ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 6 (Finals) Thread

Casey is known as the man to the insiders....hopefully the fans hear more of this.

4 guys on staff that could be HCs just about anywhere. Yet their love for each other, kids they coach.....and ....a supportive admin keeps the band together.

#noyokos
It helps that
1. Cael ensures they are all paid very well
2. They have kids involved in activities and roots planted
3. The community has absolutely embraced them all.
4. There are other reasons, but the first 3 and a supportive administration tell the story.

The interview was disappointing and unnecessary. He just won his third title wrestling on two bum knees, and his team won, too. Doesn't get much better than that.

His Olympic chances took a bit hit with the injury. Anyone who doesn’t realize this is his top goal and doesn’t understand why he isn’t giddy at the moment is a little dense.

Agree 100%. They should be interviewing the winner of the previous weight after each match. Give them time to wind down and get their breath.

you don't see the problem with your proposed solution?

as a FWIW, all the medals for the previous weight class are handed out after the following weight class match is completed. So the winner that you are proposing be interviewed is, at that very time, joining 7 others at that weight class to receive their medals on the awards stand. In short, your proposal would not work.

Excuses are for wusses....love it

But it might have cost him an Olympic spot.

Long term his body might let him down. Hope not.
I thought he was injured at Big Tens. Eight days ago would be Friday. Was he injured in practice?

This was a season that really favored experience IMO. Bartlett, Joe Lee, Beard, Kerk and Howard got next to no experience prior to the postseason. I know Starocci didn't either but he's different. You give the other four freshmen a full season including a couple in-season tournaments and they do much better at nationals. A full season to train, a healthy Kerk along w/ SVN and Facundo coming in and Iowa won't have a chance.
I concur. Next year a lot of heavies will long for the day when they had the good fortune to face the mere shadow of the Kerk they saw this season. Give him a year to get fully healthy and prepared and I predict people will be comparing Kerk's dominance to Steveson's.

Being a Penn State fan has been an embarrassment of riches since Cael, Casey, and the other coaches came to town. There can be no doubt that this coaching staff has captured the magic formula to bring these guys to peak at the end of March every year. The year I felt let down at the championships was the year Marky Hall failed to repeat. We had 4 champs and I felt disappointment. This coaching staff makes the fans greedy.
Well, no disappointment tonight. I, trying to be realistic, thought we should win one tonight (Brooks), and maybe Lee could figure out a way to win. All of these guys figured out a way to win. It was another inspiring night for PSU.
All of the Nits wrestled to a game plan and stuck to the plan. That's great coaching.

‘People need to stop making judgements on a someone’s character based on an interview right after a match. I will admit it wasn’t the best look for Lee, but I have heard nothing but good things about him. I am not about to label the kid a dick based on that interview.
100% Agree. He watched 2 of his teammates.......one of who has been a longtime friend lose and he wins with no ACLs and you stick a Mic in front of him? I am sure he was glad to have won but disappointed in how his teammates did and the fact that the Olympics are coming and he has no ACLs.....one being a very recent tear. Hard to be bubbly under those circumstances. He has always been a class act......even after States his senior year. He has done nothing to show that has changed in any way.

Quick thoughts on the night.
I enjoyed all of PSU wins but if had to pick one I'll take Lee match. He willed himself to win that match. Great desision not to go under. You could see Eirman getting tired.
Refs made a difference in 2 of the bouts. Switch the refs in Bravo Young and Brooks bout and they both win with less tension. Hidley worked the edge and his only offense for 2 1/2 periods was trying to work aggressive underhook. Nobody wants to scramble with Brooks. If ref made Hidley wrestle earlier it would of benefited Brooks big time.
Starocci is just so solid defensively. He learned from his first match against Kemmerer.
Overall I think a full season of wrestling would of made a huge difference in the final team point total. A couple of guys would of worked through some growing pains and more bonus points would have been available.
Well done.!!! Next year should be fun.!!!!!

Being a Penn State fan has been an embarrassment of riches since Cael, Casey, and the other coaches came to town. There can be no doubt that this coaching staff has captured the magic formula to bring these guys to peak at the end of March every year. The year I felt let down at the championships was the year Marky Hall failed to repeat. We had 4 champs and I felt disappointment. This coaching staff makes the fans greedy.
Well, no disappointment tonight. I, trying to be realistic, thought we should win one tonight (Brooks), and maybe Lee could figure out a way to win. All of these guys figured out a way to win. It was another inspiring night for PSU.
All of the Nits wrestled to a game plan and stuck to the plan. That's great coaching.
I was thinking this all night, they coach these guys up for specific matches 100x better than any other team. I feel like that is only half the equation though, they need to get the wrestlers to believe in their methods. I'm sure it's tough for an athlete to give over control of their careers to a coaching staff but it obviously works.

BTW, it also had me thinking of the famous dual against Ohio State. After it was over and they were shaking hands Cael got Nick Nevills' attention and said "You can beat him" regarding Snyder. I always thought Cael had developed a strategy.

This was a season that really favored experience IMO. Bartlett, Joe Lee, Beard, Kerk and Howard got next to no experience prior to the postseason. I know Starocci didn't either but he's different. You give the other four freshmen a full season including a couple in-season tournaments and they do much better at nationals. A full season to train, a healthy Kerk along w/ SVN and Facundo coming in and Iowa won't have a chance.
already waiting for next year. incredibly proud of these young men tonight. no matter who returns next year for both teams, the space to grow is much wider for ps than for iowa. i doubt that iowa can score many more points than this year. the majority of our team is young and will get much better with a year in the weight room and a year wrestling in the best wrestling room in the country. pretty sure we can pick up another 13.5 points. thought i heard jeff say tonight that ps had no pins this tournament. don't ecpect that will happen again.

Last edited:
Umm Spencer's interview def came across a bit pissed off/annoyed, but DeSanto was banned from the medal ceremony for his actions... Spencer's still a helluva kid is seems
I think he doesn't like Iowa any longer. Fed up with the drama maybe?
Yep I think the excuses he was talking about were coming from team mates lol

I thought he was injured at Big Tens. Eight days ago would be Friday. Was he injured in practice?

He tore his knee in the Big Ten final.
Off the whistle.

There is a thread about it.
Spencer says "I tore my knee" - and he limped awkwardly afterwards.

Quick thoughts on the night.
I enjoyed all of PSU wins but if had to pick one I'll take Lee match. He willed himself to win that match. Great desision not to go under. You could see Eirman getting tired.
Roman, Nick, and Carter executed a perfect plan against exceptional (and favored) opponents. They took their opponents into deep waters and pounced when it mattered. Very impressive.

Aaron has been one of my favorites on the team since he showed up, but it would sure help my blood pressure if he would not let guys with a puncher's chance like Hidlay stick around late in a match. He's such a joy to watch and the final score tonight doesn't reflect how Aaron controlled that match. BTW, I have a feeling his ankle is bothering him more than he lets on. He came up hobbling during the semis match.

4champs.jpg

All true. Google it some time. It was bad enough that a high school sports hero (in the 80s when this shit was condoned) actually got suspended for an entire year. If it happened today, it would be front page news.

still not as bad as Cael throwing a chair:rolleyes:

Reactions: danoftw
All true. Google it some time. It was bad enough that a high school sports hero (in the 80s when this shit was condoned) actually got suspended for an entire year. If it happened today, it would be front page news.

still not as bad as Cael throwing a chair:rolleyes:
When did Cael throw a chair? I guess I need a Flo subscription or something...

Reactions: dsites52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT