ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

Yep. NFL teams don’t consider the whole picture when evaluating QBs. Ok. Tell that to Conner Cook. (See article below). Why does Chad Kelly not have a job? From a talent standpoint, he probably has more skills than Grier. Why does Kaepernick and Tebow not have jobs? They are probably better than some of the backups in the league. But the off the field decisions / stuff makes it not worth having them on the roster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nfl-draft-2016-quarterback-analysis-character

Ummm Kelly was drafted despite everything because of his talent. He was even on a roster until he YET AGAIN did something stupid. Grier isn't comparable to Kelly.

Tebow doesn't have a job because he's not an NFL QB. There's literally nothing about him off the field that would prevent him from being on a roster.

Kaep doesn't have a job because he's not an NFL QB and he can't serve as a backup because you have to change your scheme to fit him.

If you can play you will get countless chances. Kareem Hunt will be back soon.

You're trying way too hard to make sitting out a bowl game a big deal

Got it. There are all sorts of things that can make a team choose one QB over another when deciding their board. Sometimes the calls are razor thin. If you think there is zero chance that Grier’s decision to bail on his team could make a scouting department favor someone else who they believe is similarly talented, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Imagine two very close candidates for a job. One left his last employer in a little bit of a lurch by leaving before finishing out a project he was in charge of. The other candidate finished every project he started. Do you honestly think there is zero chance that those factors could impact who gets the job?

Again, QB is different. Teams factor both tangible and intangibles into their decision making. This could hurt him. To dismiss that notion outright is naive.

As someone that spends way too much time interviewing people I couldn't care less if someone left a project before he finished it if there was a legit reason for it and, again, Grier has already finished the project. The season is over for WVU. He's skipping an exhibition game. It's like not going to the award ceremony for the "finished project" because you moved onto your next job. Completely irrelevant. Seriously, a bowl game is basically a wrap party in TV/movie terms. The work is done.

Ummm Kelly was drafted despite everything because of his talent. He was even on a roster until he YET AGAIN did something stupid. Grier isn't comparable to Kelly.

Tebow doesn't have a job because he's not an NFL QB. There's literally nothing about him off the field that would prevent him from being on a roster.

Kaep doesn't have a job because he's not an NFL QB and he can't serve as a backup because you have to change your scheme to fit him.

If you can play you will get countless chances. Kareem Hunt will be back soon.

You're trying way too hard to make sitting out a bowl game a big deal

I guess the countless NFL players who publicly state that Kapernick is better than at least some of the current NFL backups are clueless, right? Here is the deal. I believe Kapernick isn’t on an NFL team because he is a distraction. He doesn’t put the football team first. From a talent perspective, he is probably worth a roster spot.

I am done arguing with you, Dude. We have differences of opinion.

I guess the countless NFL players who publicly state that Kapernick is better than at least some of the current NFL backups are clueless, right? Here is the deal. I believe Kapernick isn’t on an NFL team because he is a distraction. He doesn’t put the football team first. From a talent perspective, he is probably worth a roster spot.

I am done arguing with you, Dude. We have differences of opinion.

Why would NFL players claim Kaep is better? Hmmm. He absolutely is a distraction but he also doesn't fit as a backup because he's not going to fit most schemes. He could sign with Baltimore next year but that's about the only place that makes sense.

Difference of opinions is fine. Grier's doing what he believes is best for him. Hopefully it works out for the guy. If not, at least he did what he deemed was best for his life.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Yep. NFL teams don’t consider the whole picture when evaluating QBs. Ok. Tell that to Conner Cook. (See article below). Why does Chad Kelly not have a job? From a talent standpoint, he probably has more skills than Grier. Why does Kaepernick and Tebow not have jobs? They are probably better than some of the backups in the league. But the off the field decisions / stuff makes it not worth having them on the roster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nfl-draft-2016-quarterback-analysis-character
Wow, so now you have him a trouble maker because in your head this is bad. LOL, this is about skipping a bowl game to actually prep for the NFL. Yeah, really bad move the NFL will frown upon even though we already know they don’t. You’re clueless about what is happening here and are projecting your warped feelings.

The NFL will not hold this against him. Sorry you don’t realize this yet. I’ll give you a few more years to figure it out. We all learn at our own pace.

Last edited:
Ok, Dude. I will bet anything that he doesn’t go in the first round (especially if Haskins and Herbert come out).

Did you watch any WVU this year? They have guys running wide open all over the field. And Grier rarely faces a pass rush in B12. Look at the OU game. He was sitting back there all day because OU was often going with a 3 man pass rush. He also throws a ton of quick passes and underneath stuff that artificially boosts completion percentage.

I remember watching him in the Kansas game. Kansas was in the game until the 4Q largely because Grier threw three picks inside his own 5 yard line and fumbled a couple of times. WVU kept on throwing it in that game despite the fact they were gaining great yardage every time they ran the ball. My buddy who is a former WVU player would constantly complain how he felt Holgerson was calling plays to pad Grier’s stats for the Heisman. He is thrilled that Grier retuned the favor by bailing on the bowl game.
I watched almost all of his games for the last two years. I lived in WV for over 20 years and have way more than one friend who is a WVU fan and I am also friends with a few guys who used to play for WVU. If Holgerson was calling plays to pad his stats, that’s on Holgerson not Grier. Everything I’ve heard points to Grier being a top notch person and a great leader. He’s apparently a very mature young man who does a lot for the community outside of football. Most WVU fans appreciate what he’s done....those that are trashing him now (like your buddy) are just whiny little bitches who think everything is about them. All my friends that are WVU fans understand why he’s not playing and are fine with his decision.

Got it. There are all sorts of things that can make a team choose one QB over another when deciding their board. Sometimes the calls are razor thin. If you think there is zero chance that Grier’s decision to bail on his team could make a scouting department favor someone else who they believe is similarly talented, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Imagine two very close candidates for a job. One left his last employer in a little bit of a lurch by leaving before finishing out a project he was in charge of. The other candidate finished every project he started. Do you honestly think there is zero chance that those factors could impact who gets the job?

Again, QB is different. Teams factor both tangible and intangibles into their decision making. This could hurt him. To dismiss that notion outright is naive. Listen to Greg McElroy’s show. He talked about this today. In his view, Grier’s decision could possibly hurt him. You should call into his show and explain why you think there is ZERO chance Grier’s decision could bite him a bit. It would be great to hear you stumble through that argument.
I’m quite sure he’s skipping the bowl game to work on the skills he needs to improve to make sure the difference between him and another candidate is not razor thin. He’s not going to improve in the areas NFL teams are looking for practicing for a bowl game with WVU’s air raid offense. You keep saying he won’t be a first rounder so maybe he’s trying to ensure that he will be a first rounder. While these other QB’s are still practicing in their college offenses, Grier is working on the skills the NFL specifically wants to see.

Maybe Grier simply hates west virginia and its athletic supporters. It's possible. A lot of people hate us.

I’m quite sure he’s skipping the bowl game to work on the skills he needs to improve to make sure the difference between him and another candidate is not razor thin. He’s not going to improve in the areas NFL teams are looking for practicing for a bowl game with WVU’s air raid offense. You keep saying he won’t be a first rounder so maybe he’s trying to ensure that he will be a first rounder. While these other QB’s are still practicing in their college offenses, Grier is working on the skills the NFL specifically wants to see.
I have seen him anywhere from the 5th to 8th QB taken so apparently not playing in this bowl game will make him the 10-12 or much later. The NFL will be so mad he is prepping for the NFL that they will hold it against him even though we know they did not do that the last 2 years. Grier does have things to work on for the NFL game and he made a sound move in doing this as he is one QB that can move up possibly. I don't think this person understands how much the NFL doesn't give a crap about this last minute mediocore bowl game. From a competitive standpoint all they have to do is pop on the UT game this year for WVa and it shows a kid that is a tough hard nosed leader and football player. Maybe I missed it, but this smith guy thinks he's a thug now like Chad Kelly, but I don't recall reading all that much about Grier getting into a ton of problems while in Morgantown. Was that the local buzz?

I have seen him anywhere from the 5th to 8th QB taken so apparently not playing in this bowl game will make him the 10-12 or much later. The NFL will be so mad he is prepping for the NFL that they will hold it against him even though we know they did not do that the last 2 years. Grier does have things to work on for the NFL game and he made a sound move in doing this as he is one QB that can move up possibly. I don't think this person understands how much the NFL doesn't give a crap about this last minute mediocore bowl game. From a competitive standpoint all they have to do is pop on the UT game this year for WVa and it shows a kid that is a tough hard nosed leader and football player. Maybe I missed it, but this smith guy thinks he's a thug now like Chad Kelly, but I don't recall reading all that much about Grier getting into a ton of problems while in Morgantown. Was that the local buzz?
It was the opposite...he didn’t get in trouble and with a wife and kid he was more mature than the other players on the team.

It was the opposite...he didn’t get in trouble and with a wife and kid he was more mature than the other players on the team.
Oh wow, didn't realize that. That adds a whole new dynamic to be honest. He is really focused on making it for a good reason. I haven't seen many places projecting him to be a top 5 QB so hopefully this extra work pays off as you and I know the NFL will respect this move more than hold it against him.

Are you going to lose you mind and get banned like you did when Urban got exposed when Grier gets drafted ahead of Haskins?

What are you talking about? I don't care who goes first between the two although I hope neither goes to the Giants because I'm not convinced either is a franchise QB and I want Saquon to have a QB that can help him maximize his potential.

Nice family, wish him & family well.

Will Grier (left, with daughter Eloise and wife Jeanne) enjoys the balance he has in his life as a husband, father and WVU’s starting quarterback.
5b73568506f13.image.jpg

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT