ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

Will be a decision some will always regret too. Wouldn't you deep down feel like $hit if your team lost a close game?

World Camping Bowl. We're talking about a meaningless game against Syracuse. I wouldn't feel bad for a second. Bowl games are a joke. I think a lot of players feel that way as well. Go for the SWAG. If you win awesome if not oh well.

Do you think Christian McCaffrey has ever regretted his decision?

Reactions: Ski
I think this post needs an asterisk with, "that I know of."

Any / all kids most likely would reside in one or two or three (etc.) different school districts scattered throughout the USA, not necessarily his own local school dist!

Reactions: Chris92
Oh wait...he was getting significant compensation in form of a scholarship. Wonder if the schools stop the scholarship benefits for those players who although healthy elect not to practice with the team. How about continuing to provide access to workout facilities?

I imagine a bowl game happens after fall semester and he will not be getting a spring scholarship.

So, not really.

Ldn

Yes, but Barkley had his reps cut.

True, but he still made a significant contribution on the field. Plus, he was there to support the team before and during the game. I’m sure his presence and contributions meant a lot to the team.

As a fan, I am not owed anything by players who are debating whether to play in a bowl. But as a TEAMMATE? I think that would be somewhat different, or at least I would understand if it were.

I wouldn’t make that assumption. I doubt these kids have a ton of time in season to talk to nfl evaluators, coaches and agents about potential draft position. Either way, i don’t blame kids one bit. The system is rigged to force them into a form on indentured servitude. They generate millions for these schools and if they get hurt, the schools don’t give them a dime to recoup their lost earnings.

The flip side to that though is all the ones in non-revenue sports (which is most of them) that not only don't generate money but lose money and in fact lots of the money generated by the revenue sport athletes goes to support the non-revenue sport athletes. The non-revenue athletes know that they'll never get a payday in the pros but they still play in college.

I can't imagine the NFL spending money on that. The NFL will be using college football for as long as they possibly can and that's what they should be doing.

If there’s money to be made, the nfl will find a way. I suspect there will be other players interested. Think Vince McMahon et al.

If there’s money to be made, the nfl will find a way. I suspect there will be other players interested. Think Vince McMahon et al.

Who's going to watch a development league? The NFL has it too good with the caliber of football being played in college to spend a penny on a developmental league. I don't see how it would ever to generate revenue.

Forgotten about others this season? Not at all. Why would you think I’m not aware of others that have already announced.

You seem unaware that OSU had a player this season who decided they werent going to play the last few games.

His name is Nick Bosa.

It is exactly the scenario you said you were waiting for in your first post.

LdN

Look at the poor kid from UCF and then tell me you wouldn’t strongly consider the same if you were projected to make millions in the nfl in a few months. It’s obviously a highly personal decision, but college football is and has been the nfl minor leagues for many years. These highly skilled kids aren’t aiming for desk jobs on Wall Street.

What’s wrong with desk jobs on Wall Street? BTW- those pay more than league minimums now and can grow exponentially, no risk of injury.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of the system they created. It started back with the BCS. Now it's the NY6.

I am 53. I remember a time when getting to a bowl game ... ANY bowl game ... was a rewarding accomplishment. There was a time when bowls reps would actually "court" teams. I remember seeing Penn State games in the 70s and 80s and by early November the Beaver Stadium press box was jammed with guys in tacky bowl blazers trying to sell Penn St on their bowl.

Getting a bowl invitation was a big deal and when a school got a bowl invitation it was meaningful.

Now, we have a system of automatic tie-ins, where schools are guaranteed a spot in a bowl as long as they finish .500. It's become a system of entitlement instead of reward. Also, the BCS and now the NY6 have created a "class system". There are the BCS bowls "and all other bowls". There are the NY6 bowls "and all other bowls". When you get slotted into that "all other bowls" category, then basically you are being told your bowl is not as important.

This is the system that ESPN, the Networks and the so-called "power brokers" have created for us.

IMO, you can not blame a guy not playing in what is considered a meaningless game, for the risk of his NFL career.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of the system they created. It started back with the BCS. Now it's the NY6.

I am 53. I remember a time when getting to a bowl game ... ANY bowl game ... was a rewarding accomplishment. There was a time when bowls reps would actually "court" teams. I remember seeing Penn State games in the 70s and 80s and by early November the Beaver Stadium press box was jammed with guys in tacky bowl blazers trying to sell Penn St on their bowl.

Getting a bowl invitation was a big deal and when a school got a bowl invitation it was meaningful.

Now, we have a system of automatic tie-ins, where schools are guaranteed a spot in a bowl as long as they finish .500. It's become a system of entitlement instead of reward. Also, the BCS and now the NY6 have created a "class system". There are the BCS bowls "and all other bowls". There are the NY6 bowls "and all other bowls". When you get slotted into that "all other bowls" category, then basically you are being told your bowl is not as important.

This is the system that ESPN, the Networks and the so-called "power brokers" have created for us.

IMO, you can not blame a guy not playing in what is considered a meaningless game, for the risk of his NFL career.

Back then, bowls were meaningless exhibition games meant to increase tourism to warm weather destinations during times when people didn’t travel as much. Furthermore, the upside to kids going to the NFL wasn’t that big.

Now, bowl games are just as meaningless, and the only purpose they serve for most programs is to give them another month of practice. Add to that how lucrative an NFL contract can be for these players! So I don’t blame these guys one bit for not participating and risking their future. I’d go as far as saying players that do partake in 90% of the bowls are being wreckless with their future. They are meaningless bowl games with all kinds of risk and zero reward.

Also, in society today, people no longer tend to nest during the holidays and are much more willing to travel for vacations during bowl seasons, just not necessarily to a bowl destination. Because of that, I’m curious to know if the bowl games move the needle in regards to tourism as they once did.

You seem unaware that OSU had a player this season who decided they werent going to play the last few games.

His name is Nick Bosa.

It is exactly the scenario you said you were waiting for in your first post.

LdN

Gotcha, understand your (flawed) logic now.

I attribute Bosa being through 100% related to an injury that caused him to miss games and his focus in recovering / avoiding further injury. I never saw that he was cleared to return to action. A different situation than a healthy player bailing on his team to avoid an injury.

ESPN didn’t cause this, the fans did. The fans are the ones that have been screaming about a playoff system for years. The fans are the ones who want a “true” national champion. The university presidents and most of the coaches like the bowl system where they get rewarded for having a mediocre season. Fans pushed back and they came up with the BCS and that wasn’t good enough. Now they have a four team playoff and that’s not good enough. Then they will go to 8 and that won’t be good enough. When fans want a true NC then they’re the ones who have made all the other games meaningless, so I have no problem with players that don’t want to play in a meaningless game and risk millions of dollars.

ESPN didn’t cause this, the fans did. The fans are the ones that have been screaming about a playoff system for years. The fans are the ones who want a “true” national champion. The university presidents and most of the coaches like the bowl system where they get rewarded for having a mediocre season. Fans pushed back and they came up with the BCS and that wasn’t good enough. Now they have a four team playoff and that’s not good enough. Then they will go to 8 and that won’t be good enough. When fans want a true NC then they’re the ones who have made all the other games meaningless, so I have no problem with players that don’t want to play in a meaningless game and risk millions of dollars.
I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again. If the old or new bowl system was/is so great, why is no other sport on earth looking to replicate it?

Reactions: nittnee

Also include local politicos in that system. They are the ones who create the organizations that create bowl games to get fans to come and spend their money.

I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again. If the old or new bowl system was/is so great, why is no other sport on earth looking to replicate it?
I never said it was so great....I’m one of the fans that want a playoff system. But the post was about how ESPN ruined the bowls and made them meaningless unlike the good ole days when they were so great. It can’t be both ways...either the bowls are what matter or a playoff is what matters....most fans prefer a playoff, so these same fans shouldn’t complain about the bowls being meaningless and players skipping them.

I never said it was so great....I’m one of the fans that want a playoff system. But the post was about how ESPN ruined the bowls and made them meaningless unlike the good ole days when they were so great. It can’t be both ways...either the bowls are what matter or a playoff is what matters....most fans prefer a playoff, so these same fans shouldn’t complain about the bowls being meaningless and players skipping them.
Got it. Agreed!

Gotcha, understand your (flawed) logic now.

I attribute Bosa being through 100% related to an injury that caused him to miss games and his focus in recovering / avoiding further injury. I never saw that he was cleared to return to action. A different situation than a healthy player bailing on his team to avoid an injury.

So you believe his injury prevented him from playing in a game in December. I mean whatever you want to believe.

The fact is, he never even tried.

Most understood he put the NFL above his team. And for the most part we are ok with that. Why try to get back for a game... maybe two, when you may be the #1 overall pick.

So back to your original point... waiting for someone to forgo the last game of the season to prepare for the NFL... Bosa.

Ldn

Last edited:
The time is approaching when highly-rated players will skip playing with their team in the playoffs.

Now you're being silly. He didn't come up with this in the past few days. Even the WVU board knows that.
I wouldn’t make that assumption. I doubt these kids have a ton of time in season to talk to nfl evaluators, coaches and agents about potential draft position. Either way, i don’t blame kids one bit. The system is rigged to force them into a form on indentured servitude. They generate millions for these schools and if they get hurt, the schools don’t give them a dime to recoup their lost earnings.
You know what? In the current system I don’t blame the kids either. That is why the schools should be purchasing insurance plans for these kids that covers potential lost wages in the event of a major injury. These guys have trained their entire lives. To Risk it all in the “who cares bowl” seems quite silly to me. An insurance plan would encourage participation in these silly bowl games or even senior seasons. We need to lose the fairytale that college football is an extracurricular activity and a degree is the #1 goal of these kids.

Using that logic, all bowls outside playoff are pointless.

They are pointless. Outside of some rando trophy and an extra W/L for a team, they really mean nothing to a player moving on to the NFL. Why pretend otherwise? I like it as a fan, sure, but not gonna care if a kid passes to protect his draft status.

Where do you guys stand with OOC games, especially those late in the year (SEC)?

Hopefully this will help expand the playoff too. Won’t be anyone in the invitational that I imagine will sit out.
well the flip side is if they expand to 8 or 12 it will render the bowls even more meaningless. At that point they will be more like early spring games rather than a reward.
How much chance does WVU have without Grier playing? At what point does the WVU coach go "all in" and sit his seniors and play next years kids. Unfortunate trend indeed.

Shouldn't fans be buying the tickets to support the team not just not a star QB? I can understand the argument that he should stay and play with his teammates (even though I disagree with it) but he doesn't have any obligation to the fans. This is a meaningless bowl game (like all but 2) and he has no obligation to play. There's a difference between sitting out a meaningful game as you chase a title and the Camping World Bowl against Syracuse. Other than the SWAG I don't understand why any player entering the draft would play in the game.

i know it's the money but the "money" was always good from a relative standpoint and yet this seems like a pretty new trend. When it evolve to a glorified spring game will the fans and TV still be interested?

The WV board is in melt down mode and many have turned on Grier. I can’t believe they’re getting this worked up about a crap bowl. I would have been just fine if Barkley had not played last year and that was at lead a NY6 bowl. I’m not sure they realize they wouldn’t even be in a bowl if not for Grier.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
What’s wrong with desk jobs on Wall Street? BTW- those pay more than league minimums now and can grow exponentially, no risk of injury.
I have friends who work on Wall Street and do very well. I’m by no means dissing Wall Street. It’s just a comparison to desirable non-sports jobs.

i know it's the money but the "money" was always good from a relative standpoint and yet this seems like a pretty new trend. When it evolve to a glorified spring game will the fans and TV still be interested?

I don't even know why fans are interested now. I'll watch Penn State-Kentucky but it's like watching the Blue-White game. It doesn't mean anything. Might as well get some kids playing time for next year. The bowl system is antiquated and needs to be killed off

I don't even know why fans are interested now. I'll watch Penn State-Kentucky but it's like watching the Blue-White game. It doesn't mean anything. Might as well get some kids playing time for next year. The bowl system is antiquated and needs to be killed off
Well, it’s a win or loss just like any other-not that players aren’t quitting on their final season games more as well. CJF will be bonused off it. We’re expected to spend loads on it. And, while there’s way too many, if the bowls get killed off too much the players will lose a huge perk in the travel, etc.

But who knows, maybe reducing the value of the bowls will help convince our commissioner that winning the conf championship means something.

Reactions: WestSideLion
I imagine a bowl game happens after fall semester and he will not be getting a spring scholarship.

So, not really.

Ldn

Wrong. Financial aid can't be less than for an academic year. Can only be withdrawn if an athlete leaves school, not simply the team. Largely moot for those prepping for the NFL.

The WV board is in melt down mode and many have turned on Grier. I can’t believe they’re getting this worked up about a crap bowl. I would have been just fine if Barkley had not played last year and that was at lead a NY6 bowl. I’m not sure they realize they wouldn’t even be in a bowl if not for Grier.
You should not take that board as a barometer of the whole fanbase. I know a lot of Wvu fans. Maybe 15% are pissed.

You should not take that board as a barometer of the whole fanbase. I know a lot of Wvu fans. Maybe 15% are pissed.

I think the fanboys are more pissed off than players and coaches are. The players realize what someone in Grier's position has at stake and that it's more important than some jackshit bowl. Same with the coaches, who, in addition. find it advantageous going forward to maintain good relations with NFL players from their schools, particularly if they wind up to be stars.

Reactions: LionJim
I may be missing something. But Grier does not have a draftworthy senior season if his teammates dont block and tackle for him.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I may be missing something. But Grier does not have a draftworthy senior season if his teammates dont block and tackle for him.
Well, we saw how well they blocked and tackled last year after he got hurt and they didn’t win a game.

Well, it’s a win or loss just like any other-not that players aren’t quitting on their final season games more as well. CJF will be bonused off it. We’re expected to spend loads on it. And, while there’s way too many, if the bowls get killed off too much the players will lose a huge perk in the travel, etc.

But who knows, maybe reducing the value of the bowls will help convince our commissioner that winning the conf championship means something.

JMO--there's an obligation to play the regular season and the playoff. There's no obligation to play an exhibition game.

I have no clue why a coach's bonus is relevant or why we think players need a reward for going 6-6 or even 9-3. Expand the playoffs and those worthy will continue to play in meaningful games.

I don't know why anyone spends money on bowl games. Especially a game like this year.

What does this have to do with Grier playing in a bowl game?
Ideally all top players start doing this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT