ADVERTISEMENT

BTN embarrassing

Well, women's basketball isn't exactly in great demand, but everyone is doing their best to build it up to be the hottest thing going and give it major coverage. How many on this board are spending their days watching the gals play?
Women's basketball is a bigger draw than wrestling. And there's a lot of threads here about not on the Penn State women but Iowa/Clark and others. Any collegiate wrestlers as famous right now as Clark? Or Bueckers? Horrible argument Walt.
Liv Dunne's a bigger name and she's an average female athlete.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Just some facts that will apparently confuse people for some unknown reason.

Viewers by NCAA sport for 22-23 championships

FBS Football 17.2M
Men's Basketball 14.7M
Women's Basketball 9.9M (but some thought wrestling was more popular lol)
Baseball 3.6M
Softball: 1.9M
FCS Football: 1.1M
W Gymnastics: 1M (admittedly Liv Dunne is a factor here)
D2 Men's Basketball 998K (yes, DII)
Men's Hockey: 808k (predictably way higher than wrestling)
W Volleyball: 786k (also predictably way higher than wrestling--way more competitive)
Men's LAX: 757k
Wrestling: 454k (300k less than LAX)

Wrestling is closer to Beach Volley, M-NIt (race to 68), Women's LAX, D2 and D3 Football, Men's Soccer and even men's golf than it is to Men's Hockey yet somehow you all can't comprehend why it's not the lead story. Because no one actually cares. It's okay to accept reality.

When Women's Gymnastics gets more than double the viewership the sport doesn't have a legit fan base.

All these were on either CBS, ABC or the ESPN Networks--W Volleyball was even on ESPN 2 as opposed to ESPN for wrestling and dominated the ratings.

So, yes, BTN did nothing wrong by leading with March Madness the Hockey because that's what people care about.

Reactions: rrdd2021

FBS Football 17.2M
Men's Basketball 14.7M
Baseball 3.6M
W Volleyball: 786k (also predictably way higher than wrestling--way more competitive)

Wrestling is closer to Beach Volley, M-NIt (race to 68), Women's LAX, D2 and D3 Football, Men's Soccer and even men's golf than it is to Men's Hockey yet somehow you all can't comprehend why it's not the lead story. Because no one actually cares. It's okay to accept reality.

When Women's Gymnastics gets more than double the viewership the sport doesn't have a legit fan base.

All these were on either CBS, ABC or the ESPN Networks--W Volleyball was even on ESPN 2 as opposed to ESPN for wrestling and dominated the ratings.

So, yes, BTN did nothing wrong by leading with March Madness the Hockey because that's what people care about.

What’s next, Fake Penn State Lando fan? A chart showing all the years Joe Paterno failed to beat Michigan? You’re a fraud! You know it. I know it. “We all know it.”

What’s next, Fake Penn State Lando fan? A chart showing all the years Joe Paterno failed to beat Michigan? You’re a fraud! You know it. I know it. “We all know it.”
Fraud by not pretending wrestling has a large following? Data doesn't lie.

Seriously, hockey is FAR MORE POPULAR in cold-weather B1G country-states than wrestling. I know many fans who have been to several college hockey matches/games - myself included - and have never been to a wrestling match. I don't even know what rules are involved in wrestling. I've been to dozens of Blackhawk games and even a few Red Wings and Penguins - but never to a wrestling match and I have a lot of company. Many of us in the North really love hockey
I don't know anyone who gives a crap about college hockey.

FBS Football 17.2M
Men's Basketball 14.7M
Baseball 3.6M

Yes. And, truthfully, I am okay with that. I have a company of about 40 employees. Other than myself, only one other is interested in wrestling.

I like that ESPN covers the championships, but I would just as soon that ESPN not be involved any more than that.

Well, women's basketball isn't exactly in great demand, but everyone is doing their best to build it up to be the hottest thing going and give it major coverage. How many on this board are spending their days watching the gals play?
Maybe not on this board but many around the country follow women's BB FAR MORE than wrestling. I've watched many FB (obviously), WBB, MBB, college hockey and baseball and on and on..... on local and national TV over the years but never a wrestling match. I think the biggest issue for the lack of a following for wrestling is that it's a man-on-man sport and not a team sport like the others. Just the way it is

Maybe not on this board but many around the country follow women's BB FAR MORE than wrestling. I've watched many FB (obviously), WBB, MBB, college hockey and baseball and on and on..... on local and national TV over the years but never a wrestling match. I think the biggest issue for the lack of a following for wrestling is that it's a man-on-man sport and not a team sport like the others. Just the way it is
Correct...the individuality of it hurts it with casuals. I can turn on a team sport without knowing every small detail of the sport and enjoy it. I'm not a soccer fan but I can still watch the World Cup or a college match and fully understand it. Wrestling doesn't have that. Fans are die hard or non existent. Casual fans are needed for a sport to thrive. WVB is a great example of a sport that's growing at the college level.

But it's more far popular - NATIONALLY - than wrestling and that's the argument and far more popular up North. Jesus H. Christ, it's not that hard and the BTN - like any other TV network - will cover material that brings in the most viewers.

The "B1G conspiracy" claims get comical on here at times

But it's more far popular - NATIONALLY - than wrestling and that's the argument and far more popular up North. Jesus H. Christ, it's not that hard and the BTN - like any other TV network - will cover material that brings in the most viewers.

The "B1G conspiracy" claims get comical on here at times
I actually appreciate the coverage that the BTN and AAC Network give to wrestling. I'm part of a very, very small minority that watches more college wrestling than basketball. I also prefer hockey to basketball, but, again, I'm in a minority. Hockey is great in person, but it doesn't translate well to TV and has not begun to approach the popularity of basketball or football. It's not a matter of what I like or don't like, the attendance and TV ratings are what they are. March Madness attracts interest from people that otherwise wouldn't watch 15 seconds of a game; as a result, as you stated, the networks are only responding what brings viewers. If I was running the BTN, I would play it the same way, my personal tastes notwithstanding.

I actually appreciate the coverage that the BTN and AAC Network give to wrestling. I'm part of a very, very small minority that watches more college wrestling than basketball. I also prefer hockey to basketball, but, again, I'm in a minority. Hockey is great in person, but it doesn't translate well to TV and has not begun to approach the popularity of basketball or football. It's not a matter of what I like or don't like, the attendance and TV ratings are what they are. March Madness attracts interest from people that otherwise wouldn't watch 15 seconds of a game; as a result, as you stated, the networks are only responding what brings viewers. If I was running the BTN, I would play it the same way, my personal tastes notwithstanding.
Well said...we all enjoy different sports. After football it is men's hockey and WVB for me but I understand where they fall in terms of priority with networks. The intent isn't to say people shouldn't enjoy wrestling. Just have realistic expectations instead of bashing the BTN for no reason.

Very well said. I love CF and watch CBB as an in-between until CF starts back up. I do occasionally watch college hockey.

I think you hit on the main issues with this thread ----- the networks will cover the sports with the most interest and eyeballs involved. IN NO WAY am I trying to diminish what PSU has done in wrestling. It's the greatest College Wrestling program of all-time - no question about it.

But with that said, when I think of CF names in the B1G, I think of OSU, Michigan, PSU and now USC. Just because the networks - and BTN - doesn't give the coverage to some of the very minor sports (WRESTLING) that a handful would like to see in no way is a conspiracy and ridiculous to think so

If you said the sky is blue Blando would so no it's not and post 50 times with reasons why even when no one responds to anything he post - some sort of mental illness I suspect.

If you said the sky is blue Blando would so no it's not and post 50 times with reasons why even when no one responds to anything he post - some sort of mental illness I suspect.
I would think the mental illness is being obsessed with me to the point you said "Blando". You just don't like that I call you on your nonsense.

Hello, Lemon. My name is Kasparaitis and I love cawledge hawkey. Penn State had one of the best club teams in the country when I was in school. I attended many games. My Econ professor was an assistant coach. Guy Gadowski has taken the program to an elite level very quickly. I recommend you allocate some time to attending their games in person or watch on TV. It’s a tremendous sport and PSU plays at a high level, this season notwithstanding. Nice to meet you.

Another fan you may know went by the name of Franco Harris. I sat in front of him during a Penguins game at the Igloo one afternoon. We had a very nice chat about Penn State hockey during intermission.

Lead off show with 25 minutes of March madness coverage with not even a mention of PSU wrestling. Even showed hockey highlights before wrestling. And they didn’t even have Ohio St or Michigan to talk about. Total embarrassment.
Unfortunately wrestling is a niche sport. I am a football, basketball, baseball guy who watched wrestling non-stop Thursday through Saturday. 628000 viewers for Saturday wrestling finals. Down 8% from last year. Wrestling will probably never get the exposure the die hard fans want. I don’t watch BTN except for PSU games so I didn’t see of it was the lead story today. It should have been due to the domination PSU displayed.

Seriously, hockey is FAR MORE POPULAR in cold-weather B1G country-states than wrestling. I know many fans who have been to several college hockey matches/games - myself included - and have never been to a wrestling match. I don't even know what rules are involved in wrestling. I've been to dozens of Blackhawk games and even a few Red Wings and Penguins - but never to a wrestling match and I have a lot of company. Many of us in the North really love hockey
Does that include Pennsylvania?

Women’s BB is unwatchable. Hell, Men’s BB is too.

Hello, Lemon. My name is Kasparaitis and I love cawledge hawkey. Penn State had one of the best club teams in the country when I was in school. I attended many games. My Econ professor was an assistant coach. Guy Gadowski has taken the program to an elite level very quickly. I recommend you allocate some time to attending their games in person or watch on TV. It’s a tremendous sport and PSU plays at a high level, this season notwithstanding. Nice to meet you.

Another fan you may know went by the name of Franco Harris. I sat in front of him during a Penguins game at the Igloo one afternoon. We had a very nice chat about Penn State hockey during intermission.
Great. Now I know someone who likes college hockey and I will never have to say again that I don't. I wish I would have met Franco. He was on campus at PSU during the 4 years I was there but I never met him.

Does that include Pennsylvania?
The issue in this thread was about the BTN and their coverage about PSU wrestling yesterday and I think it's safe to say that there are probably 6 or 7 more popular college sports than wrestling (maybe more) in B1G country whether you like it or not. I was reading that the OSU hockey women were also playing for a NC today.....no idea if they won or not simply because outside of Ohio, no one gives a rat's a$$ and they don't deserve a lot of coverage over BB on the BTN....maybe a quick mention.

Guess what, the BTN coverage is on in more states than PA. I said it before and I'll say it again, the B1G conspiracy BS by some (not all) on this board is crazy. It just comes across as insecurity

The issue in this thread was about the BTN and their coverage about PSU wrestling yesterday and I think it's safe to say that there are probably 6 or 7 more popular college sports than wrestling (maybe more) in B1G country whether you like it or not. I was reading that the OSU hockey women were also playing for a NC today.....no idea if they won or not simply because outside of Ohio, no one gives a rat's a$$ and they don't deserve a lot of coverage over BB on the BTN....maybe a quick mention.

Guess what, the BTN coverage is on in more states than PA. I said it before and I'll say it again, the B1G conspiracy BS by some (not all) on this board is crazy. It just comes across as insecurity
I guess the sentiment is the BTN coverage should emphasize member teams competing for National Championships PSU wrestling, OSU women hockey, etc. versus de-emphasizing them for coverage of events like the NCAA basketball tournament that's in its preliminary rounds.

Reactions: johnmpsu
A quick update to my previous post......OSU's Women's Hockey team just won the NC. Congrats to those young ladies and also the PSU wrestling team - a job well done by both not only for you but the rest of the conference. But in reality, I can guarantee that the vast majority of B1G fans that don't follow those two programs want to see BB coverage on the BTN.

I guess I should also say that PSU is an established and VERY STRONG member now of the B1G and the vast majority of B1G fans are glad you're in. But, for the life of me, I just can't figure out the conspiracy NUTS that think the B1G is out to get PSU. With all the other conferences ready to blow up (outside of the SEC), where are you going?

A quick update to my previous post......OSU's Women's Hockey team just won the NC. Congrats to those young ladies and also the PSU wrestling team - a job well done by both not only for you but the rest of the conference. But in reality, I can guarantee that the vast majority of B1G fans that don't follow those two programs want to see BB coverage on the BTN.

I guess I should also say that PSU is an established and VERY STRONG member now of the B1G and the vast majority of B1G fans are glad you're in. But, for the life of me, I just can't figure out the conspiracy NUTS that think the B1G is out to get PSU. With all the other conferences ready to blow up (outside of the SEC), where are you going?
Overall, I’m a big fan of the BTN because I believe that they do a really good job of covering a lot of sports that you otherwise hardly ever would see like soccer, hockey and lacrosse. They also probably dedicate more time to the sport of wrestling than you reasonably can expect. I also believe that they show games featuring PSU probably as much as or more than any other Big 10 school.

My only complaint about BTN’s wrestling coverage is that it seems as if they think that Iowa still is the preeminent wrestling program in the country when in reality it’s probably only the fourth or fifth best program in its own conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: OaktonDave
Overall, I’m a big fan of the BTN because I believe that they do a really goods job of covering a lot of sports that you otherwise hardly ever would see like soccer, hockey and lacrosse. They also probably dedicate more time to the sport of wrestling than you reasonably can expect. I also believe that they show games featuring PSU probably as much as or more than any other Big 10 school.

My only complaint about BTN’s wrestling coverage is that it seems as if they think that Iowa still is the preeminent wrestling program in the country when in reality it’s probably only the fourth or fifth best program in its own conference.
Not even close. PSU has taken over as the greatest college wrestling program IN HISTORY and any fan thinking otherwise has blinders on.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
I guess the sentiment is the BTN coverage should emphasize member teams competing for National Championships PSU wrestling, OSU women hockey, etc. versus de-emphasizing them for coverage of events like the NCAA basketball tournament that's in its preliminary rounds.
But they're emphasizing what most people care about
Why would they de-emphasize March Madness when that's the biggest thing in sports right now?

Reactions: rrdd2021
Penn State has won 11 titles since 2011...no one believes Iowa is the best program right now. Historically, Iowa and Oklahoma State are the elites. Penn State is third--we currently have half the number that Iowa has.

It's like ND, they haven't won a title since '88, but because they have so many titles historically they act as though they're the "preeminent" football program.

You understand why Iowa is viewed how they are, right? We have to win every title through 2036 to catch them. 2046 to catch Oklahoma State.

But they're emphasizing what most people care about
Why would they de-emphasize March Madness when that's the biggest thing in sports right now?
Last I checked the goal of every sports program is winning National Championships and coverage should be afforded the teams doing so by their Conference networks like the BTN. March Madness may bigger ratings but hasn't even reached Sweet 16 status, so again, IMHO, coverage for National Championships trumps preliminaries.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Last I checked the goal of every sports program is winning National Championships and coverage should be afforded the teams doing so by their Conference networks like the BTN. March Madness may bigger ratings but hasn't even reached Sweet 16 status, so again, IMHO, coverage for National Championships trumps preliminaries.
A national title is more meaningful but TV is about interest not meaning
I completely agree with you that the entire purpose of sports, at any level, is to win a title. That's way more important than the first or second round of March Madness but it also wasn't the final day of Wrestling Championships and it's still wrestling. Very few people care and the ratings show that.
They're catering to their audience. You don't think people would be complaining if they show started with wrestling?

Like it or not, Professional Sports at the college level have more interest than Olympic sports. But it does seem odd, that with the Wrestling National Championships going on, which are dominated by the B1G, that there was no coverage.
If it where OSU UM or IOWA there would be plenty of coverage. Same old same old for PSU.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Complete nonsense but the narrative you want
Of course it's nonsense...just more bickering. By that narrative, if PSU or (fill in the blank school) wins a championship in fencing or gymnanstics, that should lead off over March Madness coverage of B1G teams.

Reactions: LandoComando
If it where OSU UM or IOWA there would be plenty of coverage. Same old same old for PSU.
OSU just won NC in in both Pistol and Womens Hockey this weekend with very little mention at all. But PSUs Wrestling Championship should be heavily covered by the BTN. OK, whatever you say. Everybody is out to get PSU.

Reactions: scrivener
If it's supposed to be a sports "news" program then any national championship result should always be the lead story. It doesnt matter what the sport is. It may not be the most popular sport but a championship is the biggest news story of the day. Nobody that's a sports fan should complain about that. If it's a news program there is no bigger news than the championship.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
If it's supposed to be a sports "news" program then any national championship result should always be the lead story. It doesnt matter what the sport is. It may not be the most popular sport but a championship is the biggest news story of the day. Nobody that's a sports fan should complain about that. If it's a news program there is no bigger news than the championship.
So fencing should be a lead story? You realize what you said here doesn't happen, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT