ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Plus Streaming

mhlarch

Nov 20, 2019
I have a Big10 Plus Penn State subscription. My older Samsung SmartTV doesn't have the Big10 Plus app loaded on it so I can't stream events. I can stream on my laptop but want to watch on the large screen TV. I had a technician visit and he couldn't load the app. He showed me how to connect my laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable which will work but I like having my laptop handy for Trackwrestling for mat assignments, following posts on this forum, etc. He recommended a Roku box because he thought there was a good chance it would have more apps loaded, possibly Big10 Plus.

Before I buy the Roku box I wanted to confirm it does have the app. I visited the Roku website and it appears to have the Big10 Plus app, but I also saw search results with people having trouble streaming Big10 Plus events. Some indicated Big10 Plus has been removed, with a very complicated way to add it.

Anyone use the Roku box to stream Penn State wrestling on B10 Plus? Any tech advice for a less than tech savvy Penn State wrestling fan would be appreciated - thanks!

PS: Looking at the schedule, it appears that I only need B10 Plus for the Edinboro match and the B10 tourney, but want the multi mat options on the larger TV screen, so seems worth it to find a solution.

Last edited:
I have a Big10 Plus Penn State subscription. My older Samsung SmartTV doesn't have the Big10 Plus app loaded on it so I can't stream events. I can stream on my laptop but want to watch on the large screen TV. I had a technician visit and he couldn't load the app. He showed me how to connect my laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable which will work but I like having my laptop handy for Trackwrestling for mat assignments, following posts on this forum, etc. He recommended a Roku box because he thought there was a good chance it would have more apps loaded, possibly Big10 Plus.

Before I buy the Roku box I wanted to confirm it does have the app. I visited the Roku website and it appears to have the Big10 Plus app, but I also saw search results with people having trouble streaming Big10 Plus events. Some indicated Big10 Plus has been removed, with a very complicated way to add it.

Anyone use the Roku box to stream Penn State wrestling on B10 Plus? Any tech advice for a less than tech savvy Penn State wrestling fan would be appreciated - thanks!
I stream B1G+ on Roku on several TVs. You’ll go to its app search and download it.

But can you mirror your phone to your smart TV? Try that before spending the $30+ on a Roku. Mirror the phone, stream from it.

Reactions: mhlarch
Looks like you added to the post. I’ve never had a problem streaming B1G+ on Roku. But if you do, I can also mirror my iPhone to Roku and the TV will play whatever I have on my phone. I also do this often. Especially on vacation. I take my Roku, mirror my phone and play my Xfinity app. Convenient when you vacation places where cable or satellite aren’t a given.

Thanks mcpat.....curious how you mirror a phone to stream on TV. I don't have an iPhone and the technician mentioned that since I don't have an iPhone that removed a few options he had in mind.

Thanks mcpat.....curious how you mirror a phone to stream on TV.
I don’t have a smart TV, but there is an option on Roku to do it. I have an iPhone. It’s been a few years since I set it up but I don’t recall it being difficult. Set it up once and do it a lot since.

I believe there are apps that allow you to do it. We’ll need more tech savvy people than I on this one. Or some googling.

You have a couple of choices for a one time investment if $30, more if you want 4K or a voice remote.

1). Get a Roku and download the B1G+ app sign in and you are there

2). You can download the B1G+ app on your phone, buy a chrome cast and cast the match from your phone to your TV. Later you can cast anything you want to your TV, pictures, videos, games,....

3). Wait for the replay on BTN

Given the benefits of Roku providing ready access to additional streaming providers, a decent remote and interface, I would go that route. I have both.
You will appreciate adding ESPN+ to see some extra sessions at nationals.

Of course a HDMI cable from your PC to your TV is free.

Thanks mcpat.....curious how you mirror a phone to stream on TV. I don't have an iPhone and the technician mentioned that since I don't have an iPhone that removed a few options he had in mind.
I kept my older Samsung phone because it screen mirrored great to my Samsung TV for BTN +. My new Samsung phone not so good. There are YouTube tutorials on screen mirroring with your phone.

I have the Roku 4k. I have the app loaded, but is a bit clumsy for me to use. I use it exclusively on our 65 inch TV and my wife has gotten comfortable with the controls. I prefer to connect my laptop via HDMI for our 85 inch TV. I use a second laptop to track what I want to follow. If you choose to use Roku, take some time to practice using it. There are several instructional videos and you need to get used to how the buttons function. They were not intuitive for me, but I grew up bogeying on the bare metal. At CalTech we used punch cards to load programs on a 7094 that acted as a batch processor for the new IBM 360/70. Windows still feels awkward to me. Good luck.

I have the Roku 4k. I have the app loaded, but is a bit clumsy for me to use. I use it exclusively on our 65 inch TV and my wife has gotten comfortable with the controls. I prefer to connect my laptop via HDMI for our 85 inch TV. I use a second laptop to track what I want to follow. If you choose to use Roku, take some time to practice using it. There are several instructional videos and you need to get used to how the buttons function. They were not intuitive for me, but I grew up bogeying on the bare metal. At CalTech we used punch cards to load programs on a 7094 that acted as a batch processor for the new IBM 360/70. Windows still feels awkward to me. Good luck.
Thanks!

PS: Looking at the schedule, it appears that I only need B10 Plus for the Edinboro match and the B10 tourney, but want the multi mat options on the larger TV screen, so seems worth it to find a solution.

Just to throw another option out there, I often use a Fire stick for the B1G+ app on the TV to keep laptop clear and it generally works well.

65” TV , 85” TV, you are like the uncle Carmine of smart TVs.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski
If you have an android phone, a Roku should also support "Chromecast" which is Google's version of mirroring.

Samsung TV with its own apps but never even tried to see if I could get BTN installed.

I was so happy with the Roku upstairs that we just got another one for the rag-doll room.

Three or four clicks and we're in business, whether it be BTN or BTN+

You wont regret the 30-40$

Samsung TV with its own apps but never even tried to see if I could get BTN installed.

I was so happy with the Roku upstairs that we just got another one for the rag-doll room.

Three or four clicks and we're in business, whether it be BTN or BTN+

You wont regret the 30-40$
Nice!!! Great to hear - thanks!

Sorry to bring this up again after all the great advice I received earlier in this thread on using Roku to stream B10+, but with the B10 championships approaching I'm finally actually buying something and discovered a number of different options. I'll probably only use this for watching B10 wrestling so I don't want to spend anymore than I have to, but also don't want to skimp and have mediocre service.

Options include:
Roku Express $30
Roku Express 4K $40
Roku Streaming Stick 4K $50
Roku Ultra $80 - $100
Not interested in the more expensive models above Ultra

I'm leaning towards the Roku Ultra to play it safe and it looks like an easy connection since I have an easily accessible USB cable. With the TV mounted on the wall....not sure I can even access the port I need to insert the stick.

Roku Ultra a good investment at $80? Was hoping for something more in the $30-$40 range if that'll work.

Last edited:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but you can use your laptop to do both. Instead of mirroring your laptop, you extend the screen. The laptop would display Trackwrestling and the TV Big10+. Save you from having to purchase any additional equipment. After plugging your HDMI into your TV and getting computer to show. Just search display settings to make the change.

Sorry to bring this up again after all the great advice I received earlier in this thread on using Roku to stream B10+, but with the B10 championships approaching I'm finally actually buying something and discovered a number of different options. I'll probably only use this for watching B10 wrestling so I don't want to spend anymore than I have to, but also don't want to skimp and have mediocre service.

Options include:
Roku Express $30
Roku Express 4K $40
Roku Ultra $80 - $100

I'm leaning towards the Roku Ultra to play it safe and it looks like an easy connection since I have an easily accessible USB cable. With the TV mounted on the wall....not sure I can even access the port I need to insert the stick.

Roku Ultra a good investment at $80? Was hoping for something more in the $30-$40 range if that'll work.
I’ve had no issues and have no complaints about the $30 Roku Express. I have five of them.

Last edited:

Options include:
Roku Express $30
Roku Express 4K $40
Roku Ultra $80 - $100

I have 2 of the 4K. My wife hates new gear but has adjusted to them well. I think the 4k gives a better picture if you have a 4k TV. Big bonus, my wife bought into wrestling after watching a match with noodle arms. Her latest favorites are Carter, Aaron and baby face. Now she gladly joins me to watch PSU and bakes treats and brings beverages, including brandy Alexanders. Enjoy!

Options include:
Roku Express $30
Roku Express 4K $40
Roku Ultra $80 - $100

I’ve had no issues and have no complaints about the $30 Roku Express. I have five of them.
I have most of these versions of Roku scattered through the house. Since the Ultras have dedicated ethernet ports, and I have wired internet access easily available in some rooms, that's where I use the Ultras. The wireless capacity and performance is the same on all of the models. So if you don't have wired internet access available where you plan to use it, and you don't need the fancier remote that comes with the Ultra, there is little value in paying the extra money for the Ultra.

Last edited:
Got me beat, I ONLY have 4. Bathroom TV still needs one. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Garage (doubles as game room) and RV are the 4th and 5th. Plus I use them to stream Xfinity app in LR and BR so that I don’t need to rent more than one cable box.

Reactions: Creek Side
Thanks for all your responses.......really appreciate the great advice! I'll let you know how it works out.

Reactions: mcpat
I got Big Ten+ a couple of months ago. I use a Roku to stream on my main TV. Works good.
I believe I researched how many devices are allowed and I think 3 different IP are allowed in 24 hour window.

I got Big Ten+ a couple of months ago. I use a Roku to stream on my main TV. Works good.
I believe I researched how many devices are allowed and I think 3 different IP are allowed in 24 hour window.
Call.......what Roku device do you use to stream to your main TV? Roku Express, Roku Express 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K, or the Roku Ultra?

I use an Ultra on my main TV, but only because of the ethernet port. Eliminating wireless from the equation makes for a much more reliable device, if that option is doable for you. Otherwise, it doesn’t really matter. Some of the units have a headphone port in the remote which is awesome for bedrooms, IMO.

Call.......what Roku device do you use to stream to your main TV? Roku Express, Roku Express 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K, or the Roku Ultra?
I have 1 GB wifi. Two teenagers in the house always streaming or gaming on wifi (Xbox in garage / game room). Roku streams xfinity in LR all evening while wife (school teacher) works also on wifi. Me on this site or working also on wifi. Never an issue.

I have 1080p and the express equals its HD. Granted, you might want to step up if you have a 4k TV.

I just don’t want to see you waste any $$$.

I have 1 GB wifi. Two teenagers in the house always streaming or gaming on wifi (Xbox in garage / game room). Roku streams xfinity in LR all evening while wife (school teacher) works also on wifi. Me on this site or working also on wifi. Never an issue.

I have 1080p and the express equals its HD. Granted, you might want to step up if you have a 4k TV.

I just don’t want to see you waste any $$$.
You're right--WiFi tech has improved a lot. My perceived "problems" probably come from exeriences with the numerous commercial network environments I manage, I suppose. There is more failure on WiFi--but only really noticeable at scale. The Ultra suits my 4k TV well though.

You're right--WiFi tech has improved a lot. My perceived "problems" probably come from exeriences with the numerous commercial network environments I manage, I suppose. There is more failure on WiFi--but only really noticeable at scale. The Ultra suits my 4k TV well though.
Come to think of it, I was having issues with the Pan Am qualifier mat B over the weekend. But something had to be up with the broadcast bc mat A was fine. But it was only in Roku; it was fine on my phone.

Sorry, I just got home to check.I was at hospital My daughter had a baby girl today . My first grandchild.
I have a Roku Express 4K. I bought it with the thought it would be good to have the 4k in the future. It's currently wired to about 10 year old 55" non smart TV. I think my stream speed is now around 150 Mbp. It worked last year when my speed was 50 MBP.
Hope that helps

Sorry, I just got home to check.I was at hospital My daughter had a baby girl today . My first grandchild.
I have a Roku Express 4K. I bought it with the thought it would be good to have the 4k in the future. It's currently wired to about 10 year old 55" non smart TV. I think my stream speed is now around 150 Mbp. It worked last year when my speed was 50 MBP.
Hope that helps
Congratulations! One of the best days,... older man:)

Hope that helps
Congratulations! Thanks for your time....enjoy this time and your baby granddaughter!

Reactions: Callthestall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT