ADVERTISEMENT

Some positives

What? That's not coherent English. You said "bowl games should be optionally because players aren't enrolled." That is incorrect because MOST players (unless they are graduating in December) enroll for Spring semester in September. So they have already enrolled for the spring when bowls come around (i.e. there is no gap in enrollment like you insinuated).

LOL. Get real.

I do. You are moving towards a basketball model where all that matters is how well you are playing at the end of the year. I hate that. Losing to a crappy team (or three) at the beginning of the year matters.
Replace month with both I apologize. They aren't enrolled. You said "most" the guys we're discussing aren't. They're either entering the draft or the portal

How don't others have a real playoff?

Why do you hate that? We have an undefeated team in FSU that could easily get left out simply because you're clinging to the past with the bowls.

You said "bowl games should be optionally because players aren't enrolled."

I played basketball. The season went November to March and we played games between semesters. I'm pretty sure if I told the coach I didn't want to play over the holidays (between semesters) he'd have kicked me off the team.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I mean, we'd have to split FBS into 2 levels if there's never going to be more than an 8 team playoff
That's fine. Or you can stay with the "best G5 team makes it" which still gives every team a chance, but acknowledges that most G5 teams are not on the same level.
So, you think a kid would rather take a trip then get to play against Georgia for a chance at an upset? Wow
I think it depends. I think the number of times the #1 seed beats the #32 seed is 9999 out of 10000.
No team wouldn't want to play in a playoff. If so, they shouldn't be playing sports at that level.
No team shouldn't want to play in a bowl game (when the option is not playing a game at all) but you seem to be all for that. If you don't want to compete with your teammates you shouldn't be playing sports at that level.

You said "bowl games should be optionally because players aren't enrolled."

I played basketball. The season went November to March and we played games between semesters. I'm pretty sure if I told the coach I didn't want to play over the holidays (between semesters) he'd have kicked me off the team.
You're still enrolled in the fall/spring. They guys were talking about are done with college--at least at Penn State and aren't returning for the spring. There's nothing to kick them off of. We're not talking about a sophomore that doesn't want to go--he needs the practices. We're talking about Olu, Chop, other guys entering the draft and those going to the portal

That's fine. Or you can stay with the "best G5 team makes it" which still gives every team a chance, but acknowledges that most G5 teams are not on the same level.

I think it depends. I think the number of times the #1 seed beats the #32 seed is 9999 out of 10000.

No team shouldn't want to play in a bowl game (when the option is not playing a game at all) but you seem to be all for that. If you don't want to compete with your teammates you shouldn't be playing sports at that level.
And you think a competitor is going to pass in that 1/10000 chance for a vacation?
How often do you see people saying "we shouldn't go to the bowl" because it's not a good one. Most programs go simply because of the conference tie in and the obligation. They season is over--those going pro or go to the portal are no longer their teammates. Players accept this game for what it is. Why can't fans

Do you think there's legitimately Penn State players right now that are happy we aren't in the playoff and think playing Texas in a bowl game is so much better? Who needs to stress of an important game and the opportunity to get a second shot at Michigan or Ohio State. Let's hang out in the desert.

Replace month with both I apologize.
No, that's not what I said. I said registration for the spring happens in September. Registration for the Fall happens in June (I think). So well before the bowl games happen a student who isn't graduating in December (i..e most of the team) IS enrolled for Spring semester. Your argument is nonsensical.
They aren't enrolled. You said "most" the guys we're discussing aren't. They're either entering the draft or the portal
When did you limit this to certain guys? You said "players aren't enrolled during bowl season." That is false.
How don't others have a real playoff?
What others?
Why do you hate that? We have an undefeated team in FSU that could easily get left out simply because you're clinging to the past with the bowls.
Having too many teams in the playoff dilutes it. It makes your accomplishments during the regular season less important. Having a 3 loss team win the national championship would be a farce.

Reactions: Psubiomed
You're still enrolled in the fall/spring. They guys were talking about are done with college--at least at Penn State and aren't returning for the spring. There's nothing to kick them off of. We're not talking about a sophomore that doesn't want to go--he needs the practices. We're talking about Olu, Chop, other guys entering the draft and those going to the portal
No, I was talking about all players. You moved the goalposts to make it only about December graduations (either that or you are horrible at writing, which is also a possibility).

No, that's not what I said. I said registration for the spring happens in September. Registration for the Fall happens in June (I think). So well before the bowl games happen a student who isn't graduating in December (i..e most of the team) IS enrolled for Spring semester. Your argument is nonsensical.

When did you limit this to certain guys? You said "players aren't enrolled during bowl season." That is false.

What others?

Having too many teams in the playoff dilutes it. It makes your accomplishments during the regular season less important. Having a 3 loss team win the national championship would be a farce.
The argument isn't nonsensical. Is Olu enrolled for the spring? Is Chop? If not, why do you think they need to play?
I've always limited it to who won't be back. What are you talking about.
It doesn't dilute anything. The purpose of a regular season is simply to make the playoffs. You have the false belief that limiting the teams that make the playoffs makes the regular season more valuable when it fact it reduces the importance of most games.

No, I was talking about all players. You moved the goalposts to make it only about December graduations (either that or you are horrible at writing, which is also a possibility).
Why are you talking about all players? This is about people who may not play? Are you that aware your argument makes no sense that you're now trying to claim this is about freshman skipping a game.

This has always been about Olu Chop etc not Allar for example--unless he goes to the portal

And you think a competitor is going to pass in that 1/10000 chance for a vacation?
Perhaps. I can tell you that going to the Boca Raton Bowl in December is far more appealing to most kids than going to Ann Arbor or Columbus or State College to get physically destroyed for 3 hours in a snowstorm.
How often do you see people saying "we shouldn't go to the bowl" because it's not a good one.
Uh, never? Only idiots on message boards say that.
Most programs go simply because of the conference tie in and the obligation.
Incorrect. Bowl practices and extra game reps are extremely important for next year, as is the additional team bonding that is unique to a bowl trip.
They season is over--those going pro or go to the portal are no longer their teammates.
The season isn't over until after the bowl games. Those going pro and those not yet in the portal can still play. And should still play if they value being a good teammate.
Players accept this game for what it is. Why can't fans
Players do accept the bowls for what they are. They like them. Find me a player who doesn't like bowl games?
Do you think there's legitimately Penn State players right now that are happy we aren't in the playoff and think playing Texas in a bowl game is so much better? Who needs to stress of an important game and the opportunity to get a second shot at Michigan or Ohio State. Let's hang out in the desert.
You are moving the goalposts again! PSU is not a #32 seeded G5 team. God, your argument style is like talking to toddler with ADHD.

The argument isn't nonsensical. Is Olu enrolled for the spring? Is Chop? If not, why do you think they need to play?
They don't *need* to play but they may want to play if they value being a good teammate.
I've always limited it to who won't be back. What are you talking about.
Then you are the worst communicator on this board and that's stayin something.
It doesn't dilute anything. The purpose of a regular season is simply to make the playoffs.
Incorrect. The purpose of a season is to compete to wins games. Every game. If you make the playoffs, great. If you don't you are still competing. This was on full display last weekend when a lot of the rivalry games (which were mostly between one team that is competing for the playoff and one that isn't) were very competitive and very close. Because players realize it is NOT all about the playoff. It is about competition and rivalries and fandom and having fun with your teammates.
You have the false belief that limiting the teams that make the playoffs makes the regular season more valuable when it fact it reduces the importance of most games.
How so? This is a terrible argument lacking in any logical foundation.

Perhaps. I can tell you that going to the Boca Raton Bowl in December is far more appealing to most kids than going to Ann Arbor or Columbus or State College to get physically destroyed for 3 hours in a snowstorm.

Uh, never? Only idiots on message boards say that.

Incorrect. Bowl practices and extra game reps are extremely important for next year, as is the additional team bonding that is unique to a bowl trip.

The season isn't over until after the bowl games. Those going pro and those not yet in the portal can still play. And should still play if they value being a good teammate.

Players do accept the bowls for what they are. They like them. Find me a player who doesn't like bowl games?

You are moving the goalposts again! PSU is not a #32 seeded G5 team. God, your argument style is like talking to toddler with ADHD.
They shouldn't be on the team if they want a vacation over playing Michigan again. Maybe that's why we aren't elite.
People say that all the time and then I (and others) explain why we can't skip a bowl
The extra practices are great. The game reps and trip aren't and most programs lose money with the bowl games.
The season is over--the bowl game isn't part of it. It's a reward. Their teammates have proven over the years they don't care. So why do you?
They'd rather be in a playoff
Okay, so New Mexico State would rather stay home (basically) to play Boise State rather than getting a shot at Georgia? Really?

They don't *need* to play but they may want to play if they value being a good teammate.

Then you are the worst communicator on this board and that's stayin something.

Incorrect. The purpose of a season is to compete to wins games. Every game. If you make the playoffs, great. If you don't you are still competing. This was on full display last weekend when a lot of the rivalry games (which were mostly between one team that is competing for the playoff and one that isn't) were very competitive and very close. Because players realize it is NOT all about the playoff. It is about competition and rivalries and fandom and having fun with your teammates.

How so? This is a terrible argument lacking in any logical foundation.
Were do you think their teammates care?
I'm not--you just don't like the argument being made so you make it about something it's not when the topic is clear. It's because you don't actually follow the thread but pick up randomly somewhere and start replying.
The purpose of a season is to win a title. Nothing else.
This past weekend, how important would all those games have been for seeding and other teams but instead they meant nothing. All that changed was Louisville was eliminated. Great games that would have had so much more impactful with a larger playoff. Including our game against Michigan State has we fight for a birth and seeding.

They're is meaning to winning a title.
Being unaware of something, just like caring about something, doesn't alter meaning
There aren't people that do--there are people that don't like what college football is becoming so they cling to bowl games mattering as a tie to the past and what they loved about the sport.
Again, you don't determine it. I don't determine it. The NCAA has with a playoff.
And kids are gonna skip the playoffs if they're planning on going pro so to them the playoffs will be meaningless as well

Reactions: GSPMax
Were do you think their teammates care?
Should that be a "why"? God, your typos are exhausting. Why? Because I've been on many teams and I know what it means to be a teammate. You clearly do not.
I'm not--you just don't like the argument being made so you make it about something it's not when the topic is clear.
Incorrect. You are shit at communicating your point.
It's because you don't actually follow the thread but pick up randomly somewhere and start replying.
LOL. Completely untrue.
The purpose of a season is to win a title. Nothing else.
Wrong. The purpose of a season is to:
1) Win games
2) Get better as a player
3) Get better as a person/teammate
4) Compete for a conference title.
5) Win post-season games.
This past weekend, how important would all those games have been for seeding and other teams but instead they meant nothing. All that changed was Louisville was eliminated. Great games that would have had so much more impactful with a larger playoff. Including our game against Michigan State has we fight for a birth and seeding.
This tells me that you didn't watch these games. Those players, especially the players who were on the lesser teams, care A LOT.

And kids are gonna skip the playoffs if they're planning on going pro so to them the playoffs will be meaningless as well
Great point. If you are a 12 seed it seems like your top guys might sit out the playoff for the same reason they might sit out a bowl game.

Reactions: wilbury and 81b&w
They shouldn't be on the team if they want a vacation over playing Michigan again. Maybe that's why we aren't elite.
They shouldn't be on the team if the would consider sitting out a bowl game unless injured.
People say that all the time and then I (and others) explain why we can't skip a bowl
No one wants to skip a bowl. You are insane.
The extra practices are great. The game reps and trip aren't
How are the game reps and trip not great???
and most programs lose money with the bowl games.
I don't think is true. Perhaps *some* programs, but not most programs.
The season is over--the bowl game isn't part of it.
Incorrect. Bowls are part of the season. As much as you hate it, they are. They count towards season records, statistical records and count for bragging rights. They also matter to recruits.
It's a reward.
Correct.
Their teammates have proven over the years they don't care.
Very few teammates (percentage wise) feel that way.
So why do you?
Because I understand what it is to be a good teammate. Your beer league teammates must hate you
They'd rather be in a playoff
Than be a 32 seed? I don't think you can unilaterally say that.
Okay, so New Mexico State would rather stay home (basically) to play Boise State rather than getting a shot at Georgia? Really?
Feel free to make up whatever scenario you think makes your point. but your point is a silly one.

This past weekend, how important would all those games have been for seeding and other teams but instead they meant nothing
Counterpoint: With an expanded playoff, that Ohio State - Michigan game would have meant nothing.

In college football, the regular season IS the playoff. The old system pre-playoff and pre-BCS is far better than the mess we'll have next season.

Counterpoint: With an expanded playoff, that Ohio State - Michigan game would have meant nothing.

In college football, the regular season IS the playoff. The old system pre-playoff and pre-BCS is far better than the mess we'll have next season.
it means a ton--it would be seeding
You're going to have to learn to accept change because it's only the beginning. We'll see 20 teams every soon

Feel free to make up whatever scenario you think makes your point. but your point is a silly one.
How is it a silly one? If NMSU beats Liberty--that is their reward as opposed to playing Georgia
How is that better?

We're going back and forth on the rest repeating the same thing

Pre-playoff and pre-BCS, the only thing that was needed was a plus 1. That would have clarified the 1994, 1968 and 1969 seasons. And it would have maintained the importance of the regular season.

This. Heaven forbid we have a sport where the regular season actually matters instead of the emphasis on a few games of crapshot playoffs.

We haven't seen a 12 team playoff yet either so you shouldn't say they won't because you have no idea
So you honestly believe kids are going to skip a playoff game to prepare for the draft?
And, if so, do you think that will be viewed the same way skipping bowl games are by NFL executives and others?
But sure--fair, we haven't see it but we have seen a playoff that no one has skipped a game yet

This. Heaven forbid we have a sport where the regular season actually matters instead of the emphasis on a few games of crapshot playoffs.
But we don't. FSU could go 13-0 and not make the playoff yet teams that lost get in
This entire belief that losing a single game should (or could) eliminate a team from a playoff is beyond ridiculous

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter. The playoff is expanding to 12 and will continue to grow so you all can cry about it or embrace it. Your call. I just better not see any of you celebrating making the playoff next year if we're not a top 4 seed. By your logic--we don't deserve it.

Pre-playoff and pre-BCS, the only thing that was needed was a plus 1. That would have clarified the 1994, 1968 and 1969 seasons. And it would have maintained the importance of the regular season.

To the extent that we "needed" something to "fix" college football, a "plus 1" with the matchup determined after the bowls would have solved like 95% of the real complaints. That was always my favored idea.

I hated going to a set playoff system as I knew it would continue to do what is indeed happening - making college football too much like the NFL and taking away everything that make it unique and special. Now instead of people and teams aiming to win as many games as possible and having a meaningful regular season, you just get all the attention on the boring assed playoff. Sigh.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter. The playoff is expanding to 12 and will continue to grow so you all can cry about it or embrace it. Your call. I just better not see any of you celebrating making the playoff next year if we're not a top 4 seed. By your logic--we don't deserve it.
You have no idea if it will continue to grow or not.

College football, reorganized and fixed:

Big Ten
Michigan, OSU, MSU, NW, Minn, Wisc, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue

SEC
Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Miss, Miss St, Tenn, Vandy, LSU, Florida, Kentucky

SWC
Texas, TA&M, Neb, Colorado, Ark, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, OK St, TT

ACC
Duke, UNC, NC St, Clemson, South Car, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, FSU, Wake

Big East
Penn St, Pitt, Miami, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Boston Coll, WVU, Syracuse, VT, Temple

Pac 10
USC, UCLA, AZ, AZ St, Oregon, Ore St, Washington, Wash St, Stanford, Cal

There would be other 10 team conferences that pick up the other schools. Each conference plays 9 conference games and declares a winner at the end of the regular season (no conf champ game). Winner of these 6 conferences have bowl tie ins (Rose would be Big Ten vs. Pac 10 champ, etc.) There would be two at-large teams that would be part of the major bowls. At the end of the bowls, the champs from the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange Bowls are in a four team playoff.

All fixed.

Big Ten

SEC

SWC

ACC
Duke, UNC, NC St, Clemson, South Car, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Maryland, FSU, Wake

Big East
Penn St, Pitt, Miami, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Boston Coll, WVU, Syracuse, VT, Temple

Pac 10

There would be other 10 team conferences that pick up the other schools. Each conference plays 9 conference games and declares a winner at the end of the regular season (no conf champ game). Winner of these 6 conferences have bowl tie ins (Rose would be Big Ten vs. Pac 10 champ, etc.) There would be two at-large teams that would be part of the major bowls. At the end of the bowls, the champs from the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange Bowls are in a four team playoff.

All fixed.
Hardly fixed. It does nothing to settle the money issues and no college president would agree to it other than the ones on the outside looking in.

Big Ten

SEC

SWC

ACC

Big East

Pac 10

All fixed.
Did you just want to make it as easy as possible for us? I don't think you're far off though. How is Temple BC or Syracuse even a thought? You'd be bored out of your mind with that schedule.

In reality--the SEC and Big Ten should leave the NCAA. The SEC adds FSU, Clemson, UNC and Va Tech. The Big Ten adds Notre Dame and Arizona (or Utah or Colorado--whatever school you want) which gives us 4 divisions of 10 Big Ten East/West. SEC East West. Would look like

Big Ten East: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern
Big Ten West: Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Arizona
SEC East: UNC, Va Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Missouri
SEC West: Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU and A&M

Top 3 make the playoffs in each division playing a different division that rotation. No eye test--no voting

Example (This year)
#2 Big Ten East vs. #3 SEC West (winner plays #1 SEC East) Ole Miss (sorry I had OU at first) at Ohio State (winner at Georgia)
#2 Big Ten West vs. #3 SEC East (winner plays #1 SEC West) Missouri at Oregon (winner at Texas)
#2 SEC East vs. #3 Big Ten West (winner plays #1 Big Ten West) Penn State at Florida State (winner at Washington)
#2 SEC West vs. #3 Big Ten East (winner play #1 Big Ten East) Arizona/Iowa at Alabama (winner at Michigan)

And the other teams can then have a second playoff for those finishing 4-6 or bowl games. In which most kids will opt out that are NFL ready.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT