ADVERTISEMENT

How will Penn St fare vs Michigan & Ohio St this year?

Ole Ted

Sep 17, 2020
Thinking Bucks will be down a little. Michigan is the favorite to 3 peat for the Big Ten Championship

Franklin can’t go 0-2 vs The Big 2 of the conference. His seat will get hot

Thinking Bucks will be down a little. Michigan is the favorite to 3 peat for the Big Ten Championship

He'll probably go 0-2 but the Buckeyes won't we down. They have the best receiver in the country and reload just like other elite programs do. Penn State will have a sophomore QB with limited experience. It's 2024 that Franklin needs to beat at least one of them. And though I wish it would if he goes 10-2 next year with losses to both his seat is cold not hot.

He'll probably go 0-2 but the Buckeyes won't we down. They have the best receiver in the country and reload just like other elite programs do. Penn State will have a sophomore QB with limited experience. It's 2024 that Franklin needs to beat at least one of them. And though I wish it would if he goes 10-2 next year with losses to both his seat is cold not hot.
We are probably going to lose to both plus one or two other teams. The offense is in a transition year. We lost the two best offensive players in Clifford and Strange, our top two receivers and the line looks to be only incrementally better and it didn't look average last year until the switch to 12 personnel. With a rookie QB, no deep threat, an average offensive line, and a schedule with more than two quality defenses, it is hard to see the offense improving year over year until late in the season if at all. Never mind the defense which is built to play with a lead, not from behind and that tends to happen with rookie quarterbacks.

We are likely to play three top five teams this year in Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa and potential top 15 teams in Michigan State (look for a major rebound) and Illinois. The rest of the schedule is hot garbage but we play five teams capable of beating us home or away. Regardless, Franklin will not find himself on the hot seat until at least 2027 due to the shear insanity of his contract.

We are probably going to lose to both plus one or two other teams. The offense is in a transition year. We lost the two best offensive players in Clifford and Strange, our top two receivers and the line looks to be only incrementally better and it didn't look average last year until the switch to 12 personnel. With a rookie QB, no deep threat, an average offensive line, and a much more difficult schedule it is hard to see the offense improving year over year until late in the season. Never mind the defense which is built to play with a lead, not from behind. Regardless, Franklin will not find himself on the hot seat until at least 2027 due to the shear insanity of his contract.
Our best offensive players were the two backs....try again.

Reactions: bison13
We are probably going to lose to both plus one or two other teams. The offense is in a transition year. We lost the two best offensive players in Clifford and Strange, our top two receivers and the line looks to be only incrementally better and it didn't look average last year until the switch to 12 personnel. With a rookie QB, no deep threat, an average offensive line, and a schedule with more than two quality defenses, it is hard to see the offense improving year over year until late in the season if at all. Never mind the defense which is built to play with a lead, not from behind and that tends to happen with rookie quarterbacks.

We are likely to play three top five teams this year in Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa and potential top 15 teams in Michigan State (look for a major rebound) and Illinois. The rest of the schedule is hot garbage but we play five teams capable of beating us home or away. Regardless, Franklin will not find himself on the hot seat until at least 2027 due to the shear insanity of his contract.
His salary is barely top 10, if that. What’s insane about that?

Reactions: bison13

you have not been following penn state for very long my friend

only the most bizarre situations put any coach on the hot seat in any sport. Very, very few have ever been let go over wins and losses

His salary is barely top 10, if that. What’s insane about that?
The terms of his contract make it impossible to fire him unless he does something really wrong. Giving someone like Franklin that type of contract is insane. To refresh everyone's memory, Franklin refused to fire John Donovan, the worst offensive coordinator in history, forcing Sandy to make him or be fired himself. Kraft can't make Franklin do anything other than maintain compliance with University and NCAA policy.

The terms of his contract make it impossible to fire him unless he does something really wrong. Giving someone like Franklin that type of contract is insane. To refresh everyone's memory, Franklin refused to fire John Donovan, the worst offensive coordinator in history, forcing Sandy to make him or be fired himself. Kraft can't make Franklin do anything other than maintain compliance with University and NCAA policy.
Franklin has been hiring good assistants since the Donovan thing. Also if that story is true, why all the disdain for Barbour? that's actually good. better than Curley, who had all of the power and authority of a junior high school principal

Last edited:
Franklin has been hiring good assistants since the Donovan thing. Also if that story is true, why all the disdain for Barbour? that's actually good
For starters, the story is common knowledge around the athletic department so there is that. But Franklin's record hiring assistants is more of a mixed bag than you think.

Well, if you read the posts from the resident keyboard gasbag, the coach is a bag of $hit, the o-line is a bag of $hit, and schedule is too formidable so I guess it's losses to UM and OSU plus three others. The keyboard gasbag has spoken

Actually Michigan will be rebuilding on OL and DL. Yes they have Corum and McCarthy but what made them so tough last year was that OL.

Penn State will be undersized at DL against both UM and tOSU and that usually determines the game. There is no way really to scheme around it when the other team can run the ball and throw the ball off play action the way UM could last year. Anything is possible if PSU plays mistake-free on O, but mistake free is a rare thing in football.

No it won't. 56 million dollars guaranteed says you are pissing into the wind. A few fanboys here will hold their collective breath and stomp their feet for exercise.....but James ain't goin anywhere soon...unless he wins and has plans elsewhere.

Oh, Wally....LOL. Nothing you say here is true. You keep repeating it like Joseph Goebbels but there isn't a shred of truth to this yarn. Plus no one close to the program would ever communicate with you.

Actually Michigan will be rebuilding on OL and DL. Yes they have Corum and McCarthy but what made them so tough last year was that OL.

Penn State will be undersized at DL against both UM and tOSU and that usually determines the game. There is no way really to scheme around it when the other team can run the ball and throw the ball off play action the way UM could last year. Anything is possible if PSU plays mistake-free on O, but mistake free is a rare thing in football.
We have a better shot at OSU than Michigan. Michigan is not rebuilding either line. They do have some pieces to replace though but several are expected to be day one upgrades. The O-line is widely expected to be better. The D-line is getting more athletic and will likely be better.

No it won't. 56 million dollars guaranteed says you are pissing into the wind. A few fanboys here will hold their collective breath and stomp their feet for exercise.....but James ain't goin anywhere soon...unless he wins and has plans elsewhere.
why would anyone want him out at this point anyway? he had some down years through covid and rebounded by winning the 11 games and the Rose Bowl. the list of coaches who would do significantly better is tiny. the list of coaches who would do worse is huge

why would anyone want him out at this point anyway? he had some down years through covid and rebounded by winning the 11 games and the Rose Bowl. the list of coaches who would do significantly better is tiny. the list of coaches who would do worse is huge
Franklin is a great fit for PSU (IMO). Like any fan, I would love to win each and every game. Unlike many fans, I'm realistic and also, I like a program that has standards. I think James has done an excellent job of maintaining the foundation of what Joe built and stood for.
Many of the "fans" that don't like Franklin are Joe butt fans. You know, I liked Joe...but.....he stayed too long or whatever. I feel sorry for fans that saw Joe as only a football coach. He was an educator/coach. I feel CJF is similar.
If winning every game is important....fans have the portal.
I truly feel that if Franklin leaves PSU within the next 4 years it will be because he chooses to do so.

Many of the "fans" that don't like Franklin are Joe butt fans. You know, I liked Joe...but.....he stayed too long or whatever. I feel sorry for fans that saw Joe as only a football coach. He was an educator/coach. I feel CJF is similar.
I truly feel that if Franklin leaves PSU within the next 4 years it will be because he chooses to do so.
also Franklin has been as good or better than Joe after 1986, so, I don't even know what they are talking about

they think every year with Joe was the years between 1966 and 1972

Oh, Wally....LOL. Nothing you say here is true. You keep repeating it like Joseph Goebbels but there isn't a shred of truth to this yarn. Plus no one close to the program would ever communicate with you.
Wow, you have outdone yourself. Stick you head in the sand even further why don't you.

Franklin is a great fit for PSU (IMO). Like any fan, I would love to win each and every game. Unlike many fans, I'm realistic and also, I like a program that has standards. I think James has done an excellent job of maintaining the foundation of what Joe built and stood for.
We will be better the day Franklin leaves. Deal with it. You know it is true.

OSU will go as their defense goes. They're offense will be top 5 this year again. Unfortunately for them, their defenses have been putrid the last 3 to 4 years - they got torched by any decent offense. They get that figured out and it's lights out

Reactions: ND Heaven68
We will be better the day Franklin leaves. Deal with it. You know it is true.

"We" meaning you and who else? The voices in your head?
Perhaps you should consider your own advice. When it came to leaving and PSU "getting better" I think of Hack.

Reactions: brupsu
OSU will go as their defense goes. They're offense will be top 5 this year again. Unfortunately for them, their defenses have been putrid the last 3 to 4 years - they got torched by any decent offense. They get that figured out and it's lights out
This 100%. I have never been able to figure out why OSU cannot field an even average defense over the last few years. With decent defenses, they would have won another NC or two.

In reality, I honestly think it will be a 3-team race in the East. I think this is the year that PSU can overtake both UM and OSU

This 100%. I have never been able to figure out why OSU cannot field an even average defense over the last few years. With decent defenses, they would have won another NC or two.

In reality, I honestly think it will be a 3-team race in the East. I think this is the year that PSU can overtake both UM and OSU
it started shortly after Day took over

they are no longer unbeatable imo

when Tressel was there the offense wasn't great

these things always go back to the coaches

it started shortly after Day took over

they are no longer unbeatable imo

when Tressel was there the offense wasn't great

these things always go back to the coaches
No team is unbeatable anymore, Heck, OSU came within a missed FG (lost 41-40) of taking down Georgia last year and probably winning the NC. Keep in mind, OSU had a 14 point lead against Georgia in the 4th quarter but once again, their defense collapsed - as usual

No team is unbeatable anymore, Heck, OSU came within a missed FG (lost 41-40) of taking down Georgia last year and probably winning the NC. Keep in mind, OSU had a 14 point lead against Georgia in the 4th quarter but once again, their defense collapsed - as usual
If it were PSU we'd still be screaming about the no targeting call.....still trying to understand that one.

"We" meaning you and who else? The voices in your head?
Perhaps you should consider your own advice. When it came to leaving and PSU "getting better" I think of Hack.
We meaning Penn State. You are not a Penn Stater. You are a clown.

If it were PSU we'd still be screaming about the no targeting call.....still trying to understand that one.
Yeah, agree, but there are plays in a game that stand out for a team's fanbase who seem to ignore the calls that go their way. That's why I laugh at some of the STUPID complaining - including the Notre Dame fan base, many of whom have selective memory. After awhile, you have to just laugh and ignore some fans who constantly have their school's blinders on

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT