ADVERTISEMENT

BTN embarrassing

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
Lead off show with 25 minutes of March madness coverage with not even a mention of PSU wrestling. Even showed hockey highlights before wrestling. And they didn’t even have Ohio St or Michigan to talk about. Total embarrassment.

Lead off show with 25 minutes of March madness coverage with not even a mention of PSU wrestling. Even showed hockey highlights before wrestling. And they didn’t even have Ohio St or Michigan to talk about. Total embarrassment.
What do you think more people are about? March Madness or wrestling? Then after that obvious answer...the Frozen 4 or Wrestling? Networks cater to what people are there to watch and obviously March Madness is the biggest thing in sports right now.

Like it or not, Professional Sports at the college level have more interest than Olympic sports. But it does seem odd, that with the Wrestling National Championships going on, which are dominated by the B1G, that there was no coverage.

They probably were working on another feature about the Iowa wrestling program.

True. ;)

The Big Ten is a conference fixated on the past. It’s how they define themselves.

Their focus is on the original 9 with only a halfhearted acceptance of Michigan State, who didn’t join until 1950, (and Michigan didn’t want them in at the time).

This is a conference that for decades was much more fixated on (losing in) the Rose Bowl than on winning the football national championship. In wrestling they’re fixated on Iowa of the 80s/90s. They will not credit any university, (not named Ohio St or Michigan), for anything current because it’s primarily those 2 that still define their past.

Nebraska could have entered the conference and rolled off 8 straight national championships in football. The Big Ten would still be focused on showing nonstop replays of Michigan vs Ohio St football from the 1960s and 70s.

Maryland could have joined and won 10 straight basketball titles and the BTN would still be more focused on Indiana basketball of the 1970s.

Penn St wrestling runs off 11 national titles in 14 (?) years…… the BTN will primarily focus on Gable and Iowa wrestling of the 70s and 80s.

Hell, if the university of Chicago had any success in sports in the 1930s, it would still get more air time on the BTN. 😂

Last edited:
What do you think more people are about? March Madness or wrestling? Then after that obvious answer...the Frozen 4 or Wrestling? Networks cater to what people are there to watch and obviously March Madness is the biggest thing in sports right now.
Showing ice hockey highlights before coverage of a National Wrestling Championship. Well that seems odd from an actual viewer and audience participation perspective. All 14 big teams have a wrestling team while only 7 I believe have an ice hockey team. The Big network covered the entire Big wrestling tournament, ESPN carried the entire NCAA wrestling tournament, but I believe they’ll both only cover the actual championship game in ice hockey.

Were OSU or UM accomplishing what the PSU wrestling team is presently doing (or even contending for the National Title) it may have been the lead story. But that’s an arguable point considering it is March Madness. You really should check coverage, ratings and total participation between ice hockey and wrestling, both in the BIG and Nationally before making claims that comply only with your personal preferences. The two golden children plus Iowa are getting thumped on National TV so they’re downplaying the coverage as usual.

Showing ice hockey highlights before coverage of a National Wrestling Championship. Well that seems odd from an actual viewer and audience participation perspective. All 14 big teams have a wrestling team while only 7 I believe have an ice hockey team. The Big network covered the entire Big wrestling tournament, ESPN carried the entire NCAA wrestling tournament, but I believe they’ll both only cover the actual championship game in ice hockey.

Were OSU or UM accomplishing what the PSU wrestling team is presently doing (or even contending for the National Title) it may have been the lead story. But that’s an arguable point considering it is March Madness. You really should check coverage, ratings and total participation between ice hockey and wrestling, both in the BIG and Nationally before making claims that comply only with your personal preferences. The two golden children plus Iowa are getting thumped on National TV so they’re downplaying the coverage as usual.
It wouldn't have been the lead story over March Madness had it been Mkchigan or Ohio State. Stop letting your hate of the conference make you say absurd things. Hockey also has more fans than wrestling in general. The Frozen Four is a bigger event. Just being honest here. What Penn State has done is impressive but it's still wrestling. It's like getting angry fencing isn't the lead story. It will alway be football then basketball then soccer then hockey then wrestling or baseball. Always on shows like this.

Reactions: PSU_Nut

True. Showing (non championship) hockey highlights before the wrestling national championship is odd.

What are the chances the BTN leads with the Michigan vs Michigan St hockey game tonight rather than Penn St officially claiming the Wrestling national championship?

If Michigan wins the hockey national championship in a few weeks, do you think the BTN leads with that or shows college baseball highlights first? ;)

True. Showing (non championship) hockey highlights before the wrestling national championship is odd.

What are the chances the BTN leads with the Michigan vs Michigan St hockey game tonight rather than Penn St officially claiming the Wrestling national championship?

If Michigan wins the hockey national championship in a few weeks, do you think the BTN leads with that or shows college baseball highlights first? ;)
Baseball if either OSU and UM sweep a double header.😀😃😄😁😆

• Haha
Reactions: bison13 and psu00

You're all pretending wrestling is more important than it is because we won. This incorrectly makes you believe it's about Michigan and Ohio State when, in reality, it's about wrestling. Hell given these comments BTN shouldn't talk about us positively at all.

How is it odd? It is a more popular sport and the hockey game is on BTN while wrestling is on ESPN. Which would you promote first? People need to take off the tin foil hat and stop pretending that the world and Big Ten is out to get Penn State.

Yeah, those fuc%ing brands brothers are must see tv
I’m surprised they’re not all over Michigan. After all, Michigan coming in second place is far more important than Penn State winning a third consecutive national championship. “We all know” that - as our friend Lando reminds us what we all know every hour of every day.

Reactions: blueandwhite84
How is it odd? It is a more popular sport and the hockey game is on BTN while wrestling is on ESPN. Which would you promote first? People need to take off the tin foil hat and stop pretending that the world and Big Ten is out to get Penn State.
Personally, I’ve never believed they were out to “get” PSU. We’re just one of what used to be 12, but now 16 teams that will never receive the coverage or slobbering over what the two golden children receive. That’s life, one has to accept it if you’re a BIG member, but one needn’t have to enjoy it.

Reactions: johnmpsu

Never said the world was out to get Penn St.

National championship trumps regular season games.

If the BTN is showing college baseball (or whatever) in a few weeks and Michigan wins the hockey national title on espn, what do you think is the BTN lead story? It’s Michigan winning a natty (as it should be) despite the BTN televising some baseball game at the time, (and baseball being more popular than hockey).

Last edited:
Reactions: nitanee123
Seriously, hockey is FAR MORE POPULAR in cold-weather B1G country-states than wrestling. I know many fans who have been to several college hockey matches/games - myself included - and have never been to a wrestling match. I don't even know what rules are involved in wrestling. I've been to dozens of Blackhawk games and even a few Red Wings and Penguins - but never to a wrestling match and I have a lot of company. Many of us in the North really love hockey

If the BTN is showing college baseball (or whatever) in a few weeks and Michigan wins the hockey national title on espn, what do you think is the BTN lead story? It’s Michigan winning a natty (as it should be) despite the BTN televising some baseball game at the time, (and baseball being more popular than hockey).
Depends on the popularity of the sports involved.

Yes indeed. The Big Ten handled the Sandusky case identically to the way they handled scandals at Michigan and Ohio State. And everything we’ve seen with this conference since 1993 is just a mirage. Of course we should believe some Nut and not our lying eyes. How could we be so naive?

At times BTN has a real content problem and has to reach for product. And we all know where they go first, so I have a helpful solution. OSU and UM should form a two team BIG Cricket league. Those matches go on for hours, sometimes even days. Breathless coverage of those mesmerizing battles might solve the problem.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

It's not a regular season hockey game. It's the Big Ten tournament being covered by the BIG TEN NETWORK. You're angry or annoyed or whatever over nothing.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the sports involved. This is a Michigan-Ohio State centric conference. We’ve watched it from the front row for thirty years now.
My comment was in reference to B1G hockey vs wrestling and Michigan is a 0.500 squad in hockey and OSU absolutely SUCKS. The top 3 in B1G hockey are MSU, Wisky, and Minnesota and I'd much rather watch any of those 3 than any wrestling.....as would the vast majority of northern B1G fans. Yes, it has everything to do with the sport involved - quit making excuses

Yes indeed. The Big Ten handled the Sandusky case identically to the way they handled scandals at Michigan and Ohio State. And everything we’ve seen with this conference since 1993 is just a mirage. Of course we should believe some Nut and not our lying eyes. How could we be so naive?
The national media handled those differently also. It was not just the BTN. Did the NCAA go after any of those schools? Did anyone handle them the same? So I guess the entire country is out to get Penn State.

You're all pretending wrestling is more important than it is because we won. This incorrectly makes you believe it's about Michigan and Ohio State when, in reality, it's about wrestling. Hell given these comments BTN shouldn't talk about us positively at all.
Oh, they do speak positively about us? I must've missed that day!

I don't believe we ever got our share of the bowl money when Joe's wins were restored. So how much were we cheated out of?

The national media handled those differently also. It was not just the BTN. Did the NCAA go after any of those schools? Did anyone handle them the same? So I guess the entire country is out to get Penn State.
The national media is Fake News and your argument is backwards. If anything the Big Ten should have at least stayed neutral if not defending us. Instead they piled on, proving my point.

I support all college athletes as my son is track and xc at Kent. Looking at these crowds over the past few days and especially tonight wrestling is still alive. The atmosphere is amazing during this tournament.

I support all college athletes as my son is track and xc at Kent. Looking at these crowds over the past few days and especially tonight wrestling is still alive. The atmosphere is amazing during this tournament.
Yes, like all sports there's die hards. There's less than 80 DI programs currently and 79 (if there's 80) of them can't compete with us the vast majority of the time.

It's not a regular season hockey game. It's the Big Ten tournament being covered by the BIG TEN NETWORK. You're angry or annoyed or whatever over nothing.
The BTN show in question is a recap of the B10 athletic events for the day so wouldn't coverage of B10 teams competing for NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS trump coverage of early round basketball games or a B10 Tournament game? Isn't NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS the goal of every team and hence deserve top billing?

Reactions: Waltwam
Do more than try. Make it happen.
I’m doing my part. When we first joined the Big Ten I was a season ticket holder and even rooted for other Big Ten teams when they weren’t playing us. Now I hope every Big Ten team loses every game they play unless it’s against Notre Dame or Pitt. And I haven’t set foot on campus since Joe’s memorial. The Big Ten and especially our board of trustees can both suck it.

Reactions: NC2017
I'd characterize it more as 2nd class citizen status for all schools not in OH and Ann Arbor, vs "out to get."

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
The BTN show in question is a recap of the B10 athletic events for the day so wouldn't coverage of B10 teams competing for NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS trump coverage of early round basketball games or a B10 Tournament game? Isn't NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS the goal of every team and hence deserve top billing?
No--it wasn't even the final day of the tournament. It's no different than the other tournaments you're discussing. And, again, wrestling isn't as popular. They don't put it on in order of importance but relevance. If Cael never came to Penn State and was at, say, Minnesota, no one would be complaining about this because they would comprehend it's logical.

No--it wasn't even the final day of the tournament. It's no different than the other tournaments you're discussing. And, again, wrestling isn't as popular. They don't put it on in order of importance but relevance. If Cael never came to Penn State and was at, say, Minnesota, no one would be complaining about this because they would comprehend it's logical.
Wrestling is more popular than you. Fact.

Well, women's basketball isn't exactly in great demand, but everyone is doing their best to build it up to be the hottest thing going and give it major coverage. How many on this board are spending their days watching the gals play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT