ADVERTISEMENT

What happens when star players on college football playoff teams start sitting out the postseason?

Wrong,
Fans expect the full roster that got the team to the.......
Whatever event it is you're proposing.
They can do what they deem best, and I support that but as a fan I won't by a ticket to a bowl game where several starters are opting out because the quality of play is reduced as in the Arkansas debacle game

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
I'm not 100% on the legal intricacies of how this managed today, but the NCAA is chartered by the member institutions to police "competition issues" on behalf of the membership. I believe the NCAA could have a reg that allows players to be paid a "reasonable market amount for NIL services provided" by organizations/individuals, but prohibit NIL collectives and boosters from stroking checks for a commitment letter.
For example, if a car dealer paid a player to sign autographs at the dealership for 4 hours, there is a "reasonable" market value of that marketing activity, say $5-10K, to pick a number. If the player receives $300K for that, it is obviously not a legit NIL activity and is a pay-for-play booster payment that creates a "competition issue," that the NCAA exists to prevent.
And before anyone says that you can't "assess" or police market value, I'd point out that the Federal government does this all the time when evaluating contract proposals from companies. Without getting too far in the weeds, there are cases where companies can bid below market value on things, knowing they will never have to honor those prices. When the Fed Govt evaluates a bid as such, they can assess it as "being outside the competitive range" and disqualify it. Point is, it is not that hard to determine whether an organization made a payment believing they would receive a return for their investment. It's never been an issue for a CFB to have a job, but it's always been an issue for a player to have a "no-show" job.
So...if Bryce Young gets a $1M contract to appear in a national ad campaign for Dr Pepper, it's discernible to say that Dr Pepper believed the campaign would sell more soda. If an NIL collective/or a Tuscaloosa car dealer pays Bryce Young $1M with no activity obligations or only minor obligations that could never reasonably justify the $$, it's not hard to discern that it would run afoul of the policy.
This is a great post. The spirit of NIL was immediately violated. If the schools want to just pay players, fine go for it. I don’t think anyone has an issue with players being compensated for endorsements/public appearances/speaking engagements (the legitimate aspects of NIL). The NIL collectives that exist on the periphery to pay players through a loophole has no oversight and is just a terrible compromise. I hate it, and seems many coaches and school leaders hate it.

Getting a few million a year in some cases to play college football, sometimes poorly, is just a horrible investment for all but the craziest boosters. I wonder how long these collectives can continue to convince big shots to donate when the players being paid are sometimes total chumps, and their school continues to finish 7-5 and 8th in the conference each year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT