposing parents and their roster is garbage. You weren't snubbed your just not good enough. Go scrimmage Purdue or something.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I was just offering an answer to jto's question.

Reactions: tewlepz
What are youse guy's guesses as to what he means about the snub?

I originally took it to mean the NLWC match but that probably doesn't make sense if they were also planning to have their own. So I guess now I assume he meant either the duals with Nolf/Oliver or Beat the Streets with Flo.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT