ADVERTISEMENT

Dean from Cornell to PSU ?????

Tried to tell jefe beard would never wrestle out his eligibility at psu. Lol just didn’t think it’d be this fast. Dean may have a rude awakening tho. 197 is stacked and Foca just beat him at 86kg I think? This is one I’ll have to see to believe. Now gotta go check out the reaction on hr lol.

Tried to tell jefe beard would never wrestle out his eligibility at psu. Lol just didn’t think it’d be this fast. Dean may have a rude awakening tho. 197 is stacked and Foca just beat him at 86kg I think? This is one I’ll have to see to believe. Now gotta go check out the reaction on hr lol.
Lots of laughs rolled into this gem...

^^ When shoveling dirt on Beard isn't enough and one must resort to Mineo's manure.

Previously unssen footage of Stand With Pride ragdolling his wife:

f3dc8c1f5bdd4ebe5b77ee5615257443.gif
The guy on the bottom kind of looks like Tom Brands. I think that's about what would happen if he ever wrestled Cael.

Poster alb409 on 247 seems to confirm (with a photo of Jimmy Dean lol) that Max is coming. He also shared the following about Shane Griffith (1st paragraph) and NLWC (2nd paragraph)

"Would not hold my breath. He will be wrestling Carter in the Finals next year IMO.

Also, there is some possible movement coming in the NLWC that could be interesting. Big names moving on, bigger names coming in. Not saying it is happening, dominos would need to fall but there are options on the table."

Is he legit? Doesn't seem like a troll. TIFWIW

Poster alb409 on 247 seems to confirm (with a photo of Jimmy Dean lol) that Max is coming. He also shared the following about Shane Griffith (1st paragraph) and NLWC (2nd paragraph)

"Would not hold my breath. He will be wrestling Carter in the Finals next year IMO.

Also, there is some possible movement coming in the NLWC that could be interesting. Big names moving on, bigger names coming in. Not saying it is happening, dominos would need to fall but there are options on the table."

Is he legit? Doesn't seem like a troll. TIFWIW
Skeptical of anyone who posts there but not here having special insight. That board has fewer posts at any time than 34 And Stalling has in the offseason.

Not saying he's a troll -- also not saying he said anything noteworthy.

His Griffith quote above is speculation. NLWC likely will see some departures -- wrestlers retire after the Olympics in every cycle, and some may also go MMA. Plus would anyone be surprised to see Cael add talent?

Reactions: diggerpup
Skeptical of anyone who posts there but not here having special insight. That board has fewer posts at any time than 34 And Stalling has in the offseason.

His Griffith quote above is speculation. NLWC likely will see some departures -- wrestlers retire after the Olympics in every cycle, and some may also go MMA. Plus would anyone be surprised to see Cael add talent?
FYI - the 247 wrestling board is a ghost town, but there has a fairly large amount of wrestling posts on their Lions Pride board which historically has been more FB oriented. Not sayin that poster is the real deal, just wouldn’t dismiss the whole board out of hand.

NLWC is growing and expanding... new facility? MMA talent, too? Just refer to it as the NLWC, LLC. Other facilities popping up. Happy Valley will be Wrestling Central very soon if it isn't already.

FYI - the 247 wrestling board is a ghost town, but there has a fairly large amount of wrestling posts on their Lions Pride board which historically has been more FB oriented. Not sayin that poster is the real deal, just wouldn’t dismiss the whole board out of hand.
Umm ... the post cited earlier was in the only wrestling-related Lions Pride thread started in the last 2 weeks.

Regardless: the point remains, that post on Lions Pride didn't say anything particularly insightful.

So, when Rob Koll said that Max is leaving because he was concerned that the Ivy League would cancel the season next year, one of them was lying?
Maybe. Max said he wanted to go where he could be the best wrestler he could possibly be. He is willing to earn a spot and not have anything promised to him.

Umm ... the post cited earlier was in the only wrestling-related Lions Pride thread started in the last 2 weeks.

Regardless: the point remains, that post on Lions Pride didn't say anything particularly insightful.
100% agree the wrestling discussions on 247 are very limited. I spend way more time on this board despite the fact I pay for that board. That being said, it's definitely possible with the vast amount of posters on that board, there could be in a plugged in person or two who just opts not to come here. I agree though, I think message board rumors should be taken with a grain of salt in general. We've seen some very wild ones and it's always easy to backtrack when something is wrong and say "something changed" or "got bad information" But hey, it's the offseason! Lmao.

I remain skeptical of both the potential for, and the motives of, Dean to PSU despite the pleathora of sources.

If true, there must be more to the story that has not been revealed, such as:

1) It has been decided Brooks will take a RS - I think this is highly unlikely
2) Something is up (in a negative sense) with Beard.

I don't want to start negative rumors with zero information, but my spider sense says #2 holds more water than #1.

I don't see Dean, with his resume and potential for next year, leaving an awesome institution with a fantastic program and coach, to come to PSU where no need exists, and passing up other to programs, simply compete for a spot one weight up against a stud.

Sure Brooks could shirt but that hurts the team and what's the benefit for Aaron as a National champ to shirt? Nothing.

Reactions: baccafarmer
I remain skeptical of both the potential for, and the motives of, Dean to PSU despite the pleathora of sources.

I don't want to start negative rumors with zero information, but my spider sense says #2 holds more water than #1.

I don't see Dean, with his resume and potential for next year, leaving an awesome institution with a fantastic program and coach, to come to PSU where no need exists, and passing up other to programs, simply compete for a spot one weight up against a stud.

Sure Brooks could shirt but that hurts the team and what's the benefit for Aaron as a National champ to shirt? Nothing.
Max Dean thinks he can be the champ at either 184 or 197 (which would coincide with winning the spot here so being on the bench is not some worry) with Cael's coaching. That's all there is to it to me.

Reactions: searay26
100% agree the wrestling discussions on 247 are very limited. I spend way more time on this board despite the fact I pay for that board. That being said, it's definitely possible with the vast amount of posters on that board, there could be in a plugged in person or two who just opts not to come here. I agree though, I think message board rumors should be taken with a grain of salt in general. We've seen some very wild ones and it's always easy to backtrack when something is wrong and say "something changed" or "got bad information" But hey, it's the offseason! Lmao.
Thanks! That was the point of my original post, but you said it more eloquently.

Max Dean thinks he can be the champ at either 184 or 197 (which would coincide with winning the spot here so being on the bench is not some worry) with Cael's coaching. That's all there is to it to me.

Cael wouldn't take him for 184. Makes no sense.

You are literally planting the seed and watering it with zero information. So either you do want to do that or you just can't help yourself.

Why are you railing against a possible addition of a great wrestler to PSU? You do realize that once a wrestler transfers to penn state that he becomes a penn state wrestler, correct?

I good with taking my lumps, and seeing how it plays out. Nothing I said was irresponsible, or even that provacative if you give it another read. I just don't happen to be aligned with the herd mentality on this one.

Reactions: danoftw

Except that Cael has made it clear that he’ll do what’s best for the wrestler over what’s best for the team 100% of the time. If AB wants to shirt, and has a decent enough reason, I’d bet my house Cael would be for it.

Except that Cael has made it clear that he’ll do what’s best for the wrestler over what’s best for the team 100% of the time. If AB wants to shirt, and has a decent enough reason, I’d bet my house Cael would be for it.
It's not about making sure that someone gets a spot, it's about having the best wrestlers possible and then those who win the spots, deserve them.

You are literally planting the seed and watering it with zero information. So either you do want to do that or you just can't help yourself.
Why does anything have to be up with Beard? He is a returning All American and an excellent wrestler who will either start again this season, or be a great backup in case someone gets hurt, and if Dean doesn't come in, then this conversation will be moot.

And if Dean comes Beard can just beat him and keep wrestling.
Yes, that is also a fact...I'm unclear about how this whole notion came to exist about how once a transfer comes in, the incumbent should be massively offended and automatically concede the spot.

Honestly Max hasn't looked great recently (even though it's free) and it's possible similar to Snyder, he thinks the best way out of a funk (though Snyder's definition of a funk is world bronze lol) is to learn from Cael and drill with elite talents PSU has in the room daily to recapture his peak again and maybe even hit a new level. Keep in mind when Max made the Finals, he almost lost to Cash Wilcke in Round 2 so he wasn't a PSU level hammer yet.

@smalls103 posted yesterday that Cael at PSU has a record of 43-6 in the Semis. I think Max sees that and watches how Cael's middle to upper weights wrestle and thinks I can be that.

I don't know that anything has to be up with Beard for this move to make sense for Dean and PSU. Yes, Beard finishing 7th and being an AA as a Freshman eligible was a good accomplishment. But, lets look at his tournament run.

Here is who he wrestled in the tournament:

Tournament seed, Name, Pre-tournament Record, Final Pre-tournament Coaches' Ranking, Result

18, Jacob Koser, 7-5, 20, W
31, Owen Pentz, 9-6, 32, W
26, Jake Woodley, 12-10, 16, L
13, Tanner Sloan, 17-4, 13, W
7, Rocky Elam, 17-2, 11, L
8, Stephen Buchanan, 14-6, 9, W

If I am Max Dean, 5 years out of high school and a two time AA at 184, I see Beard as a wrestler that I can beat out for a starting spot for a team that is in the hunt for an NCAA title, even jumping up a weight class.

If I am Cael Sanderson, I see Max Dean as a potential roster upgrade, even replacing another AA wrestler, for two reasons. First, things broke fairly well for Beard at the NCAA tournament and that finish may be tough to replicate for him in a tournament where the top seeds hold. Second, Beard's gas tank issues are still there after 3 years out of high school and after 2 years in the PSU room.

I for one hope Dean makes the move, no one at PSU is promised the spot, and the best man earns it on the mat.

I don't really want Dean here, nothing personal ,I would rather stick with the guy we recruited and has been in the program. Not sure why so many people assume that Dean would be an upgrade over Beard? I only like bringing outsiders into the program if it is going to be a major upgrade, and in my opinion it would not be a major upgrade.

I don't know that anything has to be up with Beard for this move to make sense for Dean and PSU. Yes, Beard finishing 7th and being an AA as a Freshman eligible was a good accomplishment. But, lets look at his tournament run.

Tournament seed, Name, Pre-tournament Record, Final Pre-tournament Coaches' Ranking, Result

If I am Max Dean, 5 years out of high school and a two time AA at 184, I see Beard as a wrestler that I can beat out for a starting spot for a team that is in the hunt for an NCAA title, even jumping up a weight class.

If I am Cael Sanderson, I see Max Dean as a potential roster upgrade, even replacing another AA wrestler, for two reasons. First, things broke fairly well for Beard at the NCAA tournament and that finish may be tough to replicate for him in a tournament where the top seeds hold. Second, Beard's gas tank issues are still there after 3 years out of high school and after 2 years in the PSU room.

I for one hope Dean makes the move, no one at PSU is promised the spot, and the best man earns it on the mat.
Finally. Refreshing, thank you sir.

Reactions: searay26

I’m glad someone said it. Beard had an awesome draw, and took 7th. I think Max Dean is an upgrade.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
I’m glad someone said it. Beard had an awesome draw, and took 7th. I think Max Dean is an upgrade.

I'm not here to say Michael underachieved obviously when he AA'ed as a 15 seed but after Thursday night, I thought he had a draw to make the finals with Woodley then Bonaccorsi/Norfleet winner. (Frame of reference, Max beat Bonaccorsi 6-0 at 184 in 2019) Needless to say, watching him wrestle Woodley was frustrating. Michael can be great but he runs out of gas quickly in a tournament and then looks like he has cement blocks for feet.

Bottom line, in the very least with Max as an option at 197, Michael knows he has to show Cael his gas tank won't be an issue next year because I think that's Cael's concern. We can't afford for him to be motionless basically in certainly parts of a 3 day tournament if we want to catch Iowa next year.

Reactions: Jplions4
I'd like to see Beard elevate the hell out of his game, and either make Max Dean ride the pine OR split time with him.

7th place Beard isn't beating Max Dean, but would a 3rd-to-5th-place-capable, 197lb Beard beat Max Dean? That's a good question. One I'd like answered.

I'm not here to say Michael underachieved obviously when he AA'ed as a 15 seed but after Thursday night, I thought he had a draw to make the finals with Woodley then Bonaccorsi/Norfleet winner. (Frame of reference, Max beat Bonaccorsi 6-0 at 184 in 2019) Needless to say, watching him wrestle Woodley was frustrating. Michael can be great but he runs out of gas quickly in a tournament and then looks like he has cement blocks for feet.

Bottom line, in the very least with Max as an option at 197, Michael knows he has to show Cael his gas tank won't be an issue next year because I think that's Cael's concern. We can't afford for him to be motionless basically in certainly parts of a 3 day tournament if we want to catch Iowa next year.
With Max at 197, Michael has to show Cael he can beat him. And that's fine, because that's what everyone else has to do at the other weights also.

I guess that lack of gas tank is why he lost to Buchanan in overtime. OH WAIT........he BEAT #8 Buchanan in overtime. BOOM.....reality says Huh? :)

Huh? A first redshirt year would clearly have been better for both Morgan and Zain, not just in hindsight but even at the time. ...

Huh? A first redshirt year would clearly have been better for both Morgan and Zain, not just in hindsight but even at the time. ...

If Morgan had redshirted he would have had to sit the next year too behind Q. If Zain had redshirted we would not have won in OK City, Hindsight is always 20 20 vision but saying they would have been better off is just speculation. No way to know what would have happened for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT