ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 1 - Match/discussion thread

Some of the tougher elimination bouts happening already tonight:

125: 5 Volk vs (former AA) 21 Kaylor
141: 7 Happel vs 10 Jamison
174: 5 Conigliaro vs 12 Kennedy
184: 8 Wolf vs 9 Berge
After what I saw this morning… am I wrong to feel 133: 10 Nagao vs 26 Moore belongs on this list? 😕

My take on the two losses plus Carter & Beau:

Nagao he is a different guy than last year. Why, I have no clue. He could go on a run but as of this moment it doesn't look good.

Kasak - I chalk that loss up to rookie mistakes. He out-wrestled him the whole match and had some crucial strategic and positional brain farts to be honest. I like his chances and where his game is. I would not be shocked if he goes on a Nick Lee like back side tear from here. He is talented.

Carter - that match didn't convince me the conditioning, the injury or even the on the mat mind is where it needs to be. We will find out soon enough. At least he had the first match test behind him. He definitely throttled back several times during that match and I have no problem with that approach. PS that kid was probably pinned.

Beau - if he screws around like that with better kids he won't like the outcome. He dominated that same guy in the dual. One miscalculation late in a match and you are bounced. I hope the rest of his matches we have someone else going at the same time so I can watch that match instead.

Nice first round overall. The guys on the backside keep it exciting. Finish tonight with everyone having to make weight in morning.
OK - you have 2 hours until the next round, and I have some serious framing to finish if I can just get enough lumber. If I have to stop work, it's on your nickel. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side and 1AA
OK - you have 2 hours until the next round, and I have some serious framing to finish if I can just get enough lumber. If I have to stop work, it's on your nickel. 😆
Lunch and cocktails at local dive bar. Ill get you a drink🤘

Reactions: danoftw
I’m 97% sure Davis hurt his left hand in the 1st period. When it happened, he snapped around with a pissed off look on his face to his opponent. I think he caught it again late in the 3rd. I’m sure they will give him some medicine and tape him up.
He did, as he was escaping. Was clearly bothering him the rest of the bout. Concerning to me because he needs all of those digits functioning well especially for his bottom game.

Reactions: mcpat
Great round. Not ever caring about 10 AA’s or points records helps. So does leading, with 8 still topside. So does knowing we aren’t the only school with tough kids in a tough sport chasing their dreams. We’ll lose more matches, perhaps as early as tonight. Hell, sometimes the other kid is just better for those seven unique minutes. But as we’ve happily learned these last 13 years, most times, they aren’t.

Nagao has to get a td because this kid isn’t going to go under him in the 3rd

Nagao looks to be toast, down 12-3 in 3rd period. Yarbrough just much better on his feet than Nagao, who looks sluggish.

Saw this coming nearly 2 months ago after Nagao lost to Ragusin.... Commented that is Neutral Defense was not good against elite opposition and he lost nearly every scramble against AA-caliber opponents - even when he started with superior position. Caught grief at the time for saying he would not AA.... but not surprised at the result today - he is not good in Neutral, offensively or defensively.

If 2 PSU guys on at once, pull both their mats up. Watch what you want, then watch the other match by using the slider below the window to go back in time.
I tried to do a split screen but didn't see an option for that. I thought about opening another browser.

Anyone see Seth's match against Hendrickson? From what someone posted here, it sounds like he almost had him.
Yeah he looked good. Got down 3-0 or maybe 6-1 then got an escape and took Hendrickson to his back to go up 7-3/6 I think it was. Actually defended pretty well from there on but just too much pressure from Hendrickson

Reactions: AgSurfer
How ‘bout some National Championship t-shirts?

Or we could just refrain from badmouthing our wrestlers anytime that they don't live up to someone's expectations. It's one thing to be disappointed and another entirely to make stupid cracks about trading him back for jock straps. Geez Louise some people are insufferable on this board during the championships (not referring to you Bosco2).

Both Nagao and Kasak have pretty good paths on the backside until the blood round. Blood round is always tough so no surprise there. I can definitely see Kasak getting there. Nagao should as well but the version we saw this morning is going to have trouble. Hopefully he can get on top and punish some people. Truax was by far the best surprise. I expected him to win but he looked incredible. If he keeps wrestling like that I really think he could make the finals. Tons of upsets throughout the tournament like usual but I think my biggest surprise was Chittum getting absolutely destroyed. Pretty sure he lost 17-6 to Askey. Definitely not the biggest upset seed wise but I just never ever would’ve picked that result especially with how bad it was. Time is ticking away so slowly right now! We still have an hour and a half til more wrestling?! ****!

A few notes;

125: Ramos was the big winner. His path to the SFs now goes thru the 20 seed and then (likely) the 12th seed. (Instead of the 13 and the 5 seeds).

133: With the way Crookham struggled (4-3 vs 31), you prob feel pretty good if your facing him tomorrow morning after weigh-ins. Might see a run to the semifinals by Little Rock here.

141: Things fell Beau’s way with Matthews, Happel and Jamison all losing. He won’t face a sub 15 seed until the semifinals.

174: Griffith was the big winner; his path to the semifinals is the 13 seed followed by the winner of the 21 and 28 seeds.

184: Keckeisen the beneficiary as he’ll see the 17 seed followed by the winner of the 24 and 25 seeds to get to the SFs. Salazar vs Rogotzke tonight might be interesting.

I recommend posting “WOW!” and “Inconceivable!” 🤪
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

It happened at the end of the first period. At least, that was the first indication he gave.
It looks to me like 2 different issues. The first occurred at the end of the first period due to the way Lujan was pulling on his hands/fingers to attempt to get the escape. Davis seemed more concerned with his fingers there and didn’t seem to bother with his thumb. The second occurred at the end of the 3rd where Davis was snapped hard and seemed to jam his thumb and possibly dislocate it. He then kept shaking it out for the remainder of the match. I suspect he got it fixed up and will have it taped for the next match and will be equally as injured as everyone else at this tournament.

Nagao draws 26 seed Moore and then most likely 24 seed Chelebove. Then it’s probably 16 seed Bouzakis, who beat Nagao in the dual meet, holding off Aaron’s 3rd period comeback. If he can win that, he’ll have to beat the loser of 3 seed Orine and 6 seed Arujau to reach the podium.
Sounds like a plan.

Reactions: mcpat
A few notes;

125: Ramos was the big winner. His path to the SFs now goes thru the 20 seed and then (likely) the 12th seed. (Instead of the 13 and the 5 seeds).

133: With the way Crookham struggled (4-3 vs 31), you prob feel pretty good if your facing him tomorrow morning after weigh-ins. Might see a run to the semifinals by Little Rock here.

141: Things fell Beau’s way with Matthews, Happel and Jamison all losing. He won’t face a sub 15 seed until the semifinals.

174: Griffith was the big winner; his path to the semifinals is the 13 seed followed by the winner of the 21 and 28 seeds.

184: Keckeisen the beneficiary as he’ll see the 17 seed followed by the winner of the 24 and 25 seeds to get to the SFs. Salazar vs Rogotzke tonight might be interesting.
Not sure the seeds mean a ton at 125 tbh. Poulin every bit as likely to beat Ramos as Surtin would have been and same with Noto/Volk. Not as sure about Sotelo.

Taped upIt looks to me like 2 different issues. The first occurred at the end of the first period due to the way Lujan was pulling on his hands/fingers to attempt to get the escape. Davis seemed more concerned with his fingers there and didn’t seem to bother with his thumb. The second occurred at the end of the 3rd where Davis was snapped hard and seemed to jam his thumb and possibly dislocate it. He then kept shaking it out for the remainder of the match. I suspect he got it fixed up and will have it taped for the next match and will be equally as injured as everyone else at this tournament.
If Robles can win it without a leg Davis can win it without a hand.

are you afraid of the dark doll GIF

Justin Long Movie GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I just got home and I’m watching the first rd on DVR. I was in meetings all day jonesing like a monkey coming off meth. I had to settle for watching the little reds vs the fighting greens on Track. Damn these companies, don’t they know what time of year it is?

A few notes;

I'll predict Stevo will beat Ramos.

A few notes;

I wouldn’t read into Crookham’s match that much. Leete is visually impaired and his matches are all wrestled under constant contact rules. That is a tough thing to deal with especially in your first NCAA match. When Crookham is allowed to wrestle from space tonight I bet he looks better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT