ADVERTISEMENT

As devastating as that loss was, here are some positives:

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
I went to bed extremely frustrated and disappointed. The game was all but won up 12 with 7 plus minutes left in the game. Well, we know what happened, so I won't rehash. Point is, this program is so much farther ahead of where anyone could possibly imagine since we suffered crippling sanctions. Anyway, no sane person is jumping ship on CJF and this team, so we have to consider positives right now. Here are some:
1. Pat Freiermuth - Kid is a flat out STUD. Made some great catches and not only that, he appears to be the complete package because his blocking was outstanding as well.
2. KJ Hamler - Apart from our Senior QB, kid was the biggest playmaker on BOTH sides of the field. Losing him for even part of the game was crushing. He will win many games for us during his career.
3. John Reid appears to be back. Yes, I know, I know, he pathetically whiffed on that tackle on the late TD and it was quite lame. Setting aside that single play for a moment, he was right on his man in coverage for pretty much the entire game. We hadn't seen that from him until last night. He is back and by back I mean he's back to being a lockdown CB. Bodes well for the rest of the season.
4. Our offensive line is still pretty damn good. Yes, Chase Young caused some problems, but overall we are light years ahead on the OL from where we were even last year.

So let's not give up the fight. ROAR LIONS ROAR!!!

I’m not sure what you folks see in John Reid. I don’t think he is very good.

And no mention of punting. It was huge last night. OSU punter is a weapon. NFL caliber punter. Blake isn’t a very good punter IMO.

Reactions: Novalions

And no mention of punting. It was huge last night. OSU punter is a weapon. NFL caliber punter. Blake isn’t a very good punter IMO.

Blake has been great his whole career.... but he was awful last night

Blake has been bad at other times this year. That’s disappointing because I assumed that would be a strength this year

Freiermuth should have been used alot more,. especially late.

Not so sure about the line, because I refuse to believe the TCU running backs were that much better than Miles.

Reactions: Omar81
I went to bed extremely frustrated and disappointed. The game was all but won up 12 with 7 plus minutes left in the game. Well, we know what happened, so I won't rehash. Point is, this program is so much farther ahead of where anyone could possibly imagine since we suffered crippling sanctions. Anyway, no sane person is jumping ship on CJF and this team, so we have to consider positives right now. Here are some:
1. Pat Freiermuth - Kid is a flat out STUD. Made some great catches and not only that, he appears to be the complete package because his blocking was outstanding as well.
2. KJ Hamler - Apart from our Senior QB, kid was the biggest playmaker on BOTH sides of the field. Losing him for even part of the game was crushing. He will win many games for us during his career.
3. John Reid appears to be back. Yes, I know, I know, he pathetically whiffed on that tackle on the late TD and it was quite lame. Setting aside that single play for a moment, he was right on his man in coverage for pretty much the entire game. We hadn't seen that from him until last night. He is back and by back I mean he's back to being a lockdown CB. Bodes well for the rest of the season.
4. Our offensive line is still pretty damn good. Yes, Chase Young caused some problems, but overall we are light years ahead on the OL from where we were even last year.

Couldn't agree more on #s1 and 2. Not sure yet about #3. And couldn't disagree more with #4. Thought the OL was abused much of the night. And that was without OSU's best d-lineman playing and one of their other top linemen missing at least some of the game. Much of McSorley's rushing yardage came as a result of the pocket collapsing almost immediately and him having to run for his life. And the OL got zero push for the running game all night. A grade of F if you ask me and that might be being generous.

IMO Reid was one of our top defensive players two years ago. Not so good this year for some reason but he played well at spots last night. Castro fileds, on the other hand....

Gilikin has been great for PSU. He struggled early last night but came up big at the end. A booming 55 yard punt and a punt that pinned OSU inside their own 5 yard line. Gilikin is an excellent punter.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Gilikin was bad for part of the game but much better in the second half. He also did his job and pinned tOSU deep at the 3-4 yd line late. He is just fine. The tOSU punter was outstanding all night and probably gets their game ball, but that doesn't change the fact that Gilikin is a strength, not a weakness.
As for those still killing Reid, look at his coverage all night. Spot on. The tape shows it.

Actually BG is a very good punter who did not have his best game last night. That hurt us.

No moral victories after blowing a two score 4th quarter lead to the same team twice in back to back season.

Compared with how JR29 performed in games 1-4, last night - with the exception of a couple plays, he played well ...

My problem was TCF5 on the final two drives... dreadful

Reactions: EPC FAN
Compared with how JR29 performed in games 1-4, last night - with the exception of a couple plays, he played well ...

My problem was TCF5 on the final two drives... dreadful

That's fair. I still like TCF5 though overall. The entire secondary couldn't tackle an old lady on the last two drives. That was tough to watch. But, hey, we were talking positives!!!

Have to question #4. Our OL can not run block for sh*t. One of the best RB's in the Big 10 gets 43 yards on 16 carries for a 2.7 average. The Buckeyes owned us at the LOS when it came to the run game. And, it wasn't just Chase Young doing all the damage. Their entire DL and LB's stuffed us in the run game. Thank God for Trace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT