ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-dumpster-fire.rsquare.w700.gif

That said....I truly believe Ayala will score as many points as a compromised Spencer would have....maybe more. Navigating the Big10s and Nationals with swelling and pain would be brutal. I also think that the last two Hawkeyes to be talked in to coming back....namely Young and Kem may not be as fully invested in that comeback. It will be interesting to see if the Spencer news will be a Galvanizing event that results in renewed dedication by those two and others on the Iowa team. It could be a highly motivating rallying cry for them. We shall see. I still see the both the Big 10s and NCAAs as tight races. M. Amine showed he is a definite contender at 184. It is going to be an exciting race starting with the first Big10 dual through March. I have my FLO, ESPN+, BTN+, BTN and Rokfin to catch all the news, rankings and matches. Count me excited.
Sorry but I disagree. Lee outscores Ayala injured or not. Lee pins or techs all wrestlers seeded 6th or lower and majors his way from there. Ayala isn't doing that. Now, will the point drop be major? Possibly not but a 5 to 10 point drop is the floor on this.

Nationals is just crazy. Always astounded at how much tougher and better some kids look when I don’t expect them to. It’s like they turn up the switch. Ayala will be at his first tournament. I could see him not even placing.

Sorry but I disagree. Lee outscores Ayala injured or not. Lee pins or techs all wrestlers seeded 6th or lower and majors his way from there. Ayala isn't doing that. Now, will the point drop be major? Possibly not but a 5 to 10 point drop is the floor on this.
not sure Lee would do that this year either. From how he looked in limited matches, he wouldn't

Nationals is just crazy. Always astounded at how much tougher and better some kids look when I don’t expect them to. It’s like they turn up the switch. Ayala will be at his first tournament. I could see him not even placing.
Stranger things have happened, but the kid that won that consi-final yesterday has 4xAA all over him, if you ask me.

This is at least a 23 point swing in our favor, at least. Last year Spencer scored 24.5 points (Howard 1.5) (Hildebrant 12.5). I know the weight will be tougher and Lee might not have majored his way through, but at best now Iowa scores 8-10. Hildebrant could be anywhere from 5-15 points. We are going from being -23 to potentially +10. Even if Ayala and Hildebrant place similarly, we still are +23. That’s enormous.

This is at least a 23 point swing in our favor, at least. Last year Spencer scored 24.5 points (Howard 1.5) (Hildebrant 12.5). I know the weight will be tougher and Lee might not have majored his way through, but at best now Iowa scores 8-10. Hildebrant could be anywhere from 5-15 points. We are going from being -23 to potentially +10. Even if Ayala and Hildebrant place similarly, we still are +23. That’s enormous.

Not really fair to say it's a ~33 point swing due to Lee's injury IMO, since you already had Hildebrandt and most people had already been factoring him in. The swing is really just the difference between Lee and Ayala.

Not really fair to say it's a ~33 point swing due to Lee's injury IMO, since you already had Hildebrandt and most people had already been factoring him in. The swing is really just the difference between Lee and Ayala.
That would be the normal way to think about.

To be fair, nobody said the thing that you say is not fair to say.

In reality, mjmirv said 23 to 33 points, and he literally was talking about the ongoing swing versus last year, and not the last increment of the swing, which increment is due to Lee’s injury. He could’ve phrased his point better initially, but it was clear what he was saying once we read his whole post.

Listening to TFW podcast and so far willie is doing his normal show.

@corbyV is in the comments of the show shoveling sh!t.

Originally when this started I was a popcorn kind of guy about it. Now I just hope they hug it out. The show isnt the same. You need 2 talkers and they had what I thought was a good back and forth.

But if Corby is right this will hang around willie and hurt his long term plans. If you cant hug it out at least for your own sanity's down give the jackals of the internet ammunition to torment you both. Cuz the internet never forgets and will zap good feelings in an instant. Your both good dudes and dont need that sh!t.

Aww … your feelings get hurt ? Which part so I know where to keep it up ?
If you are trying to be funny....you are not. If you are serious......listen to the board and please stop.....for your own good. You are revealing a part of your personality that should be embarrassing. That it appears not.....it is saddening. Do better.

Corby following Willie around the interwebs like a crazy ex-girlfriend is almost as off-putting as Willie's wedding photo. I am not at all interested in what the backstory is. I just wanna hear about wrestling not 40 yr old bald man drama.
This whole thing is silly. There are so few wrestling sources out there and this is how they treat one another. Just sad.

Normal Spencer....I would agree. But we saw his performance drop during his first tournament. He described the swelling and pain from even a short practice. To think that 12 days after the toughest Conference championships....he would be anywhere near normal for NCAAs is very far-fetched. I want to see normal Spencer. Super excited to see a newly improved normal Spencer.

Normal Spencer....I would agree. But we saw his performance drop during his first tournament. He described the swelling and pain from even a short practice. To think that 12 days after the toughest Conference championships....he would be anywhere near normal for NCAAs is very far-fetched. I want to see normal Spencer. Super excited to see a newly improved normal Spencer.
True but conjecture. No way of telling or predicting how those injuries would have affected him.

True but conjecture. No way of telling or predicting how those injuries would have affected him.
He gave an interview where he said everything I mentioned about his pain and swelling and inability to practice. The only "conjecture" is to say he would not be able to score as many points in a long and tough tournament. He stated that after his first tournament of 3 matches.....that he realized he could not perform to his normal standards. Interpret the point dropoff as you choose

Yeah, they should keep their dirty laundry private. At the very least, not use the team boards to catfight.
Oh hell…I disagree. This is a little slice of Jersey Shore played out on our own network. Embrace The Situation!

Neither Ayala nor Hildebrant are finishing 1st
He's referring to Spencer (1st) and Ayala (5th, potentially) in that comment, I believe. Meaning, their previous, nearly guaranteed 1st at 125lbs placing and 24-28pts, vs 12 or so with 5th place. Obviously these can vary a bit depending on bonus points.

But, Lee scored 24.5 pts last year. Taylor Lamont scored 12, for 5th. Sam Latona scored 9, for 6th. Robbie Howard scored 1.5.

Let's say Ayala beats Hildebrandt for 5th place, and they each had similar performances to the 5th (12pts) and 6th (9) place guys from last year. That's a 12.5pt dropoff for Iowa and a 7.5pt improvement for PSU. That's a 20 point total swing towards Penn State.

Oh hell…I disagree. This is a little slice of Jersey Shore played out on our own network. Embrace The Situation!

It's more like embracing Falling Down Sloppy Drunk Snooki ... but since you said The Situation:

19.gif

Reactions: Petch
When RoHo was announced out and they thought Spencer could rehab his way back to 2020 Spencer, Iowa was looking for a 25 point advantage at 125 to be honest. Even if Hildebrandt R12 going 2-2 (2 pts) and Drake gets 5th with a major the first 2 rounds (12 pts), it's a 10 point advantage now.

For the record, it's absolutely still a team race with Spencer out. Iowa has to dig deep at other weights but they have the depth. The scenario I mentioned above (Iowa still having a decided advantage at 125) is how Iowa wins.

Now if Kemerer is out or even severely banged up then it might be a another scenario.

Last edited:
When RoHo was announced out and they thought Spencer could rehab his way back to 2020 Spencer, Iowa was looking for a 25 point advantage at 125 to be honest. Even if Hildebrandt R12 going 2-2 (2 pts) and Drake gets 5th with a major the first 2 rounds (12 pts), it's a 10 point advantage now.

For the record, it's absolutely still a team race with Spencer out. Iowa has to dig deep at other weights but that scenario I mentioned above (Iowa still having a decided advantage at 125) is how Iowa wins.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Warner is getting non-calls all the way to 4th again this year.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Warner is getting non-calls all the way to 4th again this year.
Call me crazy but Warner probably gets 4th last year anyways even if he loses the first round. I'd think differently if I saw him melt down in wrestlebacks historically but he doesn't, he's pretty good at them actually.

For the record, it's absolutely still a team race with Spencer out. Iowa has to dig deep at other weights but they have the depth. The scenario I mentioned above (Iowa still having a decided advantage at 125) is how Iowa wins.

Now if Kemerer is out or even severely banged up then it might be a another scenario.
I think kemerer has to be out. We will see this weekend for certain, but unless kemerer goes 184, kemerers response to Mineo seemed more as a stall tactic. I believe askren said it best on a FRL but if kem was coming back at 174 then Nelson brands would not have been there and instead at 184 where he is the better wrestler. If the rumors are true and swaffords RS has been pulled which again will be confirmed this weekend, it will either signify kemerer is done for good or moves up to 184

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN and AndEEss
Can humbly I request that people who want to talk about wrestling personality drama (including about Mineo) start a new thread ala COVID? I purposely don't use Twitter to stay away from the infighting and toxcity, people who really want to follow it can do it there in spades.

I concur I enjoyed what Willie and Corby had going and loved the podcast but I don't want to get sucked into whatever this is. I come to this board to talk about wrestling, not about the people who cover wrestling. It can also be bumped later for Flo drama, Nomad, Downey etc. I know way too much about these people's lives and I actively try to avoid it - just human nature I guess. If it has its own thread people like me (and it appears others from the replies) can stay away while the rest can talk away and enjoy themselves.

If I'm the only one who feels that way so be it, I'll just step gingerly over the poop that'll get thrown around when these things come up.

Last edited:
Not to be a d*ck but if you don't want toxicity and drama, don't click a post with Mineo in the title lol.
You aren't wrong and if this is the only thread I'm fine with it. But topics like these keep coming up more and more, going in and out of various other threads. I'm trying to find a way to get ahead of it... Once again if it's just me who feels this way then and I'll shut up and move on.

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT