ADVERTISEMENT

Discussion of Playoff teams and Bowl Match-Ups

I realize that people keep talking about 3 spots reserved for Alabama, Clemson and OSU but another playoff constant - although not this year - is Oklahoma. That team is playing as well as anybody in the country and is the Big 12 champ. Those 2 early losses are a killer for them, however, but I believe they still finish 6th right behind A&M.

Your whole post is about picking who are the “best” teams, which is all about the eye test.
He wrote that the results of all games should count. If you label that with the catchphrase “eye test”, that is your problem.
If you don’t win your conference, you shouldn’t make it....looking beyond that is completely about the eye test.
Forcing equal benefits/rewards regardless of success is a bad idea, and far from anything

My eyes saw actual results on the field showed me the Big 12’s regular season first place team wasn’t as good as the Sun Belt’s 2nd place (and 2nd best) team. They lost another game also. “Eye test” says they should not receive equal benefits of Bama.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
He wrote that the results of all games should count. If you label that with the catchphrase “eye test”, that is your problem.

Forcing equal benefits/rewards regardless of success is a bad idea, and far from anything

My eyes saw actual results on the field showed me the Big 12’s regular season first place team wasn’t as good as the Sun Belt’s 2nd place (and 2nd best) team. They lost another game also. “Eye test” says they should not receive equal benefits of Bama.
But what differentiates one team’s schedule from another’s? The eye test. Teams should have to earn their way into the playoffs by winning their conference...that takes the eye test out of it.

bowl selectors just like everyone realize that they can do whatever they want and no matter who bitches nobody can or will do anything about it
But I think with the same teams every year, the ratings have to start dropping. IMHO, they'll be forced into a larger playoff number - maybe 8 teams in the very near future ?

But I think with the same teams every year, the ratings have to start dropping. IMHO, they'll be forced into a larger playoff number - maybe 8 teams in the very near future ?

That’s pretty much what Urban Meyer said. He thinks they need to expand the playoffs because otherwise it presents an unfair recruiting advantage to the teams that keep making the playoffs.

The best players want to be in the playoffs and so the best players will continue to go to the same few schools that keep making the playoffs. And these schools keep making the playoffs because they keep getting the best players...because the best players want to play in the playoffs.

In sum his point was that football was stuck in this boring pattern that will ultimately hurt the game/ratings.

Last edited:
We can all still be bitter about how PSU lost in week 1 to IU, but any way you cut it, they just got a major screw job by the CFP. They absolutely deserved a NY6 bowl. Big 10 brass has invested all their energy schilling for their darling and working to change COVID protocols, and abandoned the best interests of the balance of the conference.

Yet 3-loss Florida stays at #7 and gets a NY6 bowl. I guess their LSU loss wasn’t considered.

Thanks to Warren and company for setting the Big Ten up for success.
Don’t forget, Florida had a moral victory against Bama and moral victories count in the SEC.

The college football playoff committee can suck it.

Goes to show that you can get blown out in your proforma conference championship and still make the playoff. Insane!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SR108 and TheGLOV
We can all still be bitter about how PSU lost in week 1 to IU, but any way you cut it, they just got a major screw job by the CFP. They absolutely deserved a NY6 bowl. Big 10 brass has invested all their energy schilling for their darling and working to change COVID protocols, and abandoned the best interests of the balance of the conference.
Well, not really as despite CJF’s grade school clock management, the QB was short on the 2 point conversion. It was confirmed by replay and overruled by the Big10 league office (consistent with a long litany day of joke calls we have been subjected to since 1993 - even after Joe forced CF to add replay). Indiana is middling at best.

It is fun reading the IU message board. Yesterday they were discussing which NY6 game they were going to be in and what team they are going to be playing. Today there is much anger for being passed over in favor of a 3 loss team. Now they are learning how much support teams not named buckeyes or wolverines get from the B10. Also learned how much respect the B10 now commands from the CFB community after this year’s shenanigans.

It is fun reading the IU message board. Yesterday they were discussing which NY6 game they were going to be in and what team they are going to be playing. Today there is much anger for being passed over in favor of a 3 loss team. Now they are learning how much support teams not named buckeyes or wolverines get from the B10. Also learned how much respect the B10 now commands from the CFB community after this year’s shenanigans.
Yeah...they are slower on the uptake then some of the Big10 fan boys and enablers on this Board.

Interesting. I thought that if your first place team goes to the CFP, the other NY6 bowls have to take another team to replace them.

I think it is the specific bowl. The Rose is a semi this year, but if it were not and the Big Ten champ went to the playoffs, I believe they would have to replace with another Big Ten team.

Don't watch. Same teams every year whether they play a half season, get blown out in their last game, etc. No one wants to watch Clemson curb stomp Ohio St every year and Alabama curb stomp Notre Dame just to get Alabama/Clemson V - thousand. It's boring and people ought to let the committee know that. I won't watch. It's the only way that it changes.

Last edited:
WE all knew that was the 4 getting in, had ND not beaten Clemson earlier in the yr, they probably take one loss A&M over ND then, OU was never getting in, the Big 12 was awful this season

Reactions: TheGLOV
I assume that Ohio State was the only wild card yesterday as far as potentially causing the committee an issue. If Bama loses to Florida you still figure BAMA is in, if Clemson lost again to ND you would figure a 2 loss Clemson is in with both loses coming to ND and one of those being without Lawrence. If ND loss , as they did, they are in with that being their first loss. Honestly I think Florida beats Ohio State and ND in a neutral field match-up. Regardless the system is what it is and its not going to change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT