ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

I think Davis has a legit claim to the #1 seed. Stanich's two losses (Figs and Spratley) are much worse than Davis' (Ayala and Smith).
Losses aren't part of the NCAA seeding criteria.

Stanich will be ahead of Davis in both Coaches' Rank and RPI. Davis wins Win %. They're tied in Conference Placement, H2H, and Common Opponents.

That leaves Quality Wins -- Davis might surpass Stanich here.

Some people have lost their damn minds over this. There's some Area 51 level stuff floating around here. Thankfully we haven't hit GIA level conspiracies yet.

Your, and the OP's, notion that Cael makes the final determination is utter nonsense - Cael is largely in the same position as Carter, it matters not whether he wants him to go or not. The Team Physician does not report to the any of the Coaches, or AD for that matter. You are full of shit in your belief he does. Just as you are full of shit in your notion that CS doesn't believe he was intentionally misled to his own embarrassment.

If you think the team physicians really have the last word you are kidding yourself. Their opinions are taken into consideration, and the various odds of further injury, etc are considered. They don't have the last word, even though they should.

It will be a blemish on the University - no way someone gets this pissed-off unless they believe they were intentionally misled. Apparently several hundred supporters from Erie showed up at College Park for B1Gs (got the tickets, lodging, etc....) only to be treated to two MFFs he knew he was MFFing and told them all to come check it out [insert eyeroll].
I'm pretty sure tickets for the tournament sold out some time ago. It's likely a bunch of his friends and family bought tickets a long time ago and still went because they thought he'd go.

I assumed that there were some things the coaches wanted to see before they let Carter go. It was probably something like range of motion and having him press off on that leg. If he couldn't do it without pain they had him mff.

If you think the team physicians really have the last word you are kidding yourself. Their opinions are taken into consideration, and the various odds of further injury, etc are considered. They don't have the last word, even though they should.

They do have the last word your full of shit - and they don't report to anyone in the Athletic Department. You don't understand Concussion Protocol very well if you really believe the final word is with the coach - it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you, you're wrong - don't know what you're talking about.

Your, and the OP's, notion that Cael makes the final determination is utter nonsense - Cael is largely in the same position as Carter, it matters not whether he wants him to go or not. The Team Physician does not report to the any of the Coaches, or AD for that matter. You are full of shit in your belief he does. Just as you are full of shit in your notion that CS doesn't believe he was intentionally misled to his own embarrassment.
you are full of shit if you believe the team physician couldn't have said CS was a go, but Cael said no reason to risk it, let's focus on the big prize
I should have just stopped after the first 5 words of this post

They do have the last word your full of shit - and they don't report to anyone in the Athletic Department. You don't understand Concussion Protocol very well if you really believe the final word is with the coach - it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you, you're wrong - don't know what you're talking about.
CS did not have a concussion ... you are an idiot

I'm pretty sure tickets for the tournament sold out some time ago. It's likely a bunch of his friends and family bought tickets a long time ago and still went because they thought he'd go.

Not the case - they may have already had tickets, but Carter told his own family he was wrestling. Carter believed he was wrestling - you really think he is this pissed-off without believing he was significantly misled?

Reactions: hlstone
you are full of shit if you believe the team physician couldn't have said CS was a go, but Cael said no reason to risk it, let's focus on the big prize
I should have just stopped after the first 5 words of this post
Pretty easy to settle this argument. They need both to clear a wrestler.

I am not talking about concussion protocol. THat should follow the accepted protocol that I. have discussed in the past . I am talking about the process of deciding when athletes are cleared to compete following a musculoskeletal injury that is not a life or limb threatening condition.
In professional sports the team has the final say. In high school sports the athlete and their parents have more say and the coach has less say. In college, especially with athletes who are on scholarship, the team has less say than in the pros and more than in high school. In addition to the medical information, there are other considerations, even though I think the medical people should have the last say.
In cases where there is clear evidence that participation is going to hurt the athlete, the medical input is usually sufficient. In less clear cut cases, where the likelihood of significant additional injury is less, there is more input from the athlete and coaches. Whether we like it or not, there are aspects of liability, gains to the school both in money and prestige, gains to the athlete (gaining or losing position in pro drafts for example), athletes desire to compete even with chance of further injury. These all go into the decision, and frequently do not involve the medical people other than to give their initial opinion.
We all know that there have been wrestlers competing with a variety of injuries, some of which require surgery to correct. I doubt that in all those cases the medical people have said that they recommend the athletes participate.

Losses aren't part of the NCAA seeding criteria.

Stanich will be ahead of Davis in both Coaches' Rank and RPI. Davis wins Win %. They're tied in Conference Placement, H2H, and Common Opponents.

That leaves Quality Wins -- Davis might surpass Stanich here.

Ayala vs Davis for seeding

H2H Ayala 25
RPI Ayala 10
Coaches Rank Ayala 10
Conference placement Davis 15
Win % Davis 10
Results against common TBD
Quality wins TBD

Not saying Ayala will be seeded higher but it will be close.

I am not talking about concussion protocol. THat should follow the accepted protocol that I. have discussed in the past . I am talking about the process of deciding when athletes are cleared to compete following a musculoskeletal injury that is not a life or limb threatening condition.
In professional sports the team has the final say. In high school sports the athlete and their parents have more say and the coach has less say. In college, especially with athletes who are on scholarship, the team has less say than in the pros and more than in high school. In addition to the medical information, there are other considerations, even though I think the medical people should have the last say.
In cases where there is clear evidence that participation is going to hurt the athlete, the medical input is usually sufficient. In less clear cut cases, where the likelihood of significant additional injury is less, there is more input from the athlete and coaches. Whether we like it or not, there are aspects of liability, gains to the school both in money and prestige, gains to the athlete (gaining or losing position in pro drafts for example), athletes desire to compete even with chance of further injury. These all go into the decision, and frequently do not involve the medical people other than to give their initial opinion.
We all know that there have been wrestlers competing with a variety of injuries, some of which require surgery to correct. I doubt that in all those cases the medical people have said that they recommend the athletes participate.

Again, in NCAA Sports, the Team Physician must clear the athlete - and the Team Physician does not answer to the coach.

Just because they are cleared doesn't mean the coach is required to let them compete. If you think the docs don't come under pressure about clearing athletes you are mistaken.
I believe that there was a big lawsuit at Penn State over docs being fired and replaced, based mostly on how athletes were cleared/treated.

That was insane.

However, after watching that I think he’s gonna have a really hard time with KOT
You predict he will have a hard time against a 2 time returning national champion? Riveting insight! lol just busting your balls but of course KOT is going to be really hard

In that case why the hell wasn't Barraclaugh out there. Hell no I'm not leaving it alone: You can't have it both ways. Either he can't go and this was blown by WHOEVER, or he can go and they said no, and now he's in State College.
Do you honestly believe anyone expected you to "Leave it alone" Las Vegas wouldn't even give odds on that happening :)

Ayala lost twice to the guy Davis is 2-0 against Drake will be looking at a 3-6 seed.
Common opponents should go to Davis.

DeAugustino 2-0 against Ayala. 0-2 against Davis
Kaylor 1-0 against Ayala. 0-1 against Davis
Caleb Smith 0-1 against Ayala. 1-0 against Davis.
McKee 0-2 against Ayala. 0-1 against Davis.
Both beat Peterson and Barnett as well.

Ayala will stay ahead in RPI and if he stays ahead in coaches he will be at 45 points. Davis will have win %, common opponent and conference finish for a total of 35.

Quality wins can be split 20/0, 15/5, or 10/10.

Ayala vs Davis for seeding

H2H Ayala 25
RPI Ayala 10
Coaches Rank Ayala 10
Conference placement Davis 15
Win % Davis 10
Results against common TBD
Quality wins TBD

Not saying Ayala will be seeded higher but it will be close.
I can see that -- not sure how Ayala stays ahead in the Coaches' Poll, though that's not always predictable.

But will Ayala beat enough of the other guys in the seeding simulation, who he doesn't have H2H over?

Just because they are cleared doesn't mean the coach is required to let them compete. If you think the docs don't come under pressure about clearing athletes you are mistaken.
I believe that there was a big lawsuit at Penn State over docs being fired and replaced, based mostly on how athletes were cleared/treated.
Dr. Scott Lynch, 1984 NCAA 134 pound champion. He claims that he was wrongfully demoted.

Reactions: Ski
I can see that -- not sure how Ayala stays ahead in the Coaches' Poll, though that's not always predictable.

But will Ayala beat enough of the other guys in the seeding simulation, who he doesn't have H2H over?
Very true. 125 will be nuts for seeding and people will be bitching no matter what. 😃😃 I just hope DeAugustino is opposite Ayala.

Very true. 125 will be nuts for seeding and people will be bitching no matter what. 😃😃 I just hope DeAugustino is opposite Ayala.
125 seeding:

16tK.gif

I would question this statement. Team physicians dictate concussion returns. Currently an ex football team doctor is suing James Franklin and Penn State for not following proper procedure.
I think Cael looked at the big picture and Carter was living for the moment.
I believe if this past weekend was NCAAs Carter wrestles and Cael would of had no issue with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT