ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 6 (Finals) Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Iowa has wrapped up the team title. PSU and Okla. St. are battling for 2nd place in the team standings as we head into the finals.

Please use this for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussions. If you're replying to another post, please use the Quote function.

When:
Saturday, March 20, 7 pm EDT

Where:
St. Louis, MO

TV:
ESPN

Video Stream:
I don't think there is a video stream. Perhaps you can access in ESPN3 -- I'm just not sure.

Audio Stream:
Jeff Byers's radio PBP will be streamed. The pre-session part of the show starts at 6:40 pm EDT, with the wrestling coverage at 7:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

PBP:
By tradition, I don't do PBP during finals matches involving PSU wrestlers. After all the PBP I've done over the course of the tournament, I want to sit back and enjoy the competition involving PSU wrestlers. I'll be posting in the thread -- just not PBP.

Team Scoring:
The best place, IMHO, to get updated team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site. You can access the virtual team scoring at:

Mat Assignments:
n/a, as they are only using 1 mat.

PSU has four guys in the finals. Best of luck to each of them!

Finalists by School
(4) Penn State 133, 141, 174, 184
(3) Iowa 125, 141, 174
(2) Oklahoma State 133, 197
(2) Pitt 165, 197
Arizona State 125
Ohio State 149
North Carolina 149
Rider 157
Iowa State 157
Stanford 165
NC State 184
Minnesota 285
Michigan 285

All-Americans by team
7 - Iowa
6 – Oklahoma State, Penn State
5 – Arizona State,
4 – Michigan, NC State
3 – Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio State, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, Rutgers
2 – Pittsburgh, Nebraska, Iowa State, North Carolina, Stanford, Illinois, Utah Valley, Wisconsin,
1 – Rider, Northern Iowa, Oklahoma, Central Michigan, South Dakota State, Wyoming, Northern Illinois, Cal Poly, Virginia, Bucknell, Fresno State, West Virginia, Appalachian State, Binghamton,
Note: 34 different teams have at least one All-American

All-Americans by conference
35 – Big Ten
16 – Big 12
11 – ACC
8 – Pac-12
7 – MAC
2 – EIWA
1 - SoCon

PSU clinches at least a share of 2nd with an RBY decision to start the night, correct? +4 makes the lead 6 points with only ferrari left for OSU. are there tiebreakers for team places?

35 – Big Ten
16 – Big 12
11 – ACC
8 – Pac-12
7 – MAC
2 – EIWA
1 - SoCon

Maybe the nimrods in the NCAA office will finally get the automatic locations correct someday ??

Are you joking?? omg!!! every freaking basketball game before wrestling goes into overtime!!!!!

PSUers wrestling in the Finals:

133 Final: RBY vs. Daton Fix (Okla. St.)

141 Final: Nick Lee vs. Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)

174 Final: Carter Starocci vs. Michael Kemerer (Iowa)

184 Final: Aaron Brooks vs. Trent Hidlay (North Carolina St.)

The Matches are starting with the 133 Championship, so RBY will be in the first match of the evening.

There’s been a void these past couple of days due to the absence of our board sage, El Jefe. Here’s hoping everything is ok.
Wedding anniversary weekend, still married. Pretty sure he has his attention focused where it needs to be.

PSUers wrestling in the Finals:

133 Final: RBY vs. Daton Fix (Okla. St.)

141 Final: Nick Lee vs. Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)

174 Final: Carter Starocci vs. Michael Kemerer (Iowa)

184 Final: Aaron Brooks vs. Trent Hidlay (North Carolina St.)

The Matches are starting with the 133 Championship, so RBY will be in the first match of the evening.
I have a really good feeling about this finals.

There’s been a void these past couple of days due to the absence of our board sage, El Jefe. Here’s hoping everything is ok.
I agree he is missed. He always has something good to say not to mention the gifs he comes up with. Hope all is well. In my prayers jefe

Reactions: Ja1339
Does anyone know if ESPN archives the championships immediately or anything? There’s a possibility I will miss the first hour, and I would rather not catch the second half of it without seeing the beginning. I would much rather wait until after the whole thing is over tonight, and then watch it on replay immediately (on ESPN3 or something).

I don’t have DVR/Tivo

Does anyone know if ESPN archives the championships immediately or anything? There’s a possibility I will miss the first hour, and I would rather not catch the second half of it without seeing the beginning. I would much rather wait until after the whole thing is over tonight, and then watch it on replay immediately (on ESPN3 or something).

I don’t have DVR/Tivo
All of last nights semi-finals were on YouTube within minutes of completion

Reactions: David Keller
Against Rivera last night, I saw a laser focus in Lee, above and beyond what I had seen before. If he brings that to the mat tonight, he will be tough to beat, period!
Yep and if rby uses his speed and doesn't lock up he can take fix down at will. We shall see. I'm hoping Cael is pulling the zen card right now and getting them all into the FUN mode. It's what we do

Yep and if rby uses his speed and doesn't lock up he can take fix down at will. We shall see. I'm hoping Cael is pulling the zen card right now and getting them all into the FUN mode. It's what we do
Before the finals in Cleveland legend has it Bo told Cael his plan was to let Martin take him down a couple times in the first to give them hope, and then pin him in the second. Cael thought Bo should come up a better plan.
So the zen card called for Bo to be taken down to his back to really give them hope, then grab the chin with an elevator.

That zen card is powerful.

Against Rivera last night, I saw a laser focus in Lee, above and beyond what I had seen before. If he brings that to the mat tonight, he will be tough to beat, period!
NL is clearly laser focused. JE is Bo like.......I thought Nick had a TD in the BTF, then JE cuts the corner and gets one of his own. The kid from NCST had a good shot and ended up on his back. 100% committed shot or nothing. I would like to see someone make JE have to be the aggressor.

Going to be wild. Our team is definitely in the Saturday Night mode.

Reactions: Ja1339
Finalists by School
(4) Penn State 133, 141, 174, 184
(3) Iowa 125, 141, 174
(2) Oklahoma State 133, 197
(2) Pitt 165, 197
Arizona State 125
Ohio State 149
North Carolina 149
Rider 157
Iowa State 157
Stanford 165
NC State 184
Minnesota 285
Michigan 285

All-Americans by team
7 - Iowa
6 – Oklahoma State, Penn State
5 – Arizona State,
4 – Michigan, NC State
3 – Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio State, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, Rutgers
2 – Pittsburgh, Nebraska, Iowa State, North Carolina, Stanford, Illinois, Utah Valley, Wisconsin,
1 – Rider, Northern Iowa, Oklahoma, Central Michigan, South Dakota State, Wyoming, Northern Illinois, Cal Poly, Virginia, Bucknell, Fresno State, West Virginia, Appalachian State, Binghamton,
Note: 34 different teams have at least one All-American

35 – Big Ten
16 – Big 12
11 – ACC
8 – Pac-12
7 – MAC
2 – EIWA
1 - SoCon
Might be interesting to add statistics for number of tournament qualifiers and average years experience per qualifier for schools having finalists.

Still 10 minutes left in this god awful basketball game. And it’s tied🤬

Ohh, Desanto. I can always count on your off-the-mat behavior to overshadow your wrestling performance.

Reactions: ccdiver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT