ADVERTISEMENT

Dean from Cornell to PSU ?????

I hear it's official. Says he wants to win a national championship and thinks PSU is the best place for that to happen for him. Gabe agreed. Max getting a little money too.

Last edited:
What exactly does this mean. Psu voodoo doll? You do know his dad was the coach here right?

As a national runnerup/2 time AA, does he have only 2 years left? The Ivies cancelled last season, so depending on the NCAA rules, maybe he has 3?

Does Beard still have 4 years left given folks have said this is a free year per the NCAA?

As a national runnerup/2 time AA, does he have only 2 years left? The Ivies cancelled last season, so depending on the NCAA rules, maybe he has 3?

Does Beard still have 4 years left given folks have said this is a free year per the NCAA?
Beard has 4 years left because last year was year one and didn’t count.

Dean has two years left, he had his two previous years then this year counts as 0 years, it doesn’t give a year back.

Reactions: sjw5065
Right but wasn't he supposed to be the coach here before Cael swooped in? I thought there was at least a little bad blood somewhere in there. I'm not an insider, its just based on what I read.
He was, but the real issue was Koll as coaches association president ramming thru a National Duals vote while the primary opponents (Cael and Brands) were at the London Olympics.

That's perhaps not an ideal way to develop a trusting relationship.

Whatever bad blood remains, wasn't enough to keep Dake, the Deans, etc., from participating in NLWC events.

What does this mean for Beard? Even before this, people were trying to squeeze him out of the lineup.

He was, but the real issue was Koll as coaches association president ramming thru a National Duals vote while the primary opponents (Cael and Brands) were at the London Olympics.

That's perhaps not an ideal way to develop a trusting relationship.

Whatever bad blood remains, wasn't enough to keep Dake, the Deans, etc., from participating in NLWC events.
The PSU room has had an open door policy towards kids since PSU wrestling and Cael became synonymous. Snyder, Gwiz and Carr are a few who come to mind. Just a guess, but if Koll was going to spend the summer in Happy Valley I doubt Cael's basement would have a "welcome Rob" hanging on the doorknob.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Is this where the seed was planted, if this rumor is true?

“Dabe Gean” – What’s Going On?

Nov 21, 2020

How did the match with David Taylor come about?

Gabe Dean: I got a text from [Penn State head coach] Cael Sanderson one night asking if I was interested. I negotiated a price and said yes. In turn, he’s gonna send some Penn State wrestlers to the card we’re working on for the Spartan Combat RTC. It became a win-win for both parties.

It’s not a big secret that Cornell and Penn State have not had a close relationship in the past decade or so. Do you sense that changing?

Gabe Dean: I think so. Cael and I have had some pretty funny exchanges. I always wanted to start a relationship with him and I think this opened the door for Cornell and Penn State again. We’re hoping to continue to work together to build the sport. Penn State isn’t that far away from Ithaca and we can really do some great things together.

Is there a better source than Mineo for this news? I don't see anything anywhere else and people are talking about it like it's already happened. Mineo could be right, but he's just as often wrong.
Or Dean could be headed to Iowa State.

#SchonToRutgers

I thought it was a leftover hobble from the ankle nipping the little dog from Iowa did.
Or maybe the B10 infection made its way down his leg.

Komodo-1024x576.jpg

I’m a fan of coach Koll even if he and Cael don’t always see eye to eye. He’s a fantastic coach and I for one appreciate the fact he doesn’t mince words. He’s a strong personality who has the interests of his program and wrestlers at heart. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
As someone said on this board before ... Cael has his hammers pick where they are comfortable going weight wise (whether they don't want to make a large cut or be too undersized) and everyone else has to figure out the spots.

So how does the lineup work? Pretty simple, if Aaron wants 184 still (we don't know one way or another), then Max/Michael wrestle for 197. If Aaron wants 197 then Michael is out of luck tbh.

Reactions: tabenn
As someone said on this board before ... Cael has his hammers pick where they are comfortable going weight wise (whether they don't want to make a large cut or be too undersized) and everyone else has to figure out the spots.

So how does the lineup work? Pretty simple, if Aaron wants 184 still (we don't know one way or another), then Max/Michael wrestle for 197. If Aaron wants 197 then Michael is out of luck tbh.
I’d love to see AB go up and kick Ferrari’s teeth in. It could be billed “the battle of the infectious smiles”
but doubt he makes that leap.

Honestly - Max could very well just want an all or nothing approach. Maybe he is confident he can beat Aaron even, why wouldn't he be? He was a Finalist 2 years ago. If he loses the spot and sits then he knows he wasn't going to be a National Champion this year and he's at peace with it. It's not like he needs to get on the podium or hasn't wrestled a postseason ever.

If he is PSU's 184 with Cael coaching him, then he is a national contender simply put. Maybe he's confident about his abilities to adjust and win 197. Once again, why wouldn't he be? Cassar said it best, he wanted to be a National Champion and that coincides with being the best guy in a room. He wants to win the spot at PSU and have the coaching that goes with it.

149 is open, wait, Nick Lee is moving up, or Carter is sucking down or yet to named transfer........or
It is only April:cool:

Did AB red shirt yet?
Nope - our starters from last year with a RS still:
Howard
RBY
N Lee
Bartlett
AB
Kerkvliet (I believe he used his ORS to cover his freshman year)

I'm not sure if Max Dean would have a RS (Ivy League is interesting with their rules)

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
The answer with Dean is: it depends.

He wrestled 30 matches for FLWC in 2017. If he did not enroll, then that's a grayshirt year and he would still have his redshirt.

Typically FLWC means not enrolled at Cornell but possibly taking credits at the local community college. That's where it gets fuzzy for NCAA eligibility, and I'm not smart enough to unpack that.

Reactions: RobBliz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT