ADVERTISEMENT

Bills Steelers game may get moved to Cleveland

They played okay, disappointed their defense caved when it mattered on that 4th quarter Bill's drive.

I know we are past the Tomlin getting canned stage and I know Watt was hurt and whatever else we can say. So I preface it with that and maybe it's only me but Tomlin in these road playoff games is eerily similar to Franklin in road games vs top ten opponents. They never win them and always seem a day late and a dollar short.
A) Pickett fumble really hurt. B) Johnson just waited for the ball in end zone instead of coming forward….resulted into a pick. C) Fitzpatrick missed a huge tackle on Allen would killed that drive.

Those three plays changed the game. Couple others also impactful.

Close but no cigar.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I wish so much that Tomlin would resign and they would hire Vrabel as his replacement. That organization needs a change because it’s become so stagnant.

They haven’t won a playoff game since the 2016 season despite making it four times since then. Also, they haven’t been to a Super Bowl since the 2010 season, which is approaching the same length of time between 1979 and their next Super Bowl in 1995.

I think he's gone. The franchise is stuck in neutral and there is no way out without making a big move for a QB (which they won't do), or tanking and getting a high draft pick (which he's not going to do intentionally)
Hopefully--it's best for all parties

It looked like it hit his helmet while he was out on that play. Might not have been enough to overturn it had they called it a fumble, but definitely not enough to go the other way.

They said it was recovery oob that was the reason for it not being bills ball on the field. Replay showed it was recovered in bounds. Anyway Steelers luck ran out.

They said it was recovery oob that was the reason for it not being bills ball on the field. Replay showed it was recovered in bounds. Anyway Steelers luck ran out.
Correct…when they reviewed it, they are reviewing the entire play. Touching Pat F was the reason it wasn’t overturned, since it was recovered in bounds.

If Tomlin steps down, the first question anyone interviewing will ask:
What’s your plan to get me a real QB?

I wish so much that Tomlin would resign and they would hire Vrabel as his replacement. That organization needs a change because it’s become so stagnant.

They haven’t won a playoff game since the 2016 season despite making it four times since then. Also, they haven’t been to a Super Bowl since the 2010 season, which is approaching the same length of time between 1979 and their next Super Bowl in 1995.
I agree, just get rid of him somehow but it is not happening. This season is kind of classic Mike Tomlin. Lose games you should win, win a couple you were underdogs in, then go on a little run and make the playoffs helped by some luck usually another team imploding. Have to go on the road as a 6 or 7 seed vs one of the best teams and get outclassed because he is totally incapable of springing a upset on the road and simply put he is not that great of a coach

When the schedule comes out for next season you will be able to predict the 2 or 3 bad losses versus lousy teams then other obligatory losses and.. of course the wins to save his job...again....like vs the Ravens or whatever. When it is all said and done it is a 9-8 or 10-7 record and just missing the playoffs or a 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs. Read above for what happens. Steelers fans are just stuck in this bad movie doom loop.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Correct…when they reviewed it, they are reviewing the entire play. Touching Pat F was the reason it wasn’t overturned, since it was recovered in bounds.
Guessing they could not tell if the ball touched the helmet. With the original call OB, they could not overturn.
Also guessing the official who made the original call thought the Bills player was OB and didn’t base his call on the ball touching the helmet. Just guessing….

Reactions: Erial_Lion

The officials never gave an explanation for why the call stood so you're making assumptions.

The officials never gave an explanation for why the call stood so you're making assumptions.
And it's a pretty safe assumption after watching the play. The Bills player had control when he was in-bounds...but also looked like it hit Pat F's helmet. To overturn it, the video would have to be clear with all aspects of the play (that it was a catch, that it was a fumble, that no one touched it while OOB, that it was recovered in bounds, etc). There was one aspect to it that was pretty unclear.

And it's a pretty safe assumption after watching the play. The Bills player had control when he was in-bounds...but also looked like it hit Pat F's helmet. To overturn it, the video would have to be clear with all aspects of the play (that it was a catch, that it was a fumble, that no one touched it while OOB, that it was recovered in bounds, etc). There was one aspect to it that was pretty unclear.
I don't understand the rule that makes the ball OOB if touched inbounds with a foot OOB.

Punts near the goal line go by the location of the ball.

It’s similar to “down by contac
I don't understand the rule that makes the ball OOB if touched inbounds with a foot OOB.

Punts near the goal line go by the location of the ball.
It is similar to ‘down by contact’. One interception return was negated because there was a very slight touch while the intercepting player was falling down.

My guess is that they call those plays this tight because it takes away having to determine intent or cause.

Pittsburgh sports dude Pompiani laughed this off saying that Tomlin felt this wasn’t the appropriate time to discuss this.

But Tomlin looked downright angry to me. Maybe he is angry they didn’t extend his contract last summer like they always do. He thinks this was an insult to him or undercut his authority?

Will they offer him an extension since he made the playoffs? Or will they tell him no exstention until,he actually wins a playoff game? Or is he so pissed that he will say he is going to look at all options and see who else is interested in his services?

I have zero doubt that should he be released or quit, he will get multiple offers elsewhere. Probably for more money, probably for more control….which all coaches. This, plus the negotiating with Rudolph, is going to make for an interesting few weeks ahead.

Pittsburgh sports dude Pompiani laughed this off saying that Tomlin felt this wasn’t the appropriate time to discuss this.

But Tomlin looked downright angry to me. Maybe he is angry they didn’t extend his contract last summer like they always do. He thinks this was an insult to him or undercut his authority?

Will they offer him an extension since he made the playoffs? Or will they tell him no exstention until,he actually wins a playoff game? Or is he so pissed that he will say he is going to look at all options and see who else is interested in his services?

I have zero doubt that should he be released or quit, he will get multiple offers elsewhere. Probably for more money, probably for more control….which all coaches. This, plus the negotiating with Rudolph, is going to make for an interesting few weeks ahead.
I agree with Pompiani. The team was 100% consumed with preparation for the final push and the playoff game. They were just minutes from losing and were gutted. They played really hard but were completely undermanned. They played with the second team QB because the starter that was given to him by the GM wasn't cutting it.

He shouldn't have stormed off but followed Jerry Jones' lead in saying something like "we'll do a stem to stern review and see where we can get better as a team. But we just lost a playoff game that we put our whole hearts and souls into. We will now be scheduling several surgeries that players put off having until the off season. When the timing is right, I am sure the GM will have more to say but this isn't the time or place."

The media member knew that. It was a dick question, IMHO.

Bo Pelini. Nebraska has not had a 9 win season since firing Bo.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

What has Vrabel won? If you take out Tomlin's Super Bowl win, and just look at the last five years Tomlin's Steelers had 48 wins to Vrabel's 45. I've got no problem with Pitt saying they are stale and need to move on but they'd have to hit a home run. The coach's bar would be to make it to the AFC championship game, at least.

Steelers were formidable after they canned Canada. They also had a lot of injuries. I'd give him another year, at least.

They averaged less than 20 ppg even after they canned him and only scored 17 in the two games over than stretch against playoff teams (one resting starters).
Scores went down around the league due to a) QBs getting hurt and b) weather. Regardless, the goal is to win not score points. Najee was a bad draft pick and Pickett isn't much better. All you can do is coach up the guys on the field.

I get the fan's frustration but I don't know who can be better. I heard several talking heads and players and I haven't heard a single person not supporting Tomlin.

Scores went down around the league due to a) QBs getting hurt and b) weather. Regardless, the goal is to win not score points. Najee was a bad draft pick and Pickett isn't much better. All you can do is coach up the guys on the field.

I get the fan's frustration but I don't know who can be better. I heard several talking heads and players and I haven't heard a single person not supporting Tomlin.

I’m not a Steelers fan I just think describing them as formidable post Canada is putting lipstick on a pig. The only playoff team they played in that stretch during the regular season was the ravens in week 18 minus a bunch of starters. If you include the playoffs they were 4-4 including losses to the 4-13 patriots and 4-13 cardinals. 3 of the 4 wins were against backup QBs.

If you consider those results formidable then Franklin’s running an absolute juggernaut.

Mike Macdonald from Baltimore could be a good fit based on how the Steelers like to play football and what you need to do to be successful in the division.

Reactions: bytir

Why do you think they aren't criticizing him?
We all know Belichick, Carroll and Vrabel were fired despite being great coaches. Why is Tomlin not held accountable?

Then you don't know a single soul in Pittsburgh. That's the place that matters.

Just some facts

Steelers haven't won a playoff game since 2016--a large majority of that time was with a future HOF QB
Steelers have been outscored 66-0 in the first quarter of their last 5 playoff games. That's unacceptable
Steelers are the first team in NFL HISTORY to allow 31+ points in 5 straight playoff games.

Would any other coach survive that? Belichick, who is far more accomplished, got fired for less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT