ADVERTISEMENT

Some positives

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Coming into the season I had some concerns at DT, K, and P.

DTs have held up well against the run. Felkins is now 14-17 (82%) with a long of 50. He was only 67% at Columbia. Thompson has averaged 45 yds per punt which isn't bad for a rugby style kicker.

I think I heard someone saying Michigan ran the ball 32 straight times. I don't think anything has changed at DT. If you don't subtract sacks from running game it probably would tell a different story.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
10-2 is a great record. I do not understand how anyone with any knowledge of college football thinks otherwise.
In the college football world of 2023, where there is so much more parity than during the Paterno years, 10-2 is a great record on the surface; college football now is more like the NFL, where even the best teams are going to lose at least one or two games a season.

However, not all 10-2 records are the same. If PSU had achieved a 10-2 record this season by beating OSU and/or Michigan, I believe that almost everybody would be happy with that. The disappoitment with this season is that the Big 10 is as down as it's been probably since PSU started playing Big 10 ball, and, at least with PSU's defense, both OSU and Michigan were eminently beatable even with our ridiculous offensive scheme.

I previously posted that if PSU did not beat either OSU or Michigan, this season should be considered a failure regardless of whether we finish 10-2. While saying that, and considering that we played this season with a first-year starting qb who clearly is a work in progress and obviously wasn't ready to beat the big teams, I definitely would gladly accept 10-2 and a NY6 bowl with the understanding that beginning next season, the ultimate endings of most seasons must be the playoffs.

In the college football world of 2023, where there is so much more parity than during the Paterno years, 10-2 is a great record on the surface; college football now is more like the NFL, where even the best teams are going to lose at least one or two games a season.

However, not all 10-2 records are the same. If PSU had achieved a 10-2 record this season by beating OSU and/or Michigan, I believe that almost everybody would be happy with that. The disappoitment with this season is that the Big 10 is as down as it's been probably since PSU started playing Big 10 ball, and, at least with PSU's defense, both OSU and Michigan were eminently beatable even with our ridiculous offensive scheme.

I previously posted that if PSU did not beat either OSU or Michigan, this season should be considered a failure regardless of whether we finish 10-2. While saying that, and considering that we played this season with a first-year starting qb who clearly is a work in progress and obviously wasn't ready to beat the big teams, I definitely would gladly accept 10-2 and a NY6 bowl with the understanding that beginning next season, the ultimate endings of most seasons must be the playoffs.
I would not be happy by beating two top five teams but losing to say 2 unranked teams. It would to me be worse.

By every single account this was Franklins most Talented Team. 10-2 is a failure by every single metric.
Yeah, but this PSU team offensively didn't have anywhere near the talent that the 2016 and 2017 teams did. If you could have combined the 2017 offense with this season's defense, PSU probably would've played for the National Championship this season.

By every single account this was Franklins most Talented Team. 10-2 is a failure by every single metric.

Most talented where?

QB - high potential, not come to fruition yet
RB - best since '19, but not better than Brown/Cain yet
WR - perhaps weakest of Franklin era
TE - less than last year
OL - hyped up, didn't live up to it, but not brutally bad
DL - better than expected, but not dominant outside of edge rushers
LB - best of Franklin era, depth questionable
CB - good, not great.
S - youth movement. No Brisker, no Tig, '24 will be better

Just curious how you got this was Franklin's most talented team.

I think I heard someone saying Michigan ran the ball 32 straight times. I don't think anything has changed at DT. If you don't subtract sacks from running game it probably would tell a different story.
I think there has been somewhat of an improvement at DT from last year but you make a good point about the sack yardage. Our DEs have been excellent.

Another positive is the safety Winston. He's been great the little time he has been in and has been a very sure tackler.

FRANKLIN>>>>>What a smug arrogant scumbag he is. Walks out of press conference and cockily says to reporters " Thanks for the 1 question on Rutgers " Smartass loser

FRANKLIN>>>>>What a smug arrogant scumbag he is. Walks out of press conference and cockily says to reporters " Thanks for the 1 question on Rutgers " Smartass loser
Why do reporters even cover football coaches' press conferences? They're nothing but a useless exercise. The coaches always talk about the upcoming opponent as if they're the best team to ever play football. I'm sure that these reporters all have inside sources from whom they can get the truth.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
The B1G is abysmal this year. I can't remember the last time that only 3 B1G teams were in the Top 25.
PSU's best win is Iowa - currently ranked 26 in AP (23 in coaches)and they would not be close to that if the B1G had a pulse this year. PSU should finish with 10 wins while beating 0 or 1 team in the Top25 and only 1 team in the Top 35(at least). No other B1G team is even receiving votes in the AP.

Leading up to tOSU, many of us said that the PSU offense was not good and the games against tOSU/scUM were going to be long shots. Unfortunately we were correct. While the D kept the scores close, it was clear (even at 14-9 against scUM) that the offense was unlikely to produce a win (The only chance was the D putting up points).

In the end, people are frustrated at 10-2 because this team is not competitive against good teams. We have an $8.5M head coach who doesn't understand how to apply analytics, a roster of 4* players and a 5* QB, and they are producing poor football.

For me personally, I wouldn't be as critical if PSU was playing good football and simply getting beat by good tOSU and scUM teams. But the reality is that the 2023 offense is not competitive against a decent defense and even showed it's ineptitude against bad teams. Last year we seemed to have a reprieve from poor coaching calls, but they have reemerged this year. Against scUM, the 2pt conversion and the 4th down call in our own territory were bad. Even more ridiculous was Franklin saying the Analytics dictated those decisions. Let me just say that he is either not being honest, or he is horribly incompetent. The PSU offense is not good. The analytics only hold up if the team is competent. Just before the 2pt try, we watched 5 plays inside the 5yd line gain 1 yd - on a QB sneak.
I say this to JF: The overall analytics may say go for two, but the reason you are making $8.5M is to field a team capable of playing to the analytics, and if they can't, your job is to make in-game decisions that reflect the team's strengths/weaknesses and gives them the best chance to succeed. Like in the infamous 6-4 game, Ferentz took a safety and kicked to PSU b/c he knew the PSU Defense was more likely to put points up against his offense that was just as bad as PSU's.

In 2023, the PSU offense is not a strength. The defense IS. Against scUM the "analytics" say to give your defense the best chance to make plays and win you the game. That means you kick the extra point and it means you don't go for it on 4th down at your own ~30 with several minutes remaining. You punt and give your defense a chance to get you the ball back, or even force a turnover.

I'm not a football coach and I know this. These are not hard decisions. Playing to your strengths is not a hard concept. It shouldn't be hard for a coach making $8.5M either.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
The B1G is abysmal this year. I can't remember the last time that only 3 B1G teams were in the Top 25.
PSU's best win is Iowa - currently ranked 26 in AP (23 in coaches)and they would not be close to that if the B1G had a pulse this year. PSU should finish with 10 wins while beating 0 or 1 team in the Top25 and only 1 team in the Top 35(at least). No other B1G team is even receiving votes in the AP.

Leading up to tOSU, many of us said that the PSU offense was not good and the games against tOSU/scUM were going to be long shots. Unfortunately we were correct. While the D kept the scores close, it was clear (even at 14-9 against scUM) that the offense was unlikely to produce a win (The only chance was the D putting up points).

In the end, people are frustrated at 10-2 because this team is not competitive against good teams. We have an $8.5M head coach who doesn't understand how to apply analytics, a roster of 4* players and a 5* QB, and they are producing poor football.

For me personally, I wouldn't be as critical if PSU was playing good football and simply getting beat by good tOSU and scUM teams. But the reality is that the 2023 offense is not competitive against a decent defense and even showed it's ineptitude against bad teams. Last year we seemed to have a reprieve from poor coaching calls, but they have reemerged this year. Against scUM, the 2pt conversion and the 4th down call in our own territory were bad. Even more ridiculous was Franklin saying the Analytics dictated those decisions. Let me just say that he is either not being honest, or he is horribly incompetent. The PSU offense is not good. The analytics only hold up if the team is competent. Just before the 2pt try, we watched 5 plays inside the 5yd line gain 1 yd - on a QB sneak.
I say this to JF: The overall analytics may say go for two, but the reason you are making $8.5M is to field a team capable of playing to the analytics, and if they can't, your job is to make in-game decisions that reflect the team's strengths/weaknesses and gives them the best chance to succeed. Like in the infamous 6-4 game, Ferentz took a safety and kicked to PSU b/c he knew the PSU Defense was more likely to put points up against his offense that was just as bad as PSU's.

In 2023, the PSU offense is not a strength. The defense IS. Against scUM the "analytics" say to give your defense the best chance to make plays and win you the game. That means you kick the extra point and it means you don't go for it on 4th down at your own ~30 with several minutes remaining. You punt and give your defense a chance to get you the ball back, or even force a turnover.

I'm not a football coach and I know this. These are not hard decisions. Playing to your strengths is not a hard concept. It shouldn't be hard for a coach making $8.5M either.
Right on!

Most talented where?

TE - less than last year
CB - good, not great.

All B1G analysts, all national analysts, and all Fox analysts, and Todd Blackledge, Joel Klatt, all ESPN GameDay analysts, basically everyone who is not you. Clown.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I think someone fooled you. Going into the season, we all knew we were weak at WR and were breaking in a new QB. We also thought we'd be weak stopping the run at DT and in the kicking game.

I think the run D and FG kicking have overperformed. I think our WRs are killing us. And that has led to a lackluster running game and Allar underperforming against the better teams. I also feel that we were unfortunate to have to play tOSU away and UM at home after the Harbaugh situation codified their team. tOSU really improved as the year went by and is really tough to beat in the shoe. I'll bet they haven't lost more than two or three games at home in the last 20 years.

10-2 is just about what everyone in the free world predicted.

All B1G analysts, all national analysts, and all Fox analysts, and Todd Blackledge, Joel Klatt, all ESPN GameDay analysts, basically everyone who is not you. Clown.

Clown? Are you bluehair?

You got eyes, doncha? If you think this is the best team of the Franklin era...I don't know what else to say. I asked for your input. Not "tv personality" crap that they didn't even say.

Shame you can't engage in conversation. Keep on believing.

Reactions: 81b&w
Clown? Are you bluehair?

You got eyes, doncha? If you think this is the best team of the Franklin era...I don't know what else to say. I asked for your input. Not "tv personality" crap that they didn't even say.

Shame you can't engage in conversation. Keep on believing.
your analysis was spot on. the only question is you calling the CB's good, not great. If you look at the general positions:

• QB - JJ is best, McCord second, Allar last (but he's a year younger and JJ is a second year starter)
  • RB - UM, PSU, tOSU
  • WR - tOSU, UM, PSU (by a long shot)
  • OL - UM, tOSU, PSU
  • TE - PSU, UM, tOSU but its tight (pardon the pun)
  • DL - Toss up but I'd go PSU, UM, tOSU
  • LB - PSU, UM, tOSU
  • Secondary - tOSU, PSU, UM
  • Special Teams - tOSU, UM, PSU
Very few predicted PSU to do anything but have a two loss season. as the NFL coach said, you are what your record says you are

It is. I don't need to look at the schedule, I've seen every game.
Then you'd agree that we haven't beat anyone to get excited about. We lose every game that's a challenge.
Iowa may go 10-2 and we know why that is.
I'm still not sure why you refuse to accept that our schedule is why we're 10-2. We beat bad (or average) teams as we're a good team that's not great or elite.
Too many in this fan base accept mediocrity.

Reactions: Grass and hoflane
your analysis was spot on. the only question is you calling the CB's good, not great. If you look at the general positions:

• QB - JJ is best, McCord second, Allar last (but he's a year younger and JJ is a second year starter)
  • RB - UM, PSU, tOSU
  • WR - tOSU, UM, PSU (by a long shot)
  • OL - UM, tOSU, PSU
  • TE - PSU, UM, tOSU but its tight (pardon the pun)
  • DL - Toss up but I'd go PSU, UM, tOSU
  • LB - PSU, UM, tOSU
  • Secondary - tOSU, PSU, UM
  • Special Teams - tOSU, UM, PSU
Very few predicted PSU to do anything but have a two loss season. as the NFL coach said, you are what your record says you are
Ohio State has the best back. Maybe the worst trio but the best back so that's a tough one to rank.
Next year there's no excuse not to beat Ohio State but I'm also not optimistic after this year.

The CBS breakdown of Penn State

The Nittany Lions played Michigan hard, and as they seemingly always do, they lost. Coach James Franklin dropped to 4-16 vs. the Wolverines and Buckeyes. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurich was fired afterwards. Penn State hopes Iowa keeps winning at least until the Big Ten title game because that is its only quality win

Let's stop pretending that just because you watch games that makes bad teams good.

Most talented where?

TE - less than last year
CB - good, not great.

I would say it might be his deepest team but not likely his most talented team.

I think someone fooled you. Going into the season, we all knew we were weak at WR and were breaking in a new QB. We also thought we'd be weak stopping the run at DT and in the kicking game.

I think the run D and FG kicking have overperformed. I think our WRs are killing us. And that has led to a lackluster running game and Allar underperforming against the better teams. I also feel that we were unfortunate to have to play tOSU away and UM at home after the Harbaugh situation codified their team. tOSU really improved as the year went by and is really tough to beat in the shoe. I'll bet they haven't lost more than two or three games at home in the last 20 years.

10-2 is just about what everyone in the free world predicted.
Not sure what you mean obvli. I wasn't fooled. I was describing why people are not happy with "another" 10-2 season. I agree with everything you stated and have said as much in other threads. The WRs are brutal. I can't tell you exactly why, but they are. The wildcard in all of this is the info that MY created a tocxic environment. IDK why it was different last year, but if it's true, then we'll see if anything changes in the last couple games.

Respectfully, if you've watched every game and are happy with the offense and the coaching and don't realize how far PSU is below tOSU/UM and how far below PSU the rest of the league is, there isn't much else to discuss.

Last edited:
Respectfully, if you've watched every game and are happy with the offense and the coaching and don't realize how far PSU is below tOSU/UM and how far below PSU the rest of the league is, there is much else to discuss.
He's going to say they were basically one score games and it's not realistic for us to contend yearly or be elite--he may even blame the sanctions.

Reactions: hoflane
Here is my team positive coaching negative.

If you kick the extra point before halftime it’s 17-10 with 4 minutes and change against a very good team and a possible opportunity to have a great finish.

If you play to your strength and punt the ball. MI either runs out the clock or you force the put you are putting one of your most explosive players on the field to return the punt.

The CBS breakdown of Penn State

The Nittany Lions played Michigan hard, and as they seemingly always do, they lost. Coach James Franklin dropped to 4-16 vs. the Wolverines and Buckeyes. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurich was fired afterwards. Penn State hopes Iowa keeps winning at least until the Big Ten title game because that is its only quality win

Let's stop pretending that just because you watch games that makes bad teams good.
Why don't you try to not use the word "pretend" for one week. I'm not sure if you can make it a day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT