ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

You rightfully ain’t the biggest Gabe fan, the GM might actually be worse

A poor GM can burn through a lot of stupid money, rather stupidly. Middleton may be able to afford that, but Phils fans sure hope it doesn't happen.

True, they are hoping to be in position to pay Trout $500million.
What are the odds of Trout ever reaching free agency? I think the bigger issue here is Philadelphia not being a desirable locale for guys who can almost name their geography. There’s a big difference between having money (which many other teams can come up with) and getting the top guys to take yours over teams in LA, NY, etc.

What are the odds of Trout ever reaching free agency? I think the bigger issue here is Philadelphia not being a desirable locale for guys who can almost name their geography. There’s a big difference between having money (which many other teams can come up with) and getting the top guys to take yours over teams in LA, NY, etc.

I think he will get an extension offer this spring. The Players Association normally encourages its members to take the highest offer since every offer creates market and the highest deals raise all boats so to speak. But at some point Trout will want to play in the post season at least a couple of times and want to make a run at a ring. The Phillies making the playoffs this year would help attract further players going forward but my guess is the Angels put together a monster extension offer. I think it comes down to whether he sees the Angels being competitive. If not, Trout will start to assess a landing spot where he thinks the second half of his career will include post season play. The one thing we do know is he will get his money. If the Phillies can take another step forward this year it will help them. But how Trout reacts to an extension this spring will have more to do with how he feels about the Angels chances than how he feels about any other team including the Phillies.

Last edited:
Tailgate, (and all others) I enjoy your contributions. Well done. As a fan, outsider, who observes a lot just by watching, it seems ridiculous to me to pay a starter a big contract for ten wins. The age of the big stud ace is over. Especially on this club.

They want a million homers and want to take starters out between the 1st and 3rd innings. It doesn't make sense paying a big stud ace. Might as well break the bank for Harper now. I don't want Machado after his unapologetic laziness in the WS. Harper is a loafer too. If the Phils didn't get either of them I wouldn't care. Machado is worse. But in either event, don't break the bank for a starter.

Tailgate, (and all others) I enjoy your contributions. Well done. As a fan, outsider, who observes a lot just by watching, it seems ridiculous to me to pay a starter a big contract for ten wins. The age of the big stud ace is over. Especially on this club.

They want a million homers and want to take starters out between the 1st and 3rd innings. It doesn't make sense paying a big stud ace. Might as well break the bank for Harper now. I don't want Machado after his unapologetic laziness in the WS. Harper is a loafer too. If the Phils didn't get either of them I wouldn't care. Machado is worse. But in either event, don't break the bank for a starter.

I hear what you are saying but consider the impact Nola has on this team. Any club would want 3-4 more like him. The one thing I can’t wrap my head around is building your team on starting pitching and then doing a 180 in the post season and just turning the most important games into a bullpen contest. Look what happens to guys like Chapman, Miller, etc. All of a sudden, teams ask them to go 3 innings a night in the post season.

You can’t cook your pen in the season if you are thinking of competing post season. You really need to lean on your starters to get you there and then the game turns upside down. It’s the one part of the game I don’t understand to be honest.

And you’re welcome by the way. Soon, I’ll be huddling with the gang in Clearwater and will pass along any nuggets I learn.

I'll preface this by saying as a Pirates fan I'm looking at this from a smaller market perspective, but those reported figures of what Harper is asking (demanding?) would scare the heck out of me were I an owner. Risky as hell.

It’s 12/19......Early National (League) signing day.....do the Phillies have a fax machine?

Manny met with Phils today for 4+ hours plus dinner tonight. Met with Yankees for 90 minutes

So who are the top targets if the Phils whiff on Machado and Harper??
Good question. Some thought they could sign Moustakas. Not sure that is much upgrade from Franco. But could create more trade options to acquire another outfield bat or pitching. Even if they sign Machado, they really need a lefty bat. Hoping they do not throw money at Kimbrel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT