ADVERTISEMENT

Are you content

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
with 10 -2, 11 -2 and New Year's six. Everyone else in the Big including newcomers would be delighted. Have we set expectations too high?

with 10 -2, 11 -2 and New Year's six. Everyone else in the Big including newcomers would be delighted. Have we set expectations too high?

USC definitely wouldn’t be. Doubt Oregon would be. Maybe Washington. UCLA sure.

Yes because starting next year that will be a yearly playoff birth and then everyone has a chip and a chair. I get as mad as anyone with the OSU/Michigan downfalls. But damn, someone please name me a coach that will come to PSU, face the same bs from the Board and Old Main, and constantly beat the two other teams.

Reactions: BOSCO2
Yes because starting next year that will be a yearly playoff birth and then everyone has a chip and a chair. I get as mad as anyone with the OSU/Michigan downfalls. But damn, someone please name me a coach that will come to PSU, face the same bs from the Board and Old Main, and constantly beat the two other teams.
Dude, who is talking constantly? Once every 7 years is not constantly. I think that is setting bar very low. OSU is heads and shoulders above us for two decades. We should have been in CFP before UM but we got passed, big time

Dude, who is talking constantly? Once every 7 years is not constantly. I think that is setting bar very low. OSU is heads and shoulders above us for two decades. We should have been in CFP before UM but we got passed, big time
Michigan returned to their cultural identity and it has served them well. We, PSU, tuck tale and run the opposite direction from our cultural identiry and then pretend that James Franklin essentially built this program into what it is……because we are scared of “controversy” surrounding a BS sanction/investigation I presume.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
OK, I will slow it down. What I said is name a person that can come here and do all of those things and beat the two others consistently. Counting a probably this year, Penn state would have been in 5 of the last 8 24 team playoffs. That is even counting the screw up covid year where we lost Journey to a heart condition and ****ed up Micah coming back and being dominant.

No one knows but you take the risk. See Smart.

Or you can be Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern and a bunch of others who would be delighted with 6 wins and a shot at a NYC bowl, or maybe Detroit in the dead of winter.
Based on what? Fear of being Nebraska?
It's not a realistic concern. A realistic concern is we no longer win 10 and fire them for a new coach.
The goal is win titles not be above average.

It's not THAT we lost to OSU it's HOW we lost. We dont deviate from the game plan even though its plain as day that what we're doing isnt working. Thats where my frustration with JF lies. But yeah, I think 10-2 with a NY6 game is a good season.

Michigan returned to their cultural identity and it has served them well. We, PSU, tuck tale and run the opposite direction from our cultural identiry and then pretend that James Franklin essentially built this program into what it is……because we are scared of “controversy” surrounding a BS sanction/investigation I presume.
That "controversy" and sanction/investigation was different level stuff. Of course it is an issue and Franklin does deserve some credit for building the program to where it is.

Reactions: mcpat
That "controversy" and sanction/investigation was different level stuff. Of course it is an issue and Franklin does deserve some credit for building the program to where it is.
You're right. He does but can he take it to the next level? That's the question

OK, I will slow it down. What I said is name a person that can come here and do all of those things and beat the two others consistently. Counting a probably this year, Penn state would have been in 5 of the last 8 24 team playoffs. That is even counting the screw up covid year where we lost Journey to a heart condition and ****ed up Micah coming back and being dominant.

No one is asking or expects Penn State to consistently beat Ohio State and Michigan.

We are asking and expect Penn State to be competitive. Coach Franklin losing an astounding 90% of his games against Ohio State is not competitive by any measure.

No one is asking or expects Penn State to consistently beat Ohio State and Michigan.

We are asking and expect Penn State to be competitive. Coach Franklin losing an astounding 90% of his games against Ohio State is not competitive by any measure.
Day is 5-0 against us and we're outscored in those games by 54. A new coach even with better talent shouldn't be doing that against any of the Big 3 in the Big Ten.

If we can’t play for a championship at once every 10 years than we need to go to the Ivy League where they play 9 games a year and never worry about any championships

Congratulations to "westcoast24 the wolverine" for making my 2 poster ignore list. This board just keeps getting better now ..

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
I don't think what I think affects the team's performance in any way. I want to win every game by 10 touchdowns, it never seems to happen so I try to enjoy what is a hobby.

Reactions: sss
I agree to disagree. Franklin didn’t “build” anything. He “improved” the facilities and took the “media” presence to a different level. He built “upon” a preexisting rock solid foundation.

The media “echo chambers” told the PSU faithful, repeatedly, the best thing for PSU was to move forward in a different direction. The PSU fan base to some degree bought into the media hoopla out of fear and uncertainty. The whole time there were plenty of faithful alumni willing to embrace the opportunity of being a head coach at PSU. Tom Bradley was passed on…Larry Johnson was passed on…anyone with ties was passed on by the “old guard” of PSU who desired complete control of the program.

Ohio State is the conference’s best team. No doubt. I’d obviously like to beat them too. But we fell behind when Meyer took over and with the Sandusky scandal and then being late to the game on NIL and other things.

I find it difficult to take seriously folks that think we’re not close though. I saw a stat today that showed Penn State tied with Michigan for closest score margin with Ohio State over the past ten years. 8 point something.

I’m very happy with 10-11 wins, a major bowl victory and top 10 ranking. I hope for more and it will be so sweet when it happens.

A lot of posts from folks about the 80s and how the program sat on top then. I guess everyone forgets 6-5 in 84 and 5-6 in 88. The team saw 8 or fewer wins in half the seasons in the 80s. When PSU ruled NCAA football.

Franklin has my support. I think he’s doing great.

• Sad
Ohio State is the conference’s best team. No doubt. Is obviously like to beat them too. But we fell behind when Meyer took over and with the Sandusky scandal and then being late to the game on NIL and other things.

I find it difficult to take seriously folks that think we’re not close though. I saw a stat today that showed Penn State tied with Michigan for closest score margin with Ohio State over the past ten years. 8 point something.

I’m very happy with 10-11 wins, a major bowl victory and top 10 ranking. I hope for more and it will be so sweet when it happens.

A lot of posts from folks about the 80s and how the program sat on top then. I guess everyone forgets 6-5 in 84 and 5-6 in 88. The team saw 8 or fewer wins in half the seasons in the 80s. When PSU ruled NCAA football.

Franklin has my support. I think he’s doing great.
Paterno was winning titles around bad seasons. You have more of a leash as that happens. Franklin isn't. Also, major bowls won't be a thing when the playoff expands. Not really a thing now but even less so next year. Franklin should have your support but ideally you'd also acknowledge he has to start doing better against the top teams to keep that support.

No. Unrealistic maybe. But I’ve said this a bunch of times before this team or this program will never be as good as I want it to be.

And were they happy those seasons or pissed?
You mad bro? We would be elite if we had more fans like these guys and you:

Crying%20Buckeye.11.jpg
wolverine.0.gif

Elite fans!

You mad bro? We would be elite if we had more fans like these guys and you:

Crying%20Buckeye.11.jpg
wolverine.0.gif

Elite fans!
Pretending I'm an Ohio State fan or a Michigan fan is tired
The reality is you know neither of those fan bases were happy with 3 loss seasons or worse so why should we be?

Who the hell is rejoicing after losing to OSU and Michigan? Just not into the hysterical let’s cut off our noses to spite our faces response.
You asked the wrong question. It should be have we set expectations too low.

You never see Ohio State or Michigan fans rejoicing after 2 losses.
e

Reactions: LandoComando
Who the hell is rejoicing after losing to OSU and Michigan? Just not into the hysterical let’s cut off our noses to spite our faces response.

e

I guess you missed all the rejoicing by some celebrating double digit wins and a great Rose Bowl victory last year. Totally ignoring the 2 beat downs by Ohio State and Michigan.

In fact, the same sentiment is starting to creep into this year with some fans already talking about how much of an achievement it would be if Penn State went 10-2 and was invited to the Rose Bowl again.

No one is hysterical. Many fans are just being realists by pointing out the areas of continuous underachievement by coach Franklin.

Reactions: MacNit2.0 and psu00
I guess you missed all the rejoicing by some celebrating double digit wins and a great Rose Bowl victory last year. Totally ignoring the 2 beat downs by Ohio State and Michigan.

You do remember that last year's team entered the season unranked and was coming off 7-6 and and 4-5 seasons the previous two years, right? Please link to where ever you predicted a Big Ten Championship and playoff birth prior to last season.

You do remember that last year's team entered the season unranked and was coming off 7-6 and and 4-5 seasons the previous two years, right? Please link to where ever you predicted a Big Ten Championship and playoff birth prior to last season.
And 10-2 last year was a huge step...this year was supposed to be the next step...maybe it still will be...all comes down to beating Michigan at home. Shouldn't have been celebrating though. Last year was a big sigh of relief that we finally beat the teams we should beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT