ADVERTISEMENT

Bets for B10s or NCAAs: Iowa wrestlers vs. PSU wrestlers or best podium finishes

Nashville_Hawkeye

Jan 1, 2016
Greetings gents,

First of all, congrats on an incredibly impressive season and best of luck at B10s and NCAAs. Also a special shout out to Starocci, hoping for a successful healing process so he's healthy for NCAAs.

And on to business...it's that time of the year again where I more often than not contribute to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. In fact I feel like family, receiving the NLWC email updates every couple of days and the "please donate" mailers every 4-5 weeks. LOL! I'm pretty much open to any realistic or even somewhat realistic bets, with proceeds going to the HWC or NLWC. Please pitch me some reasonable wagers for B10s and/or NCAAs,and lets get the party started. I'd love to at least have a few wagers so our wrestling clubs can get an extra buck or two from their devoted fan bases. I know it's a small piece but it all matters.

BTW, I'd be remiss if I didn't say how impressed I am by Mesenbrink. I had no doubt he would likely AA but the way he looks I think it's a very tight three-way battle for the gold between him, Carr and KOT. I know he's ranked below Hamiti and Ramirez but the way he buzz-sawed through Caliendo - and everyone else - pretty much tells me he will more than likely take out those two gents if/when he faces one or both in the semis or quarters at NCAAs. Davis has been pretty impressive as well, despite the slip against Caleb Smith. Barring a bad day I see him making the podium and in the process outperforming the other two standout freshmen, Stanich and Spratley. Like 65, 25 looks to be a great battle for the gold. Lastly I'm very impressed with Brooks' jump to 97 without missing a beat. He's clearly the class of the field by a mile and one of the frontrunners for the Hodge. Impressive!

Whadda ya think guys, enough of an apology?

I say we give him a pass, everyone has their bad posts.

And just so ya know Nash, I called you out for the dual but you must have been hiding under a bridge or maybe in the tunnel...?

Im in, but gonna go with PSWC, just so you get even more emails. Hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
BTW, I'd be remiss if I didn't say how impressed I am by Mesenbrink. I had no doubt he would likely AA but the way he looks I think it's a very tight three-way battle for the gold between him, Carr and KOT. I know he's ranked below Hamiti and Ramirez but the way he buzz-sawed through Caliendo - and everyone else - pretty much tells me he will more than likely take out those two gents if/when he faces one or both in the semis or quarters at NCAAs. Davis has been pretty impressive as well, despite the slip against Caleb Smith. Barring a bad day I see him making the podium and in the process outperforming the other two standout freshmen, Stanich and Spratley. Like 65, 25 looks to be a great battle for the gold. Lastly I'm very impressed with Brooks' jump to 97 without missing a beat. He's clearly the class of the field by a mile and one of the frontrunners for the Hodge. Impressive!
I'm trying to keep my expectations for Mesenbrink in check. He's passed every test so far with flying colors, but we haven't seen him in the championships yet (although he is a world gold medalist, so he has been in high pressure situations...). If he meets Hamiti in the B1Gs, that will be the next big test leading up to Carr/KOT at nationals. If he beats Hamiti, he's probably the 2 seed for NCAAs.

Davis is in the mix of 20 or whatever guys with a chance in the wild west of 125 this year, although I think there are a handful of guys (including Ayala) with a better shot at it, but we'll see. As soon as you think you have 125 figured out this year, something else really unpredictable happens. Davis has been a real revelation in a weight where we were either hoping for Howard to magically stay healthy and wrestle up to his recruiting expectations or else expecting another punt (check the "Steen is up a level" preseason posts for maximum hopium). With Lilledahl coming in next year and Desmond the next, I don't know how long his window will be for the team, but getting a high AA would make it hard to bench him next year.

Count me in. You interested in prop bets . I say Ayala averages more than 10 drops to the knee per match .

I’ll take a small wager that says 0 is the number of iowa wrestlers that beat Penn state wrestlers head to head at big 10’s . Forfeits of any kind do not count .

I’ll take that same bet at nationals . 0 iowa wrestlers will beat Penn state wrestlers at nationals.

As we get closer to nationals I too will take any reasonable bet. I rarely bet on anything until the last minute.

Nashville, I’ll put up $20 that Mitchell places higher than both Caliendo and Hamiti at Bigs. Loser donates to HWC or PSWC.

Edit, BTW, I still get the HWC emails from a bet a few years ago

Count me in. You interested in prop bets . I say Ayala averages more than 10 drops to the knee per match .

I’ll take a small wager that says 0 is the number of iowa wrestlers that beat Penn state wrestlers head to head at big 10’s . Forfeits of any kind do not count .

I’ll take that same bet at nationals . 0 iowa wrestlers will beat Penn state wrestlers at nationals.

As we get closer to nationals I too will take any reasonable bet. I rarely bet on anything until the last minute.
I'm liking that HTH action

Whadda ya think guys, enough of an apology?

I say we give him a pass, everyone has their bad posts.

And just so ya know Nash, I called you out for the dual but you must have been hiding under a bridge or maybe in the tunnel...?

Im in, but gonna go with PSWC, just so you get even more emails. Hahaha
Long time my friend! Sadly I had tickets to the PSU dual but National Cheer Competition at Disneyworld ended up happening the same weekend (actually spent 6 LONG days down there). Glad I didn't wager...I would have gone broke with that one dual. LOL! :)

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Nashville, I’ll put up $20 that Mitchell places higher than both Caliendo and Hamiti at Bigs. Loser donates to HWC or PSWC.

I'm in on that action. I don't think either of them can touch him but I'm still in. :)

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

I'll take that action. Let me know what you want to wager. :)

Reactions: Bosox2004

BTW, I hate when he drops to his knee...means he's planning on doing nothing. That kid has good offensive skills and he needs to be using them in the first and second periods. I'm thinking his NCAAs will go just like Marinelli's did back in the day if he doesn't get on his offense in the first 2 periods. Alex was a great wrestler who seemed to forget his offense when he hit the mat against quality opponents at NCAAs each year.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
BTW, I hate when he drops to his knee...means he's planning on doing nothing. That kid has good offensive skills and he needs to be using them in the first and second periods. I'm thinking his NCAAs will go just like Marinelli's did back in the day if he doesn't get on his offense in the first 2 periods. Alex was a great wrestler who seemed to forget his offense when he hit the mat against quality opponents at NCAAs each year.
I think dropping to a knee in neutral when not tied up should be called stalling. Bouzakis screwed himself this year. On a Friday, he wrestled 7 full minutes of high energy controlled aggression against Nagao and whipped him. It was the best I've seen a 133 wrestle all year (although I admittedly haven't watched the Crookham-Vito match...). Two days later, he spent half the match on a knee against Shawver instead of being aggressive for the whole match and left it too close at the end against an inferior opponent and lost. I really hate that (seeing guys on a knee, not that Bouzakis lost because of it, LOL).

I'll take that action. Let me know what you want to wager. :)
I’ll go 25 on each of the three bets.

I too don’t like it when he drops to his knees but ya know what, it’s working for him . And I disagree it means he’s going to do nothing , almost positive I’ve seen him score off of it. Only match I remember where it might have hurt him was the Oregon state match and even that “I don’t think” was a direct result of getting up from the position. Keep in mind though I know very little about wrestling , learning as I go …

With all these press conferences I’m surprised brands hasn’t been asked about it or maybe I just missed it.

I think dropping to a knee in neutral when not tied up should be called stalling. Bouzakis screwed himself this year. On a Friday, he wrestled 7 full minutes of high energy controlled aggression against Nagao and whipped him. It was the best I've seen a 133 wrestle all year (although I admittedly haven't watched the Crookham-Vito match...). Two days later, he spent half the match on a knee against Shawver instead of being aggressive for the whole match and left it too close at the end against an inferior opponent and lost. I really hate that (seeing guys on a knee, not that Bouzakis lost because of it, LOL).
I agree WRT the stalling aspect of dropping to a knee. Love Ayala but despise that action. And yes, that Bouzakis loss is a great example of where some of the Iowa guys find themselves more times than not...doing nothing for two-and-a-half periods and then hoping it all goes well in the 3rd or in OT when they clearly have/had the ability to score points along the way so as to avoid waiting till the end of the match to screw around and lose.

I’ll go 25 on each of the three bets.

I too don’t like it when he drops to his knees but ya know what, it’s working for him . And I disagree it means he’s going to do nothing , almost positive I’ve seen him score off of it. Only match I remember where it might have hurt him was the Oregon state match and even that “I don’t think” was a direct result of getting up from the position. Keep in mind though I know very little about wrestling , learning as I go …

With all these press conferences I’m surprised brands hasn’t been asked about it or maybe I just missed it.
I too am surprised Tom hasn't been asked about it although some of our more knowledeable guys on the Hawks forum have indicated that our media folks at times fail to ask the relevant questions. Like you I'm learning as I go. Wrestled one year in HS and absolutely sucked but I love the sport. :)

I too am surprised Tom hasn't been asked about it although some of our more knowledeable guys on the Hawks forum have indicated that our media folks at times fail to ask the relevant questions. Like you I'm learning as I go. Wrestled one year in HS and absolutely sucked but I love the sport. :)
I’ve read and heard people are afraid to ask. Seems like a harmless question to me.

Hoping the guys from Albert Lea and Kasson both AA. Would have made that bet as well but no clue why you would take it lol

• Haha
Greetings gents,

First of all, congrats on an incredibly impressive season and best of luck at B10s and NCAAs. Also a special shout out to Starocci, hoping for a successful healing process so he's healthy for NCAAs.

And on to business...it's that time of the year again where I more often than not contribute to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. In fact I feel like family, receiving the NLWC email updates every couple of days and the "please donate" mailers every 4-5 weeks. LOL! I'm pretty much open to any realistic or even somewhat realistic bets, with proceeds going to the HWC or NLWC. Please pitch me some reasonable wagers for B10s and/or NCAAs,and lets get the party started. I'd love to at least have a few wagers so our wrestling clubs can get an extra buck or two from their devoted fan bases. I know it's a small piece but it all matters.

5 dollars per match in the event that they meet at Big tens
125 PSU +2 over Iowa
133 PSU - 2 Over Iowa
141 PSU - 1 over Iowa
149 Toss up
157 PSU - 3 over Iowa
165 PSU -2 over Iowa
174 no contest
184 Toss up
197 PSU -2 over Iowa
Hwt PSU -3 over Iowa
You can counter if you like or take the bet money goes to NLWC

Reactions: hlstone
@Nashville_Hawkeye are you going to Big Tens? Ironically I will be in Nashville next week, leading into them.
I am not going to Big Tens but am heading to Kansas City for NCAAs. Booked my room about 6 months ago but still don't have a ticket. Am watching the ticket discussions to monitor available seating and to get expertise from the guys who attend regularly.

125 PSU +2 over Iowa
133 PSU - 2 Over Iowa
141 PSU - 1 over Iowa
149 Toss up
157 PSU - 3 over Iowa
165 PSU -2 over Iowa
174 no contest
184 Toss up
197 PSU -2 over Iowa
Hwt PSU -3 over Iowa
If Arnold and BK both attend I will take all bets, knowing of course that 97 and 65 probably won't be that close. If neither attend let's call 84, 74 and HWT no contest and I'll take the rest of the action. Good on your end?

Guys: Great tournament, especially for Davis...wins it all and likely gets the #1 seed for Kansas City. Mesenbrink beat Caliendo a bit worse than I was expecting and let Hamiti get a head start before coming back on him. Curious to see how Davis, Mes, and Bartlett will do at NCAAs; those will be some good battles! Please let me know what I owe to each wrestling club. Like the Lannisters from Game of Thrones, I always pay my debts. :)

Here ya go, and I appreciate your response last night.

I will admit to being nervous before the bout started and worse half way through.

www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

I assume you can send a donation without actually joining

Send your check payment to: Penn State Wrestling Club PO Box 1103, State College, PA 16804.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Here ya go, and I appreciate your response last night.

I will admit to being nervous before the bout started and worse half way through.

www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

I assume you can send a donation without actually joining

Send your check payment to: Penn State Wrestling Club PO Box 1103, State College, PA 16804.
BTW, they did let me send money without joining, but they still have my email address so I'm sure more PSU stuff coming my way. However, unlike many, I'm not a hater and actually appreciate the updates on PSU wrestling.

125 PSU +2 over Iowa
133 PSU - 2 Over Iowa
141 PSU - 1 over Iowa
149 Toss up
157 PSU - 3 over Iowa
165 PSU -2 over Iowa
174 no contest
184 Toss up
197 PSU -2 over Iowa
Hwt PSU -3 over Iowa
Check my math. I think you won 5-0. Where do you want me to send the donation? :)

I didn't count Ayala's drops to tne knees counts yet, and you're clearly in the driver's seat since Iowa wrestlers didn't touch their PSU opponents at B10s. We'll see what happens at NCAAs. :)

Are you taking wagers on Iowa having a champ?
I think we both have an equal chance of having champs at 25 and 41. What's the bet? I won't bet for or against Iowa having a champ but might bet highest podium finish at these two weights once I see the brackets. If the NCAA puts Bartlett and Woods at 2&3 then I'm good regardless of where they place the 25 pounders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT