ADVERTISEMENT

BTN embarrassing

So fencing should be a lead story? You realize what you said here doesn't happen, right?
And, any director of a station that would do something like this, especially a major network in BTN, would be canned.

In essence, what some on here are saying is, if it is Final Four time (heck, even Finals time), and a B1G team is in it, or even multiple, that fencing or water polo natl champ should lead off the time slot? LOL, what are we even doing here? The level of obtuse statements on here is mind blowing.

Now, as a teaser into the show open, of course any natl title for said conference should be mentioned, and should have a story done of course; but as the lead, what planet are we on?

Because you're wrong
No. I tried to be polite but you just couldn't let it go so here's the truth as opposed to my opinion. I don't want to engage with you because you are a pompous ass who is incapable of having a polite discussion. You are incapable of understanding that others may have opinions that are different from yours. Not right or wrong, different. That makes you the very definition of a pompous ass. You should change your name to that so people can see immediately what you are. Just to be sure you understand here's the definition.

pomp·ous / ˈpämpəs/• adj. affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important: a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything.

Looks pretty accurate to me.

Reactions: Lion84
The Big Ten Network is in the business of trying to get viewers and/or make a profit, right? Why would they not be leading off with Basketball coverage during March Madness? That's why the majority of people will watch those shows. I'll stick around for other stuff if it's PSU related, but once they start talking about Women's Hockey or another olympic sport that I have no interest in, I'm flipping the channel.

I enjoy PSU Wrestling...however the NIT will get better TV ratings than the Wrestling Championship. Seems obvious as to what the lead will be at this time of year.

The Big Ten Network is in the business of trying to get viewers and/or make a profit, right? Why would they not be leading off with Basketball coverage during March Madness? That's why the majority of people will watch those shows. I'll stick around for other stuff if it's PSU related, but once they start talking about Women's Hockey or another olympic sport that I have no interest in, I'm flipping the channel.

I enjoy PSU Wrestling...however the NIT will get better TV ratings than the Wrestling Championship. Seems obvious as to what the lead will be at this time of year.
We should have stuck with Lion Vision.

No. I tried to be polite but you just couldn't let it go so here's the truth as opposed to my opinion. I don't want to engage with you because you are a pompous ass who is incapable of having a polite discussion. You are incapable of understanding that others may have opinions that are different from yours. Not right or wrong, different. That makes you the very definition of a pompous ass. You should change your name to that so people can see immediately what you are. Just to be sure you understand here's the definition.

pomp·ous / ˈpämpəs/• adj. affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important: a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything.

He’s a troll. Don’t sweat it.

You weren't being polite to start with and I don't care if you polite or not. Just be honest.
Yes, there is a right and a wrong. Networks cater to what viewers want. Accept that reality.
Notice I wasn't the only one who told you that you were wrong. You're wrong and you know it.
There's a difference between saying "I would like it if they lead with championships but I understand why they don't"--that's being reasonable. You saying "Yes it should if it's a championship" proves you're being irrational and, as the other poster said, "Yes, we fully understand. You're living in your own world". This is delusional. But, yes, criticize me over your shortcomings.

Some very dumb people don't know the difference between facts and opinions and when they trot out their opinions as facts that are wrong they look pretty stupid and then try to find any shred of "proof" that they are right and fail miserable but will spam the tread until the day they die - I find it very amusing.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
You weren't being polite to start with and I don't care if you polite or not. Just be honest.
Yes, there is a right and a wrong. Networks cater to what viewers want. Accept that reality.
Notice I wasn't the only one who told you that you were wrong. You're wrong and you know it.
There's a difference between saying "I would like it if they lead with championships but I understand why they don't"--that's being reasonable. You saying "Yes it should if it's a championship" proves you're being irrational and, as the other poster said, "Yes, we fully understand. You're living in your own world". This is delusional. But, yes, criticize me over your shortcomings.
There you go again. If you weren't such a pompous ass you would be amusing.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
I still can't believe there is a debate on this, and how I feel compelled to continue, lol. But, here we go. If I'm researching correctly, the ncaa swim championships are decided, Sat, March 30th. The basketball Elite Eight is the same weekend. So, in theory, the B1G could have Illinois and Purdue reach the Final Four at the same time as the ncaa swim championships. Anyone who thinks that if a B1G team wins the swimming crown should absolutely be the lead story over potentially a Final Four, or two Final Four teams from the B1G just doesn't understand the broadcast business. I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful.

But, it would be insanity for Dave Revsine to open the BTN telecast with: "And now, Wisconsin wins the ncaa swim championships, we'll break it down next. Also, two teams reach the basketball Final Four."

Whether someone deems that as right or wrong is an opinion...but nobody who wants to have their job in that industry would elect to order things that way.

Context matters...if this is June and the only sports that are going are the baseball and softball CWS, then yes of course, lead off with that if a B1G wins the crown. Those are also big, major sports with tv coverage beginning from Regionals onward. But, when you have March Madness, CFB or sports of that gargantuan size, of course you have to prioritize what gets on the air. Anyone who thinks otherwise, and that a fencing title is more 'newsworthy' is being blatantly obtuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: LandoComando
I still can't believe there is a debate on this, and how I feel compelled to continue, lol. But, here we go. If I'm researching correctly, the ncaa swim championships are decided, Sat, March 30th. The basketball Elite Eight is the same weekend. So, in theory, the B1G could have Illinois and Purdue reach the Final Four at the same time as the ncaa swim championships. Anyone who thinks that if a B1G team wins the swimming crown should absolutely be the lead story over potentially a Final Four, or two Final Four teams from the B1G just doesn't understand the broadcast business. I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful.

But, it would be insanity for Dave Revsine to open the BTN telecast with: "And now, Wisconsin wins the ncaa swim championships, we'll break it down next. Also, two teams reach the basketball Final Four."

Whether someone deems that as right or wrong is an opinion...but nobody who wants to have their job in that industry would elect to order things that way.

Context matters...if this is June and the only sports that are going are the baseball and softball CWS, then yes of course, lead off with that if a B1G wins the crown. Those are also big, major sports with tv coverage beginning from Regionals onward. But, when you have March Madness, CFB or sports of that gargantuan size, of course you have to prioritize what gets on the air. Anyone who thinks otherwise, and that a fencing title is more 'newsworthy' is being blatantly obtuse.
The next time Revsine gives Penn State a compliment that isn’t backhanded will be the first.

I actually appreciate the coverage that the BTN and AAC Network give to wrestling. I'm part of a very, very small minority that watches more college wrestling than basketball. I also prefer hockey to basketball, but, again, I'm in a minority. Hockey is great in person, but it doesn't translate well to TV and has not begun to approach the popularity of basketball or football. It's not a matter of what I like or don't like, the attendance and TV ratings are what they are. March Madness attracts interest from people that otherwise wouldn't watch 15 seconds of a game; as a result, as you stated, the networks are only responding what brings viewers. If I was running the BTN, I would play it the same way, my personal tastes notwithstanding.
BTN has no problem televising field hockey!

Well said...we all enjoy different sports. After football it is men's hockey and WVB for me but I understand where they fall in terms of priority with networks. The intent isn't to say people shouldn't enjoy wrestling. Just have realistic expectations instead of bashing the BTN for no reason.
Isn't it ABC that televises the national spelling B competition? Someone needs to inform Cael and guys like Aaron Brooks how insignificant college wrestling is! As for me , I love any sport PSU is involved in.

Isn't it ABC that televises the national spelling B competition? Someone needs to inform Cael and guys like Aaron Brooks how insignificant college wrestling is! As for me , I love any sport PSU is involved in.
You don't think they understand where their sport falls in terms of popularity?
I'm glad we won a title--doesn't mean I should be irrational and not comprehend how March Madness was the lead story

Reactions: PSU_Nut
You don't think they understand where their sport falls in terms of popularity?
I'm glad we won a title--doesn't mean I should be irrational and not comprehend how March Madness was the lead story
You really dislike any opinion I have! I had no doubt you'd respond negatively to anything I said. Now, how could I have known what your response would be? I never said March Madmess should not be the lead story. I will tell you I turned from some of the basketball games to watch wrestling and didn't miss the bball.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmpsu
You really dislike any opinion I have! I had no doubt you'd respond negatively to anything I said. Now, how could I have known what your response would be? I never said March Madmess should not be the lead story. I will tell you I turned from some of the basketball games to watch wrestling and didn't miss the bball.
I'm sure I agree with you on a ton of things but when you say "someone tell Cael how irrelevant the sport is" you're no making any sense. Do you think he believes wrestling has more interest than basketball?

You agree that this thread shouldn't have existed because all BTN did was show events in the order the average fan is interested in them?

I'm sure I agree with you on a ton of things but when you say "someone tell Cael how irrelevant the sport is" you're no making any sense. Do you think he believes wrestling has more interest than basketball?

They should televise field hockey, no reason not to. There is a lot about the BTN to criticize, but televising sports like lax, field hockey, soccer, gymnastics, etc, including wrestling, isn't on the list
Oakton, I have no problem with that. My. Point all along has been how much I like wrestling as opposed to those who don't feel it's as important.

Not even close. PSU has taken over as the greatest college wrestling program IN HISTORY and any fan thinking otherwise has blinders on.
In history if you were born in 2009 maybe. I mean Iowa has double the number of national championships as Penn State. Oklahoma State has won 22 more national titles than Penn State. The sport was not invented in 15 years ago. Yes Penn State is the most dominate program now but is a new comer on the elite level.

Wrestling problem has always been there always a dominate program. Penn State, Iowa and Oklahoma State has won 70 out of 94 tournaments.

In history if you were born in 2009 maybe. I mean Iowa has double the number of national championships as Penn State. Oklahoma State has won 22 more national titles than Penn State. The sport was not invented in 15 years ago. Yes Penn State is the most dominate program now but is a new comer on the elite level.

Wrestling problem has always been there always a dominate program. Penn State, Iowa and Oklahoma State has won 70 out of 94 tournaments.
This isn’t about PennState being among the top 3 relevant programs. It is THE top program. And, more importantly, we have the opportunity to witness and experience an actual dynasty. The fact that BTN doesn’t realize (or care) is the issue. Furthermore, it’s not as if BTN was confronted with choosing an NCAA Basketbal championship….it was the first/second round games.

So witnessing a dynasty vs coverage of Illinois vs Duquesne (!)? It should be an easy choice for any sports fan, wrestling fan, history fan, or PennState fan.

Reactions: johnmpsu
This isn’t about PennState being among the top 3 relevant programs. It is THE top program. And, more importantly, we have the opportunity to witness and experience an actual dynasty. The fact that BTN doesn’t realize (or care) is the issue. Furthermore, it’s not as if BTN was confronted with choosing an NCAA Basketbal championship….it was the first/second round games.

So witnessing a dynasty vs coverage of Illinois vs Duquesne (!)? It should be an easy choice for any sports fan, wrestling fan, history fan, or PennState fan.
Illinois Duquesne was mich bigger for 95% of people hence it sent first and was an easy choice. How does anyone not comprehend this? This honestly has to be a joke

Every TV network will put emphasis on the sporting event that brings in the most eyeballs - it's not that hard unless you have your school blinders on. OSU just won 2 team NCs this weekend with almost no mention of them on the BTN. I don't see any complaining by their fans about the lack of coverage. Maybe, just maybe, some realize that CBB is more entertaining than college wrestling

I assume you watch a ton of Trinity College (CT) Squash since they won 17 straight national titles. Honestly wrestling is such individual sport that the team competition doesn't translate well to TV.

As far as Duquesne vs Illinois....1.59 million watched that game on TNT where as the wrestling championship finals coverage on ESPN drew 628,000 which is the lowest ratings in 6 years. The semi finals drew only 451,000. So tell me how much people actually care about the dynasty or wrestling in general?

I assume you watch a ton of Trinity College (CT) Squash since they won 17 straight national titles. Honestly wrestling is such individual sport that the team competition doesn't translate well to TV.

As far as Duquesne vs Illinois....1.59 million watched that game on TNT where as the wrestling championship finals coverage on ESPN drew 628,000 which is the lowest ratings in 6 years. The semi finals drew only 451,000. So tell me how much people actually care about the dynasty or wrestling in general?
When the NESCAC has its own TV network, then we can talk about Trinity and its programming. But we are talking about the BTN and PennState.

The reality today is that NCAA Wrestling is PennState and PennState is NCAA Wrestling. And PennState is part of the Big Ten. At the same time, those numbers for the Illinois/Duquesne game are meaningless. The issue is viewers of BTN…not TNT. You think the same people tuning into watch Duquesne trying to knock down Illini are tuning into BTN?? We both know the answer to that.

At the end of the day, this isn’t about money or viewers, because I think the difference is negligible. But if your argument is strictly $$, then BTN should just show “Friends” reruns.

When the NESCAC has its own TV network, then we can talk about Trinity and its programming. But we are talking about the BTN and PennState.

The reality today is that NCAA Wrestling is PennState and PennState is NCAA Wrestling. And PennState is part of the Big Ten. At the same time, those numbers for the Illinois/Duquesne game are meaningless. The issue is viewers of BTN…not TNT. You think the same people tuning into watch Duquesne trying to knock down Illini are tuning into BTN?? We both know the answer to that.

At the end of the day, this isn’t about money or viewers, because I think the difference is negligible. But if your argument is strictly $$, then BTN should just show “Friends” reruns.
And nothing you said here alters the reality that those tuning in care more about March Madness and college hockey than wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT