ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

What does this have to do with Grier playing in a bowl game?
Ideally all top players start doing this
It has to do with supporting your teammates who have supported you. Not any real interest of the fans, but teammates have a right to be pissed, if they choose to be.

It is a team game. What your teammates think matters, or it doesn't. Up to you, but how they react is up to them.

It has to do with supporting your teammates who have supported you. Not any real interest of the fans, but teammates have a right to be pissed, if they choose to be.

It is a team game. What your teammates think matters, or it doesn't. Up to you, but how they react is up to them.

Teammates can be pissed if they want to but that would only mean they don't see the big picture. Grier shouldn't care for a second what they think. Just like McCaffrey didn't.

I never said it was so great....I’m one of the fans that want a playoff system. But the post was about how ESPN ruined the bowls and made them meaningless unlike the good ole days when they were so great. It can’t be both ways...either the bowls are what matter or a playoff is what matters....most fans prefer a playoff, so these same fans shouldn’t complain about the bowls being meaningless and players skipping them.

To b clear Because you seem to be taking the name "ESPN" literally, as in it was all ESPN. When I used "ESN" I was using it to mean "Network Television". As college football grew in popularity, the networks/TV (or the term I used "ESPN"). wanted in on the action. Again, to go back to when I was growing up there were like 5 football games on a Saturday... TOTAL. ABC would show a game at 12-noon and again at 3:30. I believe CBS would show a game at either 12 noon or 3:30.And then there might have been a late game on at night in a rare occasion. That was it. But back then college football was not as popular. As the sport grew, the networks (I used the phrase "ESPN") wanted to show more and more games. More and more bowls were created, not because they created a boom to the local economy. About 75% of these bowls do next to nothing for the local economy. Especially when you factor in costs involved. But what these extra games do is they sell advertising revenue. A bowl game between Nevada and Arkansas State probably loses money for the city of Tucson. But college football has grown in popularity enough that the Tucson Bowl will probably get a top 10 network rating in that time slot. ESPN / the networks can sell advertising revenue because they still can sell a top 10 rated show in a time slot.

Bottom line is that I can not blame a player one bit. A guy like Grier has a chance to be a late 1st / early 2nd round draft pick. Why risk that on some stupid injury in a meaningless game except to the TV execs who are selling ad dollars.

To b clear Because you seem to be taking the name "ESPN" literally, as in it was all ESPN. When I used "ESN" I was using it to mean "Network Television". As college football grew in popularity, the networks/TV (or the term I used "ESPN"). wanted in on the action. Again, to go back to when I was growing up there were like 5 football games on a Saturday... TOTAL. ABC would show a game at 12-noon and again at 3:30. I believe CBS would show a game at either 12 noon or 3:30.And then there might have been a late game on at night in a rare occasion. That was it. But back then college football was not as popular. As the sport grew, the networks (I used the phrase "ESPN") wanted to show more and more games. More and more bowls were created, not because they created a boom to the local economy. About 75% of these bowls do next to nothing for the local economy. Especially when you factor in costs involved. But what these extra games do is they sell advertising revenue. A bowl game between Nevada and Arkansas State probably loses money for the city of Tucson. But college football has grown in popularity enough that the Tucson Bowl will probably get a top 10 network rating in that time slot. ESPN / the networks can sell advertising revenue because they still can sell a top 10 rated show in a time slot.

Bottom line is that I can not blame a player one bit. A guy like Grier has a chance to be a late 1st / early 2nd round draft pick. Why risk that on some stupid injury in a meaningless game except to the TV execs who are selling ad dollars.
I agree with what you’re saying....and personally, I like what they’re doing. I would much rather have multiple games on instead of just a few. I like knowing PSU will be on every week.

Teammates can be pissed if they want to but that would only mean they don't see the big picture. Grier shouldn't care for a second what they think. Just like McCaffrey didn't.
Well, it is obvious he does not give a F what his teammates think, but of course he went through the pretense in his statement about what a "brotherhood" it is.

Well, it is obvious he does not give a F what his teammates think, but of course he went through the pretense in his statement about what a "brotherhood" it is.

And those that considered him a "brother" won't hold this against him

Lol. Unless you are one of them, I think it unlikely you would know. But The Gunsie way is to talk most loudly when you have no way of knowing.

And now I'm gunsie.
If you truly love someone like a "brother" you can going to respect their decisions when they are doing what they believe is best for their life. If you don't, then the brotherhood talk was just nonsense.

And now I'm gunsie.
If you truly love someone like a "brother" you can going to respect their decisions when they are doing what they believe is best for their life. If you don't, then the brotherhood talk was just nonsense.
If you love someone like a brother, you respect what they have done for you. And you dont make selfserving decisions at their expense while mouthing "brotherhood" talk.

And you dont speak like you do unless you're gunsie.

If you love someone like a brother, you respect what they have done for you. And you dont make selfserving decisions at their expense while mouthing "brotherhood" talk.

And you dont speak like you do unless you're gunsie.

How are his "brothers" being hurt by this? They still get to go to the bowl game, if they want, and get all the SWAG. Please stop pretending the bowl result matters unless you're in the playoff.

I can't wait until the bowl system is dead. Unfortunately I may have to live another 2 decades to see that.

Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of the system they created. It started back with the BCS. Now it's the NY6.

I am 53. I remember a time when getting to a bowl game ... ANY bowl game ... was a rewarding accomplishment. There was a time when bowls reps would actually "court" teams. I remember seeing Penn State games in the 70s and 80s and by early November the Beaver Stadium press box was jammed with guys in tacky bowl blazers trying to sell Penn St on their bowl.

Getting a bowl invitation was a big deal and when a school got a bowl invitation it was meaningful.

Now, we have a system of automatic tie-ins, where schools are guaranteed a spot in a bowl as long as they finish .500. It's become a system of entitlement instead of reward. Also, the BCS and now the NY6 have created a "class system". There are the BCS bowls "and all other bowls". There are the NY6 bowls "and all other bowls". When you get slotted into that "all other bowls" category, then basically you are being told your bowl is not as important.

This is the system that ESPN, the Networks and the so-called "power brokers" have created for us.

IMO, you can not blame a guy not playing in what is considered a meaningless game, for the risk of his NFL career.

Goes hand-in-hand (time frame and philosophically) with the "everybody gets a trophy" BS they schooled kids on. [Funny -- sorta -- aside... years ago my 8 year old nephew finds one of my baseball mvp trophies... kid's not impressed... has one just like it for showing up at practice. When I explained to him that things were different back in the day and a trophy actually meant you accomplished something... I got the WTF are you talking about look. A very sad/funny harbinger of the awful things to come.]

Once upon a time it meant something to be good, to be worthy, to really matter. No longer... and most certainly not in CFB. Meanwhile... trophies and high fives for everybody who showed up to PLAY A GAME!!:confused:

OK, I'm curious. All this talk about whether Grier should or shouldn;t play has revolved around money and injury etc.

One huge issue developed around Grier in his last 2 games (well, for one, he didn't win them, but he played well enough so let's skip that part). What he DID do against better competition was fumble the ball. In the big one, he did it twice and pretty much cost them the game.

So let's say he plays a motivated 'cuse team that kinda gets after the QB. What happens to his stock if he has a 3rd loss and fumbles it again when pressured? My guess is his stock drops.. probably a lot more than it goes up if he has a big game. My opinion might be all wrong, but I see Grier's choice as not taking any chances on getting exposed.

Personally, I wanted to see what he could do against a team not named the Wild Wild West that thrives on pressuring the QB. Guess we won't know how he plays against a real defense til he plays his first NFL game. Stay tuned.

Add on: I'm going to ratchet this up a notch... 'cuse knows he "SEEMS TO" have a fumble problem and they'd be going after him, zeroing in on that apparent weakness. One way to combat that impression is to play, carve the 'cuse secondary up, win big, don't turn it over. My guess is his advisors saw little upside to this when weighed against the risk of getting exposed 3 straight games.... this time against a middling 'cuse. Best to say it's all about getting injured and "prepared" (lmao at that crock; far better "prepared" by preparing to play real people...imo) rather than risk a bad outing. Again, just my opinion. Yours might vary :)

Last edited:
Reactions: demlion
Using that logic, all bowls outside playoff are pointless.

Actually, the Playoffs are now pointless the way the selection is rigged. They are a complete and total joke. When you exclude half the Country from having any chance of winning the National Championship two years in a row because of politics, the half of the country being discriminated against is going to put up their middle finger up and just say "fu(k you".

I don't even know why fans are interested now. I'll watch Penn State-Kentucky but it's like watching the Blue-White game. It doesn't mean anything. Might as well get some kids playing time for next year. The bowl system is antiquated and needs to be killed off

Yeah that’s not going to happen. But thanks for posting and we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Reactions: 81b&w
So you believe his injury prevented him from playing in a game in December. I mean whatever you want to believe.

The fact is, he never even tried.

Most understood he put the NFL above his team. And for the most part we are ok with that. Why try to get back for a game... maybe two, when you may be the #1 overall pick.

So back to your original point... waiting for someone to forgo the last game of the season to prepare for the NFL... Bosa.

Ldn

Anyone who thinks Bosa is going to be anywhere near the Number 1 overall pick is living in a fairyland. Injury or not, I have a hunch his draft stock has fallen.

JMO--there's an obligation to play the regular season and the playoff. There's no obligation to play an exhibition game.

I have no clue why a coach's bonus is relevant or why we think players need a reward for going 6-6 or even 9-3. Expand the playoffs and those worthy will continue to play in meaningful games.

I don't know why anyone spends money on bowl games. Especially a game like this year.
You’re way further down that spectrum than I am, but fair enough. Exhibitions can sometimes go wrong for the participants....

JMO--there's an obligation to play the regular season and the playoff. There's no obligation to play an exhibition game.

I have no clue why a coach's bonus is relevant or why we think players need a reward for going 6-6 or even 9-3. Expand the playoffs and those worthy will continue to play in meaningful games.

I don't know why anyone spends money on bowl games. Especially a game like this year.

Why is there an "obligation to play in the Playoff" and not the Bowl Games? So ESPN's SEC and ACC get their wins???? Beating Kentucky is a heck of a lot more important to OUR fans and OUR team than anything that happens in some fake, made up "Playoff".

Using the new 21st Century logic, Kyler Murray is beyond brain dead to risk injury in what is nothing more than a beauty contest that could jeopardize his baseball career.

OK, I'm curious. All this talk about whether Grier should or shouldn;t play has revolved around money and injury etc.

One huge issue developed around Grier in his last 2 games (well, for one, he didn't win them, but he played well enough so let's skip that part). What he DID do against better competition was fumble the ball. In the big one, he did it twice and pretty much cost them the game.

So let's say he plays a motivated 'cuse team that kinda gets after the QB. What happens to his stock if he has a 3rd loss and fumbles it again when pressured? My guess is his stock drops.. probably a lot more than it goes up if he has a big game. My opinion might be all wrong, but I see Grier's choice as not taking any chances on getting exposed.

Personally, I wanted to see what he could do against a team not named the Wild Wild West that thrives on pressuring the QB. Guess we won't know how he plays against a real defense til he plays his first NFL game. Stay tuned.

Add on: I'm going to ratchet this up a notch... 'cuse knows he "SEEMS TO" have a fumble problem and they'd be going after him, zeroing in on that apparent weakness. One way to combat that impression is to play, carve the 'cuse secondary up, win big, don't turn it over. My guess is his advisors saw little upside to this when weighed against the risk of getting exposed 3 straight games.... this time against a middling 'cuse. Best to say it's all about getting injured and "prepared" (lmao at that crock; far better "prepared" by preparing to play real people...imo) rather than risk a bad outing. Again, just my opinion. Yours might vary :)
I would hardly say he has a fumbling problem. He’s had 7 in his entire career and four of those came in two games. Most of his fumbles were on passes when his arm was starting to throw which a QB can’t really control. Sam Darnold had 14 fumbles in two years and it didn’t stop him from being drafted third.

I would hardly say he has a fumbling problem. He’s had 7 in his entire career and four of those came in two games. Most of his fumbles were on passes when his arm was starting to throw which a QB can’t really control. Sam Darnold had 14 fumbles in two years and it didn’t stop him from being drafted third.
Which two games? I know he fumbled twice with the entire season on the line vs. OU. What was the importance of the other game where he fumbled twice?

Which two games? I know he fumbled twice with the entire season on the line vs. OU. What was the importance of the other game where he fumbled twice?
I believe it was a game in his junior year and I also believe they ended up winning the game. It didn’t have the importance of the OU game, but none of their games since they lost to Pitt 13-9 have been that important. The point is he does not have a fumbling problem just because he had two fumbles against OU especially when one of them occurred when he was trying to pass the ball. It’s not like he drops the ball every 10 snaps or something and he’s not even close to the number of fumbles Darnold had and it didn’t stop him from getting drafted high.

Why is there an "obligation to play in the Playoff" and not the Bowl Games? So ESPN's SEC and ACC get their wins???? Beating Kentucky is a heck of a lot more important to OUR fans and OUR team than anything that happens in some fake, made up "Playoff".

Using the new 21st Century logic, Kyler Murray is beyond brain dead to risk injury in what is nothing more than a beauty contest that could jeopardize his baseball career.

Because those games actually have meaning unlike the bowl games. The opportunity to win a title still exists.

Why do you care if we beat Kentucky? Pride? Does winning or losing that game have any real impact?

If Murray was concerned about jeopardizing his MLB career he wouldn't have played at all.

The WV board is in melt down mode and many have turned on Grier. I can’t believe they’re getting this worked up about a crap bowl. I would have been just fine if Barkley had not played last year and that was at lead a NY6 bowl. I’m not sure they realize they wouldn’t even be in a bowl if not for Grier.
I'm glad that this board won't have a 400 post bitch thread during our meaningless bowl game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Why do you not care?

Because it's a meaningless bowl game. I'll watch but I don't care who wins. Just like the Blue-White game. I'm tired of people pretending exhibition games a month after the season ended still matter. There's 3 games left that matter. Bama-Oklahoma, Clemson-ND and the title game. I'll still watch bowl games because I like football but I don't care who wins them.

Because it's a meaningless bowl game. I'll watch but I don't care who wins. Just like the Blue-White game. I'm tired of people pretending exhibition games a month after the season ended still matter. There's 3 games left that matter. Bama-Oklahoma, Clemson-ND and the title game. I'll still watch bowl games because I like football but I don't care who wins them.

It's not your decision to determine what interests people. And whether you like them or not is immaterial. And whether you want them to be played or not is immaterial. And if it really is an issue for you - don't watch and don't comment on it.

It's meaningful to the kids and coaches - and they are the important components of this equation.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and WDLion

I agree that he should not have insulted his teammates or the WVU fanbase with the "brotherhood" bull-crap. That's an insult.
But on the other hand, how many of those pissed off teammates would do the exact same thing if they were pretty much a lock to be a late 1st / early 2nd round draft pick???

It's not your decision to determine what interests people. And whether you like them or not is immaterial. And whether you want them to be played or not is immaterial. And if it really is an issue for you - don't watch and don't comment on it.

It's meaningful to the kids and coaches - and they are the important components of this equation.

You can care about whatever you want to care about. Even games that truly have no meaning.

The kids get their SWAG, the coaches get another chance for a win but that doesn't mean we should pretend these game have meaning.

The thread is about Grier. Again, Grier had no obligation to play in the bowl game and he made the right decision. If his "brothers" can't comprehend that well that's on them and he'll find better people to "ride" with.

I believe it was a game in his junior year and I also believe they ended up winning the game. It didn’t have the importance of the OU game, but none of their games since they lost to Pitt 13-9 have been that important. The point is he does not have a fumbling problem just because he had two fumbles against OU especially when one of them occurred when he was trying to pass the ball. It’s not like he drops the ball every 10 snaps or something and he’s not even close to the number of fumbles Darnold had and it didn’t stop him from getting drafted high.

He has already been drafted? How's that?

To be fair, they are paid to participate in the Senior Bowl and the workouts/sessions during the week are important to draft status. The game itself not so much.
:cool: So, I guess we can count on Grier skipping the game so as not to get injured?

Because those games actually have meaning unlike the bowl games. The opportunity to win a title still exists.

Why do you care if we beat Kentucky? Pride? Does winning or losing that game have any real impact?

If Murray was concerned about jeopardizing his MLB career he wouldn't have played at all.

If I was suiting up knowing the QB I've been protecting all year or counting on all year to keep our defense in a controlling position was junking us to play in the Senior Bowl, you bet I'd be pi$$ed.

And if you don't think beating the crap out of some entitled SEC team means something, just come to this Board after the game if we lose.

By the way, your fake beauty queen "Playoff" doesn't mean sh!t. If it did, Notre Dame wouldn't be there.

In related news, defensive player of the year Josh Allen will play for Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl.

Who says those games matter?? A bunch of paid off ESPN hacks in some Board room??? You have to be kidding.

I would guess 90% of Penn State fans are exponentially more interested in who wins our game against Kentucky than who wins the ESPN SEC/ACC Intramurals.

Reactions: 81b&w
Grier apparently unafraid of Injury at the Senior Bowl.....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...arrett-stidham-join-reeses-senior-bowl-roster

Wow. Would be a shame if he got hurt while playing in (or practicing for) an utterly meaningless exhibition game.
OK, this (to me) is fd up. You blow off your team but choose to play in the senior bowl (where defense will be more wide open... kinda like the no-defense league he's been playing in). Going hard for the money! :)

I agree with you on this.. I just think eyes might have opened a bit in that the ball came out 3 times in 2 games that mattered and that is what he takes with him to the draft. And it sure would be fun to see him play against somebody who plays defense like it matters... not sure 'cuse is good enough defensively to cause that much distress, but they at least have an idea what defense is supposed to look like lol.

Anyway, fair point on comparison with Darnold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT