ADVERTISEMENT

How will Penn St fare vs Michigan & Ohio St this year?

In 2022, we played the weakest schedule we have played since the 80s. Despite that, we were uncompetitive against Michigan and followed the same script against Ohio State (outwardly competitive for three quarters but not in the fourth) to be interpreted as not actually being competitive. The goal posts have changed. Franklin is playing against a different standard. We only starting playing 12 regular season games during the mid-00s. That is huge. With the playoffs, more top tier teams are getting moved away from the formerly top tier bowl games. The Rose bowl has turned into the Citrus bowl circa 04. A ten wins season is equal to an eight or nine win season in 2006.
We went 9-4 in 2006. Same amount of games we play now. But, you think 11 wins now is the same as 8 wins in 2006?

Reactions: bison13
So I take it you're a PSU fan? By your example, Nebraska was the true NC in 1994 - as voted on in the Polls - even though Penn State also went undefeated and finished an arbitrary #2 in the Poll voting? I expect an answer. In today's system, they would have squared off in the Playoffs. Please respond
Wallace Breen ---- where are you ?

Not so sure as I've seen a few WAY TOO EARLY projections and haven't seen MSU mentioned in any of them. Here's a couple but as mentioned - EARLY. Most have OSU, UM and PSU in the top 5 to 7 but no MSU. I have seen Iowa and Wisky and even Nebraska on one or two

Here's a couple

But Wally is "in the know."

We went 9-4 in 2006. Same amount of games we play now. But, you think 11 wins now is the same as 8 wins in 2006?
It's about the "metrics."
Oh Good God. How was it more determined "on the field" than it is right now when the 4 top teams (soon to be 12) have to play each other? I actually think you "have tongue-in-cheek" writing some of this.
What cheek?

agreed, but, it still takes 10 and 11 win seasons to get there. people act like Paterno was doing this on a regular basis and it isn't true. he was cranking out 8-9 win regular seasons and collecting a paycheck. this is most of the final 15 years under joe
Had eleven wins in ‘05, ‘08 and ‘09. Won the B2G once. In ‘05 we were ‘heal toed’ out of being in national title game.

And was 8-1 when the scandal hit.

And that paycheck was pretty small by comparison to others of that time.

Last edited:
Go look at the strength of schedule in 2006 compared the murderers row of mediocre opponents we have played as of late. 06 was the hardest schedule we have played since 94 when we played the hardest schedule any undefeated team has ever played.

Had eleven wins in ‘05, ‘08 and ‘09. Won the B2G once. In ‘05 we were ‘heal toed’ out of being in national title game.

And was 8-1 when the scandal hit.

And that paycheck was pretty small by comparison to others of that time.
We weren’t getting in the national title game in ‘05 regardless of the call. We weren’t beating out either Texas or USC.

Well, if you read the posts from the resident keyboard gasbag, the coach is a bag of $hit, the o-line is a bag of $hit, and schedule is too formidable so I guess it's losses to UM and OSU plus three others. The keyboard gasbag has spoken
Don’t worry, if we go 10-2 or 11-1 he will come back and say our schedule was really easy and his 7-5 prediction was accurate if the teams we played were as good as they were supposed to be. He is probably the world’s worst gambler.

Last edited:
Same stacked team Michigan dominated last year.
The only "stacked" team in the B1G - according to roster rankings - is OSU but their dumbass defensive coaches can't figure things out. Saying their defense has been pathetic over the last 3 to 4 years is giving them a compliment.

Here are the 2022 - 247 Composite roster rankings:

The only "stacked" team in the B1G - according to recruiting rankings - is OSU but their dumbass defensive coaches can't figure things out. Saying their defense has been pathetic over the last 3 to 4 years is giving them a compliment.
Michigan might have the most talented team they’ve had in 20 years coming back

They're behind OSU in talent - obviously - but probably have a better coaching staff than OSU. UM just seems to develop players better and that's a tip of the cap to their coaches - especially on defense

They're behind OSU in talent - obviously - but probably have a better coaching staff than OSU. UM just seems to develop players better and that's a tip of the cap to their coaches - especially on defense
Nope

Only area Ohio has the edge over Michigan is WR.

Think the OSU defense will be much improved, but Larry Johnson's line needs to improve to help out the corners.

Think the OSU defense will be much improved, but Larry Johnson's line needs to improve to help out the corners.
If that's the case, OSU will probably smoke my ND and run away with the B1G but I have to see it first. To say their defense has under-performed over the last few years is a HUGE understatement and that's on the dipshits they call a defensive coaching staff

If that's the case, OSU will probably smoke my ND and run away with the B1G but I have to see it first. To say their defense has under-performed over the last few years is a HUGE understatement and that's on the dipshits they call a defensive coaching staff
Likewise - I want to see it first. That school has just wasted a ton of talent on the defensive side.

Keep telling yourself that. And by the way, even if this would be true, which it probably isn’t, why do you have to come onto this board and post this shit; are you that insecure? Your boys have had two chances in the last two seasons and have failed miserably. The percentage of doing it three years in a row probably isn’t good, especially when they have to play at PSU next season.

Keep telling yourself that. And by the way, even if this would be true, which it probably isn’t, why do you have to come onto this board and post this shit; are you that insecure? Your boys have had two chances in the last two seasons and have failed miserably. The percentage of doing it three years in a row probably isn’t good, especially when they have to play at PSU next season.
Real talk. I couldn’t care less about a loss to TCU.

Dominating Ohio St & Penn St for 2 years while taking down the Big Ten title is what I’m proud of.

Make no mistake. The road in the Big Ten goes through Ann Arbor.

Real talk. I couldn’t care less about a loss to TCU.

Dominating Ohio St & Penn St for 2 years while taking down the Big Ten title is what I’m proud of.

Make no mistake. The road in the Big Ten goes through Ann Arbor.
Are you that bored? You should be watching the Michigan-Minnesota hockey game instead of posting on a Penn State message board. You must be very lonely.

By the way, I’d be very surprised if the 2023 edition of Michigan football will be better than the 2006 edition.

Are you that bored? You should be watching the Michigan-Minnesota hockey game instead of posting on a Penn State message board. You must be very lonely.

By the way, I’d be very surprised if the 2023 edition of Michigan football will be better than the 2006 edition.
Definitely watching Michigan hockey skate circles around the Gophers right now.

2023 has a pro prospect at every position on offense. Best RB duo college football has seen in years.

O line will win the Moorhead Trophy again.

2023 has a pro prospect at every position on offense. Best RB duo college football has seen in years.

Why would we possibly give a sh!t? This is a Penn State board…go rub one off on a Michigan board.

I’m sure Georgia and TCU will be impressed if Michigan wins the Moorhead Trophy again. I guess that when you get embarrassed in playoff games, you always can say that you won the Moorhead Trophy to make you feel better.

I’m sure Georgia and TCU will be impressed if Michigan wins the Moorhead Trophy again. I guess that when you get embarrassed in playoff games, you always can say that you won the Moorhead Trophy to make you feel better.
Nope.

Beating Penn & Ohio on a regular basis makes me feel better

Nope.

Beating Penn & Ohio on a regular basis makes me feel better
I’m going to play your boring game. Next season, Drew Allar not only will win the O’Brien Award, but also his first of four Heisman Trophies. Nick Singleton not only will run for 2000 yards, but he’ll run for 3000 yards and win the Doak Walker Award. James Franklin will win the Bryant Award, and be so in demand that he’ll simultaneously coach PSU and an unnamed NFL team in 2024. Manny Diaz will win the Assistant Coach of the Year Award, whatever that is named. Oh, last but not least, the 2023 PSU team will be better than the 1982, 1986 and 1994 teams combined.

With all of that sure to happen, I don’t even know why the season should be played; the National Championship just should be awarded to PSU right now.

I’m going to play your boring game. Next season, Drew Allar not only will win the O’Brien Award, but also his first of four Heisman Trophies. Nick Singleton not only will run for 2000 yards, but he’ll run for 3000 yards and win the Doak Walker Award. James Franklin will win the Bryant Award, and be so in demand that he’ll simultaneously coach PSU and an unnamed NFL team in 2024. Manny Diaz will win the Assistant Coach of the Year Award, whatever that is named. Oh, last but not least, the 2023 PSU team will be better than the 1982, 1986 and 1994 teams combined.

With all of that sure to happen, I don’t even know why the season should be played; the National Championship just should be awarded to PSU right now.
Allar looked really stiff and scared in mop up duty when Michigan blew out Penn last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT