ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

There are rumors flying around on the West Coast that the USC president has prohibited the new AD from hiring Urban. Take it for what it's worth.

Let this sink in. The only people that want Franklin gone are a few resident psychopaths here and the fans of the teams we play. What does that tell you.

love the guy. He’s not above criticism... he has made suspect time management decisions and has clammed up in years past against tough opponents. I can see him jmproving and his overall coaching MO is absolutely the tits for PSU. He gets it and remains the best man for the job, and it’s not even close.

The trending word is that USC is keeping Helton. Have to assume that for some reason there is not mutual interest between USC and Meyer. As mentioned above, the Star Ledger is passing along old news. Penn Live ran the same dated news yesterday. FSU has moved on to second tier candidates.
It’s the buyout

Definitely a lot of talent down up in Tallahassee, no doubt. And Tempe too, for that matter.

Interestingly enough, it sounds like both FSU and USC are running into money problems when it comes to landing a coach with a big pedigree. While I complain a lot about financial decisions PSU has made over the past decade, our donor base and BIG contract seem to keep us pretty flush.

He has a beach house in Ft Walton beach, fairly near Tallahassee, FWIW
First of all, that's a 3 hour drive, which I would not say is "fairly near", but everyone has different ideas about what constitutes a short drive.

Second of all, taking a job because it is close to your vacation house seems like a terrible idea. I would think you'd want to use your vacation house to get away from it all. Not be close enough to the office that you could go in for half a day.

add to this is FSU a "destination job"? apparently not as the last coach quit to go to Texas A&M, unless you think that TAM is now a destination job. FSU does not have half the football tradition of Penn State.

i also agree with the poster who said that a coach looking around in stealth while employed to coach a team is no different than a player looking around in stealth while on the team. same level of loyalty = 0
Agreed on the "destination job" aspect.

Regarding your second point, maybe I misunderstand what you are saying, but I don't think Franklin is "looking around." I think schools (this year and in the past) have come to Franklin's agent. The agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't take those calls and relay those messages to Franklin. Whether CJF has actually talked directly to anyone from FSU this year isn't known (but I would guess not).

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT