ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

I agree with you on this.. I just think eyes might have opened a bit in that the ball came out 3 times in 2 games that mattered and that is what he takes with him to the draft. And it sure would be fun to see him play against somebody who plays defense like it matters... not sure 'cuse is good enough defensively to cause that much distress, but they at least have an idea what defense is supposed to look like lol.

Anyway, fair point on comparison with Darnold.
Grier’s a stud and in my opinion he’s the best QB available in terms of NFL potential. He’s not a scrambler, but he’s a prototypical NFL QB and is the best passer in college football.

don't understand why people are upset with this. Grier is a sure fire first round draft pick. Last year the #1 pick got $30+ million, the last pick in the first round got $10 million. In what world would anybody on this board give advice to their son to jeopardize that type of money in any way, shape or form.

Think about it this way, if Proctor & Gamble or Wells Fargo or Apple or Exxon walked into your kids class and told him/her that they would give him a GUARANTEED $15 million dollars to sign with them next week, what would you say. You would say 'yes' go do it unless you were crazy.

don't understand why people are upset with this. Grier is a sure fire first round draft pick. Last year the #1 pick got $30+ million, the last pick in the first round got $10 million. In what world would anybody on this board give advice to their son to jeopardize that type of money in any way, shape or form.

Think about it this way, if Proctor & Gamble or Wells Fargo or Apple or Exxon walked into your kids class and told him/her that they would give him a GUARANTEED $15 million dollars to sign with them next week, what would you say. You would say 'yes' go do it unless you were crazy.
But fans are entitled.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
Grier’s a stud and in my opinion he’s the best QB available in terms of NFL potential. He’s not a scrambler, but he’s a prototypical NFL QB and is the best passer in college football.
He strikes me as a helluva passer... whether that will translate when he plays against better defenses will be determined, but he appears to have the tools.

You are 100% correct... to which I ask.. why play in the senior bowl and risk it all?

Reactions: demlion
If I was suiting up knowing the QB I've been protecting all year or counting on all year to keep our defense in a controlling position was junking us to play in the Senior Bowl, you bet I'd be pi$$ed.

And if you don't think beating the crap out of some entitled SEC team means something, just come to this Board after the game if we lose.

By the way, your fake beauty queen "Playoff" doesn't mean sh!t. If it did, Notre Dame wouldn't be there.

Why would you be pissed? You've known all year that his biggest priority was the next level. Without him you aren't even going to a bowl game. Enjoy the SWAG he got you and help prepare the QB for next year.

No, the #3 Big Ten team beating the #5 SEC team doesn't mean anything. It will be dismissed for that exact reason by the SEC fans. If our fans are excited about beating Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl expectations are way too low.

The playoff is a joke but those are the only games that have meaning,

Who says those games matter?? A bunch of paid off ESPN hacks in some Board room??? You have to be kidding.

I would guess 90% of Penn State fans are exponentially more interested in who wins our game against Kentucky than who wins the ESPN SEC/ACC Intramurals.

Those games matter simply because the winner of those games in the national champ. The playoff system sucks but that's reality.

Only because a lot of our fans are truly college football fans. They just root for Penn State and hate the rest of FBS. Or at least the majority of FBS. This is the same fan base that doesn't understand that Ohio State being left out the past two seasons isn't good for us moving forward.

Saquon and Leighton Vander Esch clearly made the wrong move in playing in their team's bowl games last year. I'm sure they wish they had that decision back. Rookie of the year is nice and all, but imagine how good they would have been if they didn't play in that bowl game!

If I was drafting a player, not playing in the bowl game would be a huge red flag. Screams me-first guy. No thanks.

And the guy always sited as the poster boy for why to skip your team's bowl game - Jaylon Smith - he seems to be doing ok for himself too. Having an incredible year.

You are 100% correct... to which I ask.. why play in the senior bowl and risk it all?

i doubt he will actually play in the game. just go down for the week, do the interviews, do the practice combine stuff for the scouts and GM's. I bet dollar to donuts you don't see him play in the actual game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Anison
Those games matter simply because the winner of those games in the national champ. The playoff system sucks but that's reality.

Only because a lot of our fans are truly college football fans. They just root for Penn State and hate the rest of FBS. Or at least the majority of FBS. This is the same fan base that doesn't understand that Ohio State being left out the past two seasons isn't good for us moving forward.

Well, you are right about Ohio State and how it relates to us. That's why I'm not going to waste one ounce of my time watching that crooked trash.

If Notre Dame is going to be receiving a 100%, or full share of ESPN's new ACC linear Network, they should be playing Clemson in the ACC Championship Game where one of those two teams would have a loss. Instead, Notre Dame gets to sit on their collective couches eating popcorn while ESPN gets to promote Notre Dame as part of their new Network. Hence, taking the spot of a FAR more deserving team.

Some day that team COULD be us. This year, there's absolutely no question that it's Ohio State. To me (and a lot of other fans), this joke of a "Playoff" means jack squat.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Saquon and Leighton Vander Esch clearly made the wrong move in playing in their team's bowl games last year. I'm sure they wish they had that decision back. Rookie of the year is nice and all, but imagine how good they would have been if they didn't play in that bowl game!

If I was drafting a player, not playing in the bowl game would be a huge red flag. Screams me-first guy. No thanks.

And the guy always sited as the poster boy for why to skip your team's bowl game - Jaylon Smith - he seems to be doing ok for himself too. Having an incredible year.
So you would risk millions of dollars to play in one meaningless game? I doubt it.

For those advocating for these kids to sit out these "meaningless bowl games", which games are meaningless, and which games have meaning? Honest question.

So you would risk millions of dollars to play in one meaningless game? I doubt it.
But Grier would. There is nothing more meaningless than the Senior Bowl, especially since it is the workouts that count, not the game.

See Illi, it's THAT attitude that's keeping you out of the NFL. Well, that, your advancing age, your lack of speed and strength, ...

Damn it Woody.....I always thought my in-house Sony Betamax video incompatibility was the deciding factor in holding me back!

But Grier would. There is nothing more meaningless than the Senior Bowl, especially since it is the workouts that count, not the game.
It isn’t reasonable or accurate to equate playing a series or two in a glorified controlled scrimmage (defense isn’t allowed to rush five, etc) with playing in a competitive game. Nor is it reasonable to ignore the importance of participating in the senior bowl workout and film room activities during the week to one’s draft evaluation.

It isn’t reasonable or accurate to equate playing a series or two in a glorified controlled scrimmage (defense isn’t allowed to rush five, etc) with playing in a competitive game. Nor is it reasonable to ignore the importance of participating in the senior bowl workout and film room activities during the week to one’s draft evaluation.
Ok, but he could get hurt doing any of that. For his teammates, it could seem like the risks they took for him are not ones he would take for them. Maybe none of his teammates are offended, or maybe some are and think, "I would be out of line to say anything." It is certainly not up to me, nor am I entitled to be offended. But his teammates might be a different story.

Why do fans always think the bowl game is about them? It isn't. It's about the players. For well over 90% of football players it's their last game they'll ever play. They want to play these bowl games.

Ok, but he could get hurt doing any of that. For his teammates, it could seem like the risks they took for him are not ones he would take for them. Maybe none of his teammates are offended, or maybe some are and think, "I would be out of line to say anything." It is certainly not up to me, nor am I entitled to be offended. But his teammates might be a different story.
Not my decision either, but the two - playing in a third tier bowl game* or trying out for NFL evaluators - are not the same and the fore the risk-reward profile is not the same from a purely Draft-status perspective.

* just to be clear that isn’t a knock on Penn State. It’s a knock on the bowl system in the CFP era. I’ve said the same thing about UM playing in a NY6 bowl relative to Gary deciding to skip it.

Well IMHO he joined a TEAM. him not playing flies in the face of team. Now, he's a mercenary who fled UF to play at WVU. So they knew what they were getting. Reminds me of kids that verbally commit then change their minds. You are part of a team or you are not; fulfill your obligations.

So, you wouldn't have drafted McCaffrey? That would have been a huge mistake. Trust me, if Saquon would have skipped the bowl game the Giants still would have taken him at #2. If either Saquon or VanderEsch were injured in that bowl game I'm sure they'd regret it.

Jake Butt has always said that other players shouldn't be afraid to play in the bowl game after what happened to him but he's the exact reason why guys shouldn't play in these games. He would have been a day 2 pick and fell to the 5th round. He's never been the same since.

Playing in a bowl game is a risk. Is it worth the reward? To each their own on that.

He’s also not going to have guys trying to rip his head off in the senior bowl. If Syracuse would agree not to hit him too hard I’m sure he would play.

He’s also not going to have guys trying to rip his head off in the senior bowl. If Syracuse would agree not to hit him too hard I’m sure he would play.
Right because those guys playing DL aren't trying to impress pro scouts. Got it.

Why do fans always think the bowl game is about them? It isn't. It's about the players. For well over 90% of football players it's their last game they'll ever play. They want to play these bowl games.
Yep. Very few are in the position to skip it, but I get it for those that choose to. I admire the ones that still play knowing there is a chance they could get hurt. I just hate the pompous fans who think these young men owe people in the stands something. They don’t, they earned the ships and most had 10+ schools to choose from. If they worked hard enough and had the talent to secure a high draft position, they need to do what they feel is best for themselves. Some will play, some won’t.

Truthfully, I think playing in the Senior Bowl is as dumb as playing in any bowl game so I don't understand that decision.

Why don't you just watch the final four, as they are the teams that "matter" in your World and just skip all this? If the Penn State bowl game means absolutely nothing to you, why are you even here?

Why don't you just watch the final four, as they are the teams that "matter" in your World and just skip all this? If the Penn State bowl game means absolutely nothing to you, why are you even here?

We're playing in a meaningless bowl game because of our failures. I'll still watch the Citrus and a bunch of other meaningless bowl games because I love football. I'm not going to pretend Penn State-Kentucky has any meaning. 10-3 or 9-4 this was still a disappointing season in which we lost 2 home games and got blown out by Michigan. A season in which the "talk" that Franklin is owned by Meyer, Harbaugh and D'Antonio was only strengthened. Thankfully, Meyer is walking away.

I'm in this thread to discuss Grier which has absolutely nothing to do with us or our meaningless bowl game. The "Final 4" are all that "matter" in "THE" world not "MY" world. It's "your" world that is giving meaning to Penn State-Kentucky. Seriously, I don't even believe you or anyone else claiming that you think Penn State-Kentucky matters. It's like saying WVU-Syracuse or Pitt-Stanford matters. It doesn't. You only care because your an alumni (or fan or both) of Penn State not because the game actually has meaning.

We're playing in a meaningless bowl game because of our failures. I'll still watch the Citrus and a bunch of other meaningless bowl games because I love football. I'm not going to pretend Penn State-Kentucky has any meaning. 10-3 or 9-4 this was still a disappointing season in which we lost 2 home games and got blown out by Michigan. A season in which the "talk" that Franklin is owned by Meyer, Harbaugh and D'Antonio was only strengthened. Thankfully, Meyer is walking away.

I'm in this thread to discuss Grier which has absolutely nothing to do with us or our meaningless bowl game. The "Final 4" are all that "matter" in "THE" world not "MY" world. It's "your" world that is giving meaning to Penn State-Kentucky. Seriously, I don't even believe you or anyone else claiming that you think Penn State-Kentucky matters. It's like saying WVU-Syracuse or Pitt-Stanford matters. It doesn't. You only care because your an alumni (or fan or both) of Penn State not because the game actually has meaning.

And EVERY game has meaning to people, just different groups of people, just not to you. And you have no meaning to these groups of people, so it all balances out.

Tell me the "meaning" behind a win or loss in the Citrus...

Ok, what’s the “meaning” behind a win or loss in ANY football game? EVER? Pro, college, high school, pee-wee?

“Meaning” means I care, I have an interest in the outcome. Apparently you don’t. That’s fine with me.

Matters for what? It matters to the players, coaches, the school and the fans (besides you). Do you realize how stupid you come off making statements like this? Yea, we all know we're not playing for the national championship, most of us knew that before the season started, is that all that matters to you? A know it all that knows nothing

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Tell me the "meaning" behind a win or loss in the Citrus...

How many people upset by kids skipping a bowl game had the opportunity walking out of college for 15-20 million dollars if not more? Very few. Barkley and Cook at FSU both stuck around and played in their bowl games, but so did Jake Butt and he got hurt. It's the kids choice and with no playoff or title on the line I can see why some will skip the bowl games. They are focused on their career which I can respect. I don't think McCafferty took a month off to drink it up and party, he went right to work. The NFL understands this move and I guarantee you Carolina fans aren't booing their RB because he missed the Sun Bowl. Like it or not college football at the 1a level is a tryout for the NFL at most P5 schools. The players, NFL, and the schools all benefit from this current arrangement. Some more than others, but a select few each year won't be in the playoff and will have this decision to make. I'm not sure why people cannot respect the decision both ways.

Reactions: Anison
Well IMHO he joined a TEAM. him not playing flies in the face of team. Now, he's a mercenary who fled UF to play at WVU. So they knew what they were getting. Reminds me of kids that verbally commit then change their minds. You are part of a team or you are not; fulfill your obligations.

If there is a 1% chance that somebody doesn't write me a $20 million dollar check, then I don't care and I am sure that most of his team is on board with it also. You don't screw around when talking that kind of money just because of some 'moral' obligation to your teammates in playing a game. That just doesn't make any sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT