ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 1 - Match/discussion thread

I live about an hour north of Boone and get down to see Appy two or three times each winter. Great little town, very sports oriented and good bars. SoCon wrestling can be surprisingly good at times.
Yeah, like Boone, reminds me a bit of a smaller State College, PA.

Are you in NC or over toward VA and TN?

I seriously doubt the brace is the problem.

Much more likely instability, lack of strength, pain, and especially lack of confidence and trust.

IMO, these have to be the first full-gas live goes for Carter since the injury. He undoubtedly pushes it and tests his knee strength in practice and training, but that can't duplicate the intensity of an actual match where the guy he's wrestling wants to tear his leg off and earn his street creds by beating a legend.

I expect him to do just enough to win throughout the tourney, whatever that looks like against each opponent.

Not sure I agree with that, Spiedell, Koll, Lorenzo and Fitz consistently had PSU in the hunt at Nationals and produced a lot of AAs and Champs. It wasn't until Sunderland that the program took a huge dropoff Nationally. Fitz was coach when PSU began wrestling in B1G and he did quite well actually - if I remember correctly, they fired him because of some incidents involving wrestlers and they felt he did not run a tight enough ship in regards to his athletes behavior on campus.
Agree. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ with my statement. PSU always had a strong wrestling history. Imo could have been better that's all. You mentioned the Fitz situation. Was one of the incidents having to do with wrestlers riding the luggage conveyers at an airport?lol. I assume Fritz's situation was more than that. WE ARE!!!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
I have a feeling and he's that good I think we all spend a lot of time talking about carr and Keegan but hamiti is terribly long and dangerous

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not sure I agree with that, Spiedell, Koll, Lorenzo and Fitz consistently had PSU in the hunt at Nationals and produced a lot of AAs and Champs. It wasn't until Sunderland that the program took a huge dropoff Nationally. Fitz was coach when PSU began wrestling in B1G and he did quite well actually - if I remember correctly, they fired him because of some incidents involving wrestlers and they felt he did not run a tight enough ship in regards to his athletes behavior on campus.
From 1990-99, PSU placed 6, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5, 4, 10, 4 and 4 at NCAAs. Not exactly mediocrity. My recollection was that Fritz was looking at hip surgery and didn't feel he would be able to coach any longer. So he was planning to resign. We had this discussion with him at Lehigh his last season. If that was just the "official" line, idk.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Agree. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ with my statement. PSU always had a strong wrestling history. Imo could have been better that's all. You mentioned the Fitz situation. Was one of the incidents having to do with wrestlers riding the luggage conveyers at an airport?lol. I assume Fritz's situation was more than that. WE ARE!!!
I have a HS friend who is a professor in the finance department at Penn State. He’s also a big wrestling fan. He told me a long time ago that Fritz made the mistake of being too chummy with the wrestlers. Having a close relationship with the guys is important, but at times, the head coach has to be the head coach. That includes setting boundaries for everyone and not encouraging behavior that can lead to discipline problems.

Everyone says that Fritz was a great coach and really well liked. He just made the mistake of forgetting that he was no longer a college student athlete.

Definitely whatever he has trained with and used to compete in Day 1, he should change that for Day 2 with no additional training or opportunity to adjust.
Considering that he is wrestling at 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 percent based on message board observers, a change in brace could ge thim to wrestle at 55, 65, 75, 85 or even 95 percent. But anything greater than a 72% Carter has a 96% chance to be a 110% Lewis as long as he weighs in at the 99th percentile. Of course all said in jest to point out the silliness of the observer evaluating athletic performance percentage.

Considering that he is wrestling at 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 percent based on message board observers, a change in brace could ge thim to wrestle at 55, 65, 75, 85 or even 95 percent. But anything greater than a 72% Carter has a 96% chance to be a 110% Lewis as long as he weighs in at the 99th percentile. Of course all said in jest to point out the silliness of the observer evaluating athletic performance percentage.
That was the same poster who said Carter should've wrestled at B10s to boost his conditioning.

Reactions: ikS and backdrft76
We sent practically my whole wrestling team to Fitz's camp in the early 80's. My kids loved him, and he loved the kids.

Prior to Cael's coming, a lot of people felt PSU was never as strong as it should have been. We knew PA was the center of wrestling in the USA. Tracking AA's, just like this year and starting in the 80's, PA had the most AA's of any state, usually by a lot. And yet, at Nationals, PSU was never quite there. I was among those who believed that if PSU could convince PA wrestlers to stay home, they'd become a reliable national power. Then Cael came and PSU became the ONLY national power. I'll admit, that wasn't on my radar.

re: wrestling from knees
I won two of my biggest bouts in college when my opponents went to their knees from neutral. When they did that I hit them with a front-on rush, bowling them over backwards for 2. I felt they didn't have a strong enough base when they went to their knees. And I confirmed that by a frontal attack. One disclaimer: in both instances, the other kid's knees went into my stomach as he went back, and I was gasping for breath for about an hour after my bouts. You take the bitter with the batter.

re: wrestling from knees
I won two of my biggest bouts in college when my opponents went to their knees from neutral. When they did that I hit them with a front-on rush, bowling them over backwards for 2. I felt they didn't have a strong enough base when they went to their knees. And I confirmed that by a frontal attack.
Absolutely agree. My experience is that when a wrestler drops down to one or two knees, there is a split second opportunity where they are not completely stabilized. If you can catch them at that point with a hard backwards push, they'll go over.

The complaint is about guys like Mason Beckman who drop to a knee from 25 ft away.

If you're disengaged from the opponent and drop to a knee, it's stalling.

Don't disagree - the Ref can tell him such (i.e., you're inactive.... last warning, next time it's stalling...).
I'm sure. My response was just to point out the sillyness of judging Carter's percentage when in fact it is something that can never be determined.

Exactly. Carter wanted to wrestle at B1Gs, and apparently his private physician was telling him he was good to go...., but you have know-it-alls on here telling everyone they know exactly the condition of his knee when they are talking completely out of their lame asses.

Don't disagree - the Ref can tell him such (i.e., you're inactive.... last warning, next time it's stalling...).

Exactly. Carter wanted to wrestle at B1Gs, and apparently his private physician was telling him he was good to go...., but you have know-it-alls on here telling everyone they know exactly the condition of his knee when they are talking completely out of their lame asses.
Tell me you don't understand the intent of my post without telling me you don't understand the intent of my post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT