ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
It's obviously his choice, but I hate this trend. Granted, it’s his career, his livelihood at stake, but it wasn’t that long ago that this was never an issue.

We already have too many bowl games with too many bad match-ups. The qualIty of play will go down as more NFL talent (real or perceived) foregoes bowl games. A benefit for an affected program, however, is that younger guys will get more game experience heading into the next season.

Last year, some thought Barkley would skip the Fiesta Bowl, but he’s cut from a different cloth. We were fortunate to have him in so many ways.

It's obviously his choice, but I hate this trend. Granted, it’s his career, his livelihood at stake, but it wasn’t that long ago that this was never an issue.

We already have too many bowl games with too many bad match-ups. The qualIty of play will go down as more NFL talent (real or perceived) foregoes bowl games. A benefit for an affected program, however, is that younger guys will get more game experience heading into the next season.

Last year, some thought Barkley would skip the Fiesta Bowl, but he’s cut from a different cloth. We were fortunate to have him in so many ways.
I wonder when we'll learn if any PSU or KY players are skipping the Citrus Bowl.

I think the playoff format has created a lot of this. As much as I don’t care for it I also don’t blame some of the players for doing it.

Yet, the majority of high draft picks are playing in their bowl games. For some reason the media is trying to make this an epidemic of guys skipping games.

Yes, a very sad trend.

Waiting until a player decides not to play their last regular season game.....or the game before that.

Extremely disrespectful to the teammates that busted their butts so you could be successful.
Look at the poor kid from UCF and then tell me you wouldn’t strongly consider the same if you were projected to make millions in the nfl in a few months. It’s obviously a highly personal decision, but college football is and has been the nfl minor leagues for many years. These highly skilled kids aren’t aiming for desk jobs on Wall Street.

It does seem like the media pushes it, just like they push players to leave school early for the draft. Any player with pro potential constantly has it brought up to them.

Reactions: 81b&w
Look at the poor kid from UCF and then tell me you wouldn’t strongly consider the same if you were projected to make millions in the nfl in a few months. It’s obviously a highly personal decision, but college football is and has been the nfl minor leagues for many years. These highly skilled kids aren’t aiming for desk jobs on Wall Street.

He should have announced a week ago. Waiting a week while unsuspecting fans of both teams buy bowl tickets at premium prices has very bad optics for him and/or the school.

He should have announced a week ago. Waiting a week while unsuspecting fans of both teams buy bowl tickets at premium prices has very bad optics for him and/or the school.
Really? I think taking a couple of weeks to gather info and make a decision is reasonable. It’s a big decision...one he wants to try and get right.

Really? I think taking a couple of weeks to gather info and make a decision is reasonable. It’s a big decision...one he wants to try and get right.

Now you're being silly. He didn't come up with this in the past few days. Even the WVU board knows that.

Agree 100%. Plus the whole month+ between games in ridiculous also.

Anyways, a lot of fans and probably coaches would rather get a look of other guys. Do you think it’s going to devestate WVU losing the Camp World bowl LOL

Looking at it another way. A coach takes a position elsewhere and does not coach the bowl game. A player who is no longer enrolled in classes in January, and may have already graduated, doesn't play in an exhibition game because of the risk of injury before the NFL draft.

If I had an issue with the latter, I would also have to have an issue with the former. I actually have more of an issue with the coach leaving before the bowl game, but I can't get upset with a player who is essentially playing for free when the coach is likely making even more money. The player definitely has more on the line.

Last edited:
Yes, a very sad trend.

Waiting until a player decides not to play their last regular season game.....or the game before that.

Extremely disrespectful to the teammates that busted their butts so you could be successful.

This already happened... this season. Forgotten already?

LdN

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Further reinforces the importance of the bowl games that aren't playoffs - which is minimal.

Maybe they should have considered this and paid him for the bowl game if he was key to ticket purchases.

LdN

My insinuation is that their AD did have an idea and was attempting to do some $$ damage control.

Grier is 23 and no stranger to legal proceedings. He went through quite a bit with the PED issue at Florida, the transfer to WVU, and issues around exact date of eligibility. He didn't wait until the end of this season to begin considering his next move.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Now you're being silly. He didn't come up with this in the past few days. Even the WVU board knows that.
I wouldn’t make that assumption. I doubt these kids have a ton of time in season to talk to nfl evaluators, coaches and agents about potential draft position. Either way, i don’t blame kids one bit. The system is rigged to force them into a form on indentured servitude. They generate millions for these schools and if they get hurt, the schools don’t give them a dime to recoup their lost earnings.

Someone can tear a knee apart in a non-contact drill.

If he’s that worried about an injury, why even play game #12 (OU) after losing game #11 (Okla St)?

Or, if it had been a Penn Stater, why not call it after the MSU loss?

As I have already said, people will eventually ruin college football. This has started years ago

Shouldn't fans be buying the tickets to support the team not just not a star QB? I can understand the argument that he should stay and play with his teammates (even though I disagree with it) but he doesn't have any obligation to the fans. This is a meaningless bowl game (like all but 2) and he has no obligation to play. There's a difference between sitting out a meaningful game as you chase a title and the Camping World Bowl against Syracuse. Other than the SWAG I don't understand why any player entering the draft would play in the game.

Someone can tear a knee apart in a non-contact drill.

If he’s that worried about an injury, why even play game #12 (OU) after losing game #11 (Okla St)?

Or, if it had been a Penn Stater, why not call it after the MSU loss?
We are headed in that direction. The NBA’s dev league will lead to something similar in the nfl. Kids who have no desire to get an education should not be forced to play college football. As I said, it’s a form of indentured servitude.

Class players like Barkley, make class decisions. Its also a statement of the program,---PSU valued and supported him,, in return, his loyalty to the Team and nurturing community was returned. Class, class, and classy, both ways and all the way around.

Yes, but Barkley had his reps cut.

Maybe they should have considered this and paid him for the bowl game if he was key to ticket purchases.

LdN
Oh wait...he was getting significant compensation in form of a scholarship. Wonder if the schools stop the scholarship benefits for those players who although healthy elect not to practice with the team. How about continuing to provide access to workout facilities?

it is financially too risky for those type of players. i can see their point, especially if the game is not part of the playoffs. Oliver is skipping the UH v Army game and discussed the chop block/marginally legit scheme that Army OL runs. easy to get serious injury if you are a DL, so he is skipping the game.

We are headed in that direction. The NBA’s dev league will lead to something similar in the nfl. Kids who have no desire to get an education should not be forced to play college football. As I said, it’s a form of indentured servitude.

I can't imagine the NFL spending money on that. The NFL will be using college football for as long as they possibly can and that's what they should be doing.

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT