ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

I like the outfield of ...Harper, Cutch and Williams/Altherr splitting time

Infield....Hoskins, Hernandez, Segura, Franco....with Kingery as super sub

Starters...Nola, Arrietta, Happ, Then the last couple spots battled out with Efflin, Velasquez, Eickhoff, or Pivetta

Bullpen??????

Just need to sign Harper and Happ

Think that would be a pretty solid team.

Reactions: Kmase21
If McCutchen hits .250 he's a god on this team. When I first heard of the deal I thought they threw in the towel on the younger premium FAs but there's still hope there and I'm liking the idea of having McCutchen the more I think it over.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I've been thinking Cutch still has it in him to return to his earlier form. Think it is a good sign for your Phils. With Polanco hurt to begin the season, I was holding out hope the Bucs would bring him back. Of course, that was a pipe dream and to be fair, it would have been a huge risk for the Pirates given their budget. Hope he pays off for the Phillies. Should be an interesting season for them.

Signing McCutchen freed up some of the young outfielders to be shopped around. Obviously Klentak is looking to build a solid roster which will be appealing to the super FAs. Money talks but no doubt both Machado and Harper are looking for a team which will be competitive from the get go. McCutchen and Realmuto (if it happens) are some good pieces.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If McCutchen hits .250 he's a god on this team. When I first heard of the deal I thought they threw in the towel on the younger premium FAs but there's still hope there and I'm liking the idea of having McCutchen the more I think it over.
Obviously not elite like he was. But still a strong OBP and great for the locker room. I am excited about it. Between Segura and Cutch, they will actually take some pitches and get on base.

disappointing to read, as the Mets are reportedly also involved in trying to obtain Realmuto.

Obviously not elite like he was. But still a strong OBP and great for the locker room. I am excited about it. Between Segura and Cutch, they will actually take some pitches and get on base.

Plus he's still relatively young and always in shape. That's been missing on the club. Tired of wad-asses not hustling and hopefully a veteran like him can rattle a few cages or at least lead by example. The manager doesn't count.

Realmuto would be a gift from heaven. I know Alfaro is young and has a nice arm but is a liability defensively and doesn't make up for it in the box.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Plus he's still relatively young and always in shape. That's been missing on the club. Tired of wad-asses not hustling and hopefully a veteran like him can rattle a few cages or at least lead by example. The manager doesn't count.

Realmuto would be a gift from heaven. I know Alfaro is young and has a nice arm but is a liability defensively and doesn't make up for it in the box.
Get Cervelli and I will be happy.

disappointing to read, as the Mets are reportedly also involved in trying to obtain Realmuto.

“Don’t have enough” is obviously code for won’t give it up. I’m sure Sixto, Hoskins, and Bohm would be plenty.

I’m glad. I don’t have confidence in Realmuto keeping up hitting stats like this, and I want to see what Alfaro can become. Giving up on him would be a mistake in my opinion.

Giving up on him would be a mistake in my opinion.

That's an understandable opinion given his age, but he can't be your every day C if you are serious about building a team this year to make a playoff run. I agree, he flashes signs of a potentially solid everyday guy but I don't see him as a guy who is going to take you to the playoffs and of course if they get rid of him he will haunt, as they all do, even complete loads like Barajas. :eek:

I hope Sixto gets a chance this year.

There is a pretty easy book on McCutchen. He can hit the fastball but has really struggled with the breaking ball. When a hitter has such an obvious hole, it makes pitching to him much easier. The ballpark will really help him but not sure what you do at this point in a career when you really struggle with breaking stuff.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
My Mets friend is beside himself over their off-season

I really don’t know what they are doing to be honest. You get Cano who is owed a ton of money and is signed through 2023 even though he is 36. That is a ton of dead money coming down the road. You got a nice pitcher in Diaz, can’t deny that. But now you’re talking about dealing Thor or your future in Rosario and Nimmo to get Realmuto? I guess they have a plan but I’m not buying what they are doing at all.

Behind Door #1 is Chase Utley. Behind Door #2 is Gabe Kapler. If you want to win a pennant, which door are you picking?

The collective baseball IQ of these guys is hovering around room temp. That's ALL of them, regardless of background. Utley could (or maybe he couldn't, I don't know) teach a little baseball savvy to these players. He had it. Hard to imagine they need it at this stage but they clearly do. That's all of them. Hoskins is not baseball smart, nor is Herrera, Alfaro, there are miles of tape on these guys. Not running, not sliding, forgetting the outs, not knowing the count, etc. Gabe comes out after games and says how great thou art. Not cool. I'm picking the door with the guy who has a ring and three pennants.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Makes sense given his age. Better ballpark for him to pitch in and better chance to chase a ring. Always felt the Phillies needed to be more aggressive than Yankees to get him.
The Phillies in general need to be aggressive to land any of these guys. I’m genuinely thinking they miss on their big targets. I suspect Machado is who they want and he wants to be a Yankee. Harper never had real interest in Philly. He’s playing the game and will wind up on the west coast. Wouldn’t it be something if the Angels paired him with Trout?

The Phillies in general need to be aggressive to land any of these guys. I’m genuinely thinking they miss on their big targets. I suspect Machado is who they want and he wants to be a Yankee. Harper never had real interest in Philly. He’s playing the game and will wind up on the west coast. Wouldn’t it be something if the Angels paired him with Trout?

The signing of McCutchen yesterday was a sign to me that the focus is Manny. My thought is that the Phillies have a lot of young players and want a strong veteran leadership in the clubhouse. I don’t think they want Manny to be the guy who influences younger players and they want a pro to be in that clubhouse every day. This team prepared for this offseason the last couple years, coming up empty would be a big fail for the front office. I still think Harper will get the most money from the Phillies but that might not be enough to get his signature.

Phillies fans should prepare for the real possibility that neither Machado or Harper signs with the Phils. It will be disappointing for many, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT