ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 6 (Finals) Thread

When did Cael throw a chair? I guess I need a Flo subscription or something...

Cael lost his cool & threw a chair after the infamous J'Den Cox roller skating win across a puddle of sweat vs David Taylor at World Team Trials several years ago.

Cael should have thrown the ref across the mat, but he's too polite for that behavior.

When did Cael throw a chair? I guess I need a Flo subscription or something...
He flipped a chair over on to the mat when David Taylor and Jaden Cox wrestled. The mat was a slip 'n slide due to sweat and Taylor was pushing Cox across the mat like a sled. They didn't stop to wipe the mat and Taylor couldn't finish a TD and lost. Cael.....and thousands of others......were a bit upset.

All true. Google it some time. It was bad enough that a high school sports hero (in the 80s when this shit was condoned) actually got suspended for an entire year. If it happened today, it would be front page news.

still not as bad as Cael throwing a chair:rolleyes:
This is true, there is a court record available online but doesn’t give the details

He has probably had to listen to Brands dribble gibberish in his ear about how they got screwed all night and he needs to go out and win it for all the hawkettes who were screwed out of the proper stalling points and victories.
Pretty sure this is mostly in jest, but 4 years in that program could probably brainwash most anyone a little bit.

Spencer wrestles for Iowa and Iove watching him wrestle and I love watching as he shakes hands and walks off the mat after every victory. There is nothing unlikable about Spencer.

meh. In HS he would stand over and peacock kids he pinned who were clearly outmatched. I know I’m in the huge minority here but I never liked him. He did change in college and was definitely more likeable these days

I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but it’s accurate

Disappointing that some on here would be critical of Spencer after that interview. He just went through hell and they stuck a mic in front of him right off the mat. He didn't denigrate his opponents. The trials almost certainly loom large in his mind as well.

I'm sure you all were pissed at Bo after his post match interview when he pinned Martin too.

Disappointing that some on here would be critical of Spencer after that interview. He just went through hell and they stuck a mic in front of him right off the mat. He didn't denigrate his opponents. The trials almost certainly loom large in his mind as well.

I'm sure you all were pissed at Bo after his post match interview when he pinned Martin too.
If Spencer pinned Suriano to clinch the title he could say whatever he wants and I seriously doubt anyone would complain.

but again, I will add that I’m in the extreme minority who has never liked him (unreal wrestler, never liked his attitude)

If Spencer pinned Suriano to clinch the title he could say whatever he wants and I seriously doubt anyone would complain.

but again, I will add that I’m in the extreme minority who has never liked him (unreal wrestler, never liked his attitude)

Personal note (after a couple of glasses of red wine): Each year and for quite a while, just before the NCAA finals, I put in a hard timed run of a mile on the track or a measured course on the road (after a number of miles warm up) and imagine what it is like to push it again for seven non-stop minutes on the wrestling mat.

I almost always chose a particular Penn State wrestler to focus on as I run and usually select a guy I know has a relentless drive and gas tank. In the past, I recall picking Nico and Zain, among others, who were in the NCAA finals that day.

Today (about 5:00 or 5:30 PM), I picked Nick Lee and for some reason, I decided to go for 8 minutes instead of the usual timed mile distance (6 to 6 1/2 minutes). Subconsciously, I probably thought there was a good chance for OT and kept pushing the pace after hitting the mile mark until almost reaching a mile and a 1/4 at 8:02.

Watching three guys in a row pull it out after 7 minutes in regulation in SV (overtime), I took an extra vicarious delight in the wins at 133, 141, and 174. Not, of course, because I did anything to help, but rather because I could better imagine the intensity and focus of pushing it past what you think your limit actually is.

Congrats to the Four Horseman! And thank you for the inspiration. We all need something to help us get by after a long year of quarantine and social deprivation. Here's to looking forward to an even better 2021.

All true. Google it some time. It was bad enough that a high school sports hero (in the 80s when this shit was condoned) actually got suspended for an entire year. If it happened today, it would be front page news.

I hinted about this over there when a couple of the most knowedgeable were talking really stupid. It doesn't bring out the heroes that want to fight against all the other injustices in the world like ankle rides, roids,slush, Ali shuffles, Teasdale,etc

There's a federal case involving a temporary restraining order filed on Brand's behalf lifting the suspension and allowing him to compete in the post-season. He lost the case and couldn't compete during the rest of the post-season. No position was taken by the court on his guilt or innocence in the alleged incident giving rise to the TRO. This case was more about the school's right to suspend him. But Iowa no doubt knew about the incident when he was recruited, so he's long been absolved by Gable.

I think part of his snark came from his discussion with one of the Brands Bozos right after he won. Looked like his coach was giving him shit about something, neither were smiling.

Even going up to get team trophy Brands looked like a miserable prick and their team didn’t look line a team that just won team Natty.

Thank goodness for our staff and their demeanor.
I noticed the same thing. It looked like Brands had his panties in a bunch with Spencer right after the bout and it looked like Lee was giving it right back to him. I remember thinking at the time “the kid just won a national title, what could you possibly be pissed about?”

I noticed the same thing. It looked like Brands had his panties in a bunch with Spencer right after the bout and it looked like Lee was giving it right back to him. I remember thinking at the time “the kid just won a national title, what could you possibly be pissed about?”
I couldn't really tell. He may not have been mad at all. He's not exactly one to smile a lot.

That’s exactly what I thought when it happened
The comment about Sasso having to pay the Steiber tab you're referencing involved District 11 kids. Oliver when he threw his silver medal in the garbage spoke volumes on how he felt about the call.
Sasso should of won that match last night. He would of under Penn State coaching mentality. the Ohio State philosophy is more conservative on creating scoring opportunities.

Last edited:
you don't see the problem with your proposed solution?

as a FWIW, all the medals for the previous weight class are handed out after the following weight class match is completed. So the winner that you are proposing be interviewed is, at that very time, joining 7 others at that weight class to receive their medals on the awards stand. In short, your proposal would not work.
They could interview the PSU guys before the session starts.......... ;)

Kid is seriously jeopardizing his freestyle career for those bozos. Taking advantage of his willingness to sacrifice. He should take a med next year and heal up

Did they take AD off his meds 8 days ago and he took it out on Spencer again? All
Kidding aside I hope Spencer heals quickly but this has to be bad timing with the upcoming trials.
That is why there are Olympic Red Shirts. Spencer was chasing two goals at once, team title for Iowa and Olympics. He got the team title, however the Olympics was probably more important for him. For the OTTs, he is now at a disadvantage and you never know what happens down the road. Take Wade Schalles, in 76 fractured vertebra, in 80, Olympic boycott.

I know his resume is above reproach but Spencer hasn't wrestled freestyle is quite a while. I am sure he still has the chops but it is very different than wearing guys out with tilts.

I know his resume is above reproach but Spencer hasn't wrestled freestyle is quite a while. I am sure he still has the chops but it is very different than wearing guys out with tilts.
Spencer cut through the Senior Nationals field last year like a hot knife through butter. Granted, I don’t believe Fix, Gilman, or Suriano were there.... Still—I was looking forward to cheering for him, and thought he would be our rep. Very tough battle ahead.

Reactions: BoHunter0210
He has probably had to listen to Brands dribble gibberish in his ear about how they got screwed all night and he needs to go out and win it for all the hawkettes who were screwed out of the proper stalling points and victories.
You kid, but I seriously dont think Spencer likes being associated with that circus, he doesnt need Tom or Terry, the kid would be a NC if he had chose freakin Maryland.

I can! In fact, if you check the tape, I predicted 4-0, don’t mind the fact I said CASSAR would show up undertaker style to beat Stevenson again.

I'm sure glad Cassar got the unfocused Stevenson rather than this Stevenson. I would imagine it would still be a great bout but not sure what the outcome would be.

This is why I thought Kemmer would pull out the win tonight. Just thought is experience would be enough for the win. Sure glad I was wrong.

You kid, but I seriously dont think Spencer likes being associated with that circus, he doesnt need Tom or Terry, the kid would be a NC if he had chose freakin Maryland.

I can not be the only one who wonders if Lee likes the Iowa program outside of his fellow wrestlers. I did not see a lot of fun happening last night given that they had won a national championship. Is it possible that Lee might one day turn down the chance to coach at Iowa, as all their fans assume he will, and decide to be the successor to Carl? He has always fit the PSU-style and culture better than the Brand(s) of insanity in that program.

Im GUESSING but maybe (it was) Terry coaching him for interview
Definately not congratulatory type convo.

Or maybe he wanted thrown 🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
What an awesome night of wrestling that was. Penn State lost the war on paper but won all the battles that everyone will remember, three in SV against guys who are otherwise pretty clutch, two B1G results flipped from two weeks ago. Four new portraits go up on the wall of the wrestling room. Cael's legend somehow grew a size overnight.

Elsewhere, Griffith embarrassed Stanford's administration, which hopefully spurs some national press. Steveson dominated, looking like a different wrestler than the one Cassar beat twice. Sasso maybe got a little robbed. Lee delivered again, then pretended to have been motivated by everyone doubting him (c'mon...), then countered Steveson's round-off back hand-spring Hodge push with the revelation that he's been wrestling with torn ACLs (big deal, I've been wrestling* without ACLs for decades). DeSanto found a disturbing new way to distract and make news.

But I couldn't be happier for our four kids who showed up ready to execute a plan and just delivered.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT